Golden Kamuy thread: Chapter 139 out

A new chapter done by EHscan team. ehscans.wordpress.com/2018/01/25/golden-kamuy-chapter-139/

Kiroranke's true goals are finally explicited, Tsukishima and Koito join the party, and Sugimoto has a hard hat Tsurumi style

Nice transition chapter, looking forward to the new island.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people#Meiji_Restoration_and_later
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wait, why did Sugimoto want money again? Some surgery?

will Ogata get what he wants? (death by asirpa)

his bro's wife has bad eyes

so that he can help his waifu with her sight

any poop jokes?

How much was 200 yen worth back then?

>10 year time skip
>Koito is now a charismatic general with his own loyal army of fanboy soldiers desperate for his dick
> he still jacks it to pics of Tsurumi every night

2million yen

google says about 3k

The translator said it's about 2 million yen. About 20k bucks? Maybe the surgeries weren't as outrageously expensive back in 1908.

Is it possible to tone down the gay shit for one thread so we can actually discuss the chapter

20000 bucks

That post does both, buddy.

nevermind, google fucked up

Can't remember if Ogata's expressed himself as much as now, he seems to really look forward to his next encounter with Sugimoto.

>Maybe the surgeries weren't as outrageously expensive back in 1908.
That actually seems really expensive for eye surgery to me.

This page is fucking gold

Do we really need a thread every day for two weeks?

Chapters are getting translated every day now, it's temporary.

If new content gets released every day, why the fuck not.

Does that mean Sugi is out of the gold race and really just relying on Tsurumi to win?

Sugimoto must cover the cost of the passport,s actually traveling to the US with Umeko and so on.
Dunno how expensive eye surgery was back then though. Don't even know what kind of stuff Umeko has.

20k seems enough for that and even if it wasn't, he could've probably asked for ten times as much and still get it, considering how much gold's realyl at stake

>Is it possible to tone down the gay shit for one thread

2/3 of the convicts are out of the way already and we can safely expect at least some of the rest to go down fast once Hijikata and co. find them, so slimming down the number of factions seems plausible. The author said he doesn't plan to drag the manga on for too long.

I'm so glad that Noda made both group realize the current situation without any bullshit like "who is shooter" or "Sugimoto is certainly dead".
Also, Kiroranke's flashbacks when?

Is he the final boss?

Good point, it's really hard to gauge the value of old money. 200 yen doesn't even buy you a subway ticket now in Japan.

he was only in there to help Umeko and later help Asirpa as long he does both he is fine with who gets the gold

There's no way it's not Hijikata

So are all the tattooed skins in circulation among the cast now or are there still some left to find?

Would be fitting since he's also the first guy he fought.
But again the final boss is gonna be a white bear.

No.

He'll probably get killed by the end of this arc. The amount of major deaths has really whittled down ever since 80% of the cast started travelling together

I hope so, because if he dies too early, it'll be such a waste.

see
Anyway, medical procedures in America are ridiculously high compared to most of the rest of the world, 20k would be the price of modern heart surgery here.

There wasn't that much of a major death in the series at all. New characters got introduced just to get killed within 5 chapters all the time.

I'm expecting Shiraishi to act when the right time comes, he ain't a fool to believe what Kiroranke said about Inkarmat.

What level of speedreading do you need to be on to ask this right after a chapter where they talk about there still being multiple dudes to track down?

Ogata is based, he's a grade a asshole but actually likeable. Noda does a great job at ensemble casts, all of the side characters are great in their own way.

He's not charismatic enough to carry that, he's just a piece off shit who betrays everybody.
I hope he dies soon, it's getting kinda old.

No
Sugimoto is

Its weird how we went from Tsurumi being the main villain to Tsurumi being an ally now. Things move so much in this series, I love it.

Also, notable that Wilk said he didnt kill the other 7 ainu so I wonder who did that. He had no reason to lie there.

>but actually likeable.
I get teenage girls liking him because he looks like an edgy pretty boy, but come on.

What happens to Nikaidou now that Tsurumi and Sugimoto are MBFFs

Those darn commies man.

mfw Sugimoto becomes so brain damaged he's a beast in human form and Asirpa mercy kills him.

That's what I was referring to though, it feels weird that there are STILL more left to find after all this. On top of the fake skins floating around too.

I bet Nikaidou has no idea they're working together now.

comunist Sugimoto?

Then eats his brain.

He's got great bants, man. A group full of dopes like Sugimoto (at times) and Shiraishi needs someone who doesn't get carried away like the rest of them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people#Meiji_Restoration_and_later

Is this anime revisionist as expected of anime?

He is really fun when he is being cute with Asirpa or annoying others, but he is still kind of a bitch.

He's the real final boss, he'll keep losing bodyparts until then and become some sort of horrifying inhuman military monster by the end.

no villains, only factions

>Also, notable that Wilk said he didnt kill the other 7 ainu so I wonder who did that. He had no reason to lie there.
That's what I'm wondering, I doubt it's Kiro, since he's pro-Ainu.

Yeah, especially when early on it seemed like some convicts just started killing each other, so you'd assume at least the yakuza or Heimi would have some extra skins with them.

Opioid addiction

You mean like Kiroranke

>MBFF
not
>MBBB

Didn't the author befriend some Ainu to ensure he can make it authentic or something?

Yep, a least it's a good story. The manga still somewhat presents the persecution of Ainus but hasn't shown anything concrete.
kek

It's not acknowledged directly outside of an offhand mention during that arc with whales, but I also don't think Noda wants to dodge the issue altogether, especially since we'll definitely be getting deeper into Ainu issues now

Seems like the story is going to touch on it somewhat considering what Kiroranke was saying to Inkarmat in this chapter

He does mention it briefly in an interview.

Q: The Ainu culture is among the various elements present in Golden Kamuy. Up until now, there were so few manga that portray the Ainu culture. Why did you choose this subject?
Noda: Actually until now there are so few of them. Does it not feel fresh for the readers? I think that since it is a delicate subject, people recoil from it. It brings along dark images of prosecution, discrimination, and such. But I was convinced that if I make an Ainu-themed manga that is cheerful and interesting, it can become popular. Even the Ainu people whom I met to gather data told me, “Please do not portray miserable Ainu people anymore. Please draw strong Ainu people.”

Man I wonder how Ainu people see this series, if at all.

That makes me glad.

There's promo stuff for it at various tourist sites in Hokkaido. I'm sure a lot of them know about it at least.

Seems like they got Ainu native speaker as consultant for the anime

I love the effort they're putting into the anime.
I hope Noda is happy with the end product.

Also from the previously mentioned interview:

Noda: Although it’s a delicate subject, I think any trouble that arises from it is not caused by malice, but because of ignorance. That’s why I make this manga while researching and asking experts as much as possible. In addition, I think it’s okay to draw various Ainu people: strong ones, sly ones. Because they too are human.

Q: How’s the reaction to that?
Noda: I think the Ainu people understand my seriousness about this. I’m glad that I receive a lot of nice responses from the parties concerned with the Ainu.

Someone needs to die soon and I hope it’s him. Adventure manga where the entire cast wind up making it through are boring.

Noda seems like a genuinely great guy

unexpectadly wholesome desu

How long until they catch up to the raws?

Noda makes me feel warm inside. What a bang up guy.

He sounds like a pretty good lad. Bless him

>Inkarmat will be gone for a while
>she never got any fanservice
It's not fair. Noda seems kind of a perv so it's weird that the only (female) tiddies we've seen so far were O-gin's and some random miners'

>tfw too heterosexual to be in the main cast

>never any fanservice
>that bit when she got tied up with rope

I still like Sugimoto/Asirpa/Shiraishi a ton and all but the further I go into this series the more the I end up preferring the other badass ex-soldier/Ainu kid/ally so untrustworthy that they're actually trustworthy in this story.

>Ienaga took a bite of Sugimoto's brain

Top kek.

>eats some of Sugimoto's brain
>is suddenly worried about Asirpa

>Tsukishima joins the party
based

I hope he stays as a main character, I've grown so used to him I can't go back.

wonder if that soldier with the scar on his face will be someone relevant in the future, he's been popping up in the background a few times lately

I hope so, I'm ready for another 7th madman.

Depends on how relevant Usami will be. If he's dead or will just quietly disappear into the background I do expect another rando to get his time to shine for an arc instead.

Nah, I think he's better as a minor character, kust fleshed out enough to be interesting, but not taking too much page space.

you're gonna hate the next 6+ chapters then

Ever since the fight with Japanese Bunny and Clyde I want him to get a little more focus, let's see how he deal with Sugimoto at his side.

Right now I don't see anything interesting about Tsukishima. Maybe Noda wants to make him a Tanigaki bis, but we don't need that.

>a Tanigaki bis
a what?

He's the stoic and tired type that still cares a lot about his fellow soldiers, we don't have that in the crew yet.

I don't mean the personalities, but more the type of character that begins minor and popular but then takes some space begins the author keeps pushing him. Like Tanigaki.

I think that applies to most characters actually. Even Shiraishi was initially supposed to be just a one-off character, but then got popular and is now part of the main trio.

Did he? I didn't know, he looked like a good foil to the pair so I naturally thought he would be part of the crew.

>that mind broken Asirpa.

Too sad. I hope Sugimoto can restore her smile again.

He got his tattoo copied, left for a while then randomly came back, pretty much all the characters except the Sugimoto, Asirpa, Tsurumi and Hijikata came from what were initially minor characters.

What's leaking out of his head. Is that supposed to be blood or brain juice.