I hate how all the translation groups make Kansai-ben sound like some southern hick accent. Don't do this

I hate how all the translation groups make Kansai-ben sound like some southern hick accent. Don't do this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nn9Wcy88Np4
youtu.be/iJLzftaWN9o?t=18
youtube.com/watch?v=4-m836KH034
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shut up you little dick loving faggot

How about a Brooklyn accent?

But isn't it considered kind of a southern hick accent by most nips?

So what's your idea then, genius?

It should be a Boston accent. This would make the most sense.

I don't mind it that much, surprisingly. I see it in officially translated manga and since I'm not a jap, I see it and immediately recognize it was kansai-ben originally. It works out. It's likely the closest you could get to translating kansai-ben.

the real problem is that anime and manga translators are almost never familiar with southern accents

>Texas
>Bavaria
>Osaka
Why are southern hicks the most likeable people of any country?

The Kansai region is considered the cultural and historical heart of Japan, kinda sorta like how New England is with the US. So think less Hank Hill and more Peter Griffin.

Holy crap Lois, this is the story of how I became the greatest villain

It's more of how like Americans see Australians. Kansai-ben is odd to Tokyoites, but not seen negatively and is seen as more sexy or manly by some people.
t. Half jap who speaks with Kansai-ben
Ask me questions about Kansai-ben if you want to know anything.

i'm just curious where you grew up and where you live now

That would be actual country dialects

Then suggest a better alternative.

I'm an American and live in America. However, as a kid I spent every summer for a while in Japan with my grandparents. That was in Shiga, east of Kyoto.

oh so it's like the valley girl accent

Wasn't Kansai-ben the mainstream dialect back in the day?

>Brit slag accent
doesn't work, still sounds too refined
>southern hick accent
doesn't work, sounds out of place
>ditzy valley girl accent
perfect

So a better way to 'translate' Kansai-ben into English would be to use Australian vocabulary and mannerisms?

Oh boy, is this license to use "cunt" everywhere in my translations now?

It's because mangastream's team stated that kansai is the equivalent to a southern accent, so pretty much every translation team now writes kansai as a hick accent

Definitely. Australian feels more fun than hick speak, and Kansai-ben is considered to be a fun but brash accent, not a trashy one.

>TL Note: This character speaks with a Kansai accent
Problem solved.

Even better, just ignore it. If you can't tell the character has an accent then you don't matter

I feel like hick drawl is the best option. It's recognizably different without making too many alterations.

夏やな~

I remember the time a native japanese speaker (and TA) back in high school told me the proper way to romanize Osaka is "Oosaka", at least when using IMEs.

Sounds good to me. The only problem is that most American translators wouldn't know enough Australian English to do it properly.

The way to type something into an IME and the way to romanise it to convey proper pronunciation are two different things.

>don't make my hick accent sound like a hick accent
Fuckin' weeb

lol what a juvenile way of thinking.

No they're not.

They fucking well are.

Have you ever seen anyone write Toukyou?

using IME to get 東京? Uh, yeah? That's how it fucking works. The way you type things into an IME and the way to romanise it to convey proper pronunciation are NOT two different things.

If you still need subtitles you don't matter.

Is this the faux-/djt/ thread?

I came here to have fun, not feel.

No, they are. Take づ and ず; both pronounced "zu", but you type "du" into an IME to get the former.

The best way is with a macron on the O. It is pronounced differently than the o in お父さん

Yeah but that just shows everyone you're a massive weeb autist faggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=nn9Wcy88Np4
Why not just write and say it the English way when speaking English?

No, it fucking isn't. This is much older than Mangastream.

>kinda sorta like how New England is with the US
Except Virginia is the oldest english colony which is why it is called the Old Dominion state. There is literally nothing historically American about modern day New England except maybe some historical site in Philadelphia

This made me laugh. I really hope his actually happened.

Does Goku speak with a kansai dialect?
I know people describe him as talking like a hick, but my level of Japanese is only at the level where I can tell he's being rude, not really talking in a specific dialect.

Are /djt/ threads no more? Is that why you feel?

You don't have to be intimately familiar to southern accents to get across the point the character speaks differently. I imagine most people interpret slurred speech as southern.

>lol
No, that applies to you.

List some differences between Tokyo dialect and Kansai

In Kansai-ben they say "nandeyanen". In Standard they don't

>You don't have to be intimately familiar to southern accents to get across the point the character speaks differently. I imagine most people interpret slurred speech as southern.
The trouble is, people who aren't familiar with a given accent or dialect can't accurately reproduce it; just a vaguely stereotyped version of it. Not a big deal if you're not familiar enough with it to tell the difference, but it's infuriating if you are or especially if it's what you speak natively.

youtu.be/iJLzftaWN9o?t=18

The worst offender

Kyoto-ben is sex

Sa-krwah.

youtube.com/watch?v=4-m836KH034

>both pronounced "zu"
Because of the degeneration of the distinction in vernacular spoken form; not because they're actually the same thing. Same thing as "shite iru" and "shiteru".

Maybe so, but it's still more useful to romanise it the way it sounds rather than what it used to be/formally should be.

It really shows ignorance of peoples understanding of dialects if they just describe the dialects as "southern" and think they are all the same. The dialect spoken in Appalachia is different that what is spoken in Texas.

'ow bout cockney then, luv?

Don't you dare.

>wrath wrath wrath wrath