Can we get a thread for this masterwork going? Hardly ever see anyone talk about it here despite how good it is...

Can we get a thread for this masterwork going? Hardly ever see anyone talk about it here despite how good it is. One of the few anime if any that I would give a 10/10.

Other urls found in this thread:

niceme.me/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Only if we ignore the last quarter excluding the finale

What anime?

I would say it starts to fall apart even before that, around the midway point.

Kaiba

I just remember the peak of it was when to dude just accidentally dropped his mom. I had to pause for like 30 seconds after that.

Never heard of. Must be shit.

I thought Chrono's episode was the best, personally.

>Never heard of. Must be shit.

Don't take the bait, dipshit.

Wish they would've explained him losing his mother in some way other than him just tripping and falling and dropping her into hell. It was just too fucking contrived of an ass pull for me to stomach at that point.

How does it start to fall apart? I felt from beginning to end it was pretty cohesive, other than Popo's mother's memory chip being burned.

I figured the point was to show that people like him will lose everything valuable to them one way or another, though I agree it was a bit forced.

First half of Kaiba is 10/10, but the transition to the 2nd half is so bad, it drops to at least an 8/10. Still one of my favs, just be a bit realistic about it.

I think it explained everything too early on. The first half was weird and great with how in the dark we were as audience members. I think the magic was lost a little too soon when basically everything was explained. From that point on, it was mostly kids being dramatic and angsty at each other. Things became a bit heavy handed and far too blunt in comparison to the first half. It should've kept the more obscure mode of story telling through up until the finale. The show would've been a much more satisfying journey that way. The final episode is undoubtedly great though.

in this case its true

>yuasa

>The first half was weird and great with how in the dark we were as audience members. I think the magic was lost a little too soon when basically everything was explained.

I agree that the first half was meant to be a sort of journey experience where the stage is unfamiliar, but even in the first half the story made it clear that while the individual memories and stories we experience were important, there was also an alternate thread being weaved that was centered on the characters first introduced particularly Kaiba.

>mostly kids being dramatic and angsty

The artstyle may help soften the immediate idea that they're adults, but you shouldn't consider it overly dramatic. I saw the bluntness as necessary since after the stage was set we see what the character's motivations are. In the end Kaiba is struggling against himself, presented as alternate copies of him with bitter views and greed who either don't want to care about anyone else or are jaded with nihilism. There were some parallels with End of Evangelion in the main character needing to come to terms with himself, showing what he should believe in if anything at all, and whether or not the world that he'd ruled from something he'd made to try and help people was worth anything. Maybe it's just because I could see myself in the characters shown, but I didn't feel like it was all that hamfisted in melodrama at all.

niceme.me/

>there was also an alternate thread being weaved that was centered on the characters first introduced particularly Kaiba.
The problem is not the existence of the second thread, it's that they blow their whole load of exposition in episode 8-9, so the last few episodes don't have any mystery to them. That's not necessarily a problem in a vacuum, but the simple drama of the characters duking it out is boring.

lol

>run out of ideas
>I KNOW I'LL COPY EVANGELION NOBODY WILL NOTICE

It's good shit, there's threads every now and then but they always die fast due to a combination of few people having seen it and it being ancient by anime standards

>implying it's a copy
>I haven't actually watched the show

>the simple drama of the characters duking it out is boring.

I felt like the surface presentation of a simple drama was a good way to pull things back to the ground after a long journey questioning the nature of memory and everyone's various experiences trying to survive in a dystopia. But I also felt that there was more than just simple drama and fight scenes going on. Maybe it's just because I like biological psychology/neuroscience, but to me realizing who Kaiba was really fighting against, who he was, and the gravity of the choices he made despite everything was what the second half was working towards. I see in Kaiba a bit of everyone I've ever met. Greedy shitbags who just want to live for themselves, collaborators who want to lord over others while stabbing each other in the back, jaded people carrying the weight of a universe on their backs, tired kids in bodies that don't match their personalities who want to give up everything they've ever experienced because they don't think there's anything worth seeing anymore, all of them arrayed against each other in a fight for themselves in the second half of the show. Nevermind that Kaiba means hippocampus in Japanese, which is where memories are stored or the fact that the neural networks that comprise the hippocampus look very much like a tree that consumes memories.

I feel like a lot of people miss the deeper themes for the admittedly prominent political fight at the front of the screen and end up not seeing themselves in it.

>being ancient by anime standards

So now the cutoff's moved from 2000 to 2010 huh? Depressing.

You have to be 18 to post on this website

what the fuck, were having a thread celebrating an anime series and somebody cant ask what its called so that they can check it out and maybe enjoy it?

nah you just have to say you are

Is this ironic shitposting? Since when does anyone under the age of 18 talk like that?

Literally the best waifu of all time.

No one compares in purity or heart.