I want to watch Speed Racer, should I watch the original Mach GoGoGo (god knows if there's a eng subs...

I want to watch Speed Racer, should I watch the original Mach GoGoGo (god knows if there's a eng subs, thought i don't mind the cheesy dub) the 97 version, or the manga?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_for_Children's_Television
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the show has been fansubbed, except for the last two episodes. I think funimation also subbed it recently.

Just, looked, and yeah, funimation did sub it.

I would go with the original, either dubbed or subbed.

The '97 version felt like a shitty retread of the Cyber Formula TV series and it got cancelled less than halfway through its planned run, while the manga was OK but not great IMO. Reading through it made me realize just how many little things got changed for the original TV series, especially the ending.

what things got changed?

Well, the biggest change was that in the Manga, Racer X revealed himself to Speed in the last chapter and everything ends of a happy note. The Anime has Racer X, Speed and a group of villains that hadn't been seen since early on in the series compete in a race that was set up by the mysterious organization Racer X has been fighting, shit gets crazy and everybody teams up to fight back. Later, when Speed finally mans up and asks if he's his brother, there's a pause and Racer X socks Speed in the stomach and then says "I can never go home again" before driving off.

Also, the TV series was actually a hell of a lot more violent than the Manga, introduced new characters and expanded on certain stories .(The Alpine Rally and the "Race Around The World" being the biggest two off of the top of my head.)

HERE HE COMES

HERE COMES SPEED~RACER

I barely remember shit from Speed Racer, but rewatching it and, holy shit, those car crashes are fucking brutal.
Also, Trixie a qt

Well, real-life racing in the 60's was fucking brutal too. Makes sense that the author wanted the TV series to convey that when his editors kept telling him to tone it down in the Manga.

HE'S GOING OVER THAT CLIFF

*infernal screeching*

I really love the look of Tatsunoko girls in the late 60s and in the 70s.

Pic related.

Watch the live-action Wachowsky movie afterwards, OP.

The look has grown on me more and more. Especially after a few months of playing Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom back when it first came out with a few friends.

>TvC
Don't remind me we didn't got Samurai Pizza Cats or Speed Racer

HE'S A DE~MON ON WHEELS

AAAAAAAAAA

More importantly, we'll never get a sequel.

A gold mine for reaction pics

The failure of it caused Tatsunoko to shitcan a planned Gatchaman remake that may or may not have been faily itself. It still looked interesting compared to CROWDs trying to take that brand.

>watching a cartoon

Is that from the 60s? I watched Speed Racer in the 60s and thought it was awesome.

I remember some tracks having a "X" days dince last death/accident board outside of them at that time.

Wasn't there already a Gatchaman remake in 1994 though?

>I watched Speed Racer in the 60s
No you didn't

Yeah. It was from one of those faggot "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" watchdog groups.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_for_Children's_Television

They were the epitome of NO FUN ALLOWED.

I got the recent bluray set that funimation released because I fucking love speed racer, my dad grew up with speed racer so we had the whole series on VHS

The original dub is a labor of love, with pretty much only the names being changed to better fit the american audience. The guy who voices Speed also translated and wrote the localized script, and voiced like 5 other characters in the show.

the BDs look great too

> H.R. Pufnstuf

Kinda ironic that came about in part due to complaints about violence, considering that show's reputation of looking like a drug fueled nightmare.

This really, you should watch the original English dub if only for the sheer fact that Peter Fernandez put his heart and soul into bringing it to the states.

I think the English dub of the original series is the only thing you can get independently from the collector's edition.

Which, frankly, is some absurd shit. I don't want to spend close to 300 bucks on a hollowed out bust of Speed just so I can have both language options for the 60s show and also the remake.

the costs and packaging were the only things that also made me hesitate at making the purchase at the time too.

Mere letters cannot grasp that sound.

lel