Devilman is just not a good story, period

Devilman is just not a good story, period.

It's influential, sure, but it's not good, period.

As much as you dislike that FACT, it's extremely overrated because it was very novel and daring, but having an edgy tragic story isn't an automatic win. It's simply not a satisfying story at all.

It's even worse when you consider that Go Nagai kept expanding the story and ended it with devilman lady, which has the retarded ending of everyone going to war against god, aka immediate defeat, (would you look at that, another jap misinterpreting Christianity)

Sure the anime has a nice production, doesn't changes the fact that the story itself is shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=diuexInkshA
i.imgur.com/qhwmBBX.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Story wise it's better than any anime that aired in the last few years, except maybe MiA. The story being "shit" is a very exaggerated statement (probably born from personal dislike and not objective perspective).

Agreed. Nagai can't write.

The story get most of its praise from being tragic. Sadly a lot of people think that tragic=Automatically good story. It's praised for being "bold" because the main character suffers an absolute defeat.

Of course, this is just the result of an edgy frustrated jap getting too much time for himself. The story itself is extremely short/minimalist and it's full of pants on retarded moments to bring the forecoming tragedy. For example how the whole world goes crazy after Ryo reveals there's demons, nobody bats an eye or questions him, and akira even sticks to him. Instead of showing people immediately that Devilmen are actually actively fighting demons

Can't draw either

It's even worse how the only people supposedly able to protect the world are a bunch of Devilmen. Yeah sure you got superpowers and all but you really don't matter in the big picture.

manmanmanmanmanman

Excuse me you seem to be thinking of Lazy Matsumoto

The animated series followed the original plot quite closely actually, you can't really blame them for a lame story.

I just finished it about 10 minutes ago. Gotta say, it had some interesting ideas, but a very very lackluster conclusion. Pretty dissatisfying

>what i say is correct and fact, period

Somebody have been spoiled by their parents.

Thats...exactly what the OP says

Go Nagai has been a creatively exhausted artist for quite some time now, he really is only hailed for inventing the mecha subgenre and the tropes established in devilman

>this thread again
guess you couldn't handle the bantz huh faggot

I acknowledge its many faults, but kept watching for that Yuasa style

>(would you look at that, another jap misinterpreting Christianity)
Oh, so this the reason why you are upset. Christcucks butthurt as usual ...

why are netflix originals always awful?

I am enjoying it so far, I will see where it goes.

That's because the beginning is actually very enjoyable. Wait until Episode 7 where everything takes a major nosedive

Good because Christianity is for cucks

t. Weak minded coward.

>Trying to imply that defying fate isn't a noble goal whether you are successful or not.

While I agree this happens a lot, I don't agree with your overall conclusion for this story.

Especially how it doesn't make sense that the world would go crazy..People kill each other on less substantial evidence. Mass hysteria . I do admit I would have liked to see more of the time before all humans started killing each other off, but I understand the anime had only so much time, and it was more focused on the whole love thing than the whole anti-war thing (though that's still there).

I am not saying it was as good as suggests.

>Devilman is just not a good story, period.
Bad stories doesn't exist, there's only bad execution.
Go learn something about storytelling and narrative analysis before talking about facts in fiction, moron.

Don't forget Cutey Honey and magical girls

The Devilman manga itself was a decent story for the era it was written in. The problem is that Nagai made Shin Devilman, Devilman Lady, etc. all of which add more and more outlandish shit like pic related.

see once again, i think your painting the story with one brush.
tragedy is the path of the story. what happens along the way and how they tear down walls and build up charaters is fantasitc. most generic animes want to either be a generic success shonen story or a wannabe mindfuck story. where in both plot is king over any other development in the story.

however DMCB is really good at doing the character development and more or less the reasoning behind why some people do terrible things to others insight of a higher goal.
now you could say its the same with cowboy bebop. its a tragedy

>ended it with devilman lady
What about Violence Jack?

>build up charaters
The characters are shit in the manga though. Akira is shallow at best, Satan is just gay and irrational (yeah, I get that "he acts like the god he hates and only finds out at the end" is deliberate, but it's not executed in an interesting way, he just... does his thing), Miki is only cute, everyone else is fodder

>Sure the anime has a nice production
I just finished a marathon and while I'm still debriefing myself on the story, the art is the one thing I had an immediate reaction too. It's not terrible, but the animation was definitely in the middle area of overall quality. Lots of recycled animations when people were running. Limb deformations that I can partially chalk up to trying to imitate poses from the original manga, but it still looks bad.

Definitely one of the more interesting things I've marathoned. I've known about devilman for years but never read the manga. Seeing this adaptation I'm more surprised by how quickly things escalate once the police state is put into effect. By the time I've registered we're heading into the apocalypse only a couple episodes have passed.

Uh I just watched it for the action my dude.

Violence jack didn't have a story either and was tits

I also watched Crybaby first and thought the pacing was really fast. Then I read the manga and the pacing in that seems even faster somehow?

people like to say the apocalypse is rushed, but the truth of the matter is, everyone got used to shounen series being overly long and don't understand that devilman came before all those dragonball and naruto shit and extending the apocalypse would also mean a longer dramatic scene and that would be boring as fuck.

Nagai has very good understanding of Christianity. Devilman and Maoh Dante are influenced by Gnosticism where God was a false deity and a cosmic sadist.

Nagai even wants us to take some of the good morals of the Bible like loving thy neighbor and turn the other cheek, while showing the God who preaches it is a two faved dick.

Jesus also exists but takes a different path from Satan in guiding man to the truth.

Id say it could be expanded by one more volume, but yeah we dont want to reach todays standards of two hundred chapters on a single war.

It was already expanded in side material like Neo Devilman. The deluxe edition also adds new pages to the original manga.

That should quell the complaints of the manga having an abrupt ending.

Devilman got famous for a reason, it's a good story done in 5 volumes. Naruto took 72 volumes of material to reach to the same conclusion.

I mean it's less to do with the state of serialized shounen, and more the fact that with all the episodes available in one go, and with how the pacing of the episodes changes almost at the halfway mark of the anime. It's very clear that things accelerate with no brakes and only gets faster as you watch each successive episode.

It almost feels like a different director for each half. On the first end it's more of a monster of the week episodic story, then it evolves into full on dystopia and I want to say it's when Taro dies that things just start running

OP is butthurt about a cartoon.

Not everyone will be on board, but that's just how Go Nagai does manga. Just go read Susano Oh if you don't believe me.

It's kind of amazing.

>but that's just how Go Nagai does manga
I can accept that. Dude is crazy from what I've read/heard.

>On the first end it's more of a monster of the week episodic story, then it evolves into full on dystopia
Yeah that's how the manga was too, they even stop the story to tell you that things were about to change.

How fast has Saga been going anyways? I dont know where potential raws might be but I heard its up to 64 or so.

Everyone reading this thread, ignore OP. He’s the same spic from /m/ who’s been trying to ruin Go Nagai related threads on /m/ for years now. He’s really mad that a Go Nagai adaptation is actually famous.

I think at this point the memes prevent the show from being good or bad, no?

>The author literally tells you that the Tragedy train is going to be pulling out of Drama station
Well alright then. That just put this series on the top of my reading queue.

It’s funny that another Go Nagai adaptation actually adapted this scene and the actual Devilman adaptation didn’t. Check Shin Mazinger’s episode 16 at the beginning.

You're an idiot, period.

Yeah in the anime.
You made it seem like you had read the manga which clearly you haven't.

Lady is just for laughs and fapping to rape.

The whole last volume is pretty bad but people overstate its weirdness and its rape content. Sometimes for jokes, but it seems to usually be because they haven't read beyond the first volume.

It's sandwiched between two different kinds of awful, but the vast majority of it is just a somewhat weird, well-executed action manga. It's pretty conventional.

This is so fetish weirdness manga/anime bait, i love it.

youtube.com/watch?v=diuexInkshA

if you told me this was initial D I would prolly be fooled.

I actually liked the last volume to an extent. But it was clear Nagai was rushed to end it. All of Juns Devilman comrades die, Kaim and Silene possess two of Juns cucks, Medusa becomes a cute girl again, all the bad demons encountered in the story die save for Zenon

I'm only about halfway through the show I expected it to be garbage as I watched an older anime in 99 and started reading the manga. It was perfect edgelord material back then and loved it.

So far it's been better than expected. A couple of little cringey things but it's not too bad.

>Medias quality can only be defined by plot
There's your first mistake.

This one's actually good though, don't listen to manga faggots who say its a terrible adaptation, it hits all the emotional beats really well (more effectively than the manga imo) and the animation is on another level compared to most of the trash that's been coming out.
Also, netflix had no involvement with it other than funding afaik.

>it hits all the emotional beats really well
bait. everything's rushed in the anime and doesn't stop to explain anything.

t.pablo

Off topic but, does anyone have a full version of this pic? without text?

Crybaby was my first venture into Devilman and I loved it. Can definitely see where the Berserk influence came from

>Amon merging with Akira
>Akira's parents
>Miki
>Delinquents were updated and given more personality
>The whole relay metaphor tying things together
The only thing I'd say that wasn't handled well was the beginning feeling rushed and the climax happening on episode 9, thus cheapening the actual conclusion, which had more of a jarring effect in the manga.

maybe jarring was the wrong word, what I meant was more sudden/shocking in a good way

Aoty 2018 and theres nothing you can do about it

I do, user. But Sup Forums is shitting itself.

Just finished ep 2. Is the pacing this bad throughout? There are things I like about this but not enough to waste a few more hours if it remains this disjointed and awkward.

Not trying to passive aggressively shit on it either. Just don't want to waste my own time if I can guarantee it stays the same.

Fucking anus.
I can't upload it here with Sup Forums like this, user. Found it here i.imgur.com/qhwmBBX.jpg
Godspeed.

>Akira is shallow at best
Not him but I disagree on that one. He goes from a fierce defender of mankind just to have that belief shattered when shit hits the fan and humanity shows its ugly side, nevermind that he still tries to believe in the goodness left in humanity (represented by miki and her family) just to see it vanish.

>Satan is just gay and irrational (yeah, I get that "he acts like the god he hates and only finds out at the end" is deliberate, but it's not executed in an interesting way, he just... does his thing),
I found ryo to be a very entertaining character, his craziness in his hunt for demons and his slow shift in beliefs from trying to save mankind until he regains his memories as Satan was one of the most entertaining thing in the story.

But this isn't what you are talking about, you are talking about Satan, not ryo. If you can explain us what you didn't like about how he realize that he isn't different from god, do it please. I found that part really nice as just like humans aren't different from devils, satan also isn't different from god andspell out one of the manga's messages that people seeing themselves as the good guys in a war aren't different from the ones they see as evil.

>Just finished ep 2. Is the pacing this bad throughout?
What is your issue with the pacing? Too fast, too slow or inconsistent?

Everyone reading this thread, ignore OP. He’s the same spic from /m/ who’s been trying to ruin Go Nagai related threads on /m/ for years now. He’s really mad that a Go Nagai adaptation is actually famous.

A mix of too fast and inconsistent. Mostly just too fast. Again not trying to make this some objective gripe I just want to know if the pacing remains the same.

They didn't emphasize this at all (and I admit it partly is due to some confusing plot points in the story, which seem to be a side effect of adapting and modernizing parts of the story), but when Ryo forced Koda to reveal himself as a demon, that was Akira's chance to reveal the existence of hero devilmen who will protect humans from demons.

However, Akira, being the pure hearted, kind, and naive soul that he is, refused to kill Koda and decided instead to save him. It's in line with his character. Akira is not calculating, he is simple minded. Akira deciding to save the life of a devilman was actually really significant, and I love the ending of episode 6 because of how much weight that decision carried.

If he killed Koda and revealed he was a human devilman who is able to control himself, then Ryo's original untainted plan of filming Akira and showing the world would have succeeded.

The story is overall good, and one of the best in recent years. However my biggest complaints are them not explaining/smoothening out some things that were confusing, and thus made it feel there were plotholes. They either didn't recognize they needed more explanation in certain areas of the story, or they were trying to skirt around the weak parts of the plot to hope you don't notice inconsistencies.

Part of the reason why things were so confusing is because Ryo's human side had different intentions than his Satan side. So whenever Ryo and Akira discussed something, often it felt like plot points were completely changed. It didn't help that Akira lost his memory of Sabbath. Ryo wanted to film Akira and show the world demons exist, while also making Akira a hero. However, even in the show's synopsis, it says that they went to Sabbath in order to turn Akira into a demon, which is only true in the original since in Crybaby Akira is tricked. Whenever Akira would say something like "this isn't what we planned!" I had lost understanding of what was or wasn't a trick.

The first episode's pacing is the worst out of all, the rest feels less rushed for sure.

Going off of a discussion from a previous Devilman thread ()

Can someone or anyone please ask Yuasa what's his take on God's role in the story of Crybaby and if there's any purposeful deviations he made from the original? I think that the ambiguity of his presence (especially with the near-lack of exposition from Satan) deserves some sort of answer especially since there's enough changes in the story to make comparisons between the original and Crybaby. I've seen anons argue it's meant to have the same point as the original where God is purposefully cruel and callous, but I've also seen some anons arguing from a different angle so I'm just really curious how Yuasa interprets his version of God in Crybaby.

>For example how the whole world goes crazy after Ryo reveals there's demons, nobody bats an eye or questions him
Everyone has seen the runner (forgot his name, turn into a demon). So of course they would believe ryo. Also the show only shows the moment where ryo reveals the existence of the demons and cut directly after he is finished so we don't know if further questionning occured.
> and akira even sticks to him
Akira is a simple minded being and Ryo was the only other guy that was fighting demons with him but he started questioning him and his methods after the sports events and as result distanced himself from him.
>Instead of showing people immediately that Devilmen are actually actively fighting demons
Hard to do that when a devilman went on a rampage at a sports event and kills several participants and that everyone saw it.

Hey thanks for responding. I gave it one more episode and the pacing's definitely cooled down to a point I'm comfortable with. I know it's silly but I might not have bothered without the confirmation, I was getting sort of fed up.