Why are so few japanese high schoolers who uses a car for transport?

Why are so few japanese high schoolers who uses a car for transport?

In america and europe nearly every high school last year drives with their car to school.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=driving age japan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm far more surprised by the lack of motor bikes.

lmgtfy.com/?q=driving age japan

are you retarded

Not in Europe either. Car culture is not insane there. Only in Murica you have to put money aside for a car and a gun when a child is born.

>In europe nearly every high school last year drives with their car to school.
What the fuck are you on? License alone costs 2 000 euros here and car itself is at least another 1k

The Nips drive more than other Asians.

See? Why the hell Highschoolers with mopeds or the ordinary license motorcycles are so rare?

>In europe nearly every high school last year drives with their car to school
Can't attest to that. And I'm from Germany, we are arguably to most car-enthusiastic nation in europe.

And most yuros can't even drive until partway through their last year.

1k? Cars only cost about $1200?

>In america and europe nearly every high school last year drives with their car to school.

Burger pls.
Not all government hate their own people like yours do.
We got great public transportation and Uber works well.

If you buy something 20 years old with four wheels held together by tape then yeah.

This

You buy some beat up piece of shit for 800 euros and slap fees on it for 600

Why would they need to? Trains get them pretty much everywhere they go if their destination isn't in walking distance already, and the train stations are usually within walking distance of the school too. They don't need cars, unlike Americans who live fifteen miles from wherever they have to be at any given moment.

>and europe
What? No.

>europe
Driving age is 18. Plus people in cities don't necessarily own a car at all because there's fucking nowhere to park.

I've seen a practical test for a driver's license in America. A few minutes test drive on a primitive 1990's car driving simulation with SVGA graphics. $30 fee. Didn't want to believe it, but that was all. The car manufacturing oligarchs make the traffic laws in the US, and the only thing they care about are automobile sales. If you can spell your name without soiling your pants in the process, you're qualified to drive a car in the US. No surprise that deadly accidents per vehicle are almost twice as high there as they are in Europe.

And then it's only a matter of weeks until you have to consult a mechanic and pay your first repair bill.

>A few minutes test drive on a primitive 1990's car driving simulation with SVGA graphics. $30 fee.
In what world?

This is complete utter bullshit but I really wish it were true, I'd have my license by now.

And if the mechanic hate your guts and plan to cheat you like 80% of them, enjoy your first of a dozen of 100+ euro bills.

>car manufacturing oligarchs make the traffic laws in the US

Sure you're not talking about eastern europe there buddy? Where literal oligarchs drive around doing whatever the fuck they want without any real repercussions?

ANYWAYS, it is true that alot of DMV's aren't ideal, but you're just being a fucking dolt who's turning everything into a false extreme. Its more along the lines of them not enforcing taking away your license when you're too fucking old to be on the road.

When I registered for my license the first thing I saw was an at-least 80 something year old hobble in to renew his license and that required him to take the sight test again (big to small letter chart). He then proceeded to say "I cant see any of those letters". The bitch then starts to move the chart closer and closer saying "can you see it now??" until he could see it. Now shit like that is total bullshit.

Most are driving their parents car, let's be honest.

>implying car dependence is a good thing
>unnecessary cost and risk to citizen's already tight finances
>unnecessary pollution and noise
>makes roadways more dangerous, drives communities apart, separates residential areas from business areas which creates a death spiral of car dependency wherein citizens have their own towns taken away from them
>needless deaths, far outnumber gun deaths, death from most diseases, homicides, or even cancer
>dead animals all over the place to rot
>children can't play in the streets anymore
>teenagers are stuck at home, cannot develop socially, cannot spend money in downtown and enrich the economy because the only transit option is a car, which they can't afford/drive
>children similarly socially isolated, do not develop independence or social skills
>everyone becomes fat, sick, and poor while being shut away in isolation, leading to a nation of fatass weirdos, degenerates, and sociopaths

Cage dependency is worse than two nukes.

Even at university most people don't bother driving in the UK. And our public transport is garbage compared to Japan.

The exact opposite of what people celebrated car culture for 50(?) years ago.

This.

Here in Italy less than 20% of high school last years use cars, for example in my old class there were only two guys who regularly used their (shitty second hand) cars.
And as this user said, parkings are non-existent or metered.

>everyone becomes fat, sick, and poor while being shut away in isolation, leading to a nation of fatass weirdos, degenerates, and sociopaths
Ironically, that pretty much sums up Japan, minus the obesity part.

What's the point when public transport works like a dream? Paradise Kiss is the only show I've ever seen that had a high school student drive his car to school.

Like, just walk.

In tokyo you haft to pay for parking spot in order to even get a car, parking is rarely free in the city, public transport is far better then in the any us metro area.

What anime is in che first pic?

Depends on country, for example in hong kong cars are unnecessary because of the good infracture, but in belgium the transport are really shitty here, constantly late busses and train.

Because you are constantly getting groped by strangers in japan and its also unhygienic.

>and Uber works well
Enjoy your botnet.

>license cost more than the car
Is this normal?

Do you honestly want more cg cars in anime?

Anyway iirc schools generally don't allow students to drive to school even if they have a license, and the senescence are mostly only for 18 yo, besides like two you can get at 16.

*liscenses
Had a stroke sorry

>Americans
You mean flyovers

most people in europe/japan either use public transportation, walk or use a bicycle
americans are too fat for that

is that way

I'd run/walk places if I didn't live in a deadly niggertown.
Need to be in my car so I can feel safe, like Gary Numan.

It's just your personal data, nothing wrong with letting multiple world goverments have it.

Yeah I should start just biking, not like I ever go far.

I've always been weirded out by kids in the USA being able to own and run cars.

Got to be 18 to drive.
Unless you have land to drive on and understanding parents you'll pobably have to pay £1k+ for driving lessons.
Have to pass a written and practical exam.
Cars, even used ones are expensive can't afford one on a students budget
Insurance costs as much as the car every year when you're young.
Got to have an MOT every year so you can't drive an old banger any more.
Petrol is expensive so you can't just drive round wherever without planning
Theres very little on street parking and most houses and flats don't have garages or large drives
Parking charges are extortionate even if you get residents discounts.
On top of that the roads are so crowded that most towns are faster to walk through and everything comes to a standstill from 06:30-09:30 and 16:00-18:00 so good luck driving to work.

>Anyway iirc schools generally don't allow students to drive to school
It has always baffled me how unconscionably jap schools meddle in the free times of their students. I know it's a problem in society at large, but the schools seem especially bad.

It always amuses me how butthurt people get about MUH FREEDOM when it comes to school rules. Go to a shitty school if you don't want to be educated as a proper member of society.

I see your point. Driving to school will certainly turn teens into yobs and miserable failures. Regulations have to be arbitrary to teach people the value of social cohesion.

Also: You actually need to show that you own the right to park your car (renting a spot or owning it), BEFORE you are even able to buy one, in some provinces (Probably especially densly populated "counties".

Everywhere in the US you have to drive an actual car around with a DMV employee to get you license.

Lots of students driving to school is a practical problem because they have to park somewhere. Which is going to be a pain in the arse for someone in the local area.
Clearly you weren't taught to consider the social consequences of your decisions.
Also like uniforms it prevents students being distinguished as carfags and poorfags.

Ther public transportation is HAYAI so they don't need to, they still use cars for beach trips tho.

The test is more extensive and difficult, basically you HAVE to pay for driving school which is expensive and I think the test itself is pricey even if you fail. Vehicles are cheap if you buy used (but Japanese never do) but they have high taxes, upkeep, and gas prices.

Also city traffic in Japan is hectic and horrible and parking is almost non-existent.

AND I am convinced Asians, genetically, are shittier drivers than whites.

>Because you are constantly getting groped by strangers in japan

>not wanting a group of old men to play with your butt while you ride to school
It's a feature not a negative

I dunno maybe it has something to be with 130 million people living on an island the size of Florida with half of it being mountains.

You can only park where it is legal, which naturally limits the number of cars. Those who, of their own accord, decide not to take the car will be those who didn't really need it in the first place.

There's some truth to your second argument, though. However, uniforms only restrict you inside the school, which, as far as I'm concerned, is fine. And unlike expensive clothes used as a status symbol, a car has some actual utility, and therefore schools should keep their hands off. To some degree peers will always know who comes from affluent circumstances, anyway.

>those who didn't really need it in the first place
That's all of them though.
You're still ignoring the fact that a lot of students trying to park locally - legally or otherwise - is a pain in the arse for the local community.
Also: most uniform policies apply on the way to and rom school, even if in practise that isn't enforced. Expensive clothes can also be useful. Besides, why should rules never cover things that are useful? That's just bizarre.
Again, the point is that you value personal freedom above social good. That's fine, just don't be so shocked that Japan doesn't agree.

>That's all of them though.
Not need in the sense that they couldn't possibly come to school without it, but in the sense that it makes their day noticeably easier.

The illegal parking can be solved with meter maids (and there were actually some in the area around my school, sometimes). I don't agree that the legal parking is an issue. It is not like they have less of a claim to a spot than anybody else. And the locals will be leaving for work before the studens come to school, and they will typically leave before the locals come driving home.

I'm not saying that utility should always trump regulations, but that utility is a weighty argument on the side of the student, and that needs to be balanced against, say, the schools intent to cover up differences in social class. In case of clothing the school's interest wins, but decidedly looses out when a student can cut his commute by half by driving.

But I am shocked by the extent of meddling in the personal lives of people, and see no reason not to be.

The marginal utility of a car for a high school student is tiny when Japan has good public transportation and bicycles exist.
>But I am shocked by the extent of meddling in the personal lives of people, and see no reason not to be.
Because you presume your values to be universal. They are not.

>Because you presume your values to be universal. They are not.
Of course they aren't, I'm not presuming that. Everyone knows that asian societies tend more towards collectivism than western ones.

However, that doesn't mean I have to be all like "Oh, it's explained by their value system, so it's alright". I feel for every student there who feels wronged by their society in the above contexts, and see no reason why I shouldn't make that known.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if most Europoors criticisms of America stem from 'i saw it in a YouTube video'

Because Japan is like a third the size of your average American state. Less distance between things, less of a need of cars.

Maybe they don't feel wronged and don't need your insulting sympathy.

Still less biased and manipulative than Murican TV reports.

>every student there who feels wronged
I am sure there are vanishingly few of them. Owning a car probably doesn't occur to high school students in Japan because they don't have the same car culture as the US. Never mind that for most of them it'd be less practical and more expensive than public transport.

Only if you didn't take driver's ed, or if your instructor recommended a full test.

No.

Having to travel at all is a cage. Jobs are more shit because you have to go to them.

This at least is reasonable. Not going to school when you will not learn is better than being forced to fill a seat to get more funds for the sportsball team.

They get small apartments near school instead. You would have too if you could, admit it.

Yes.

Nope.

Isn't it because public transport is pretty good in japan? Like where I live in america I don't even get buses and the closest train station is about a 30 minute drive from me so I have to have a car to get anywhere but in japan can't you walk to a lot of places/ if you cant go by train then walk to your destination?

Watch Bakuon

Pay your TV license

Buying a shitbox is always the less expensive part unless you live in a country with strict inspections. Getting the license itself isn't so bad in North America because we don't have mandatory training and our standards are shit but young drivers get absolutely fucked on insurance.

Are you seriously retarded? The real bullshit is employers keeping people from even riding bicycles to work because of their company insurance policy.

You watch Bakuon for the pizza delivery though.

Half of the trick is that like 99% of anime are set in the kanto region which is one of the mostly heavily developed areas anywhere in the world. Vehicle usage is higher almost everywhere else in Japan and comparable in importance to North America in rural areas.

>every high school
certainly not the ones in dense cities. That's what buses and trains are for, silly.

Only the Chads and Stacys do, and Japanese anime doesn't usually revolve around them.

This
They build cities with public transportation (and walking) in mind.
Murica does that for very few cities. And good luck if you're in the bible belt. Might as well shoot yourself with the gun you got when you were 10.

lol where did you "see" this test?

Lying on the internet? Why would someone do that?

That's not the case, at least not where I'm from. My DMV automatically fails you if you take your hands off the steering wheel, even at a red light.

>My DMV automatically fails you if you take your hands off the steering wheel, even at a red light.
how do you shift gears, then?

Here in Bongland you can get a solid functioning car for under a grand, and then you'll pay £2k for the first year of insurance.

because public transport is objectively superior.

>touching poor people

Just admit you're too spergy to pass the test

The amazing thing about Burgers these days is that you don't even need to wonder if they're retarded.

I worked in New York City for a year and a half and taking public transportation was a nightmare. Got gouged every month for poor service and so I could share my personal space with vermin. I'm so glad that I have the freedom to drive my own car now that I'm working down South.

Public transportation in the US is literally worse than that of most third world countries.

poorfag logic

>teenagers are stuck at home, cannot develop socially
>children similarly socially isolated, do not develop independence or social skills
>everyone becomes sick, and poor while being shut away in isolation, leading to a nation of fatass weirdos, degenerates, and sociopaths

Wait I thought you weren't describing Japan.

I'm from Eastern Europe, a shithole of a country and everyone here was able to afford a car in their last year of high school. More than half of my classmates already owned driving licenses and their own cars before high school ended. Not everyone was driving to school though, maybe like only 1/3rd of my classmates drove to school.

>10 things mentioned
>uses 3 of them to make point
Try again

>got my permit when I was 14 and my full license when I was 16
I haven't even been on a city bus or a train before. I'd be lost if I visited Japan.

I love Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift, but the idea of Japanese high schoolers owning cars is the most ridiculous thing in that movie.

No.
NO