Manga panels & composition

Post your favorite pages of manga with interesting composition/panels.

Akira had a really cinematic layout in general and it was pretty impressive to read. The way the action as framed and presented and how it cut to other characters at times felt like watching a movie even when reading it. I did have some problems (speech bubble layout generally) with the flipping of the version I read and it was the only English version I could find.

maybe pick some actual GOOD panels from devilman

Oh wow. This one's incredible.

Nice thread OP. I saved a bunch of manga pages that caught my eye but they're on another hard drive unfortunately.

My favorite is when artists play with the panels themselves: giving them interesting shapes, going for non-grid layouts, having some art bleed out of the margins (creates a lot of depth), etc.

yeah, Otomo is like the master at paneling, in my opinion.

It's just as autistic and cluttered as I remember.

I like that despite their stone faces, both their hands are still trembling.

too bad it got axed

Atelier never stops surprising me, if you're interested in paneling in general then Will Eisners books are worth your time.

this is garbage, at least post something decent if you post from naruto

Every page of Black Clover is extremely well composed. You can read it an instant.

There's a goddamn recap mid-page.

sasuga tatsuki

UltraHeaven goes places.

You mean that thing with the speech bubbles. That's called good composition.

Atelier has some fantastic paneling, helps that the art is absolutely fantastic too

That is fantastic

Man, Ishida's art is great when he's not drawing anything related to fighting

Despite being so easy to read and having beautiful backgrounds I can't bring myself to endure the story of Nanatsu no Taizai, this dude needs to team up with a good writer, could work magic.

Some of you really should go ahead and kill yourselves, we were having a great thread.

Evangelion reference?

>wasting image count with some stupid gif unrelated to Sup Forums
The only person ruining it is you.

Why is the wheat there though?

The artist was a huge Westaboo, so it's no surprise that his paneling is also great.

Koe no Katachi has a lot of good examples of paneling done right.

I would read Comics and Sequential Art, and a book on cinematography that focuses on paneling and transitions (prime example is Lawrence of Arabia) if you're interested in the subject itself. Most people can recognize good paneling, but they can't put it into words as to why they like it.

Reminder that this not only got a reprint, but a sequel as well. You can buy both books signed straight from Kirchner himself.

Takemitsu Zamurai had some fantastic paneling. Taiyou Matsumoto has always had great paneling, but he showed it in almost every page through this manga. I also agree with OP, Otomo is one of the best in panel framing.

what the fuck, this is tokyo ghoul?

An example of how some authors panel with 2 pages in mind. Kubo also lay out his pages that way so a bunch of things get lost when you only read chapters page by page online.

>English version is flipped

This was a tough read. The compositions and art were just stellar, but it was so fucking sad.

Nakamura Asumiko is brilliant.

Posting more Otomo, from his manga Domu. This manga was perfectly framed from start to finish.

I can't find where I fucking saved it but the framing was a window with a couple panels inside then the bottom panel a girl looking out the window, I'm going to keep searching my folders and googling if I have to but if anyone knows what I'm talking about feel free to post it

They are in a car in the Countryside.

This is piss poor composition.

Hagio Moto is a great panelist but her seventies art style was the prime

>only a few of her series are TLed

Damn.

There were several hunks of shit before that page, let people have their fun.

What's Otomo doing nowadays?

I know, but the point was the foreshadowing.

Like look at this page after their final confrontation. This takes place a few days after they blew up half the apartment complex. They see each other a few days later, and the girl sits across from the old man.

In one page, and two frames, Otomo shows the antagonist isolated and broken and the protagonist upright, confident, and protecting the apartment complex the old dude was terrorizing.

Kaoru Mori has great lines. She can do detail and movement gracefully and expressive.

that was it thanks!

Dang that stair/panel transition is brilliant. Will check this out. How it the story?

Nihei's compositions got better through Blame, and were much better overall through Abara and Biomega, but volume 8 is where it really started to click. This scene was great, and likened the net to something mythological, making it seem that much more out of reach.

there's an webm or gif of it, gonna try finding it

Most of Asumiko Nakamura’s manga is translated. The only problem is that her new stuff is very boring compared to her short stories and debut manga.

I have a ton of Akira single panels I could dump. I took the manga apart for a blog I was writing about paneling.

Kon made really few manga but did really well on those.

Also this

This from Karakuri Circus or another of his works?

At least post old Naruto, what you posted is mostly action lines.