Does the remaining Ghibli staff still have it; did you enjoy the film?

Does the remaining Ghibli staff still have it; did you enjoy the film?

Had to endure the dub due to a theater fuck up but still liked it overall. Mary a cute.

it's alright
better than ponyo

It's okay, the animation can be pretty good. The intro is actually good. Was disappointed the rest of the film didnt live up to what that scene was promising

I just hope they make a good amount of money on this and try again

No way this was better than Ponyo

>remaining Ghibli staff
This is not a Ghibli film. Miyazaki is working on another movie at Ghibli. This was the debut of Studio Ponoc, which was founded by former Ghibli staff.

>Does the remaining Ghibli staff still have it;
Yes, but not for this film. I mean, the studio's greatest works were released only 4 years ago.

they're all the same movie, so it'd be hard to not like it if you liked their previous films
>independent girl does thing, wow such empower

>I haven't seen Hotaru no Haka, Porco Rosso, Pompoko, Tonari no Yamada-kun, Mononoke-hime, Kaze Tachinu, Gedo Senki

Porco Rosso especially has girl power.

Ironic; I got the sub due to a theater fuck up. It worked out well though since after I saw the dub trailer I realized the accents were horrible, so the sub was the superior product.

This was better than Ponyo. It might not have looked better than Ponyo, but it didn't have an obnoxious little shit or literal 5 year olds expressing romantic feelings for creature of not-even-remotely-compatible species, or mothers who make Cruella DeVil look like a driving instructor while their infant son is in the car.

I personally didn't like the dub myself. I know enough 日本語 to understand most common conversations.

I don't mind the whole "british accents" thing that a lot of Ghibli films get, but Mary though being the main role lacked so much emotion it was off-putting. Especially the crying scene where she found Peter.

How was her sub counterpart?

Definitely better at the crying. I don't recall her coming across flat with any of her dialogue.

>theater fuck up
Same happened to me, Ca bro
It looked good but the story was typical and the reveal didnt really matter much. It was fun, solid 7.

Are you triggered by strong women?

Intro got me so hyped up. Then the rest was bland as hell. Why did they have 90% of the movie being slow buildup? Why did a girl with a MASTER SPELL BOOK use only ONE SPELL FROM IT. AND TWICE Too much wasted potential.

When is the BD release?

Fuck, I didn't even know there was a knockoff ghibli. The movie looks amazing! Any torrents?

It was fun, but the whole way through, I just wished I was watching an actual Ghibli movie.

To be fair, that's how I feel about every Ghibli film not directed by Takahata or Miyazaki.

So is there a torrent/stream of this? Should be out but I can't find anything that works.

>Why did a girl with a MASTER SPELL BOOK
That's probably more a source material issue rather than a studio one. There's only so much you can deviate when using someone else's work.

So is Ghibli ever actually gonna try anything new or is it just an endless cycle of little girls with magic powers like everything else nowadays?

Ghibli peaked early-mid 2000s.

It was worth watching for the visuals alone, but the plot felt like kind of a mess, Mary wasn’t a very compelling character, she and Peter never really had any chemistry, even just as friends, and the Flannigan character just felt weirdly out of place, just popping in when the plot demanded it, him showing up at scarce remains of the school going ‘hey Mary here’s your broom I won’t question at all what just happened!’ was just fucking weird

As it is, there really should have been more time put toward developing the characters, especially in regards to Mary’s motivation.

Their best films were all made in the 80s and 90s. Spirited Away is the last noteworthy Ghibli film, and that released in 2001. Everything after that point is derivative, and largely uninteresting (although the two films from 2013 were still very nice).

The intro was strong but devolved into a referential rush of a story. It was technically impressive, but it definitely felt like it was hanging onto Ghibli as its selling point. I still enjoyed it though, but would recommend Spirited Away over it. People seem to compare it to Ponyo, but I haven't seen that film yet so I can't compare them. Also Peter was flat as fuck, but goddamn Tib is a smug cat.

haha, no. it's downhill ever since the 80s ended.

Tried to make a movie with parts of Ponyo, Kiki, Mononoke. Visually, I enjoyed it but was too much going on.