Am I the only one who just wanted to give Shinji a hug and tell him everything was going to be OK?

Am I the only one who just wanted to give Shinji a hug and tell him everything was going to be OK?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=emXugGUMwSM
youtube.com/watch?v=r26VFYHj1dY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Considering the number of times during the rest of the series that he actually got hugged, I'd say "yeah".

Yes.
Shinji might've been justified in his behaviour considering the situation and he thrown in, but that still doesn't change his irritating and whiny personality.

I want to hug him, tell him I care about him, grow close to him, then tell him I hate him and that I was only using him. Imagine how much that little bitch would cry, ha ha.

Daddy's already got that covered.

Gendo was never close to Shinji.

He still fucked him more by abandoning Shinji as a little kid than you ever could.

No, I'd become Shinji's new daddy. A daddy wbo loves him sexually, and who makes his life worth living. Then when he's completely comfortable, I tell him my true intentions. Gendo ain't got nothing on that.

user, Shinji is not for lewds, OK?

youtube.com/watch?v=emXugGUMwSM

The dude needed a kamina.
It's obvious that female companionship isnt enough for shinji because of his daddy issues. What shinji needs a Bro. Misato was close but she could only do so much.

Shinji is for dressing up and violating.
youtube.com/watch?v=r26VFYHj1dY

Reasonbly yeah Shinji needed all the love he could get, a father figure and someone to make him feel loved and cherished and I know just the character who could do it all in one fell swoop
Pic related

Kaji almost seemed like he was going to take that spot, and then he got murdered. Oh, and there was his macho best friend, who his father forced his eva to cripple for life.

On this note, Kamina only works for betas who habe potential not to give up. You can't throw a kamina on to a shonen character or one that already fights for justice. Kamina's character relies on the existence of the beta MC.

Kaji could if he wasn't a triple agent. Plus Kaji didn't treat shinji like a partner but like a kid, so it wouldn't work. Kamina treats his counter parts as a partner and a better half of himself.

Considering that everyone in the series ended up being turned into primordial soup because they neglected Shinji and made him feel miserable, it kinda seems like they fucked up hard.

But they didn't, shit misato tried countless times. The thing was he couldn't get what he wanted and he was a coward in his own right for not helping them when they needed it. Shinji was effectively causing his own downfall because he was comfortable in his miserable state.

Shinji dont need nurturing, he needs a real male figure in his life.
Not a gay alien, not a terrible dad, not a mildly autist freegoing person like Kaji

Dis nigga be right

>he was a coward in his own right for not helping them when they needed it
Literally every time the kid got in a mech and fought an angel he was saving them from total annihilation.

Shinji is definitely responsible for his own fate, but misato "attemps" to improve him were mediocre at best.
She is a bad mother figure because she herself is a womanchild who never grown up.

I'm not denying that, but when it came to emotional support he would run into his room shut off his ears and hide.

Shinji wasnt a physical cowards. Memes aside, he never had trouble piloting the Eva past episode 1. Hell, he is the bravest inside it, probably because he feels same inside mommy womb.

Shinji is a psychological coward. See asukas dialogue in EoE. He willingly became stranded from Rei and Misato when he found out inconvenient truths about them. He had no guts to even step up and say "if you need me, im here to help"

How were they mediocre? Every time shit went down he close himself off, and when misato was there telling him you did good, and listened to him. She did more than what normal real people would do for each other. Hell she took him in to her home. She did more than enough to help him.

Given everything that shinji went through during the show can you blame him?

Fuck off kaworu
Go back to figure skating and enjoy an erotic katsu-don or whatever

You are the angel governing freewill but that doesn't mean you actually have freewill of your own, if im wrong then where's your fruit of wisdom faggot?

If I see you anywhere near a kitten I'll tell Rei that you were being cruel to shinji-kin and all the sons of Adam will be exterminated

Yeah, because he was abandoned as a small child by his father who was openly doting over a teenage girl and ignoring him right now while he was doing the single best job of anyone in NERV when it came to defeating the angels. And because all he had for emotional support now was an autistic clone of his mom who expressed no emotions and girl who treated him like shit and a 30-something slob with daddy issues of her own who was the closest thing to kind person in his life but who still never once said that she loved him or anything.

A fucking angel was able to get Shinji to open up just by being nice enough to him, she could have done it too.

I can since he was like that before the show started. Let me go e you an example. Remember when shinji was playing the cello and and Auska was impressed? His fall back was to say he wasn't very good, he could quit any time, he had no choice. From my stand point "take the fucking complement shinji." Especially when it comes from some one like Auska who is hard to impress.
Shinji wants a pittyparty but he cant help others instead. What shinji needed wasn't more people to feel sorry for him, he needed some one to be proud of him. The problem is shinji does what he is told and thats not something that people would be proud of, he saves the world with the effort of all those behind him. He can't seem to understand that everyone is also suffering in their own way and he should count that as being lucky that some one does make the effort.
Problem with shinji the effort is wasted when it's not the way he wants it or its not coming from his father.

She would then explode, and tell him to fuck off if he didn't want to pilot anymore. She wouldn't take care of him anymore if he didn't want to pilot.
At least Kaji was neutral to Shinjis decision. In the paper hands angel episodez Kaji treated shinji well regardless of shinjis decision to intervene or let the world be destroyed.

Kaworu was one of the few Eva characters I didn't like mostly because he's a faggot but partly because he was a bad character that was only on the show for the last 2 episodes I believe and how he immediately is shinjis friend and how shinji just accepts it. Even Toji had to beat the shit out of shinji before he was friends with him and kensuke is a military nerd who is obsessed with the Eva's (not to mention shinji saving them when they snuck out of the shelter), those friendships are justified and have reason behind them. Kaworu just tells Shinji he loves him and just like that they're friends, it seems a bit out of character for shinji doesn't it?

Shinji opened to Kaworu fucking immediately. Also, Asuka is a fucking harpy who treated Shinji like shit so often, why the fuck should he open up to her the one time she actually bothered to praise him?

>A fucking angel was able to get Shinji to open up just by being nice enough to him, she could have done it too.
That's because the angel was telling him what he wanted to hear, not what he needed to hear. I don't deny that shinji goes through harsh shit, but let's not deny the fact that his captain and the nerv crew still try to support him and make him feel better. They acknowledge that he is suffering so much but It's not enough because they aren't in the plug with him.

She didn't explode, he even did quit on being a pilot only to have misato running back to get him, shinji even admits he's a coward.

If i was in Shinji's place i would have fucked off away the moment the first angel came on earth. Good luck fuckers, i'm way too scared for this.

Because that's what people do when they want to change. Auska being nice to him for once, when he was doing something that was different instead of whining. When Auska showed some kindness shinji should have been proud he earned it for once.

The one thing Shinji was craving was for someone else to love him and praise him. Kaworu was the only person to say he loved Shinji in the entire fucking series, of course it's going to affect a kid who's as affection starved as him.

Shinji wanting someone in his life to love him isn't unreasonable considering the fact that he's routinely saving mankind from supernatural threats while operating his eva. Misato stepped in as his guardian, but she never treated him like an actual mother, and no one told his dad he needed to stop treating his son who was saving everyone's ass like shit all the time.

Asuka is more mentally damaged than shini is, in the context of her character it makes sense that she was being a bitch to him

Honestly, Misato did a decent job with all the Eva kids until Leliel at the earliest and Zeruel at the latest. Funny enough, both those fights have Shinji getting taken away and the important women in his life falling apart. Asuka trashes her room when he's in Leliel and starts doubting her Eva after the violent birthing imagery. Misato loses her shit when Shinji doesn't come out of S2 Engine Unit 01.

The Action Arc gets forgotten all the time, but people were relatively stable there until Touji got fucked.

Shinji only started retreating again after life kicked his teeth in and Asuka/Misato retreated inwards themselves. It's also why he was so gay for Kaworu: he needed someone who would say they loved him and Asuka was a vegetable, Rei was on the third iteration, and Misato was in soldier mode because Kaji was dead. He even says Kaworu was the first person to say "I love you" to him, and you see Misato's heart break because she had just denounced Kaworu as an enemy Angel and knew she fucked up.

If you wanted, you could also extrapolate that to Misato trying to motivate him with sex near the end; she sucked at saying it, but she knows how to show it with her vagina. It worked for Kaji, and she cares about Shinji about as much, in a mama bear sort of way.

>Misato stepped in as his guardian, but she never treated him like an actual mother, and no one told his dad he needed to stop treating his son who was saving everyone's ass like shit all the time.
Because she's not his mother, but she was there for him. Misato cant be everything shinji wants, and at least she was trying more than any one else did. Plus she went through rough shit herself.
Shinji did have people that loved him, but he felt he didn't deserve it and he felt they were taking it because they wanted him to pilot the Eva. While part of it was true they still wanted to help shinji feel better but they couldn't because they couldn't give him what he wanted, which was tell him that he is right and give him constant praise.

No. Because you're a compassionate human being who wishes to help kids in trouble instead of just lead him around by the nose and treat him like a tool.

Shinji needs to meet Team Rabbits. He could really use the help of their non asshole adult superiors.

She even kissed shinji before he gets into the Eva in EoE

Sure, Asuka being such a bitch makes sense, but so does Shinji not opening up to her because she decided to give him a compliment once in between her never ending condescension and shit talking.

His dad was a secret beta who was also the most powerful man in the organization, so nobody would step to him except for Ritsuko or Fuyutsuki. Ritsuko didn't care about Shinji and nobody cares about Fuyutsuki.

I find it hard to say who is worse.
They are both fucked up

>but she was there for him.

No she wasn't. She's a raging alcoholic and is completely incapable of connecting on an emotional level unless sex is involved. Not only was she not their for him, she probably did more harm than good. The only thing she did was guilt trip into staying anytime he had the nuts to leave.

And when those women started to retreat emotionally shinji should have seen the signs that they are on the way to sufferingn like he did, and should have given them a hug. Women suffer emotionally all the time and Shinji not being there was a fault on his own. People suffer too, shinji was afraid of that since no one would coddle him.

Shinji was still saving their lives on the regular. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, but every fucking person there who had the chance owed it to him to put their job on the line to tell his dad to stop being a cunt. The thing is, everyone talks about how Shinji should have done better without realizing just how much every adult in his life was failing him.

You're right there, after all the shit asuka did to Shinji and (I can't remember if they happen before or after the compliment) the mixed feelings that are sometimes given of such as in the kiss scene and the part where asuka sneaks into shinjis room and sleeps next to him it would be normal for him to not take the compliment. Not to mention I don't think he's ever taken a compliment from anyone in the show ever without putting himself down, that's just his character. He has serious daddy issues and as a result severe self esteem and confidence issues

Yes she was, episode 1 she was there, Toji issue she was there, she was there all the time and shinji went autistic and said DONT TOUCH ME. She was there dispute her faults. Guilt trip was his own doing, she told him he did good things. She showed him what he protected. Misato did more than anyone did in that series to help shinji.

Nah Asuka has it way worse but during the events of the show and the angels Shinji manages to come to a close second

And yet she was still outdone by an angel who gave Shinji more affection than she did.

Because the angel gave the baby his bottle instead of helping grow up.

Asuka may have it worse, but she also behaves way the fuck worse. Shinji just shuts himself off from everyone else, Asuka actively belittles and bullies everyone who isn't her unless she wants to fuck them.

It's like everyone in the show is a damaged individual.

It's almost like Shinji never had a parent around to give him the affection everyone needs once in their life and it fucked up his development or something.

>shinji went autistic and said DONT TOUCH ME
Because shinji isnt retarded and he could tell misato was a broken mess who wanted sex in a bad moment and he didnt want to give in

>Guilt trip was his own doing

Bullshit. They always went on about it being his choice but anytime he chose not to do what they wanted, he was "running away." In the first fucking episode she pressures him into the robot by asking why he came when his dad called despite the fact that he didn't even know the robot existed. She let bullies beat the shit out of the kid because of some "She wanted him to have a normal life." bullshit.

Yeah, it's total mama bear, but it's also "I've been a shit mom and a shit CO, but you're a man now and I'm not shit at being a woman."

The sad but sweet thing is she knows she's bleeding out, so they'll never actually do it; in her head she wants to be degraded as a whore but still won't cross that line with her kid, even in the face of Armageddon.

Yeah, instead he got an older sister with her own issues but still makes time for shinji. It's better than fucking nothing which would have happened if misato didn't take him in.

If misato didn't take Shinji would he be more fucked up or less?

I think it would be the former but what do you guys think?

He'd have probably been where he was before he showed up. A bit anti social with dad issues but generally out of the way.

Oh please
Shinji isnt a saint either, some one was fucking there for him and all you can think of is that she was damaged too. It's better than nothing and shinji wanted to feel bad. That's what people like shinji do they love feeling sorry for themselves. Kaworu was that enabler to let shinji feel bad for himself and be rewarded for it.

It's better than nothing, yes, I'll grant that, but remember that his dad's original plan WAS nothing. He wanted Shinji to live in a fucking empty apartment without anyone else.

All I'm saying is Shinji clearly needed someone who was prepared to be a parent to him, because that's what it was going to take to get him out of his withdrawn self-hatred.

Was did Shinji even think of Toji and Kensuke? He wants affection, but is still depressed despite these 2 becoming his friends not even halfway through the show. Could someone clarify with me? I don't really understand.

>She let bullies beat the shit out of the kid because of some "She wanted him to have a normal life." bullshit.
So you want your mommy to step in Every time you get bullied? Shinji needs to deal with interactions like that, there is no safe space for shinji, there shouldn't be, because that's what makes him closed off and run away. He knows he's running away.

More fucked up, he would be like Rei.

Kaworu actually gave Shinji some semblance of self-esteem, dude. Anyone could have done it if they handled him right.

You call it coddling, but every kid is coddled when they're a kid. Shinji was the way he was because that's what happens when you suck the love out of a child's life. Shinji's dad created him and nobody had the fucking balls to point it out in the entire show.

With the Eva piloting and the crap he was going through its arguable that he wouldn't have to put up with misato or asukas shit but then again shinji would have the stress of piloting Eva and all of his previous issues to deal with by himself. Misato did help shinji open up a bit and you can tell the characters care for each other but it's a close call. And when misato stops Shinji from leaving into he show if she had never taken him in would he have just left?

He liked them. Thats why the big turning point of the series when everything starts tumbling down is when shinji cripples / kills Toji

>All I'm saying is Shinji clearly needed someone who was prepared to be a parent to him, because that's what it was going to take to get him out of his withdrawn self-hatred.
But life didn't give him that, if we all got what we wanted than we'd all be happy. Shinjis got a raw deal, but It's not like others weren't trying to help him.

>Shinji isnt a saint either

Shinji is a goddamn child. A child who is already broken beyond belief. Of course he's not going to open up to some crazy bitch who reeks of booze and is constantly getting in his face. That's not how psychology works.

You can't just have the harlot constantly badger him by shouting "IM THERE FOR YOU!" over and over all the while she constantly sends him out into mortal peril. Not only is he not going be to be receptive due to already existing psychological but it's going to send the message that his only value is as an eva pilot and not a person and you know where that gets you? Asuka!

Misato was the only adult putting in any halfway serious effort in the entire fucking show.

And she sucked at it like they where Kaji's balls.

Well kensuke spoke to shinji at first because of Eva so you can see how he'd be reluctant to speak with him about Eva related topics and with toji he thinks he crippled him (even though it was the dummy plug) and feels guilty about his input in his friends disability

Self-esteem? No he was dependant on kaworu to make him feel better. Everyone else was trying to get shinji to find his own happiness. Shinji just wanted someone to do it for him because it was too hard.

>Everyone else was trying to get shinji to find his own happiness.

No they weren't. The only time anyone, including Misato, showed him any kindness was when he was piloting Eva. Even when she was building him up it was Eva related.

Dude, Shinji needed someone to be dependent on. That's the whole point of parenting a kid: They're dependent on you not just for food and warmth and learning about the world, but for emotional support too. Shinji needed to have someone fill the parental role in his life before he could grow out of it, like how you did, and like how everyone who ends up well adjusted did.

Even if your argument wasn't a grotesque misrepresentation of how things were, it still falls flat because it blatantly didn't fucking work

>You can't just have the harlot constantly badger him by shouting "IM THERE FOR YOU!" over and over all the while she constantly sends him out into mortal peril.
Yet you keep belittling the efforts made from misato. She knew what shinji was going through and frankly she kept dealing with it because she knew how hard it was one him. But being a 14 year old kid doesn't mean shinji is a baby. Misato didn't have the luxury to raise shinji when he was a baby, she was a mute at that time. So gove her some credit when some one who suffered not just loss but also when through a near death experience of the 2nd impact.
She makes the most effort and its sad that people call her a whore for sleeping with one guy. Fuck misato life doesn't revolve around shinji. That's what posses you off, shinji isnt the center of every ones attention for certain moments in the show and now they are whores.

14 year old old would be dependant on their friends, but not 24 7. He isn't the only one suffering.

>Yet you keep belittling the efforts made from misato.

Because they didn't work and she is the adult. There is no shared blame. And whatever excuses she made are irrelevant when she CHOSE to take him in despite being grossly under qualified. She is the adult so any issue she has take a backseat the moment she invited him into her house. There is no SHARED blame. There is an adult who should know better and know that she's not qualified.

Shinji was risking his life to save the lives of fucking everyone. He did so multiple times. In all honestly, he really should have been the center of their attention of they had any reasonable sense of gratitude.

Because he didn't want it too. He didn't want to try because he is scared.

>lying to Shinji
literally worse than Gendo

>Trying to get Shinji to find his own happiness

No they weren't misato only took him in because she pitied the kid and had daddy issues, she used shinji to try and make her feel better about herself and what better way than trying (and failing) to raise (she was the closest thing to a parent Shinji ever had) a broken child

If it worked when Kaworu did it, then obviously it worked. You seem to be upset that it worked and you're acting like nobody else owed it to him even when they all literally owed their lives to him several times over.

Im not going to say shinji didnt need someone to be dependent on, but this was also a problem.
Shinji lost his childhood, but just treating him like a child again won't solve things up.
Another important part of the story was that he needed to grow up and learn to be independent, or he would end up, at best, like misato.

One of the themes of the series is growing up, and i think he did achieve that by the end of it. It took the end of the world, but he learned it

However by the end of the series shinji and misato do care for each other and misato does worry about shinji

>Because they didn't work and she is the adult.
Awwww they didn't work, what a fucking surprise, its like when a teenager throws a fit and the parent isnt able to help, like how everyone goes through this shit.
You keep tryingn to put his parents on a pedestal and make everything all better, and you even say it took an angel for shinji to open up. Maybe because he's an angel no fucking human could get him to open up.
Parents aren't perfect and the make mistakes and they sure as hell cant make the bad bad go away way with the snap of their fingers.

Yeah and how annoying that would get? Auska that's what. You get it now, those people had work to do so they could keep having shinji saving the world, they weren't just twiddling their thumbs doing nothing.

Like she never showed affection to shinji especially when he was trapped in the Eva.

I find discussing "ifs" useless. What happened happened

Parents can make kids who aren't self-hating introverts who cringe when someone touches them though. That's just what happens when you neglect children, dude. You can't compare your own teenage experience with that of someone who was treated horribly when they were a little kid and never got the proper development into becoming a teenager that you did.

Not him but you’re taking things completely out of context like he’s just a normal pampered teenager throwing a fit for no reason. If a parent can’t provide emotional support then they shouldn’t have children.

And name one parent in the series that could do that for him. Name one willing parent that would have taken shinji in in that series.

I want to bring up Majestic Prince again because I think it's a good example of how the adults SHOULD be treating their child soldiers.

The kids in question are all test tube babies who have had their memories all wiped and are being sent to the front lines of battle because, sadly, they're the only ones who can. Instead of treating them like tools or disposable pawns however they're constantly being reminded of how human they are. They're each given a mechanic crew to act as a surrogate family and take real interest in their lives and treat them like they're really family. Answer questions and provide real emotional support. Their captain, their former teacher, while knowing her role as a commander always put their safety and well being to the forefront and when she nearly lost one of them to save the others we see it actually DEVASTATED her when she was in private. Not actually loosing, THE THOUGHT OF LOOSING a single one of them crushed her. They're given all the love and attention anyone could want and though the battles do take emotional toll on them it's helped balanced by just how much they are loved by those on their side. Even the mysterious commander is willing to divulge classified info to the larger staff if it means saving their lives.

This is what Shinji needed. People treating him like a real human. Looking out for him, showing interest in his interests, no secrets and adults who are actually capable of looking after a kid.

>they had work to do!
Yes, and they were full grown fucking adults who weren't risking their own lives every time an angel attacked. They were asking more of someone who was more broken than any of them and they failed him. Shinji was drafted into this shit by his dad under the pretense of a family reunion and only suffered for it.

Being "trapped in the eva" was, by all intents and purposes, being dead.
It took his death for people to show real emotion towards him.

That's the whole hedgehog dilemma thing: Shinji was always afraid of getting hurt and all the women who let him in were full on spines out. When Misato/Asuka were too much, he'd go to Rei II to talk about stuff, but he rarely saw Rei III and she was basically a blank slate anyway. Kid never made the first move; nobody but Action Arc Asuka ever consistently did. The fact she ends up passively bitchy by the end is a clear sign something is deeply wrong, but the other two are too in their own heads to notice.

Oh no, you're right; it's a given the adults let him down hard. Remember though, Gendo is shit scared of Shinji because of EVA-01and his own running away from being a father. Everyone else is shit scared of Gendo because he is the head of an organization that is crucial to an apocalyptic conspiracy.

You tell a man with the presence, power, and sheer cojones of Gendo "hey, stop being such a cunt to Shinji." He had the Dummy Plug override his kid's wishes to not kill his Angel infected friend.
Motherfucker gunned Ritsuko down in cold blood when they were fuckbuddies. He ate a fucking Angel embryo so he could grope a clone of his dead wife in order to start Instrumentality. You'd wind up in the fucking lake they kept that boat Asuka threw.

>And name one parent in the series that could do that for him.
His fucking dad who made him the mess he is in the first place and who had the time to dote over Rei plenty.

Did you skip the episodes where shinji is stuck in the Eva? Misato cried when she thought he was dead. Not to mention she did take him in and there are moments that she does show affection to shinji (I can't name them off the top of my head cause it's been ages since I last watched the show) regardless of her motive for taking shinji in in the first place she does care for him and shinji does care for her.