Misato

>Misato
Dub: Raspy but cute voice, great at shouting orders, commanding yet with also a sense of vulnerability, decent crying performance, good for comedic lines.
Sub: Basic Japanese female voice, sensitive and yielding.
>Rei
Dub: Amanda Winn Lee can do a higher-pitched breathy voice, but also has a deeper sound from deep in her throat giving her performance more depth and feeling.
Sub: Generic little girl voice #7,623
>Asuka
Dub: Fantastic performance from Tiffany Grant who genuinely loves the character, cartoonish sounding and over-the-top at times, but also expressive and emotive when she needs to be.
Sub: Super high-pitched, shrill, annoying girl voice that does not sound realistic at all and makes your ears bleed.
>Shinji
Dub: Really corny and cartoonish, but gets better over time. About halfway through the show the character has alot of emotive scenes that are at least adequately performed.
Sub: A voice so weak and frail that it sounds feminine most of the time, especially when screaming.
>Ritsuko
Dub: Strong and powerful voice of a smart scientist woman with a successful career in a position of leadership, a bold performance that matches her smart-ass, kinda bitchy personality.
Sub: Soft-spoken and low voice, lacking confidence and pride.
>Gendo
Dub: Cold and distant, but with an intelligent and cunning sound, like he has something to hide.
Sub: Generic deep male voice #5.
For a great comparison of Gendo's voice, compare the sub to the dub of the cemetery scene in episode 15.

Also, ADV got creative with many different vocal effects in some of the more abstract scenes, and it adds alot to the atmosphere of the show. For a great example, compare the scene of Rei's introspection in episode 14; in the dub for that scene they added some effects to her voice that contributes more to the mood of that scene than what they did in the original, which was nothing.

When I first watched eva about three years ago, I decided to go with the dub because I assumed that was how most fans watched it when they were kids, and I wanted to share in that experience. I liked it, it wasn't perfect, but it got the job done and allowed me to like the characters. Then I watched the original audio, and to my surprise I was greatly disappointed.

The dub still sucked
/thread

>dubfags

The dub isn't bad but your opinion is terrible.

I can't stand dubs typically. Japanese voice acting is superior imo. If you had watched the original first, you'd probably feel the same.

*Bologna*

Americans are so damn obnoxious

Forgive me for poor grammar. I’ve been starting to watch this and I really like it (only anime I’ve watched was Pokémon Indigo League when I was a kid). I’ve heard the director’s cut of certain episodes is better, does it matter? I’d really like to see it if it’s free online (I use otakustream and kissanime as a backup). Been watching the sub since that was the majority of what people said was better, but now I really wanna watch the dub. Any other tips for watching this? What order should I watch the movies? Thank you

>Dub: I know the voice actress name, and I'll explain in detail why I like it.
>Sub: It's bad because it's generic, don't need more that 10 words to justify it.

What compelling arguments, this doesn't feel cherrypicked at all.

>Dub: Detailed description of various aspects of the voice
>Sub: Random vague buzzword descriptor #326
This sure seems like a fair and unbiased analysis.

Just block the whole American continent.
Get away from both the DBspics and retards amerifats.

Aren't the servers in America?

Never mind I looked up the dub and it’s fucking unwatchable your opinion is trash.

I regret to inform you that the seppos are at it again

>Dub: Fantastic performance from Tiffany Grant who genuinely loves the character, cartoonish sounding and over-the-top at times, but also expressive and emotive when she needs to be.
>Sub: Super high-pitched, shrill, annoying girl voice that does not sound realistic at all and makes your ears bleed.

And you're a faggot because Tiffany Grant and Yuuko Miaymura are really good friends who respect each others work on the project. There is no need to be divisive when the actresses themselves aren't.

Can't we all get along Eva-bros?

This is literally the only series where I prefer the dubs to the subs, but that doesn't mean that the Japanese VAs did a bad job. They're both pretty great in my eyes.

What's wrong with liking both?

this
but the dub only really works for lighthearted moments, it starts crumbling as soon as shit gets real and emotions or urgency need to be conveyed.

>How dare you have an opinion that isn't mine!