Anime set hundreds or thousands of years ago

>anime set hundreds or thousands of years ago
>characters say modern japanese loanwords from english

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_K13GJkGvDw
youtu.be/HTkLA-5j0AA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They probably also use some way too new chink loans but you don't know it.

>pre WWII japan
>anime shows white people

> character isn't ethnically Japanese
> speaking moon

That's for the benefit of the viewers and I doubt anyone here can understand medieval Japanese as it was really spoken. It's like trying to read Geoffrey Chaucer's English; you can't!

>Cyan used as OP image
>Not a Show By Rock!! thread

i don't think it should be like tale of genji, but hearing an ancient egyptian character say handsome loaned to japanese is like a character saying 'cowabunga' in game of thrones

It's just an isekai

You act like that's unusual. Stories are always in the modern tongue. You don't see anyone speaking Middle English or Old English in historical western stories, do you? No, and for damned good reason. Here's what Old English sounds like.

youtube.com/watch?v=_K13GJkGvDw

not using contemporary language of the time is fine, but there's a limit

using modern slang in game of thrones would be completely immersion breaking and nonsensical for example, saying hansamu in a show about ancient egypt makes no sense

good examples of language being used properly would be the new basilisk and arslan senki, it isn't ancient japanese but it's done in a way that makes sense

I'm not ethnically Japanese and I speak moon.

>Anime not set in Japan
>Itadakimasu!

Well see, the difference is that those are more serious shows, so they pay stricter attention to things like linguistic anachronisms. Anything with a lighter or more comedic intent I don't hold to as strict a standard.

Also, again, glass houses. Do you have any idea how stupid using "thee" and "thou" for old-timey speak is? Those were the informal familiar versions of "you" and "your", which were also in full use. Anyone saying "What is thine will, your majesty" would get the shit kicked out of them for treating the king with disrespect.

>Foriegn transfer student
>speaks perfect Japanese
>speaks Engrish
>"Wow your English is so good!"

i don't get what you're trying to say with the second part

I bet you're one of those people that get upset when they don't speak Ancient Greek or Vulgar Latin in Hollywood movies like 'Troy' and 'Gladiator'.

>"Wow your English is so good!"
Maybe that transfer student is from Latvia or something. Fuck's your problem with that?

that's the thing, i don't, using the exact language of the time doesn't make sense, but there are limits, you can't have characters in medieval times saying 'gnarly'

This. There's a difference between a messenger saying "greetings" in an early medieval setting and him saying "ay yo wus gud mah nigga"

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." It means anime's no worse than any other TV or movie made by westerners.

i agree but this is an anime board so why would i talk about that?

It is really unimmersive to hear loan words in a period where they simply didn't exist and always reminds you "oh in this universe US made japan its bitch in the 14th century, neat I wonder how they accomplished that".

>Hasn't read Japanese history at all
England would bomb domains every time one of their subjects was killed by a samurai. There was a movement to "expel the barbarians" and samurai took to killing gaijin merchants who were prominent. The entire fucking Boshin war that led to the Meiji restoration was over Western influence. The Tanegashima, which were as, if not more frequent than the katana in the Sengoku era, were introduced by Portugese traders.
You literally cannot tell a story about the decay and fall of the Shogun and rise of Imperial forces without bringing to light the presence of Whites in Japan, both physically and influentially.

anime is so shit

>Watching a pirate show
>A character says, "Yeah"

>anime set hundreds or thousands of years ago
>character eats a burger

>bread and meat didn't exist hundreds of years ago

>anime set in feudal Japan
>every time the time traveler uses modern loanwords they call it monkey language and make fun of him

I also cringe at EME being used by people who don't understand how it works. We're not talking about that since this isn't a thread for Bayeux memes or for a scanlation of something where the translator thought throwing a thou in would make it feel old-timey.

Well shit, metal and fossil fuels existed hundreds of years ago too so I suppose there's no reason for a medieval king to not be depicted charging into battle on a harley while wielding a streetsweeper.

The more likely outcome would be "oh yeah our language is really shitty and doesnt have words for everything, you must be a genius for coming up with a whole new word!"

Oda Nobuna wasn't about what was likely but it had a few nice touches. Eventually the other characters start finding it endearing. Never underestimate the xenophobia of the Japanese.

You just reminded me of this: youtu.be/HTkLA-5j0AA

>anime set on alien planet
>they use chopsticks and eat rice

The phone scene at the beginning of this was cool as shit

Name 5 loanwords

The whole thing was stealth kino.

arubaito (german), geimu, terebi, zero, depaato

So Japan?

Best kind of isekai of course.
A cyberpunk urban fantasy musical kemonomimi isekai.