Violet Evergarden

Thoughts on episode 3?

I've been pretty disappointed the past two episodes. They weren't terrible per-say, but just really mundane and slow.

This is unlike episode 3. It processes Violet's first step towards understanding emotion, a side story of two side characters, and a theme about language and words in a 20-minute episode quickly in a meaningful manner. I thought it was fantastic and well-done, and if it can continue to do the same vein in future episodes, I would be able to appreciate the show far better.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14921541/r
youtube.com/watch?v=hgUs1RuRsoE
youtube.com/watch?v=tO2QIaNkPeY
youtube.com/watch?v=wMMUWABNQmU
youtube.com/watch?v=A0_5b3CuRHc&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=2aulh16Br9s&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Weren't the first two episodes rush jobs? It should start getting better from here though now that Violet is going to start her job for real.

I really enjoyed episode 3 especially the ending song. I didn't notice it playing during the last scene in episode 2. So when it started playing after the emotional scene in episode 3, I teared up. Didn't know ballads fit Minori Chihara so well.

It could have been good if this was a story about characters we formed an attachment too over the corse of the previous two episodes.

But it feels as if they just through this random girl at us and went right for the sad backstory with dog commercial music in the background. It feels lack luster and melodramatic as a result.

But this is apperently the formalic nature of this show, the typical monster of the week.

I wish this was about violet searching for her master and exploring the setting and allowing her to grow as a character like that. This way we could get so much need world building and change of scenery and an interesting adventure.

Well, at least the anime original content is finally over. We're getting into the actual LN next week.

need

more

spacing

Loved every episode so far. Bought the CD for the opening. Waiting closer to release to get OST.

It would also seem that Sup Forums prefers episode 3 over the other 2 almost unanimously.
strawpoll.me/14921541/r

She basically got her brooch-of-honnor after writing a single letter, for a letter written without the supervision of the teacher, and only through the report of a class friend.

How the fuck is this doll school considered prestigious with such low and lax standards?

She excels in literally everything. She showed improvement in the one thing she was lacking. Even if it's not perfection, I doubt that's the point when you're already perfect at everything else. The rest of the class most likely wasn't that good compared to the better Dolls.

It’s pretty obvious violet was a Mary sue since the trailers, everything is going to work out for her in the end no matter what, just because.

The teacher explained her reasons for graduating Violet, she has what it takes.
The girls that didn't pass must've sucked a lot.

Because by all standards, Violet was the best in the class. Her one simple drawback was that she could not process emotions. It's a teacher wanting the person to pass but unable to do so because the student can't take that one step towards completing the lesson. And let's be honest, would you think a girl like Lucila would lie?

They even said the curriculum wasn't a requirement to be a doll. It was an aptitude test to see how well you can do and test your potential. If you as the teacher see potential within a student, and can encourage the student to pursue a field, why wouldn't you?

The light novel is even worse they sometimes spend and entire page just describing how pretty she is, the writing is very blatantly poor I wouldn’t be surprised if the next episode are worse then this one.

What the fuck is wrong with this girl?

She killed people for a living since she was 10-ish.

She's too cute for this world

She thought it was a mission.

c-cute

>all these old hags

>per-say
really nigga

Give me 6 faggot. Just don't give me 9.

Fuck off.

Nice old hag you got there.

>Her one simple drawback was that she could not process emotions.

Which is the whole point of dolls and the core of their job. Without that, she may be the best military report writer, but as a doll she's useless.
Imagine a programmer who'd type at lightspeed on his keyboard without any typo, know every commands, functions and informatic languages, and overall master all the tools he needs, but can't be arsed to write a fucking line of program. That's pretty much what she is: she has a master knowledge of the tools she needs, know how to use them independantly, but is unable to put it into practice to build a whole thing.

As for the standards of the school... Well...

>user constantly fails at exams during class under the supervision of the teacher
>fails to get his credits
>suddenly, 2 days later after the end of the course, user's best friend barge into the teacher's office and show him a piece of paper
>"look, it's user who did this"
>teacher calls user and says "I know you failed everytimes we had this during my lessons, but your best friend brought me this piece of paper that could totally not be forged and said that's yours, I always knew you could do it. Here's your credits. Good job, user."

Yeah, sure.

rolling for 2

>the writing is very blatantly poor

it's just a light novel, that goes with the medium

Let's see.

And then the programmer writes his first few line of code, that is simple and continues to want to program more. You as a tutor, mind you, not some official college professor, pass him and encourage him to continue his goal seeing his potential.

Problem?

As expected of the fans.

>user constantly fails at exams
It's more like failing a certain set of problems on a math test. You clearly don't get the rest of those same types of problems but everything else is a breeze. You fail it and you come back with some studying, or in this case, having someone you've known for a little bit throw their feelings at you, with some guidance from the teacher.
>which is the whole point of dolls
This is known. The teacher felt she had taken a large step to having understood that. Whereas before she didn't understand at all and wrote more like a report.
>master knowledge
She's good at spelling and grammar. Not forming emotions into her own words.
That's a very shitty analogy because it comes with a pretext that he's a programmer. She is not a Cupid trying to figure out love.

It's the only thing that can keep the thread alive.

>user constantly fails at exams during class under the supervision of the teacher
She didn't. She failed at one thing.
>fails to get his credits
fails to get 3 credits complete out of the 30 he needs, yet was able to get the other 27 credits in perfect/top manner
>suddenly, 2 days later after the end of the course, user's best friend barge into the teacher's office and show him a piece of paper
The person that passed top grades in the school and is known to be trustworthy
>teacher calls user and says "I know you failed everytimes we had this during my lessons, but your best friend brought me this piece of paper that could totally not be forged and said that's yours, I always knew you could do it. Here's your credits. Good job, user."
Again, didn't fail everything, failed one key aspect and has now taken the first step in fixing that aspect, even so far as going to teach you and the top-graded student something new (The example being that sometimes a letter's feelings and intentions can be summed up with a simple sentence rather than a long convoluted wordy essay)

Baioretto-chan!

I get that she was a soldier all her life maybe, but I don't understand why she dresses so fancy.

This. Schools are meant to teach facts, but they are also meant to teach kids how to apply those facts appropriately and work under pressure. In the real world, bosses will be less forgiving of missed deadlines or unreadable code, no matter how high-standard the work produced is.
Needing official certification to get anywhere sucks, but there's a good reason for it.

That's her AMD attire.

But why are there no boys who want to be auto memory dolls?

Claudia thought those clothes would look good on her. And sure enough it did.

This was the best episode so far.

Still needs 30 credits. Teachers do not usually set meaningless requirements.
Coming close to making the grade is not making the grade, no matter how many pity points you have.

>comparing a fantasy AMD training school to a STEM course
Really?
Fucking really?

>can'twakeup.jpg

So says you. When you make your own private school for teaching programming or become a teacher, you can apply your autism strict standards all you want. And you can scoff in your condescending manner at the hundreds of other professors and teachers that pass a student in class if they feel like a student has worked hard and has potential. Doesn't change the fact that they're the one with profession and you aren't.

Damn this cruel, it’s not even shit post any more is detailed and well thoughout criticism and vegfags can’t even defend it.
It’s kind of sad to see this show get torn apart so easily and even sadder to think that this was supposed to be one of the best ever, ends up being one of the worst this season.

Don't be that obvious when you bait.

WEBM WHERE

9 plz

Is it just me or do most of these look like peasant clothing.

chek EM

So, regardless of actual objective standards for being a professor, someone isn't a professor ~where it counts~ if they don't conform to your ideal of how a professor should be?
>hundreds
Oh no, a lot of theoretical people disagree with me, how can I live with myself?
For every person who likes grape juice, there are thousands who hate it. Majority opinion does not matter. Nor does it magically erase other opinions.

Why doesn't she just take her glove off with the other hand

She did that this episode.

>So, regardless of actual objective standards for being a professor, someone isn't a professor ~where it counts~ if they don't conform to your ideal of how a professor should be?
No.

I'm pointing out how you obviously aren't a professor but profess to have some high standard and call out others being ridiculous for not having your strict standards, You know, despite the fact that you aren't a teacher.

If you've ever been in college you would understand that depending on how the professor/teacher is, they can be extremely strict and lax. It is not uncommon for a professor to pass a student, or lower a standard for grading if he/she believes it is fair enough to implement (Or in some cases the professor just really doesn't give a fuck). In the case of this anime, it's clearly the former. I'm just pointing out how funny it is you think that universities are some strict regime that follows protocols thoroughly. You know, ignoring the fact that once again, the school in the show was not an official one and they made it clear YOU DO NOT NEED TO PASS to be an Auto-Doll, it was simply a place for aptitude and testing a person.

>Majority opinion does not matter. Nor does it magically erase other opinions.
Indeed. And it is of my opinion and apparently other people that your particular opinion and problem with this one thing in the show is retarded.

Is this how every arc will end? A single letter isn't enough to change someone like that, the brother will still be a drunk and his depression won't go away so easily. A more bittersweet ending would work better. "And they lived happily ever after" just doesn't work with themes like these.

Apparently this was anime original, please tell me the novels have better writing.

I can't think of a single LN arc that ends like this, they're all either bittersweet or straight up sad. Hell, even the finale starts to look good but then sinks in harsh feelings.
Also the letters are minor details, what gets the focus are the characters and Violet.

LN fag here. I like first two episodes a lot more, but probably because i know the story and first two episodes are a lot more meaningfull for me. 3rd was just an imitaion of novel story format, but weaker - while first two focused on not shown in novel period of Violet and were lot more nuanced.

Episode three did things better than the second, the whole school thing and Violet interacting with Luculia was really good, up to the part in the tower. But I didn't like how over the top the stuff with the brother was, they overdid it trying to get you to feel bad for him, and he barely felt like a real character. They did a great job building Luculia's character and her relationship with Violet, but the weak characterization of her brother and their relationship hurt the climax.

it was much better, and gives me some hope this won't end up a flaming trash heap

I see speedwatchers are "speedreaders" too. Not surprised.

0 is daugther of the Teacher. 4 and 6 and possibly others along with dubs will have one more appearance in story.

>well let's see YOU do better

>but just really mundane and slow.
>a kyoani show
No shit, retard.

OP or ED?
youtube.com/watch?v=hgUs1RuRsoE
youtube.com/watch?v=tO2QIaNkPeY

9 please

ED has better visuals than the OP, but OP has a better song

Neither, first time in Kyoani history I haven't liked either of them

Why?

Still waiting for Violet Snow.
youtube.com/watch?v=wMMUWABNQmU

The visuals are very boring and the songs aren't very memorable, the ED is also sung by that shitty singer with nasal voice, I hate her.

I bet they're saving it for the episodes about her past & the finale.

From what I've seen it isn't very good, and there's sub warfare right now between Netflix's shitty subs and Asenshit's shitty subs, so I'm going to wait for BD and hopefully a different sub group.

That shitty singer with nasal voice is yuki nagato.

I used to work in a hospital. You would be surprised what one sentence does to people.

I enjoyed it. I liked Freckles as a character and how she helped Violet begin to understand humon feelings like empathy and love.

is this all men think about? fucking women?

A bit dissappointed, someone said in a previous thread that pic related would be in this episode.

Don't give him yous

There are, but are minority. It is mostly women working as AMDs in hope to snap a rich husband. Though proper AMD work is not for office flower fragile beuties - they are essentially travelling gypsies, going wherever client requires and travelling huge distances and dangers. The ones working in the office in the city serving clients are the low rank ones. The prominent ones are always on a road.

Yes.
Unless it's a one-of-a-kind woman, of course.

Next episode is finally going start the LN and it's going to be about the guy staring at her during that dance. So who knows.

This isn't going to be in any of the show, it was made specifically for the promotional material.

They finally made an episode that wasn't horse shit and it's making people wet.

Well duh.

Not him, but i`ll be making the cropping the webms for the animation compilation of episode tomorrow and post webm's as usual.

youtube.com/watch?v=A0_5b3CuRHc&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=2aulh16Br9s&feature=youtu.be

Though episode three seems shorter on standing out animation than the first two. A lot of great scenery and detailed character shots - but not really as many notable animation sequences. EP1 had the most, while EP2 had the best character and mechanical animation so far.

There hasn't been a bad episode yet.

The music is terrible. Put a cover for the OST or something.

I dont remember a single time when a "single letter" was involved in VEG story.

Chapter 1: no letters, just typewriting
Chapter 2: 20 or 30 letters over span of 20 or 30 years
Chapter 3: One letter post mortem.
Chapter 4: No letters, just copying books
Chapter 5:Letter to God
etc.

Violet probably doesn't care about what she wearing. Actually I'm kind of sad that we don't hear violet inner thoughts.

What makes you think she has inner thoughts? It's probably just background noise.

She voices them on particular occasions. Also its not that she competely does not care, it is just attaches very little value ranking to that. She would care for an item since it is given to her by friend, as well since she was complimented for that. It is just will not hesitate to shred it to pieces to make bandages out of it if needed.