I'll start.

Pic related and a time before Crunchyroll/Horriblesubs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-Et4vu4lpPI
dailymotion.com/video/x2xsbej
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You have watched 72 minutes of megavideo

megaupload

Not being able to find part 2 of 3 of an anime episode.
God. Every. Fucking. Time.

Shitty file lockers are still around if you download manga and voice works. Stone age feeling when you have to hunt for premium link generator

.rmvb

Realplayer

quicktime

I miss webrings, shrines, and personal websites in general.

damn, thats way more than my local stocks. I'm jelly

Audio desync while streaming. But because of you had to put up with it because refreshing is a risk.

Downloading anime at a snails pace only to find out a day after it’s just a tentacle hentai ova.

I remember my local Suncoast Video had a ton of shit. One time I found Kite at a Bloackbuster back in 2000. Too bad it wasn't the unrated version.

I unironically miss this

F

>starting the download of an episode before going to bed and praying the internet stays up until it finishes the next morning

I don't miss downloading episodes at 56k, although it worked. Still better than streaming.

This is probably the biggest "kids these days, they don't know man" ever but today's and future fans will never know what the original, weekday afternoon Toonami experience was like

youtube.com/watch?v=-Et4vu4lpPI

>want to listen to anime music
>download .mid file
>if you're lucky, find a crap quality .wav file
I remember when mp3's first started to become a thing, and I worried if downloading one would wreck my computer because of the file size.

I still have to do this with my satellite internet.
Living in bum fuck nowhere sucks.

I'm going to cry the day a kid asks me this.

this was some good shit, the early 2000s were great

Oh shit.

Karaoke fansubs in the OP. I guarantee there are legit people out there where if you tried to explain how fansub groups would make the entire OP with English, Japanese and romaji lyrics and would usually add visual effects to them, they wouldn't believe it

>feel like rewatching cowboy bebop but don't have a copy anymore
>visit parents and remember
>ask them if they have a copy
>dad rummages through boxes of old movies before pulling it out
>laserdisc, dual language, mono audio (L is English, R is Japanese)
>have to reconfigure my speakers to only use one output
Was a pretty fun trip through memory lane
A week later he called me up to say that he found the betamax version and we had a laugh

I can't remember which fansub group went all out with the Code Geass OP's "everything is BRIGHT" part. But that always stuck with me.
I also miss the random fansubber notes at the end of OP/ED/eyecatch. Iirc at least the old Higurashi and TTGL subs had those. And SZS had huge infodumps explaining all the name puns at the end of every episode. You can hardly find that kind of dedication from anime fans these days.

Pretty sure that was gg

You traded passion for speed.
Why even try if the faster sub gets all te clicks?

Most of the oldfag series from turn of the millennium and the Tokyopop days. Maybe even a little later since there are probably newer anime fans that only vaguely know about things like Haruhi. They sure as shit don't have the ancientfag experience either of yellow subs, Studio Proteus, etc.

I miss Karaoke, now you just get shitty localization subs.

The loss of GeoCity and AngelFire was pretty big in hindsight. Stuff like Live journal and Blogspot didn't match up and let too much filth rise to the surface.

>that only vaguely know about things like Haruhi
Back in the day I had "The Evangelion limit" which I considered that most new anime fans at the time most likely had middling to little or no knowledge of anime before 1995 (unless it was like Dragon Ball or something).

These days, I have "The Haruhi limit" which is the same except with Haruhi and 2006 and unless it was super popular like, ironically, Eva or something. Kids these days just do not understand how much of a monster Haruhi was

Also Showtime Beyond

AVI files with hardsubs. And that was in the early/mid 00s and I've seen people talking about older stuff. Like that guy with the EoE video with 16 kbps audio and 320p.

Also reading American Shonen Jump from the start

Holy shit I remember this. Remember watching Fist of the North Star, the Tokyo Babylon OVA, and the Baki the Grappler OVA on it.

I also remember MTV (or MTV2) had some anime airing on it. Specifically I remember watching Heat Guy J on it.

>subbing DYRL
>get it going and pop out for lunch
>fellow A/V club member thinks it would be funny to turn the color and contrast to max just when Ai Oboete Imasu ka starts
>now Minmei has WRATH OF GOD-intensity subs

I made several fansites back when everybody was doing it, and I always wanted to revisit them later. But the links are all dead. Not even the wayback machine could find them.

>AVI files with hardsubs
The nightmares haunt me sometimes

Im pretty sure this is batoto's predecessor. At the very least this site is big in my shithole

Now THIS I remember using in high school.

Floppy discs full of DB sprite rips.

I think a lot of the older series that are still remembered fall into two categories: pop culture icons or memes. Stuff like Dragon Ball and maybe even things like Ranma and Urusei Yatsura fall into that category. Stuff that's the building blocks of western anime fandom.

Memes is a little bit harder I guess. The one anime that comes to mind for being that is Initial D; most people nowadays who know if it probably only know about it because of le ebin eurobeat meme; I'm not going to pretend I have experience with Initial D beyond the arcade games from like 10-12 years ago since racing anime/manga didn't seem like my thing back in my early high school days when the boom was starting.

Honestly I'm probably overstating my oldfagness a bit because I largely am familiar with what was being played on Toonami or the movie channels like Showtime at the time or things that Tokyopop was publishing. I still have never gone back and watched Nadesico for instance despite how big that was in the western fandom.

Most of that stuff is forgotten nowadays. Love Hina was fucking huge (both here and in Japland) and is probably one of the most influential series of the last 20 years... and how many newer fans have any level of experience with it?

Everything is bright!

I needed hardsubs because my fucking computer couldn't handle softsubs the subs would get desynched.

Your're old enough to have subbed shit like DYRL? Please impart some ancientfag stories on us grandpa.

Nobody knows Initial D, I don't even think they know the plot, just the Eurobeat song. I don't even think they know the actual meme associated with Initial D was it's shitty CGI cars, that actually got parodied a lot in anime.

>Love Hina
Ugh. I don't like Love Hina but I know that was fuckhuge. So was Tenchi Muyo

I miss those special effects for some words/attacks in Shounen anime.

>Kids these days just do not understand how much of a monster Haruhi was

I'm still wating for something that is at least half as big as Haruhi was. I would guess Lucky Star, but is from the same time period.

Tokufag here. If you ever decide to hate yourself then go watch a show subbed by TV-N. You'll soon realise that subtitle special effects for attacks are terrible.

Back then it was normal to have romaji, japanese and translated lyrics at once.

I liked them when I was like 14-17. Now, not so much

UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Having to wait a week for subs.

Love Hina aged poorly in the sense that it doesn't offer anything that newer series don't have. There are several harem shows coming out every season, and even though the LH characters were pretty lovable they're not THAT special. You can find similar character archetypes from tons of different shows.

That was mtv2 that played heat guy j in a last ditch effort by the mtv brand to play animation before they went away completely. Shows like spiderman and clone high got cancelled and mtv wanted to cash in on the anime boom and fill up spots that used to play american cartoons. In went heat guy j, which only made it 13 episodes it got removed.

Lucky Star had the attention but none of the longevity or cultural signficance (it was definitely the closest but it died off in relevance when newer stuff like K-On came around).

I'd say maybe SAO since Haruhi changed the way people made LNs, SAO opened the world to the idea of isekais and we can't deny it's popularity and longevity at this point. I don't like admitting this though because I'm not a fan of SAO at all

I know it was normal. I'm saying, it's such a dead practice that new fans probably would think it's ridiculous that EVERY fansub group used to do this.

>SAO
>isekai
REEE. We were having a good thread until you showed up.

>REEE
No, user, we were having a good thread until YOU showed up.

>I'd say maybe SAO

The thing with SAO is that it became the "new gateway to anime" like Naruto did in back the day, by pandering to a new more tech oriented generation , and it did it well despise all the hate it gets.

>This is a free fansub, if you paid for this, you got ripped off

Being a weeb in the late 00's was the shit, really. No season or year has come this decade that could compare, not community-wise nor in the amount of quality anime. Last year was especially disappointing.

>Defending a SAO = isekai shitter

Those two and Maison Ikkoku are basically the holy trinity of harem in terms of their influence and most modern fans likely don't have any experience with them.

>SAO opened the world to the idea of isekais

Other human beans

t. Miyazaki

ICONIC
C
O
N
I
C

Well user, I certanly did enjoy being a weeb in those times, I was young and seeing shit like Haruhi and LS for the first time as it aired in nip land was fucking awesome. But consider the following, newer generations will look back to these days and say the same shit we are saying, because nostalgia will always be a factor when remembering the good ol'days.

Once upon a time, this used to be THE biggest thing among female fans.

Why was it so full of traps? Even the head of the family was one.

I remember the dorky girls in highschool always toted around a copy of this. And at lunch they would practice drawing from those how to draw anime books. To think most of them an deviant artists and still can't fucking draw.

I don't think the kiddies today know about IRC. Also along with the "this is a free fansub" thing and Karaoke fansubs, it was common to advertise the fansub group in the opening titles along with the IRC domain for it

Right but it's one of those series that I think is important and should be considered required viewing for any anime fan. It's like with wrestling: sure there's all kinds of flippy shit nowadays but any wrestling fan is still likely to go back and watch Tiger Mask vs. Dynamite Kid matches or old mid-'90s Rey Mysterio stuff because it's all very important as building blocks to the modern style.

Not QUITE the same becaus eof the large variety of anime but if you, say, watch haremshit then stuff like that is basically essentially viewing (or reading really considering how shit the anime is in comparison). If you like SoL then you basically have to watch AzuDai. Stuff like that.

Is SAO still popular at all? I haven't heard anything about it at all in a few years. It seems like it's in the same camp as things like Lucky Star or FMA: popular at its time and kind of tossed by the wayside once it ended. Naruto is basically the newfag version of DBZ so it's going to go down as iconic but I don't think SAO will ever reach that point. I think it'll be in the category that something like Slayers is for oldfags: a gateway or one of the things you watch as you get in but it won't quite have the staying power to allow it to transcend generations (and yes, I'm aware SAO has nothing at all on Slayers).

I remember thinking how messed up it was that everybody in this manga got hooked up except two, the ones pining for the main female and male lead

Girls like traps more than you think

>back then girls watched reverse harems and mahou shoujo
>now girls watch yaoi and sports shounen
I recall Fruits Basket being generally liked by everyone though, not just by girls. Same thing with Ouran. We watched both series at the local anime club and nobody had any complaints.

Maybe female fans would still watch them if modern Mahou Shoujo weren't trashy otaku bait.

>I recall Fruits Basket being generally liked by everyone though, not just by girls.
It was. I was just noting it was REALLY popular among girls. You know, now that I think about it, the anime never finished the manga as an adaptaiton. Might be a good time to bring that back.

Ouran transcended genders.

Fruits Basket is for oldfags, middlefags have Ouran, don't know what the equivalent will be for newfags. I guess Yuri on Ice considering things have shifted away from female-centric shoujo romance to fujoshit.

I want to believe that the new Precure seasons are popular among kids and not just NEET neckbeards.

Yeah, the problem with mahou shoujo is that they kind of lost the "shoujo" part and exclusively are made for preschoolers and/or otaku now

Most reverse harems are garbage otome mobage and mahou shoujo is otaku/waifubait. It's no surprise that girls would lose interest and switch to other genres.

I don't like the idea of calling that aging poorly because to me that implies it was a fault of Love Hina, when it's actually that Love Hina was so damn successful that everything original it did has been copied to death and back. Instead I would say something like Air Gear aged poorly, because rollerblades just aren't cool anymore and the show kind of needed them to be.

Does anyone remember Geneon?

The initial Code Geass run and it's effect on Sup Forums as well as the anime community as a whole really. New kids and posters will NOT know what the anime was like for the anime side of the Internet and how it defined Sup Forums.

See, what's going to happen with R3 will be a desparate attempt to recreate "the glory days" but deep down, it's not going to be the same

I never really got into Love Hina.

Tenchi Muyo though, now THAT I could understand why it was popular. Kiddies these days just don't understand

SAO and KLK I think fit your description.

>KLK
>Literally Kamen Rider OOO: The Anime

Okay first of all, I don't hate KLK. I thought it was fine.

But nigga, are you serious? KLK has absolutely no longevity or cultural significance at all. I'll admit it lasted longer than I thought but these days everybodyforgot about that shit. It didn't affect anything or have the kind of fanbase that is remembered for years. It was just another one and done 2 cour show with a lot more hype than expected.

How dare you compare that to the absolute monster that was Haruhiism, get outta here. I mean it don't even think it can compare with TTGL back in it's heyday

OP posted 90s shit this thread is now more 00s crap

Catalog destroyed that kind of Sup Forums culture. Before it was so hard to make threads and new threads would be spammed and you needed to use noko to stay on your thread. Sunday? Sunday is Code Geass day and the whole front page is nothing but Code Geass.

It was beautiful though, all of Sup Forums was beautiful then.

>I remember thinking how messed up it was that everybody in this manga got hooked up except two, the ones pining for the main female and male lead

No, Momiji kinda liked Tohru but I wouldn't say he was "pining"

Fucking this. The anime community is so fucking different now but I can’t quite explain how. Maybe its that its too self aware and mocking of itself, but that doesn’t really explain it perfectly either.

>this thread is now more 00s crap
Well we're still in the pre-2007 range which is a decade ago. That's an entire generation of anime fans so some of this stuff is pretty old. Hell, the karaoke thing mentioned only fell out of fashion like maybe half a decade ago.

Though here's another one I'll add. Remember when this was babby's first horror for a long ass time and the anime of Sup Forums's bane but nobody even thinks about it today

Your Dad is legit and alright

I think if anything Sup Forums lost some self-awareness. Its kinda come back, but during the mid 10s Sup Forums took itself incredibly seriously and I'd say that is still present today. See how the self-aware "tsundere" relationship Sup Forums had with Sup Forums changed into some kind of serious hate as newcomers inherited the culture without really understanding it. And then it kinda disappeared altogether.

Mid-late 00s Sup Forums was almost always kinda tongue in cheek and knowing they were shitheads. It helped that moderation was a lot more lax.

KLK put Studio Trigger on the map, brought anime into the news, dragged hordes of casuals down the rabbit hole, and showed that non-moeshit/SoL shows could still be viable. Its impact was tremendous. I'd even say its release demarcates the point at which anime started to become a mass medium in the Anglosphere.

Getting random episodes from a DC++ hub at 10kB/s, writing them on CDs because your HDD was way too small.
Everyone talking about this: dailymotion.com/video/x2xsbej
Staying up late to watch Iria and Tenchi Muyo on AB1.
Your parents saying Saint Seiya was too violent for you.

>KLK put Studio Trigger on the map
Studio Trigger was already on the map because it was full of ex-Gainax. It's not like they were some unknown thing that popped out of nowhere. There was hype for them from the beginning

>dragged hordes of casuals down the rabbit hole, and showed that non-moeshit/SoL shows could still be viable.
No, I'm pretty sure Attack on Titan did that better than KLK

I remember feeling hardcore for watching a show full of tits and gore at the age of 13. I guess that's why MiA is such a hit right now.

Yeah I know I'm not complaining I just think its funny we are on 00s stuff. I was an anime fan in the 90s but outside of Anime Turnpike, webrings, tons of personal fanpages, "lemon" Ranma/tenchi fanfics and buying subbed VHS at the mall can't remember too much because I was a kid.