Is Violet Evergarden visual direction AOTS?

Is Violet Evergarden visual direction AOTS?

Other urls found in this thread:

shirooo305.hatenablog.com/entry/2018/01/18/232054
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise-en-scène
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It is. But no one wants to admit it because it gives fuel for those that like Kyoani.

Yeah probably but the filter is a bit overboard. Looks decent indoors but sometimes I get sick when characters are outside in daylight.

Actually I take it back. The sunsets are worse. Looks like bright orange piss. Still really enjoying the show so far though.

No.

Not an argument.

Yeah, but who cares if the show itself is so uninteresting. You can't win with visuals alone.

Neither are your shitty collages.

>lets reduce image quality to aids to show how good this show looks
genius

Episode 3 was interesting.

Blame it on the 4mb limit.

No, these are just pretty pictures, the "direction" is sub par at best, these images are vapid and substancless thanks to the context of this show.
You want visual direction? Something like franxx is leagues and bounds beyond this static garbage.
Prettiest show this year? Not even, Koi wa amaegari is prettier.

Visual direction, huh?

>Franxx blatant and lazy metaphors
>good visual direction

No. Evergarden's episode 2 had more nuansed visual direction than any other anime this season.

shirooo305.hatenablog.com/entry/2018/01/18/232054

Fixed

Kyoani's visual 'direction' as in framing and shots is not great and has been basically unimproved for years. They make up for it with extremely high budget animation and now this dumb as hell filter.They're so over-reliant on using the same classic kyoanis shots, especially with focus on eyes because they make them look pretty. Also they learned how to pan instead of just zoom which is cool i guess.

See

There is no point in posting this because casual people don't understand the nuances they are trying to incorporate in the show.

Sample is this guy. He just spurts out the most basic "criticism" he can think of and actually does not look beyond any more than that.

Also when you tell him to actually look, he will say "there is no point".

It's an example of a shallow show with a huge production budget. Sure, it looks nice, but all this beauty is wasted.

The fact that you thought I was referring to sex positions as visual metaphors just shows how retarded you really are.

The show just has amazing visual direction overall, especially when conveying emotion or setting the ambiance for a scene.

Why do you people always post still images? Animation is supposed to be animated so at least post some webms.

Pic unrelated?

Looks like the average tv anime, except more polished. The framing, composition, use of colors, none of it is exceptional.

Also fixed

Animation is still under art theory. So, posting still shots when you discuss about composition, tone , and color usage is valid.

The fact that you need to compare it to something like eva, only speaks to hows undeniable strong it's presentation is, and if i'm being honest it's a lot stronger here.

Pic very related, that's a great a shot.

I like this show but none of those shots particularly well composed. The only one I wouldhave included is third row fourth column.

lad, people compare it to Eva because it has referenced it several times already. It has nothing to do with its own merits

Too add, damn do they know how to set the tone, these visuals are unmatched, but it's the directing that really put this show it its own tier.

Not when you want to talk about direction in a film. The direction of a scene is much more than just how pretty a frame is, it's also about how the motion conveys the story. You might as well just string a few paintings together for a movie in that case.
VEG honestly hasn't even come close to its own teaser trailers in that regard yet.

it was toned down this episode which was a relief!
Still there, but not eye cancer levels like 1 and 2

Holyshit, this shot reminded me of Garden of Words.

That user was comparing it to eva purely on it's visual direction, nothing to do with references to the show itself, his saying eva had better visual direction this early.

I don't know if you're being ironic or not.

This shot doesn't make sense, Naomi was scolding him and he's the one who's towering over her, and it's not like he had the moral high-ground or wasn't hit by Naomi's words since in the end he decided to stay. You complain about Violet having just pretty pictures but the example you showed contradicts your words, the context of the scene and visual direction aren't matching in that particular shot.

How does Sup Forums do it? Even with all it's flaws it still manages to maintain a level of quality far above the other media boards.

Maybe you're actually retarded, he isn't towering over her, if so it's be from her perspective.

Instead the viewer is close to hiro and she is set far away despite being right next to him, her face covered by the shadow she can't even look at him while she tells him how she really feels.

This shot is tense and this angle helps signify the distance between these two, it also lets us know it's a helpless situation and she's too far away from to just grab and fix things.

Oh nice. Thanks for the weekly collage, got the webm?

He's not towering over her. They're both standing on the precipice, under the shadow of that platform. The angle is from below. Naomi's face is darkened. They are at loggerheads.

Basically, the framing went over your head.

>匿名達が日本語を読められる
Just post sakugabooru idiot.

You need to study more cinematography. That composition makes Hiro look imposing, something he definitely is not

>This shot is tense and this angle helps signify the distance between these two
No, the angle tells us something completely different.

Oh my god, I know he isn't physically towering over her, are you two really that dense? I'm talking about the framing, he's big, she's small, it doesn't make sense during that context.

EP3 webm collage WHERE

>he's big, she's small
That doesn't mean he's towering over her you cretin. He appears bigger because he's closer to the "camera". Hiro is not portrayed as standing above Naomi, or dominating her visual space. Plus, like I said, it's framed from a low angle. Those kinds of shots are made from a high angle, making one character appear as if they're covering the other.

That framing establishes conflict and a lack of dialogue. Neither character understands each other. It has absolutely nothing to do with domination.

One of my ram is failing, I can't open premiere without my PC getting bsod, too lazy to see which right now.

>Those kinds of shots are made from a high angle
Not necessarily though, here's an example from a low angle. Usually, when it's done from a high angle it is from the perspective of the dominant character, while when it is done from a low angle it is from the perspective of the character being dominated.
The classical example is the throne room scene with the king on his chair and some vassal kneeling in front of it.

Naomi is not bowing towards Hiro. She is bowing in the direction of the plantation vessel, because she is ashamed that she has to leave.

Yeah, though there's no competition this season.

You're very stupid. Framing your characters like that very much establishes domination from one to the other.

>He appears bigger because he's closer to the "camera"
And the fact that he's bigger signifies something, something that isn't there when you know the context of the scene and their conversation. Do you even know what visual direction means?

>Hiro is not portrayed as standing above Naomi
I think you're blind

>The framing establishes conflict
No, the framing establishes dominance.

>Framing your characters like that very much establishes domination from one to the other.
Wrong. Stop posting, cretin. You misread the scene/framing.

Learn some visual direction before ever posting in one of these threads and calling Kyoani shit "just pretty pictures"

> the fact that he's bigger signifies something
That he is in a better position than her. It has nothing to do with Hiro dominating Naomi. You're clutching at straws at this point. You ignore everything else in the scene besides the "he looks bigger" thing.

Either follow your own advice or fuck off. You don't know what you're talking about.

Kyoani is just pretty pictures

You're not even trying at this point.

You got BTFO. Accept it and move on.

Who do you think will make the best VEG episode?

Takemoto = Funniest episode
Yamada = Best characterization episode
Fujita = Best use of mise-en-scene techniques, as we've seen in episode 2

Also Kigami = Wildest character animation episode

Wow, a bunch of redrawn photos, how amazing

And Ishidate?

Knowing Yamada she'd take the Violet's past arc or the finale.

>Fujita = Best use of mise-en-scene techniques, as we've seen in episode 2
Hilariously untrue.

Say that again to her face

Hello Fujita: the storyboarding in episode 2 was garbage.

What is mise-en-scene?

Blame Erika, she sucks.

Everything that has to do with cinematography as well as character acting and props/costumes

Using the environment of the characters to convey information about the narrative. A typical example is using the way a character's room looks as a way to show what kind of person they are.

>Everything that has to do with cinematography
No. For fuck's sake why are you still posting? You're clearly out of your element here.

Forgot to say, used in a meaningful way within the context of a scene, like or

No, you need to study cinematography, it'd be imposing if hiro was huge from naomis position, he only looks big because the viewer is set right next to him, and so naomi is presented as distant, from the viewer and hiro, which represents the narrative here.

This is a good place to start: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise-en-scène

>lily design
>rin disability
What unholy union is this?

I liked this episode. Finally some development for Violet, but it didn't went overboard. Just very shortly, but accuractly conveyed the feelings of to girl to her brother.

Yes? Lighting and the blockout of the elements within the frame (composition) are part of the mise-en-scene. Just stop posting, retard.

>Finally some development for Violet,
Regurgitating a line she heard earlier is development now?

This shot and the one from franxx are absolutely nothing a like.

In this shot the boys face is the only thing the viewer can recognize, it immediately draws you into him being under this imposing figure.

The shot in franxx completely cuts hiros face out of the shot, all we have is his shocked body language, and naomis looming face covered in shadow, often used to hide a distasteful facial expression as a reaction to hiro.

YOU HAVE AUTISM.

It's not bad, but Koi wa Ameagari exist in the same season, so no.

Hi brainlet.

Hi ESLN-kun. You should stop calling people brainlets. You're the biggest brainlet around.

Keep trying, I'm sure there are idiots out there who think you're right.

You're literally the only one here who thinks you have a point you ESL retard.
Refer back to

Obsessed as fuck, holy shit.

I want to know more. Which Violet episode had the best storyboard/direction?

It's no use, you're wrong and too stubborn to admit it.
Lets not pretend that this was one shot of a scene, in which it's established to the viewer that hiros is guilty, and she's currently scolding him, but w.e you're austistic, there's literally nothing left to say.

Ignore him. He got exposed as a crossboarder yesterday.

>Lighting and the blockout of the elements within the frame (composition) are part of the mise-en-scene.
Only insofar as they are used to show the relationship of a character with its environment (environment broadly construed). There are elements of mise-en-scène and cinematography that have nothing to do with each other. Mise-en-scène is all about those aspects of a film that build up a sense of authenticity in the story. Mise-en-scène is what gives the story its immersive quality.

Franxxfags getting absolutely blown the fuck out in this thread.

franxxfags have been a joke ever since one of them got exposed as a rapist yesterday.

And the cycle of shitposting begins anew.

Someone posted the wiki page that literally states cinematography as being part of mise-en-scène, in the first paragraph no less, yet you still want to be right no matter what. Just let it go Franxfag, we're all anonymous here.

To be fair that thread was amazing. A rapist and an angry virgin.

It actually kind of makes sense that he can't comprehend high tier directing, he thinks something as boringly shot and literal as violet is good, he needs very static and straight forward shots.
Anything above average is quiet literally too much for him to comprehend.

It's sad, but also really fun when you think about it.

Wat? Link?

Eva has the strongets visual direction in all of anime, any comparison to it is a bold statement.

I posted the wiki page you idiot. You obviously can't even read a wiki page. If you did, you'd see that you're not even close to getting it yet.

VEG thread is truly the gate of worst shitpost

True. I have found myself actually lurking in those threads just to find that guy again. That was hilarious.

Are you an ESL or something?

>Mise-en-scène (French pronunciation: [miz.ɑ̃.sɛn] "placing on stage") is an expression used to describe the design aspect of a theatre or film production, which essentially means "visual theme" or "telling a story"—both in visually artful ways through storyboarding, cinematography and stage design, and in poetically artful ways through direction. It is also commonly used to refer to multiple single scenes within the film to represent the film. Mise-en-scène has been called film criticism's "grand undefined term".[1]