Who should produce the anime?

Who should produce the anime?

No one. I actually read the story to the cardgame - Yes, it has a story - And it's trash.

They should create an anime with the same style as that old foxkids cartoon where you turn yourself in to the monster
Chaos something, i forgot
The MC has black hair and used to turn into a red brute

Agreed, official canon is just too shit.
However, a Yu-gi-oh style new story, themed around EDH would be great. A hundred cards means your MC can always pull some new bullshit with no repetition, the Commander concept inherently lends itself to a mascot character, and color distributions are perfect for creating a whole set of named characters around.

Preferably nobody because the manga was boring.

I basically only play EDH anymore and I think that'd be great. It'd be interesting to see what personality the animation could give to the cards based off aesthetics alone.
You could also make a more grounded story around players trying to be the best like no one ever was. EDH doesn't have a competitive scene as far as I'm aware, but I think it could work.

Like maybe in one episode the MC has to build a deck at the last second, so the story is about how they create strategies on the fly with cards they're not superr familiar with.
Maybe there's an antagonist who uses something similar to pic related, so the protagonist has to not only find counter strategies to what's in his opponents deck, but also to the stuff they use in their own library. Maybe it's the commander of choice to the shows Kaiba? Using your idea for giving character traits based off of the color combination, he could be some cunning rogue-type who like gamble-y risk reward strategies that use the opponents deck against them. Not necessarily a bad dude, but has a bit more edge than the MC.

The current story with the modern planeswalkers is pretty bad, but I'd love to see an anime about the Phyrexian invasion of Dominaria. Urza was practically made to be an anime character, and there aren't nearly enough anime about people flying around on an airship trying to save the multiverse from evil robots.

Phyrexians as the antagonist to anything sounds awesome. They're legitimately my favorite thing in mtg's lore.

I assume any shounen protagonist is required to be RG, with some kind of cutesy forest creature as their general

Do you prefer old Mono Black Phyrexia, or the new Skittles Phyrexia?

The story before time spiral was ok, the story went to shit after that

It tracks pretty well to the invention of the nu-walkers. Alara is where it really goes downhill. Although, honestly, outside of Kamigawa, I would not say MTG was ever well written.

Would the anime follow the in-game lore, or would it be Yu-gi-oh style with a bunch of Japanese kids actually playing the game, maybe with some real magic included?

We need W in there to show that the protag is an honorable guy. We could probably make a waifu version of Mayael. Give her a Dark Magician Girl type makeover.
I think it'd be pretty cool if the antagonist I mentioned earlier could be the protag. Do to Jeleva what I thought we could do with Mayael. That way we could have a valid reason to have a new Deus-ex-Machina card every episode. Also, I just like grixis colors in general.
Alternatively we could just make up a commander for the show that has similar abilities to pull "showcase" cards out of thin air.
I started in 2013 so I'm not super familiar with the difference. I think skittles version? The idea of your closes friends being torn apart and reassembled into HR Giger nightmares oozing black oil is terrifying. And we could get a lot of mileage out of that kind of enemy in a story.

Spoken like somebody who wasn't playing/reading during Weatherlight.

But we already have DEFINITELY NOT MTG the manga

had

RIP
literally too good of a parody for hasbro to let live

Weatherlight Saga, I mean. More than just the set.

>not wanting an anime of the brother's war

The lore could work as long as we focused on likeable or interesting walkers like Urza, Sarkhan or Ajani instead of the friendship league.

I like Gideon okay enough, but I can't stand the rest of the Gatewatch, especially Nissa.

It's really not that good. The only MTG Lore that's actually close to good is Kamigawa and The Thran.

Any lore you adapt is inherently under the purview of Doug Beyer, the least talented Head of Creative North America has ever produced.

An OVA series about the Kami war would be the single best thing we could hope for.

We wouldn't get something like The Brothers War. We'd get something in line with what wizards is putting out now. So it'd be a Gatewatch anime. Aso, this show would probably be treated like the a commercial for toys. I don't want to waste that story on something like Duel Masters.
Remember Duel Masters? Another card game made by the same company that got an anime?

I'd dig an episodic show, like in Watanabe's style, that took place during the Kami war. The short stories that used to be online from that period are probably the peak of MTG lore

Odyssey block, though.
But the only book I can think of that'd make a half decent anime is Test of Metal.

Who would adapt it? Mappa did an amazing job on Bahamut until they handed the writing reigns to a complete retard in season 2.

But I was there, not sure what are you talking about

Scars or Theros block would be cool.
Both end badly for everyone involved

They're also just kind of shit stories. Especially Theros.

EDH anime would be great

I want to have a scene exploring the concept of The Mimeoplasm being its own lieutenant.

I'm talking about the exact same problems everybody has with the Gatewatch that are somehow retroactively acceptable nowadays because of this forced narrative that current MTG writing being abominable makes old MTG writing literary masterwork.

You gotta save Lieutenants for later seasons. The early games should all be nice, simple, bullshit that ends with a stupid combo out of nowhere.

>ywn have a qt patootie prison-playing gentle femdom gf
Why live

Also one of the Planeswalkers used as player characterizations to summon the entire Jacestice league and turn them into equipment artifacts, and equip them to his animated library.

Creative is already cutting back on the Gatewatch because of the backlash. We're still getting 1 or 2 of them per plane though.

Elite Arcanist + Dissallow + Paradox engine for season 1 finale
All the other playerwalkers planeswalk away immediately

I didn't say anything about masterpieces, I said it was ok, I just dont like the whole nu-planeswalker shit
And I stopped playing during time spiral, only went to the shard of alara pre release and that was my last official event

Ixalan was fine, /fit/ Jace, Minotaur dad, and Monstergirls makes for a good story.

>I said it was ok
He's right, though, even that's a pretty recent opinion change. People fucking hated the crew of the Weatherlight by the end

Boros-tan is objectively the best.

As the show progresses the strategies get way more convoluted. They parody this later by having a character fall asleep as another character explains their 14 piece combo.

The official canon is trash, but the early stuff was so bonkers that it would actually be pretty interesting. Modern shit is just shit though.

I would like to see some spin off stories of each planeswalker if they were well crafted.

Did Hasbro really kill it? If so, I'm shocked that they didn't try to strike up a deal to increase MTG's popularity in Japan. Not like they were going to do anything with manga rights anyway.

I know Rakdos-tan is both the best and worst decision of my life. So that one

Couldn't tell you for sure, since all I've got is internet gossip about japanese legal proceedings, but from what I understand its card game was too similar to MTG and they started getting pressured to put an end to it. Publishers don't want to deal with that shit

Ixalan would have been good if the vamps won like most people wanted. They were so far ahead in the geocaching event and WotC fucked them. It's obvious dinos were written to win from the start.

Orzhov not nearly shitlordy enough.

Yeah, they only got the church half, where's the mafia?

They need to look greedier. They literally keep you in debt long into the afterlife.

How complex is MTG? Would it be possible to do a Yu Gi Oh style show about it? Like yeah, YGO handwaved a lot of the minor details, but it did a great job at getting people interested and giving them a decent high level understanding of the rules and cards.

Modern Yugioh is harder to follow than MTG, and its shows are rules-accurate. It would not be hard.

KEK

At some point two idiots have a 20 card stack pissing match, only for the group hug player to summary dismissal it all.

Why would I give a fuck about what people thought?, I can even count with 1 hand the times I have discussed magic lore with someone
People really didn't care about it where I live

As long as you know the flow of the game and read what your cards do, you'll be fine. Honestly, you could win a game if I just gave you a flowchart to hold your hand.

I suppose there's no reason you should care. But the Weatherlight was just as bad as the Gatewatch.

It depends on the format. Any game with Chaos EDH deck is going to turn it into another animal.

The most basic rules are easy enough to learn after 1 or 2 games. More complex shit like layers would likely not come up as to confuse viewers.

Fuck yeah Gruul. Red is the thinking man's colour.

So much think

Red is so good that WotC tries to make it intentionally shit and it's still good.

Why do card game shows feel so cheap? It's hard to say exactly what's wrong about them, but besides Yu Gi Oh they all look like they were designed to move merchandise and nothing more. For example, Beyblade, Medabots, Duel Masters, Bakugan, etc. all have that feeling. Interestingly enough, I don't get it with Yu Gi Oh and Digimon.

Yu-Gi-Oh started out as a manga 1st, then the card game happened. Same with Digimon.

>like they were designed to move merchandise and nothing more
That is 1000% the case

And by same with Digimon, I mean it had an anime 1st, not a manga.

>"Lotus Bloom comes off suspend, storm count: 1. Now I'll play Lotus Petal. Storm count: 2. Now I play Mizzix's Mastery, and copy it with Primal Wellspring, Insidious Will, Wild Ricochet, and Dual Caster Mage"
>"I'm already confused. I forfeit."
The storm player doesn't even have a win condition. They just bank on their opponent giving up 30 minutes in.

^ Lightning bolt is one helluva drug

>Everyone runs away from the mill player out of fear and disgust
>Elves are racist
>Merfolk are "sea elves"
>People of Innistrad think their plane is totally normal because everything is evil but the angels.

>isekai where a fat otaku and his card collection gets sent into the game world
>his cards actually have magic powers
might as well since isekai is all the rage these days

Thats not even Isekai. Thats the lore. The cards are suedo gods yanking things from otehr planes of existence to fight other suedo gods.

If you just took a human from our world they would be completely useless.
Humans in magic can fucking time travel.

Well Yu Gi Oh is different in concept. In Yu Gi Oh you are a duel master that plays with special cards that have monsters sealed within them.

In MTG you are a planeswalker that can use actual magic, but since real magic doesn't exist the card game is used as a way to show what is happening. The card game was just the medium chosen for players to interact.

If a show was made it would either be about MTG players (in which game mechanics would be something to consider) or about the lore of the game (in which game mechanics have no place).

Yu Gi Oh was actually just a games manga (a variety of games) but the card game section got popular and just stuck with that.

Everything else you said was definitely made just to sell toys.

Yeah, but not in a card game. The card game is just how we represent that.

It would fucking suck because Wizards just likes sucking Jace's cock instead of doing something interesting for once. Magic lore in general hasn't been good for at least a decade, probably more.

Also since it's one of the "superstar brands" that Wizards is in charge of, Hasbro won't do anything that might risk its status. As long as MtG keeps raking in loads and loads of money, don't expect this to change.

t. /tg/

ps I still bought this duel deck when it was released because of the special art.

Replace all the planeswalkers with bears

>the season finale is against some guy with Four Horsemen

BorosxRakdos angsty hate sex when?

>The judges are banished to the shadow realm

DEEN

I like Simic and Izzet, but Simic would probably turn me into a freaky Chimera and Izzet would probably blow me up at some point.

>MtG anime
>it's about nothing but bear puns

>a 1/1 bear

What the fuck is this shit Wizards!?

Individual bears are 1/1. Go look at the Grizzly Bears art and keep in mind that the name of the card is plural.

It's simple. The story should follow a walker not featured in the current stories. This allows for more open-ended and unrestricted narratives. Also cameos actually are a big deal then.

The problem is what plane that walker would be from.

LORWYN

>a bear trades with a squirrel

Seems to check out.

Faerie walker? Kithkin? Another shitty elf?

ELEMENTAL?

I like Skittles, because I think having White antagonists is an interesting idea and not done often enough.

Elemental or Faerie would be the most legit. Wouldn't mind Kithkin or Dwarves though.

Squirrels are overpowered in magic, because Maro's gay for them. We all know it shouldn't take two little girls to kill a squirrel

Except in MTG where it's done all the fucking time