So I finally finished the Evangelion anime and I just see the hype behind it. I think It is overrated and pretentious

So I finally finished the Evangelion anime and I just see the hype behind it. I think It is overrated and pretentious.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=baR3-hFINzY
youtube.com/watch?v=JBH8pxY7u1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=4p0GPC6m5Os
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't*

ok

Why do you think it's pretentious?

Eva is deep but you just don't get it *BUUUURP*

Imagine being such a brainlet that this is what you take away from Eva.
>dude why didn't he enjoy fighting for his life in the pain-feedback robot
>if I were him I'd bang all the hot chicks lmao

>I think It is overrated

Which rating did you see that was too high?

>DUDE HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE A FAGGOT XDD
the absolute state of Evafags

let me tell you a secret
no one actually thinks Eva is a masterpiece or hype

The series is a convoluted mess, the rebuild films do it more justice.
Forever waiting for 4.0

>DUDE WHAT A FAGGOT, WHY ISN'T HE A BADASS LIKE KIRITO??
Kindly crawl back to Sup Forums

ok

cool.

>It's either a faggot or a total badass
The absolute state of Evafags

Thanks for sharing your opinion with us
It's cool to have a personal view on things

evafags BTFO

reeeeeeeee

youtube.com/watch?v=baR3-hFINzY

>Every time someone is extremely late to the party to a good thing and are going into it with extremely high expectations and at the same time looking as hard as they can for flaws so that they can be special snowflakes and call a popular thing overrated

Ironically OP, you are the opposite of special, you are just a faggot in a sea of faggots.

It's a highly observant character drama that portrays the lives of a group of broken people with the backdrop of an incredibly incestuous sci-fi mech anime.

did you watch EoE?

>So I finally finished the Evangelion anime
now rewatch it to actually understand it

Yeah, it was garbage

care to explain?

Why would I rewatch it?
The message is pretty simple and not as deep as Evafags make it out to be

you obviously didn't understand it

>DUDE RELIGIOUS SYMBOLS LMAO
>DUDE A PEDO WOMEN LMAO
>DUDE IT'S SO DEEP LMAO

So you guys really are the equivalent of RnMfans

As a connoisseur of animess, I have both watched Eva and embarked on the psychological journey it tacitly invites you to partake in. In particular, Anno's use of religious symbolism is by far the most meaningful employment of such imagery I have seen in any medium. It is so, so deep. I sometimes confuse myself into thinking I don't understand it but then I remember that I'm an intellectual and I obviously do. Also, the way Asuka's mean-spirited character shrouds her beautiful, kind, generous nature is so convincing you'd almost think she was a real piece of shit with a big head and no redeeming qualities. But then you wouldn't be "getting" Anno's point. As I sit here and blow thick, grey clouds of acrid smoke from my pipe, my chin resting on my velvet bathrobe, I can only think about how sad it must be for those who can't understand the gem that is Evangelion. 'Tis a blessing and curse, this intelligence

the main problem with Eva is that it's too popular for it's own good, attracting brainlets like OP who would normally never watch an artsy, experimental anime like this

this also breeds all the meme hatred for Shinji from peple who went into the show expecting another power fantasy and not a psychological deconstruction of the genre

Yeah, the girls at the local club scene love my neo-wit and can't control their sexual urges around me. This one time I was chatting up this fine TIGHT little piece...I instinctively grabbed her ass and I whispered "I thought it was pretentious trash". A hot wet driffle rained all over the dirty floor. I looked at the bartender as I yelled "yeah bitch, these entry-level animes aren't up to my intellectual fortitute, you know that piece of media critics praise? I think it's dookie. I'm the king." The club was restless the whole night. Hehe.

>I think It is overrated and pretentious.
Congratulations.
Now forget it and never talk about it ever again.

you have to be very depressed to understand Evangelion. The characters personalities are extremely brooding, and without a solid grasp human psychology most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Gendo's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization- his personal philosophy draws heavily from the Dead Sea's literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Evangelion truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Asuka's catchphrase “anta baka” which itself is a cryptic reference to Helen Keller's opinion on those who lack foresight. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hideaki Anno’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have an NGE tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

You're 20 years late to the party.

>Now forget it and never talk about it ever again.
But that's not what Sup Forums is about, Evafag

wow it must be official then

"Pretentious" is the ultimate meme non-criticism. Calling something pretentious is admission that you lack the skill or capacity to express why you didn't like something. Rather than admitting that you didn't fully understand it, you simply imagine that it and everyone who likes it is playing a big game of pretend and that you're "above" it.

I'll add, this doesnt mean that pretentious cant describe something perfectly, just look no further than Ergo Proxy for the an anime that deserves it as a descriptor; the thing is so many dumbshits have malapropped the word completely and use it pejoratively towards anything they cant appreciate due to a prerequisite mindset or taste.

Or it's just shit and Evafags are pretending it's 2deep4u

truly underated

overrated maybe but objectively better written and produced than the majority of anime in any era

I once saw karaoke set for kids with Shinji's head slapped on it. It had nothing to do with Eva, just his head put on drawn body

this
it's overuse also makes it harder to call out actually pretentious anime
at least it allows me to easily discard the opinions of buzzword-spouting retards

>objectively better written and produced than the majority of anime in any era

>Better written
>DUDE A DEPRESSED FAGGOT LMAO
wow so fucking deep and we'll written

Jap cultural zeitgeist after 1997 proves this.

you don't have to like Eva, but if the only thing you took out of it was "lel, 2deep4me" you're legitimately stupid and it was unironically 2deep for your below-average brain to handle

Why don't you tell us what you think the show was actually about. Should be easy peazy since you think it's pretentious.

Shonen might be more your speed my friend, you dont need to force yourself to conform.

>R-Read s-shonen haha XD
This is really sad

Explain to me why it's great you super IQ creature

The three phases of watching Evangelion
>the I'm new to anime phase and this is blowing my godamn mind. I don't really get it, but I sense there is something
>the I want to fit in on Sup Forums, and don't want to admit that I didn't understand Eva, so the show must be shit
>the I just rewatched Eva and it finally clicked for me. Possibly one of the greatest anime ever.

No Im serious my friend, forcing yourself to sit at the big boy's table so soon will only embarrass you.

Wtf, I love SAO now

There are two types of people who hate Eva and I cant figure out which is worse: contrarian fucks and retarded brainlets.

>big boy's table
The absolute state of Evatards

It's ok sweetie, you dont have to prove your taste to me.

I'm Hideaki Anno, AMA.

Will you brap in my face?

Nobody cares what you think, fag.

We may think we live in the worst timeline but perhaps it is the best timeline.

I feel sorry for people who cant appreciate something as good as EVA because of their insecurities. In all honesty a lot of the reasons they posit as to why they think its bad makes it seem to me that /theyre/ in fact pretentious and cant help but posture to validate their own tastes.

Nice blogpost, faggot.

What a powerful criticism, I've never thought about EoE that way. Truly enlightening.

>for instance, the humour in Asuka's catchphrase “anta baka” which itself is a cryptic reference to Helen Keller's opinion on those who lack foresight.

>good deconstruction of genre tropes
>complex characters
>explores themes of depression, trauma and inability to connect with other people
>great visual direction, designs and animation (except for some budget issues at the very end)
it's not even anywhere near my favourite show, but all the people who say it's terrible are either contrarians who may have not even seen the show or total retards who expected a run of the mill action anime
if this show was only mildly popular it would be universally liked, even on Sup Forums

This is even more sad when you take in account the fact they usually assume Eva draws its 'depth' from its religious symbolism or other superficial aspects that are radically unrelated from its main qualities (which really aren't that hard to behold though, but go unnoticed anyway).

>You can't dislike my favorite anime

Evangelion is good because it has a depth of characters that most anime could only dream of.

youtube.com/watch?v=JBH8pxY7u1Q

who are you quoting?

Thanks

Imagine you were a 14 your old kid, right. Now imagine some giant as monster popped up in your city and started wrecking shit. I imagine that you right now would be scared of getting hit by a car. So now imagine this giant-ass monster is going to do to you what this car would do to you.
You'd be scared right?

Now let's add on some other things. The next is that everyone you've known has abandoned you, so you now fear being alone. Your father abandoned you so you hate him, and also don't trust him. You've also been asked to jump into a robot you've never seen before that is also not a robot (which is way more clear in the rebuilds).

By the way, after mustering up your nerve you actually get into the robot, something most people forget. I doubt most people would even make it to this point under the circumstances.

So now, you're being put in front of this thing that can kill you. Not only does it look horrific, you know nothing about how durable this robot you're shoved inside of is. Chances are you're probably thinking you're going to die and look like a wimp in front of everyone. Also, you're going to be alone for eternity.

And this is just Shinji getting into the robot. Shinji isn't a coward, he's probably more brave than most of the shitposters here.

Evangelion was deep in that the character at least somewhat resembled people instead of copy-paste archetypes.

This garbage is just a rip-off of older masterpieces

If you want a truly deep and religiously symbolic anime you watch the Big O. It has its issues, like the mecha, but the good outweigh the bad.

whats the right side?

I think it's the greatest anime ever made, and that this thread is filled with brainlet teens

A lot of people genuinely do not have the emotional empathy to get the characters in Eva. These are the people who react Shinji by calling him a loser or a coward. They feel real frustration at Shinji's actions, rather then understanding them, which is what you're supposed to do. They can't move past these initial, base emotional reactions to the characters.

>The faggot fights the first 2-3 angles
>You would expect him to develop some braveness
>But nope, still the faggot he is with some daddy issues

Or they get angry at Asuka for being a bitch, when that is entirely beside the point.

>brainlet
We call them "Evafags" in here

youtube.com/watch?v=4p0GPC6m5Os

this guy seems to fit the bill yes?

But those fights were deeply traumatic, what the fuck man. Let's see how brave you after you feel the pain of having your arm crushed, your hands burned, and your head pierced.

>Dude like, he's supposed to be a faggot
>Dude like, she's supposed to be a whiny bitch

can you retards stop replying to this thread, fucking report the OP and move on

If you can tell me WHY Shinji and Asuak behave the way they do, then - congratulations - you have now understood Eva.

I wonder if youre this autistic at understanding/interpreting human emotions and behavior irl. Its a basic social skill in fact, or is that expecting too much of you?

Sorry, son. Decades of depression have rendered my bowels completely inert.

>Let's see how brave you after you feel the pain of having your arm crushed, your hands burned, and your head pierced.
>What is war
If shinji was truly a realistic and deep character, then that's what would've Happened when he fought the first 2-3 angels:
1)traumatised forever or for a really long long time
2) becoming a soulless human and keep driving Eva
But nope he kept being a faggot

Sure thing Mr. Hero. What Shinji went through in the few months the series' takes place in is more brutal than what some combat vets went through. The only way this could have been more realistic is if Shinji literally started throwing up at the sight of going back into the Eva. This doesn't even take into account the emotional abuse he was being put through (both accidental and planned).

You gotta take your head out of your ass and start seeing this from a realistic standpoint. Shinji is way braver than most people, and I think that most people find it offputting that a wimp is more effective than they are.

The viewer is essentially Toji.

>1)traumatised forever or for a really long long time
But that's what happened. In fact he and Asuka were already fucked up from before the series started all the way to the end. That's the entire point of these characters.

>becoming a soulless human and keep driving Eva

And isn't this exactly what happens

Now Im convinced youre an alien masquerading as a human. How can someone be this socially inept and neckbearded?

You know I'm all open to listen to criticisms on Eva's flaws but they have to be relevant. You can't call evafags pretentious when you compulsively lower the general level of the discussion with half-assed opinions and tiresome wits that have been circulating on NGE since the dawn of time.
It's okay to throw around the words "pretentious", "deepfag", "overrated" if you do it carefully and intelligently, but you faggots tend to lack the elementary judgment to actually discern pointless provocation from clear-headed observations.

Nobody is learning anything from this, and it doesn't help anybody to understand Eva better, may it be in a positive or in a negative light.

tl;dr If you find faults in Shinji's character and development I don't think throwing around the words "whiny bitch", "faggot", and such to decry the way Anno built him to connect with the viewers will make your opinion creditable or even valuable.

And the shitposters are gone

No he kept being a faggot
Not an argument, brainlet