Why do so many Anime and Manga insist on portraying the Yakuza as honorable people that don't hurt innocents and...

Why do so many Anime and Manga insist on portraying the Yakuza as honorable people that don't hurt innocents and protect peope?
They're fucking criminals, murderers, drug-dealers and human traffickers. They'll put up a public facade for PR purposes but they're still criminals that make society worse.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SIsndKkasfI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta#Prosecution
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This made me even more happy that Chisaki got btfo

Dunno, OP; I guess that's just the narrative or meme that's in right now.

who do you think is funding this stuff

They do have a code of honor but you're right op. And even then I don't think anime portrays them positively because of muh honor but rather because kids can't handle gray/evil protagonists.

its like narcos in media: ruthless but fair. We actually like our leaders to be like that, despite how media loves to fellate Justin Trudeau's limp 2 inch dick. Even Trumpfags love the idea of Trump being like that, despite overwhelming evidence of the opposite.

We simply love/hope the people who really hold power to be good deep down, and it makes for interesting stories.

>its like narcos in media: ruthless but fair
Most narcos in media I see are portrayed as ruthless bastards who have a few redeeming qualities (usually their families), but are still ultimately evil people that the world would be better off without. Same for mafia types.

it's

what a cliffhanger

>but they're still criminals that make society worse.
FUCK SOCIETY AND FUCK YOU, MOM!

>even more happy that Chisaki got btfo

Yea, after killing a guy and taking away the quirk of what would be the future number one hero.

Does the yakuza even do anything anymore? Besides, as far as organized crime goes, they're definitely saints compared to shit like salvadoran gangs and mexican cartels.

>Why do so many Anime and Manga insist on portraying the Yakuza as honorable people that don't hurt innocents and protect peope?
Ask Juzo Itami what happens if you don't.

Nisekoi is by far the worst offender. The MC, who had been ashamed of his Yakuza family for the entire series, decides to embrace it and become the new boss, and a corrupt government official too. And this is treated as a happy ending.

Compared to American street violence in any era Yakuza are noble and honorable.

There's a series of games about Yakuza and it's a successful franchise. It's too late. They're the good guys.

So what? Just because they're less bad than other criminals doesn't mean they're not bad. And even then, street gangs have a lot less influence and power than the Yakuza, so the Yakuza are in a position to do more harm.

>salvadoran gangs

You called?

They're Japan's main distributors of amphetamines and work as an interim trafficer for heroin coming out of the golden triangle.
t. major in organized crime

How involved are they in human trafficking and the sex trade?

Doesn’t that view usually represent how the Yakuza see themselves? For example, using your pic which comes from MHA, no one but the capo and his followers think that they are noble or have a code. The police and heroes see them as criminal relics than can still be dangerous but acknowledge that they have strong bonds

It's not even an anime thing. I remember reading that Battles Without Honor or Humanity, a series of 70s yakuza flicks (although most people in the west probably only know it's theme music), were made because the director was so sick of seeing the honorable yakuza shit in movies that he intentionally made one portraying them as the disgusting criminals they are.

This arc was so shit. I'm glad they all got BTFO and the entire Yakuza shit got destroyed.
A bunch of irrelevant shitter villains.

Cause mangakas don't want to die

black lagoon had the most accurate portrayal of yakuza. just getting wrecked by real criminals.

They are criminal that push their force on the innocent and honest folk, they may take care of the people living near them for good PR, but that doenst mean they dont kill, rape, steal and sell ilegal stuff to others

>narcos
>fair
???

if you betray a mexican cartel they won't just kill you, they'll kill your family even if they had nothing to do with it

they sometimes kill people who have nothing to do with cartels just for shit and giggles and to show everyone that they are evil

Because people are not 2D and sometimes they do both.

Yakuza in Inuyashiki were pretty scummy.

Compare it to the mafia in 91 Days, aka "let's shoot everyone and their mother for fun, and let's shoot our own brother, too. Bullets for everyone, kanpai!"
Nips are too nippon stronk to present their own society realistically. Stories are meant to show the human condition and society realistically, even if the story itself is robots shooting penis shaped lazors at busty kunoichi. Nips cannot come to criticise their own society. Same reason every fucking show has nip festivals and nip food in it, even if it's hugely out of context (VEG). Nips act like their country is the only one in the world and it's flawless and perfect. A series that shows the reality and flaws in their society is standout. Japanese have an extremely narrow world view.

mexican cartels will skin people alive and post the video on youtube.
Fair my ass, those human scum should be nuked from orbit.

I agree, Mexico needs to be glassed.

this, I didn't realize how nationalistic Japan was until I started reading a lot more manga

If they only fucked with governments and corporations, that would be nice, but they're scum that fuck over the working people too.

Everything you write comes from what you know you fucking brainlet. The authors you are describing don't travel abroad and don't know what their festivals and food are like.

Less so now than in the 90s thanks to an increase in law enforcment agencies sharing information internationally however it's still a large percentage of their bussiness. Mainly their involvement is in human smuggling, not trafficing. That is, transporting people willingly trying to get into another country illegally. The exploitative organizations that take advantage of those people on the recieving end usually are not directly tied with the main Yakuza hierarchy.
However, the Yukuza aren't stupid, and know full well that a lot of the people they traffic, even the ones doing so willingly, are going to end up in miserable conditions essentially as slaves.
They might claim to have a "code of honor" just like the American Italian mafia, but they'll gladly let innocent people die for profit. They are not good people.

>I didn't realize how nationalistic a nation was till I read material from said nation
jeeze you don't say.

Because people like to romanticize criminals, the idea of a life outside of the normal pressures of society is a common fantasy, but the ugly reality of criminal life is inconvenient, so they ignore it. Also , I'd assume having a public who buys into the fantasy makes their life easier

Yeah, very few authors will actually criticize and point out the flaws in Japanese society. Inio Asano is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

> Trump
> deporting illegal immigrants
> putting his own countrymen first
> shifting nafta and tpp
> somehow not fair
Wew

What do you know about the Corsican Brotherhood? Are they really as fucking hardcore as they are reputed?

Probably the same reason Italians love the mafia.

youtube.com/watch?v=SIsndKkasfI
japan is not racist or segregationalists, they are tier-ists

"if you were of a certain bloodline even if you look like me, I will disown your existence"

americans are still referred to as gaijin, which is derogatory

want to move there still?

What does that have to do with the Yakuza?

>americans are still referred to as gaijin, which is derogatory
Well, yeah, why would anyone think other wise. you'd never be Japanese, even if you get citizenship, it's just paper work.

It's not unique to japan. No matter how long your in italy, Italians will always consider you stranieri.

I dont know about hardcore, but they're certainly far more secretive than any other known criminal organization. Law enforcement still hasn't really been able to penetrate them in any signifigant fashion and much of what the public knows about them is a result of the French connection bust in the 70s.

Now that you mebtion this, that manga serie about a deaf girl that got bullied, I remember reading a scandal, some people tried to censore it or cancel it since it was showing japan on a bad light

Do they call Croatians that?

There is a thing called research, but you have to remember how many, lets say isekais, clearly are on a medieval european fantasy, yet their festivals and traditionds, end being very japanese, some even have tatami on the middle of a castle

You don't associate secretive with hardcore? Surely, there's some innate overlap by design.

Yeah, it called out Japan's horrible attitude towards the disabled and how schools will look the other way when bullying happens, which leads to children being even crueler and more systematic in their bullying than in other countries.

>Nips are too nippon stronk to present their own society realistically.
Investor Z has been the only manga I can recall that has been critical of the Japanese.

In some places your could be from the next town over and still be stranieri.

Their ridiculously idealistic and white-washed portrayal of the Chinese Triads was far worse.

how do i get into human trafficking, i want to sell other people

I always thought that it was pretty weird that such a conformist/collectivist society that puts following the rules and not standing out from society as imperative values would portray the Yakuza in such a positive light.

>And this is treated as a happy ending.
it's a happy ending for him tho
>accepts his family
>gets a cushy government job with loads of money and little work
>marries a blond beauty
>is probably fucking the other girls on the side

You're on a list now, user.

They're both. You sound like a guy who reads a lot of Jake Adelstein.

I'm literally a novelist. I had one set in ancient Persia, and I assure you they weren't eating burgers and french fries. This is the internet era. 5 minutes on google, any knowledge you could want. I read 8 full length post-grad-level books as research for mine, not to mention a myriad of other resources. Nips are either insanely ignorant or ridiculously lazy. Have your choice.

Mafia is awesome, but I don't pretend they're good guys with hearts of gold who follow some noble mafia code. Samurai were thugs. Mafia were thugs. Yakuza are thugs.

Koe no Katachi. And I wouldn't doubt it. Japanese society is brutally collectivist. Every individual is like an ant, living only to conform to and elevate the ant society. Ants will willingly drown to form a bridge of bodies to save the colony from destruction. If you don't conform to norms in Japan, you're an outcast. They love gossiping, they love bullying. Why do you think MCs are obsessed with being "normal"? Because anything abnormal, even slightly, is outcast from society. If a kid took a gap year in uni there, he'd be an outcast for life and unemployable. It's a sick society. Instead of acknowledging it, you only get slight hints that slip through the self censorship.
And speaking of ignorant, nips hardly ever travel outside their little island. They have very little interaction with other nations and aren't interested in expanding their horizons.
I don't hate them, but you need to know the beast.

>Stories are meant to show the human condition and society realistically
no thanks
why would I want to get depressed in my entertainment? Fuck realism
I'll keep reading cute girls doing cute things, isekai and battle harems thanks.

IIRC, they were based on the memoirs of an actual yakuza that were written while he was in prison.

but some countries are worse than others about it tho
japan is one of the worst about this shit.

And SZS

What happened was that after the pilot chapter, the author had a hard time getting Koe no Katachi serialized despite getting several awards because some vocal groups compained about how it showed negative sides of Japanese society. There was even a lawsuit apparently.

It wouldn't be that hard. I was just thinking of it from Hakata TR. Trick some retards to meeting with you in private, easy enough, just catfish them on tinder. Knock them out, and have a contact at hand and vehicle to ship the body. Out it goes. A van isn't hard to come by; you can even rent one, and if clever you can rent it anonymously. For a contact there's the dark net. Nothing about it is even remotely difficult. Hard part is getting good enough prices to be worth the risk.

Picked up.

American street violence is overstated. 9/10 times, anyone killed by gangsters was themself a gangster or associate. There are certainly areas you'll be shanked for being white, but those are pretty plain to avoid, and no one has a reason to go there in the first place. I've walked around plenty of cities in the US and never had a problem. Worst was some crazy hobos who almost fought me because I wouldn't give them money, but I can take a malnourished, half frost bitten hobo. Nothing more than a dog that barks loudly.

Or do you think yakuza don't whore, dope, drink, and gamble the same as american thugs? Hell, most gangsters in america are poor as dirt and eventually get harassed by cops. The only criminals who ever get away long-term are politicians. And even there, South Korea, India, China, and other nations outdo us. In Japan the police don't even bother investigating yakuza. At least american cops want to put thugs away.

Yakuza contributed a lot during earthquake and tsunami disaster.
During 2011 great tohoku earthquake, the first relief effort to arrive is by yakuza groups, they send supplies in truck from unaffected region and opened multiple relief center before the JGSDF made an official and larger scaled one.

If you prefer sugar-coated cardboard, have at it.

>The only criminals who ever get away long-term are rich
Fix'd

as opposed to literal shit, I will, thanks
Why would I want to read about real life when I I deal with it every day?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta
>Most of the participants were friends of the teenage boys, who were low-ranking members of the Yakuza.

they're just thugs like the cartels, they just live in a more developed country so they can't do all the fucked up shit cartels do

Let's be honest. You certainly do not deal with real life.

How are you suppose to help society at large if you cant be succesful? they dont live on a feudal era anymore, you dont have to force yourself to keep your social-economic level the same just because you were born on it.

I find it interesting that most anime/manga still go along with that collectivist mindset, since by default most mangaka, writers, voice actors, etc/ have ALREADY separated themselves from that 'cog in the machine' mentality.

'Normal' people don't draw manga, 'normal' people don't write isekai, 'normal' people don't voice cartoon characters. So much of the anime/manga/Light novel industry is created by the people who have placed themselves outside of the societal norms of Japan (less so now than before, since it's slowly becoming more 'acceptable') so why do so many seem to choose to depict those norms as something fine and decent and to be striven for?

>>is probably fucking the other girls on the side

I wish.

In Gintama they have their own laws. They are not honorable, but they always return the favor. Seven for three.

Then you have their leader, Jirocho, who was able to almost kill both the love of his life and Gintoki.

Very few show an accurate depiction. Someone mentioned Black Lagoon and the mafia in HxH were also pretty much what I'd expect them to be, going so far to post images of mutilated bodies on the net to serve as a warning.

Probably because they, or their editors and publishers, know that a story that actively goes against Japanese society's norms will not only sell less, it will get you bad press and readers will turn on you.

In Japan you even rebel within certain norms. These vocations you have mentioned are very carefully structured, so while they may not be something just any common person can do, it's still pretty standard. You'd have to look at webcomic or doujinshi artists for true outcasts.

I felt so disgusted when I first read about this. The worst part is, she'll always be remembered for being tortured and killed in such a horrible and painful way, instead of becoming a happy housewife and raising a family. They just cut someone's life short for no reason. Fuck them.

because they want or not, they are still part of the society, isekai alone focus more the escapism, they wont say it clearly, but people dont like their lives there and just wish to go to another better place, but wont go into specific, the focus more on the desire of "going away" rather than facing the problem, why do you think hikkimoris lock themselves and their family lets them? because the whole conduct is shameful and put a bad name on the family, better just no speak about it; a american family would force the hikkimori to look help in some way.

Like everything else, younger ones are more likely to go "screw honor/rules", older ones are more "what happen inside stay inside". and not every Japanese criminal is a Yakuza.

Its implied that his quirk is gonna come back

easy. if you see the vid its talking about a special very low social class of people, "branded" families that inherentely have less opportunities
(though I would be cautious with a vid that auto-translates the title to local language and has SJW talk all over, obvious (((shilling))).
A positive thing you can say about yakuza, and if you know how they operate, is that yakuza in a sense is like a social program, they find young people in need and offer something in return for them joining, a normal thing for yakuza to do for example:
>young dude has bedridden grandma, cant afford to support them
>yakuza provides support for grandma in return for him joining them
ofc when you join, you join for life. But yakuza tends to be family oriented and for all the bad shit they do, to some they are saviors.

other problem japan has, is their obssesive "respect for the elder" thing, I have heard that some japanese companies still use fax and other outdate equipment because their eldery CEO is familiar using those things and doesnt care about improving or modernization, and nobody dares to even suggest changing those for something better, another thing is their "work hard mentality" they prefer keep pushing against a gigant boulder with all their might because thats what they know to do, despise having the tools to do a easier, faster and even more economic job, but that isnt working hard, there is a reason they tend to say "give your best" instead of "good luck"

>they're all now free
>3 of them only spent 8 years in jail while the leader spent 20

They still use fax in American hospitals

Can you imagine being her mom and dad? I think I would kill myself out of depression. I wonder what the judge was thinking when he gave such a flimsy punishment.

They're mostly dead or in prison, as I recall.

japan has death penalty right? why didnt they give it to them? at least to their leader, what they did was beyond on what you would call violent crime, it was completly inhuman.

The respect for the elder thing gets truly insane when you notice than even twins have to refer to the brother that was born just a few minutes earlier as "nii-chan".

How come all the guys got let go? Talk to any random Joe about this topic and it will disgust them but once it gets to politics, the dudes are just let go. Where is the justice? The remorse? What about protecting people and making sure this never happens again?

There's nothing accurate about the organized crime depiction in Black Lagoon.

Fuck that honestly. I am all for respect for your elders but just blindly going with it like that is insane

the whole honorific thing enforce a huge hierarchical mentaility, remeber that you have to respect a senpai on a part time job like if he was your boss, even he just been there for a week more than you, despise having the same rank, position and job that you have.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta#Prosecution

missed it up a lill but nah most of them are free

they were teenagers so couldn't get the death penalty

*mixed it

the thing is that japan is huge on really old ideals, is like they never really got over feudal japan, they just modernize some infranstructure, technology, and procedures, but their culture and mentality remain the same, the only thing that really went out after WWII was they soo openly claiming themselves superior and militaristic attitude.

>Yasushi Watanabe, who was originally sentenced to three-to-four years in prison, received an upgraded sentence of five-to-seven years.[5][2] He was 17 at the time of the murder. After his release, he married a Romanian woman.
What the fuck?

>For his participation in the crime, Jō Ogura served eight years in a juvenile prison before he was released in August 1999. He was 17 at the time of the murder. After his release, he is said to have boasted about his role in the kidnapping, rape and torture of Furuta.[3] In July 2004, he was arrested for assaulting Takatoshi Isono, an acquaintance he thought his girlfriend may have been involved with. Jō tracked Isono down, beat him and shoved him into his trunk. He drove him from Adachi to his mother's bar in Misato, where he allegedly beat Isono for four hours. During that time, Ogura repeatedly threatened to kill the man, telling him that he'd killed before and knew how to get away with it. He was sentenced to seven years in prison for the assault, and has since been released. Ogura’s mother allegedly vandalized Furuta’s grave, stating that she had ruined her son's life. It has also been reported that Ogura has run through his father's savings (money which was originally meant for Furuta’s family), buying and consuming a number of luxury goods.
Imagine how screwed up in the head you must be for your son to kill and rape a teenage girl and for you to blame the girl for him being sent to jail

You need to be at least at the age of 20 in order to qualify for the death sentence in Japan. That's their death sentence's *only* weak spot. All of the men involved there were under 20.

This is a short version of Japan's current death row system:
Death row inmates tend to be kept in solitary confinement for years. They are banned from exercising in their cells, and don't get television. They are permitted visits from legal counsels or family members only once every few months. And, best of all: once a convicted person on death row runs out of appeals (or if they simply don't appeal), they can be killed on any day; but, the authorities do not tell the prisoner when they are going to die until the day of the execution. That way, they suffer from anxiety and freak out due to the fear of dying every single waking moment. And Japan does not have the whole "humane death" thing that the US does, so the executions are still carried out by hanging.

You don't say?

>the mafia in HxH
But that's straight out copied from western media. Togashi is one of the least likely mangaka to do any sort of research for his work. Almost all of the stuff appearing in his manga is copied from somewhere else or just completely made up. I doubt he ever saw a Yakuza in person, considering his shut-in life style.