Saves humanity on a regular basis

>saves humanity on a regular basis
>all while working diligently and school and practicing the cello and never complaining about either
>is shoved off to live with a thirty-something slob with daddy issues because his dad would rather dote over a teenage clone of his dead mother than raise his own son
>literally all it would have taken to make him not be so miserable and not want to end the world is for someone to give him a hug
>instead, an angel who he knew for a few days treated him better than any person in his life ever did
Let's be honest, humanity deserved to die.

I always was slightly disturbed by how little saving the world actually mattered to most of the characters in Eva. Like, I know that's not the main theme, but they rarely even handwave it away.

>if I pilot the robot, that girl in my class will respect me more!

It's like you could replace Angels with business spreadsheets in a software company and the plot would not change much.

Really, as essential as the teenagers were to the functioning of the evas, you'd think that that a basic level of psychiatric attention and care would have been a minimum part of their piloting them. Instead, they were perfectly happy to ship Shinji off to live in some apartment without anyone monitoring him at all at first.

I guess 2nd impact fucked up peoples behavior

That seems like a cop-out, since most people in the story seemed to be largely functional aside from some very traumatic childhood experiences that would have been traumatic whether or not they occurred in a post-second impact world.

I guess only the fucktards survived.

That's because Gendo and the rest of top NERV exec see the pilots as expendable at best, or are intentionally trying to have them as fucked up as possible at worst, because berserk eva.
Since a berserk eva is basically invincible, unkillable and has a seemingly unlimited amount of energy to spend exclusively on beating the shit out of angels, it's paradoxiacally a safer bet to try and get the pilot go apeshit as soon as possible than to train him properly.
That's exactly how they expect to win against the first angel, and that's why they don't bother explaining shit to Shinji when he comes in because the more surprised and unbalanced he is, the more the eva is likely to go berserk.
Pretty clever way of justifying the use of the "military organisation doesn't provides drill instructors to their young untrained pilots" trope.

thanks for the reminder that non-japanese should never watch evangelion

I don't think anyone anticipated berserk mode, though if they did, then they should have regarded the pilots as a lot less expendable than you're saying the did, since berserk mode only kicks in when the spirit of the mothers inhabiting the evas want to protect their children from harm or death.

Gendo clearly did, he was never more smug than during episode 1 and the ep 2 fight flashback. He totally knew he had to fuck up his kid so his dead demigod wife would protect him. Flawless plan.
Also of course they need the spirits of their mothers to even function, but they seemingly have quite a large supply of these, as all of Shinji's classmates are potential candidates and orphans.
So we can assume that NERV has a library of their mother's souls lying around somewhere.

>is shoved off to live with a thirty-something slob
which gave us all the doujins.

But want the world really needs is KajixMisato vanilla doujins.

Shinji just sat still and expected people to treat him well, he should have bragged all the time and claimed he was a badass for piloting the Eva

Yes, but the mothers seem to be an inseparable part of the evas themselves, so in order to get a new pilot they have to build a new eva with a new mother's spirit. If they could just be swapped out on a dime, Gendo wouldn't have had to deal with eva 01 rejecting him after he fucked up Shinji by making him cripple his friend.

> tfw still no doujin of Kaji and Misato week long sex marathon

Sure, because Asuka was so happy at the end.

Asuka is a woman

Shinji didn't have a single male role model in his life who gave a shit about him except for Kaji, kind of, and Kaji was murdered.

That's true for Shinji (and especially at the moment where gendo and rei are rejected since unit 01 is the only one usable at this time), but not for Rei or Asuka.
For Rei, they can just manufacture another one so whatever if she dies.
And nobody gives a fuck about Asuka falling off in the later episodes. Ritsuko is basically saying "meh, whatever, fuck spending time talking about her issues, we'll just get a new pilot".
So my original point of NERV seeing the pilots as expandable at best and psychological torture projects for maximum combat efficiency at worst is quite valid no ?

This is the actual correct answer, secondu impacto fucked up everyone individually and humanity as a collective.

Superficially functional but all deeply insane in their own ways. Misato a depressed alcholic (her filthy apartment and diet of pure shit, her hebephiliac tendency, etc). Gendo willing to destroy the entire human race to get Yui back. Ritsuko sexually obsessed with an emotionless, unresponsive man who she knows full well does't give a shit about anything, including her, about his dead wife.

NGE is a postapocalyptic society of survivors who probably place a really low value on mental health. Like if some teenage boy is sullen and withdrawn because he didn't get enough affection from his parents, their reaction is probably something along the lines of "I lived through 25% of the world's poulation dying, so fuck this kids daddy issues, GET IN THE ROBOT"

Also he knew Kaji for like a month tops.

>NGE is a postapocalyptic society of survivors who probably place a really low value on mental health. Like if some teenage boy is sullen and withdrawn because he didn't get enough affection from his parents, their reaction is probably something along the lines of "I lived through 25% of the world's poulation dying, so fuck this kids daddy issues, GET IN THE ROBOT"
Yeah, except you're literally depending on that kid to save your life whenever he needs to get in that robot, because if he doesn't, everyone is dead. No matter what happened to you when you were a kid, he's risking his life to protect you and everyone you care about whenever he goes up against an angel. You may have had a worse childhood than him, but how often did all the adults send you into combat while they hid underground?

>but how often did all the adults send you into combat while they hid underground?
99% of human history

where do you think the "infant" in infantry comes from? the fresh young troops, who would barely qualify as adults today (16-20 age range) would go into battle first and do the hardest fighting, then the triarii would storm in to seal the deal after most of the 1st line infantry were dead.

>you will never be a veles engaging chariots

> ywn spend 20 years of your life risking it and then spending the rest of your days peacefully farming a small piece of land with your hot blond gallic wife

>you will never be called corinth helmet tipper because you call yourself peltast because you had 1.4% hellenic in your XXIIIandme results

>or are intentionally trying to have them as fucked up as possible at worst, because berserk eva

Doesn't seem very intentional. Their environments are completely uncontrolled.

OK, but the adults in this series were never serving in an ancient Roman army. They just grew up in the wreckage of the second impact and built cities like Tokyo-3. They've never had to take on the burden they're placing on Shinji or Asuka or Rei.

They haven't earned the right to treat the matter so casually.

Children from the 80's and 90's, and even a bit of the 70's, were treated like this by their parents and the people around them. There was almost two entire generations of latch-key kids who were foisted off in front of television sets, after-school programs, and to schools while their parents and families cared more about careerism and hedonism to raise them while they struggled economically from recessions (including a global recession during the 80's). Japan had a weak economy during the 90's, as well, as suffered from the Dot Com bubble significantly.

Oh, and this was really just the end result of nearly a century of industrialization piecemeal stripping away communal and familial interaction and welfare, something that the world simply could not find and answer to in terms of social psychology. It literally took until the invention of major distractions like global media to keep people emotionally engaged.

Second Impact probably isn't a metaphor or allegory for any of this, and I'm not trying to argue that it is (it's literally the result of some secret cult trying to create god or whatever.) But saying that it took a near-extinction event to drastically affect social psychology and trend it into a dangerous negative area and to "fuck up" people's behavior is either short-sighted and uninformed, or disingenuous. The characters in that story are believably fucked up in terms of real-world humanity completely external to the goofy sci-fi pseudo-science shenanigans they find themselves in, which is what makes NGE and EoE so compelling; unlike many of it's predecessors, it has a strong sensation of realism in terms of character.

Why not though? There angels as big as cities helbent on distructing humanity. Everyone still remembers the devastation after second impact. Why should they care about children's feeling, if the alternative to them not piloting is annihalation?

You must be an emotional teenager yourself, if you don't see the reason behind the actions of the adults in Evangelion.

The 90's are generally referred to as a Lost Generation in Japan, and you also have the whole "millennials suck!" thing to sort of prove this, and we didn't have a sudden near-extinction event. Hell, the 90's are considered by many to be a golden era of economic and social development, and yet it led into massive cognitive dissonance and global depression.

>Why should they care about children's feeling, if the alternative to them not piloting is annihalation?
That's exactly why they should care. Because if you expect these kids to go out and make incredible sacrifices for your sake, you sure as fuck better make sure they feel validated and rewarded for doing it.

What the fuck did any of the kids get for piloting the evas? The military is an entire institution which in ancient Roman times actually granted you rights above and beyond the average citizen, what rights did the kids get? They got no attention, no reward, no love, no anything. Why the fuck shouldn't they turn on the people around them like Shinji did in EoE?

it was over 50% i think

Well what did you expect them to get?
- Rei wanted nothing.
- Asuka wanted praise and attention from peers and others, which she got.
- Toji got his sister placed into a better hospital in return for piloting.
- Shinji also wanted praise and attention and got some of it.

The problem with having children pilot the Evas is that they are emotionally unstable, and they don't even know what they actually want. That a major issue in the show itself.

>what to the pilots get out of the deal
they got to LIVE, they were allowed the chance to take not just their own survival but that of the rest of the human race into their own hands and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. the alternative (treating shinji and co with kid gloves) results in not only the pilots but all children everywhere being killed in 3rd impact.

look man, I'm not saying that what happened to the kids piloting the EVAs wasn't fucked up and sad because it certainly was, but the amount of fucked up it is really isn't that much worse than children were historically treated.

the Romans were just an example. if anything the most tame of examples, as at least the infantrymen got to die for the senate and people of Rome, as lately as 100 years ago children were dying in droves in coal mines and textile mills so the bosses could keep a few extra pennies, what did THOSE kids get out of the deal?

>hey go pilot this mech that only you specifically can pilot, if you don't you, everything you love, and everything else is going do be destroyed and the world turned into even worse an apocalyptic hellscape than it already is

fair trade desu~

>The problem with having children pilot the Evas is that they are emotionally unstable, and they don't even know what they actually want.
That's why you'd psychologically monitor them, so you could understand what they wanted even if they were bad at articulating it. And Shinji didn't so much want praise as he just wanted to be loved. His interaction with Kaworu is all about him finally getting what he's been missing in his life and then snuffing it out just as quickly.

How much money do you reckon Shinji and friends would have gotten paid?

dude...

"for, faris, fatus sum, fari" means "to talk" in latin

"fantem" means "talking"

"infant" is "fantem" + the denial "in" so it means "no talking".. it was used for the babies that couldn't talk until the first years of their life

but "infant" in Middle Ages was used for the servants too (you know he couldn't talk near their masters)

so in war "infant" was the servant that walked near the Lord on horseback

those "infant" started to fight the wars too so was born the term "infantery"

so you don't say infantery because there were childs in it.. and triarii has nothing to do with them because while the word cames from Latin it wasn't used during Roman Empire

Not really. If other people get the exact same treatment as you without having to take on anywhere near the sacrifice you do to ensure their safety, that'd breed resentment fucking fast.

You give people who you're asking to shoulder disproportionate burdens proper validation, or at least what they think is proper validation, if you want them to keep doing it.

Agreed. That's why Gendou is the real hero in Evangelion. He's the one that has seen humanity's true colors and is making sure that the best possible outcomes happens.

Instrumentatily is not the end of humanity, it is its salvation.

So is Shinji

That's the best part of child labor though. You can make them do whatever you want for no reward or benefits and they'll still do it.

adults don0t do this? fascinating

I'll give you the false etymology for "infantry" but triarii was certainly a term in common use prior to the marian reforms. the most experienced, best equipped heavy infantry that went in if the hastati and principes failed.

feels vs reals the post

if they didn't treat the children the way they did, the children would be dead along with everyone else. which is the greater of two evils, forcing the pilots into uncomfortable situations, or allowing the extinction of the human race?

I'll be honest, I'd rather die than be saved by a whinging little bitch like Shinji.

There’s a difference between being a dick just because you can or not being a dick and still save the world.

BTFO

Dude, I'm not saying the pilots didn't need to do what they were doing when it came to fighting the angels. I'm saying that they clearly could have been treated better when they weren't fighting the angels.

Like, seriously, not a single fucking person in NERV realized that they'd all have been better off if Shinji had someone around giving him enough attention to make him not miserable all the time?

Yeah and the servant was around the age of 14 to 16
Knecht, Knabe

Empathy isn’t valued anywhere near enough in both Eva and the real world. It’s almost got a stigma to it.

Where can I watch this? It's not on CrynchyRoll. HUlu or Netflix. And I"M NOT paying $250 for the fucking dvds

therein lies the rub: in this scenario, you CAN'T save the world without being a dick. was firebombing dresden a dick move? nuking hiroshima? sure they might have caused suffering, but the net amount of suffering is less than if those events had not occurred.

like I said man, I'm not saying the pilots were treated as best as they could have been, but they certainly had it far better than A) children throughout most of history, and B) the alternative of not forcing them to pilot EVAs.

>everything is NERVs fault

when I was 14 I understood the concept of self-sacrifice and the greater good, sure I have a better understanding as an adult but the fundamentals remain the same. shinji is just as complicit in his own suffering as NERV

It's a post-apocalyptic east asian society. Fuck if there would be a similar child soldier situation in china right now they'd probably be treated with even less empathy and caring. This whole children are precious flowers thing is mostly western and even relatively new so it's not too weird that someone who was a kid in 70s/80s japan would write adult/child interactions like that.

>shinji is just as complicit in his own suffering as NERV
Shinji's a 14 year old boy. You know, that age where it's considered so traumatic that if you're a grown a adult and you fuck a girl that age, you go to prison and everyone hates you? That's how old he is. And he's being pretty much ignored by the people who he's saving on a regular basis.

A kid can't be healthier than the society that's raising him.

>It's not on CrynchyRoll. HUlu or Netflix.
Lurk Moar Newfag

You will figure it out eventually.

>when I was 14 I understood the concept of self-sacrifice and the greater good
You also had guardians that cared about you and a nice safe life.
He did not.
It's actually getting worse for him as a matter of fact.

and the alternative is the death of the human race (which includes shinji)

you're making the argument that if a child is starving and all there is to feed him is canned beans, you shouldn't give him canned beans because he wants McDonalds.

I'm NOT NEWFAG

Japan is just now starting to pay attention to mental health. In the 90s it was never talked about.

In the anime rather than do something about the mental state of the pilots they instead pushed harder for dummy plugs

I'm sorry, why would someone who's never once seen the good in the human race, is lonely, fucked in the head, and treated like shit 24/7 by the people who he saves and are supposed to look out for him CARE if the human race dies.

Did you think about that?
Why should he fight for the human race?
Why should he fight that hard to live if life is a hell and he has no idea of what a decent life even looks like?

The most unrealistic thing about this whole fucking thing isn't that shinji is a pussy, it's that EVA isn't the birth of a lovecraftian super villian.

>doesn't know about torrent sites
>doesn't know about free streaming sites

yeah you are, not just to anime but to the whole internet it soundslike

>alternative
I'm sorry, where the fuck was it laid out that if Shinji had someone who loved him he wouldn't be able to do his job?

>Has not seen EVA
>Does not know about the sekrit websites
>Probably does not know how to get past the panda

N E W
F
A
G

>it's that EVA isn't the birth of a lovecraftian super villian
It almost was. Shinji was the god and centre of instrumentality with everyone being tanged together. He just rejected it to face reality again.

It probably would have been if Asuka didn't caress his face stopping him from killing her.
After that he would probably have gone on to finish exterminating every single human who escaped instrumentality.
Asuka proved best girl once again.

Yes
Exactly
WHY WASNT THIS THE BIRTH OF A LOVECRAFTIAN SUPERVILLAIN!
There's only so many times we the audience can take for granted that the hero no matter how shit they are treated will always do the right thing or at least a thing that won't completely fuck everything up.
Why didn't Anno have the fucking balls to go that far?
Shinji becoming an evil angel like entity is a hell of a lot more shocking then choking a bitch or jacking off in a fucking hospital room.

>a decent life
he seems to have had a relatively normal life until he was called up to pilot EVAs, going to school living with relatives etc.

shinji is a moody 14 year old boy, I know this because I was once a moody 14 year old boy and recognize the symptoms. he would have been a moody teenage boy whether he was piloting EVAs or just living a normal life. sure he has an extra layer of struggles to relate to because of NERV and the EVAs but tough shit, plenty of young people struggle in ways their peers can't relate to.

Shinji is a bitch, as he should be. EVERYONE is a bitch at that age unless they were born a rich Chad and never had to surmount life obstacles.

>why should he fight for the human race?
because the alternative is his own death along with the death of the few people he holds close (toji and kensuke, kaji, rei and asuka, possibly misato, etc)

>Asuka didn't caress his face stopping him from killing her.
1.Asuka is fucking dead dude. She canon died before she was tanged
2.He rejected instrumentality long before he conjored up that Asuka doll to choke the shit out of.

Because Eva in general has a positive message despite how shit his life is. It’s not that type of story thematically, though it would have been cool.

because NERV has more important things to worry about than a whiney teenage boy, they treated him as best they could. they gave him a guardian, a place to stay, food, a stipend, a cell phone, a peer group who could actually understand his troubles (rei and asuka), I don't see much more they could have done besides out-and-out coddle him for being a super-special boy.

they treated him like a fucking adult is what happened, sure it ain't an ideal scenario for a 14 year old boy, but tough shit man, the end is literally nigh and we have all have to do our part to stop it.

>he seems to have had a relatively normal life until he was called up to pilot EVAs, going to school living with relatives etc.

He was actually suffering from PTSD and was treated beyond poorly by his relatives.
Shinji is a bitch because he's a punching bag or manipulated emotionally by everyone in the cast and the closest he came to having decent friends was touji who was killed in a freak accident(was that retconned)and that bespectacled kid who was either killed in a test or in an angel attack.

Dude's life was hell and no one gave enough of a fuck to try to fix him or the crazy red headed cunt's shit.
They were going to dump their asses out and get a dummyplug.

I stand by my post. Dude is all of a bad day away from hanging himself and there's no one in the cast who would give enough of a fuck to worry about him rather then worry about who would pilot unit 01.

kissanime

>positive message
>Eva

the show where all of the characters wallow in thier issues and emotional problems to the point the whole world dies for it.

Saying congratulations at the end or having a shroom induced mental breakdown =/= positive message.
It means that for all of the shit anno talked he was a pussy.
He pussied out when he could have created a milestone fuck yeah moment. One that would make everyone in the audience re-evaluate themselves in a real way rather then be told that their true happy end was to be content with living hellish empty lives and soldiering on through emotional death.

The point was not to be content with it, but rather that maybe making small changes inside and out can lead to a day where you love yourself, and perhaps your life. It’s more of an internal struggle and slow realisation. It’s bleak but it’s still on the positive side rather than the negative.

>The point was not to be content with it, but rather that maybe making small changes inside and out can lead to a day where you love yourself, and perhaps your life. It’s more of an internal struggle and slow realisation. It’s bleak but it’s still on the positive side rather than the negative.

It litterally does not say that at any point in the entire fuck up.
They are all, every single one of them, devoured by their own inadequacies and failures as human beings.
The closest they ever come to doing anything about them is addressing them moments before they are killed or destroyed by them.
The series is about about feeling bad for your fucked up life then just accepting how fucked up your life is and letting destroy you utterly.
But that's okay. You accepted it and that is the greatest end and life you can hope for.

Eva 02 going berserk is just the maternal instinct of the shinji's mother kicking in. When shinji is at a serious risk of injury, Eva 02 wakes up.

The only other time Eva goes berserk is when she spots the S2 engine and figures out that she could fulfill her mission of being humanity's record in the universe if she had the S2.

>Like, I know that's not the main theme, but they rarely even handwave it away.

This is perhaps the single most absurd thing about Eva. It doens't even make much sense why people who care so little about saving the planet have that as their job.

Otherwise we have headcannon like , where the massive pile of weird shit is explained by people reading into everything and making tons of assumptions about that characters' motivations that aren't otherwise supported by anything.

I know. I've been saying this for years.
How can so many fundamentally fucked up human beings work together and get any of that shit working or maintain it?
I don't even see how they were able to get that fucking shit off of the ground in the first place.
IRL people that fucked up wouldn't be able to get an office party together without someone getting pushed off of a balcony.
That's the biggest fucking unbelievable thing about this.
There were NO normal people who would be seen as the person who keeps that nonsense together. Not one.
There weren't even any evil assholes who were cold and logical enough to overpower and force them to do what is plainly needed.

Because they had experience and they had hidden emotional problems, combined with the fact that 90s Japan didn’t give a shit about mental health so they sure as fuck wouldn’t after half the population of the world dies. Adding on to that, the people raised in Japan after American occupation wouldn’t care about their families as much due to having familial values somewhat overwritten after the death of their anachronistic highly conservative way of thinking. So the country would care for the families a little less having to work in the factories away from them. Then those children would care a little less because they were raised poorly. And so on.
They pretend to be healthy. And that’s generally enough in their world.

nyaa.si is a wonderful place

Because it's a shit ending ?

.si is complete cancer.
Go for .pantsu.cat

Shinji did fuck everything up though. He literally ended all life on Earth.

No he was just a autistic faggot who wanted to reunite with his waifu.

But he realized that what he did was a mistake and tried to fix it, Asuka returning from Instrumentality is proof of this.

I never got why he went from immediately restoring life to trying to choke Asuka out though. What was that about?

If you think about it Madoka is basically a non cowardly cool version of Shinji.

Trying to reaffirm his place in reality or something I don’t know, I think there was a trading card that had a explanation for it.

>Comparing a normal average girl to a already mentally scarred teenage boy.

Why do people compare these characters? They are completely different in every single way.

They’re basically the same characters in the same series.

>was firebombing dresden a dick move?
Yea, destroying non combatans homes and burning them inside plus bombing your own allies in the Normandy is kinda dicky

Both parents are different

There were no strategic or military assets in Dresden. It did not end the war one second sooner. It was probably an excuse to use up ammunition that would soon only cost resources to house and not allow war profiteers to charge my government for the weapons of the next season. If anything is going to "save the world", it is turning away from such exploitive and war-justified cynicism.

Both choose to not let their parents in.

What? Shinji's dad won't even fucking speak to him. His eyes practically light up the ONE time his dad praises him. He never 'chooses' to not let him into anything.

Getting past the panda is laughably easy now, they have a Firefox plugin right below the actual website when you google it.