Do I have to watch all episodes of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z...

Do I have to watch all episodes of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Z Kai to enjoy/understand Dragon Ball Super?

Yeah get started

To understand why it's garbage yeah

Skip DB and just watch Z and then watch GT and you're good.

Skip out on GT.

I heard GT is not canon?

You can skip DB since nothing that happens in it is relevant to anything at all. Kai isn't necessary either since it's just a remaster. You need to watch GT because to understand why super is worse in comparison.
It doesn't matter if it's canon or not, it's still better. Toriyama can say whatever the fuck he wants about canon or otherwise but that doesn't mean it makes sense or is even true.
>inb4 he's the creator so he knows best
That senile old fool forgets characters and transformations all the time. He doesn't know what's best for the series anymore.

Ok, I will start waching Z Kai then since it's shorter.

Don't skip DB.

Skip DB and just watch Kai.

Dont skip DB.It's one of the dumbest thing to do because in manga form,DB and DBZ are litteraly the same manga.It's like reading Harry Potter and starting at ther 4th book.DB is also a lot of fun.

So watch DB but skip the fillers and then watch DB Kai.Forget about GT unless you really want to watch it.

Read the manga.

Viz translation of Dragon Ball is shit.As far as I know,the only good translation that exist is the french "Perfect Edition''by Glénat.Wish that Viz would do the same.

You can't understand the recent Super Pretty Eyes Vegeta if you don't watch and read everything in chronological order. Including non-canon cross-overs with other manga

DB and Kai is more than enough.

he wants to fulfill his promise to cabba, he actually says it out loud. piccolo explains that vegeta's "pride" has been triggered. it's all right there in the transformation sequence

you are all literally autistic if you think you can't jump right in at any point. the show is made for casual japanese children, there are always minor characters spelling shit out, and obvious visual cues (if not straight up flashbacks)

for example the locket in the ToP. anyone with a basic understanding of the story will understand that gohan feels remorse after wiping out that universe, but in case you don't really know gohan that loser drops a picture of his wife and kids to remind you at full volume ALL THESE PEOPLE HAVE LIVES

All you need is DBZ, but you should watch DB too. GT is a different canon and Kai is just a worse version of DBZ.

DBS is easy to understand - enjoy, not so much.

Seriously though jumping straight into Super is a horrible idea. Start with DBZ. It's long as fuck, so you could end up skipping around each series before finishing it, which is fine, but you should see at least the first "big" fight in DBZ before deciding whether to move along. Those episodes make up some of the most important evidence for what made Dragon Ball so explosively popular; you'll see why.

DB might be better than DBZ, but it's also boring, so don't start with it.

He needs DB too.DBZ doesnt introduce shit,if you didnt watch DB you're just there wondering who the hell are most of these people,their connection and why they're like that.

>Skip DB
>Skip the first third of the story
OP don't listen to this shitbird.

Watch DB, skip some filler if you want. Watch Kai. You don't need to bother with GT. It's not as bad as some people say but if you're trying to get into the series it's that you save it for much later as supplemental material. Super is like the weaker aspects of the series but it's still the weaker aspects that people liked.

The plot and characters are not that hard to figure out, but you should watch DB and Z/Kai (or just read the manga) for context though.

DBS artstyle is shit, but you are also comparing a movie with just a 1 minute flashback from the show.

I know. I think it's still pretty telling.

Just read the entire manga, it's worth it. Don't bother with the anime, watch some edited fights on Youtube. But yes, DBS is only watched by people because nostalgia, it doesn't have value on itself.

This post make me wonder if people actually read or watch DB,telling the guy to skip the first part of the series.

Don't listen to those who say to start from DBZ. You're missing a lot of the fun, which is watching the characters grow organically. You won't understand why it's a big deal that Goku and Piccolo team up at the beginning of Z if you don't watch or read DB previsouly. Besides it's all the same fucking manga.

Exactly^

kai is just a shortened (better) version of z. original dbz had a lot of useless filler.

I recommend watching the original DB just because its good. you'll also have a much stronger attachement to goku when you see him grown up in dbz for the first time.

also, disregard the haters. super is superior to dbz in almost every way. at baseline it's a direct continuation in look and feel, but it improved a lot of technical aspects of its story telling over dbz.

kek holy shit this

>Skip DB
faggot faggot found the faggot

If you want to enjoy Dragon Ball Super you probably need drugs.

FAGGOT BALL Z

I heavily prefer Super's animation to the originals. your comparison is unfair because you're choosing a scene that was redrawn to fit supers shading style, which is inherently cleaner and much lighter on details - this is not good or bad, it's simpy up to taste. however, the technical aspects of the animation are all improved - it's generally higher framerate, it's drawing of perspectives is so much better than in z it cannot be overstated, it's much more legible and the design of new aspects such as new transformations and ki based attacks is much improved.

>but it improved a lot of technical aspects of its story telling over dbz.

Such as...?

If the OP is watching in english,Watching DB and then DB Kai is the best option because Funi dub of the original DBZ is shit.If he's watching in japanese,DB and then he can decide between DBZ or Kai.

>You won't understand why it's a big deal that Goku and Piccolo team up at the beginning of Z if you don't watch or read DB previsouly
unless you pay attention to the part where piccolo explains that he plans on killing goku and taking over the world himself. piccolo is very clearly a bad guy with his own motives

also krillin says shit like "are you sure we can trust him?" "he's a bad guy!" etc

do any of you understand the purpose of filler in shows like this? there's a difference between "filler", "padding", and "explaining stuff in case you don't follow the show religiously"

a lot of the so called "filler" in DBZ is dialog put in there to help the average viewer that may have tuned in mid- episode.

>it's much more legible and the design of new aspects such as new transformations and ki based attacks is much improved.
You've got an okay argument but I absolutely 9000% disagree.

Who watches dubbed anime? That wasn't even in question of course I will watch subbed.

>a lot of the so called "filler" in DBZ is dialog put in there to help the average viewer that may have tuned in mid- episode.

15% of DBZ are fillers and i'm not counting''Paddings'' that are half an episode of filler and then canon stuff.

And if it's mention that Piccolo is a bad guy,why is he a bad guy? Where is he from? Who's the hero,why is he friend with a Turtle guy and rich bitch?

The go with DB and you can either go DBZ or DBKai. Kai is better because of cut out fillers and the pacing being better,but the music is trash.

holy shit if you're going to skip DB and actually listen to the retards in this thread at least watch the highlights (piccolo fights, world tournament finals, etc.) on youtube or read it since it's way faster. You won't give a shit about the characters and what happens in Z otherwise. The 2 tournaments (and you DEFINITELY want to see goku vs piccolo at the tournament) are pretty close to z in terms of brutal action and tone anyway.

DB introduces stuff like the Pilaf gang and the Mafuba which aren't in Z at all

FLCL, Code Geass, Death Note, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop

Some are worth checking out.

I liked DBZ before I saw DB.

Just sayin’.

You shouldn't watch DB first because it's "required"

you do it because it's actually good

If you just want to start from the point where the action becomes the focus, go from the 22nd Budokai.

Honestly atleast watch the important bits of DB.

-The meeting with Roshi and the reveal of the Kamehameha.
-The fights against King Piccolo.
-All the Budokais.

Things like the pirate arc and most of the red ribbon army are easily skippable but there are some key points worth seeing that will make things that happen in the future make more sense and have more impact.

The red ribbon arc is literally why Dr.Gero and Cell exist.He should not skip that( or anything in DB except filers)

They really fucking aren't. Dr. Gero was created entirely out of thin air and was given a red ribbon army connection that is completely tenuous and never made important or further explained. The most important thing that happens in RR is Goku meeting Korrin, which itself isn't that important to anything in Z and beyond other than he's the senzu bean provider.