People actually miss the days of fansubs

>People actually miss the days of fansubs

Say what you will about Crunchyshit and all the other professional subbers, they at least come out on the same day as the broadcast and of passable quality 90% of the time, despite bullshit typesetting and localization.

Fansubs where more often then not a clusterfuck of delays, varying quality and other weirdness

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.si/view/402344
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you're right.
I just wish commie would've died along with them.

I don't understand this picture

I've been told that the start of all that left some bad blood that wasn't all simple pettiness.
They also want me to pay for 4 different services, but fuck that
Commie did symphogear recently so I don't mind

>Implying fansub weren't put on the same day for most show and didn't usually have passable plus quality

>4 different services

What four are you talking about?

>Implying fansub weren't put on the same day for most show and didn't usually have passable plus quality

I'll fucking say it: no they weren't and no it wasn't. Speed subbers did exist, but only for the most popular / high demand shows, and certainly not for the sheer volume of stuff you can get now. And if you think their quality was half as good as what we're getting now, you're not remembering shit right.

By the very end of the fansubbing era that was true for a few select shows. Then those fansubbers got hired by CR

Most fansubs were bad and I sure as hell don't miss them. (Good riddance to groups like Ayako and Hadena.) I miss the good ones.

>they at least come out on the same day as the broadcast and of passable quality 90% of the time, despite bullshit typesetting and localization.
This sentence includes four separate statements about prosubs and there isn't a single prosubbing service where all four apply simultaneously.

>same day as broadcast
Amazon was responsible for a fair number of sub delays recently and Aniplex doesn't have a stellar record of delivering subs on time either.

>passable quality 90% of the time
Only for Crunchyroll and Amazon, and that's for the shows they subtitle themselves. They also stream subtitles from Aniplex, Funimation, Sentai, etc. which are more like 90% terrible.

>bullshit typesetting
I'll give you this one.

>localization
For better or for worse, these days prosubbers lean towards literal translations with honorifics and nonsensically translated phrases. Translations with proper localisation seem jarring these days, but only because the Overton window has long since shifted.

Crunchroll and Funi are the bigger 2 but Netflix and Amazon actually had a show or two i wanted in the past few seasons

>Only for Crunchyroll and Amazon, and that's for the shows they subtitle themselves.

Crunchyroll has been hit or miss recently. It goes beyond just localizing and actually into fucking up so badly that at times what the subs says basically means the opposite of what the character says.

t. butthurt commie staff

fucking hilarious. truly the pinnacle of western comedy.

Fansubs actually gave you options to choose from.
now you're stuck with crunchy garbage 90% of the time.
The only good subs are those ripped from goyflix.

Don't forget the ransoms. "I'm not releasing the next episode till we get more donations".

Fansub days were great, half the series wouldn't get subbed and you would have a excuse to not watch everything.

I sort of agree.

But I gotta admit...I miss coalguys

>The only good subs are those ripped from goyflix.
Hah. No.

This show was so awful it was lucky to get subs at all.

>For better or for worse, these days prosubbers lean towards literal translations with honorifics and nonsensically translated phrases.

Fansubbers ranged from weeaboo bullshit to localizing that became troll subs. The thing is, there is always going to be some kind of localizing in translation. The very nature of translating means that something will get localized eventually.

CR and FUNi are no longer competing for seasonal shows. They basically share them now, with CR doing subs only and FUNi doing dubs only. There's still some unique stuff in each inventory, but that's growing smaller and smaller each week. Amazon Strike was shut down, so now if you have a Prime account already you can watch their anime (but the assholes added a commercial, usually for Grand Tour, at the start). Netflix maintains their obnoxious "binge watch" style which prevents watching weekly episodes, so fuck those guys.

i can never get enough of these

I just watched the first episode of Windy Tales an hour ago and the subs are pathetically bad. CR averages about one mind-numbingly stupid TL error per episode, this one had about one every minute. I'm also watching Utena and the subs I have for that aren't so great either, not sure if they're fan or official.

>Windy Tales

Is not in CR's library.

>fansub weren't put on the same day for most show
They weren't.

I know, sorry if it wasn't clear, I was comparing it to CR because it's a fansub.

Honestly what I really miss about the fansubs are the cool stuff they did with the text.
Last time I enjoyed myself so much with that was UTW Kill La Kill. Commie's Jojo was also pretty great with that. I wish crunchy didn't Jojo just because of their boring subs.

>these days prosubbers lean towards literal translations with honorifics
Not OP, but I feel like I've seen a whole lot of prosubs recently that seem to avoid honorifics at all costs, like that ridiculous "Mr. T" bullshit in Demi-chan.

Who fansubbed your copy? Because Sentai Filmworks put out the domestic release of Windy Tales, so it might be theirs.

I just picked up this one nyaa.si/view/402344

>Don't forget the ransoms. "I'm not releasing the next episode till we get more donations".
Hey, want to have some angry memories? Nanashi.

I don't think anyone can reasonably argue the speed and quality we have now is much better but I do miss some aspects of those days. There was a better community surrounding the releases and anticipation just because the relative difficulty of getting and watching the episodes was higher than it is now.

Following groups is something you rarely get now too. I can remember downloading shows I cared nothing about just because a group I respected took the time to sub it and I felt like that alone was a good enough sign that I should try it.

I miss the fansub drama and bullshit.

I don't watch that much anime anymore.

>Following groups is something you rarely get now too. I can remember downloading shows I cared nothing about just because a group I respected took the time to sub it and I felt like that alone was a good enough sign that I should try it.
We still have scanlations for that kind of feeling, I guess, but the problem there is that they're even less consistent than fansubs were.

There is still a fansub bullshit that a group picked up a series but dropped it after a few episodes for whatever reason or never finished the series even after a few season have passed but still saying it isn't dropped.

>Bullshit typesetting
That can be the best part sometimes, though.

>fansub thread with no oldfags reminding everyone of the days when you had to mail out VHSs for subs

Unironically the dub was the best and made the show good.

i love Kamichu

I didn't want to make myself depressed.

Ayako was fine, what are you bitching about?

>This body is exactly that of Venus!
This is such awkward phrasing. Would it have been so hard to write it as
>She has a body like Venus

Thats why I only watch anime in japanese or spanish

>I bought KFC
My fucking sides.

Something wrong with your fries?

>2018
>still shitting on a fansub scene that's been dead for years

Having a laugh at some of the fumblesubs that came out in the past I understand, but the hate threads like this are pure Sup Forums. People who don't speak a word of Japanese express disdain for other people's volunteer work without which they would have gotten nothing. And if fansubbers had had access to the video source and a script or closed captions handed to them in advance every week for every show, guess what, things would have been a lot more timely back in the day, too.