Villains who did nothing wrong

>Villains who did nothing wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kRwJvOm395E
youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0
youtube.com/watch?v=BffZ0vjMH2I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>did nothing wrong
Ruined Yu-Gi-Oh!, outside of the usual violence removal there was no reason for the show to be reversioned as heavily as it was.
Also Sanic X.

>WAHH THEY MADE MY KIDS SHOWS HAVE THE STANDARDS NETWORK TV PUTS ON KIDS SHOWS

Re-read what I wrote retard.
Besides the standard violence and religious removal, the reversioning was out of this world stupid. Making every character a one note stereotype besides Yugi was a bad move, as was turning all the villains into cartoon mustache twirlers.

Looks like this user didn't stand a GHOST of a chance!

>, as was turning all the villains into cartoon mustache twirlers.
>MUH COMPLEX SHOUNENSHIT VILLAINS

The villains in the originals were shit don't kid yourself fag

BOOOOOOOOOO

Not trying to take Funimation's advice and go for a general/older crowd is what hurt them. Their DVD sales of One Piece sold worse than Hikaru No Go because they refused to do a faithful translation, and as far as I'm concerned anyone who's a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh! is shit out of luck for ever getting a good dub. And I could care less about the in-jokes and how it's just a card game, it's okay for the dub to be like it is, there was more depth in those characters than it should have been, making the advert a little less grating to watch.

They took mediocre shows and made them entertaining. They also gave us this gem.
youtube.com/watch?v=kRwJvOm395E

To be fair, you need a pretty high IQ to understand Griffith's motives.

Marik was a shit villain regardless of version, even if megalomania was a dumb dub motive

This. Good riddance, they were a shit stain on the industry even by dub standards Every show they had deserved better, their Ultraman Tiga dub still pisses me off.

>Kinnikuman
>Mediocre
Fuck you

Shueisha probably hates them because they ruin OP worldwide

HE'S MADE OF RUBBER

But they handled the dub for Pokemon extremely well.

At least OP got a second chance, I'm still waiting for a decent re-release of Tokyo Mew Mew

>Ruined Yu-Gi-Oh!
Literally the only reason it’s as popular as it is. Without them it would have been nothing. They made it marketable to kids, same with Pokémon.

>But they handled the dub for Pokemon extremely well.
No. Stop pushing this lie, only nostalgiafags believe that.
Not the Pokemon anime was all that great to begin with, but the dub didn't help.

Only in Latin America, in fact.

Yu-Gi-Oh is marketable by design you dip, it didn't matter who dubbed it. 4Kids just had the luck of the draw getting before Funi or ADV did.

>Yu-Gi-Oh is marketable by design

So were so many other shows at that time, yet not many of them took off because they didn't have as good marketing

One Piece was something they shouldn't have put their hands on. Say what you will about Funi, but at least they gave us a dub with little to no censorship and bearable voice acting here and there.

I can't imagine how 4kids would've handled censoring more than half of the women post timeskip.

And USA

How is it a lie? The original was a boring, generic monster of the week series while the dub was hilariously cringy which gave it some entertainment value.

Oh yeah, TPCi has handled the series wonderfully, and certainly cares more about the quality of their product than 4kids.

All the toyetic anime of the era were being handled by the other 4kids/saban clones, and thus just as shit.
Not like Funimation wouldn't have been able to market it well too, remember DBZ really got it's legs when they had it and for better or worse that shows now while Yu-Gi-Oh is struggling to stay relevant on all fronts.

Marketing =/= marketability. YGO was marketable for 4kids and their version is memorable for how bad it is, but it would have been just as successful without the random changes that were pushed throughout it's run.

To an extent, the dub had its charm and they did what they were supposed to do. They got silly in the later years but at its infancy they handled it considerably well compared to other shows at the time.
youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0

Funi's dub is a bit boring, but better than what we had. I remember watching the Arabasta special and everyone on the internet going apeshit over how One Piece was finally saved. 2007 was literally yesterday. And in 4Kids' defense, they wanted DoReMi, not One Piece. Toei forced them to do a package deal with both series. Funi grabbing it would have been a lot better, with Eric Vale playing Luffy. Now that would have been something else. Colleen is great, though.

Being ironically good isn't the same as being actually good. While it wasn't that far a leap from what 4kids normally does, that isn't exactly a stamp of quality.

>watching dubs at all

The english dub of YuGiOh done by 4kids was perfect. Have you watched some of the old episodes? It's amazing.

Bastardization of the original? Yes. Shitty version for Americans? No fucking way.

I heard they really didn’t want One Piece but Toei really pushed it on them to make it the next Pokémon,

Honestly I'm more bothered by how they ruined Shaman King. Yugioh at least still had some coherence, even if it was unquestionably dumbed down. With Shaman King they actually created plot holes in the process of censoring things.

Sonic X was by far the worst though, I'm never going to get over how Ryan Drummond offered to move to their studio on the other side of the country just to keep his role as Sonic and they turned him down for that hack Griffith

Ultimate Muscle was the one thing they unironically did well. Dan Green's Warsman was amazing.

You only like it because of nostalgia. The few positives of the dub are
>voice acting, as in all 4kids dubs, is great for the era on many characters: Yugi, Kaiba, Yami, Grandpa, Pegasus, Duke
>fun catchphrases
>the opening theme is good even with the "TIME TO D-D-D-DDDDD-DUEL!"
But that's it. The characterizations are just hard to sit through 99% of the time, and it's a problem the original series doesn't have, even as a manga where you're not subject to voices.

4Kids may have had a lot of flaws, but they did great opening theme songs.

Sonic X sucked shit anyway dude. I hate that 4kids kept it going for so long honestly. Top tier cancer anime.

I think their biggest mistake was literally relying so much on Yu-Gi-Oh that they attempted to profit off it more than they should have which resulted in Konami suing them which resulted in them going bust.

Even their successes ended in failure. I've heard for years that their dub of Tokyo Mew Mew did pretty well, but Kodansha wouldn't let them do the entire second half of the show because they couldn't get toy companies to make merchandise

Why do they erase English? I don't fucking get it.

Trying to protect children from vegan influences

On books it was apparently because of potential copyright, but otherwise i have no clue

This. Autistic otakus need to stop pushing this meme. Pokemon and YuGiOh were great and One Piece looked like shit and was unappealing regardless of quality of the dub. If you want blame someone blame Toei.

You don't even know the half of it

Oh, it absolutely was. That's not up for debate. But they switched over all the game voices to the 4Kids ones after Deem Bristow died, and it pisses me off to no end that we could have at least kept one of the original cast.

*puts on aizen glasses*
"comrades it seems that my soul is lost to these demons, please fight you way to freedom"
>sacrifice continues according to keikaku
*oh, no. i'm possessed raping casca*
"yay, i'm not sorry guts, it's spilt milk and i can't change it. a part of me might have even done it to prove i'm still better than you"

nu berserk isn't meta and hip to meme, but still a classic

nothing changed except the why your mind used mental gymnastics to say Griffith is still a good guy.

>quit taking the blue pill

The only one that was unironically good was the Kirby theme

Probably to be able to sell it in any language market without foreign text.

HOW CAN I HELP YOU, KING DEDEDE?

It's not nostalgia if
a) you knew how bad it was as a kid
b) you know how bad it is now
c) you liked it then and still like it now regardless of how bad it is

Comparatively the Pokemon dub didn't so bad at the time when compared to it's contemporaries, and it did have it's moments of ironic enjoyment, but that doesn't mean it's good.

I have nostalgia for the 4kids Pokemon dub, it remains my first real exposure towards anime in general. But I'm not going to pretend like it was good

>remember DBZ really got it's legs when they had

DBZ was already super popular before they got it

Hell no. It aired in syndication and didn't get super huge until well after Funimation started doing it

I also remember Tien saying his arm would grow back after Nappa punched it off. Completely ruined the dramatic tension. Also the Never Say Die rule.

I'm so glad for growing up watching Mexican dubs after seeing the butchered versions of anime that Americans got

No it wasn't. It was just another show on Saturday mornings before the we got deep into the Frieza saga.

KIRBY KIRBY KIRBY THAT'S A NAME YA SHOULD KNOW
KIRBY KIRBY KIRBY HE'S THE STAR OF THE SHOW
[/spoiler]It's literally only enjoyable for the unintended humor you nigger[/spoiler]

>DBZ was already super popular before they got it
Not in the US

When Funi finally aired it's independent dub in 1999, it had been exclusively reruns for almost 3 years

UL
TI
MATE
MUS
CLE

Ruined every single anime that their hands touched. Did nothing wrong? What?

Yu-Gi-Oh!, One Piece, Shaman King and arguably Sonic X are not kid shows. They are aimed for young teenagers at least. That's like if somebody took a show like Family Guy at least or South Park at worst and made many edits to be a kiddy show.

Yes, but as a result, the card game is forever ruined. Many cards were violent or sexual; it was clearly not something you market to little kids. So many of the cards were ruined because Konami doesn't want to get lawsuits up the wazoo from soccer moms. Hell, simply calling a black mage or a black dragon "black" has been edited for the TCG because "mah racism." They're not racist.

Both 4Kids and DuArt are shit. Don't create headcanons that 4Kids was this god-tier anime production company. They are so fucking terrible that FUNIMATION working on the original DBZ dub (and that was as shitty a dub as they come) was better than 4Kids and DuArt's Pokemon dubs.

>Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! were great.
>Replaced most of the music
>Changed most of the script around
>Edited and censored stuff that was violent, sexual, or "not American."

Yeah, they did a fucking good job with those two.

I liked the Japanese version of Kirby's first opening more. It fit Kirby's themes of a brave hero fighting off a looming darkness to protect his loved ones more. You know, the theme that exists for most of the Kirby games. The 4Kids opening made Kirby look like some slapstick anime.

If 4kids hadn't butchered One Piece it would be more mainstream today. I don't see any OP merchandise when I visit anime friendly stores like Hot Topic and FYE. It's all DBZ, Naruto and Attack on Titan. Funimation got it so late the dub is still hundreds of episodes behind.

I tried watching some of the 4kids Doremi dub to compare and I honestly can't bring myself to hate it. A fair bit of the nuance is lost of course but you can tell that the script writers tried their best to make it entertaining for a western audience, even if that was ultimately a misguided way of thinking. Some of the rewritten jokes are legitimately funny and the characters maintain a lot of their charm even with the localised dialogue. Is it a good dub? No. But I respect the fact that it exists and that they tried.

Oh, but the redone music is fucking awful and a travesty. Reminds me of US vs UK Kitchen Nightmares with the blaring sound effects and needlessly intense music all over the place. No reason to change the fantastic original soundtrack.

The 4kids One Piece theme is unironically great if you ignore the lyrics
>YAYO YAAAYOOO
actually hype

It doesn't help that 4Kids made a genuine merchandising push with One Piece, they did like 4 video games with their version.

>if you ignore half of the song, it's a good song!
Same can be said for Step Into the Grand Tour.

>Yu-Gi-Oh!, One Piece, Shaman King and arguably Sonic X are not kid shows. They are aimed for young teenagers at least
Shonen means 8-13 years old.

Exactly.It was slightly more popular at the time in Canada,but that's it.It got big when Funi got the right and started to do their thing.By the today standards the dub was bad,but still 70% better than the previous dubs.

>Shonen means 8-13 years old.

Shonen is actually a much older demographic of 12-17.

They had positive.4kids hired decent to good voice actors and they did helped popularise anime.I also get what 4kids were trying to do,and it was at a time where pro-censorship association were big,so sometimes censoring was necessary,but it ended killing them because fan got older,internet got popular and people noticed that they were butchering shit.

Homura is such a great character. While her motives where in the wrong, she did help the world in the end

Homura wasn't the villain though

Who was?

Nobody.

>Hiding income and submitting false numbers on their earnings reports.
>Did nothing wrong.

>Yu-Gi-Oh!, One Piece, Shaman King and arguably Sonic X are not kid shows.

Shaman King's anime was inaccurate trash to start with.

Hell 4kids actually triggered soccer moms with their lack of censors

No one cares about the artistic integrity of kids card games to the death or the clusterfuck of the Pokemon anime.

Hell Sonic X and Shaman King's anime weren't that good. Only valid complaint was One Piece and One Piece's pacing/artstyle was doomed from the get go

The Yugioh anime was already ruined, 4kids saved it.

>I'm never going to get over how Ryan Drummond offered to move to their studio on the other side of the country just to keep his role as Sonic and they turned him down for that hack Griffith
spax3, is that you?

>tfw I sometimes play a thought experiment of what if 4Kids still existed and got things like MHA

Well I said it did what it was supposed to do, sell the games. I'd go for the sub any given moment.

youtube.com/watch?v=BffZ0vjMH2I

Midoriya = Izzy
Bakugou = Bart
Ochako = Carly
Tsuyu = Suzy
All Might = Mighty Man

I wanted them to touch Hunter x Hunter. Leorio would be Leo or Leroy, Hisoka would have a french accent and constantly make card puns or circus/clown analogies and the announcer would pronounce it as HUNTER EX HUNTER.

You'd probably have safari music whenever Gon was in the woods and Veronica Taylor would play a creepy voice for Hurtlua or Kevin the Creep.

>dub was hilariously cringy

Eh, no, the original show is legitimately funnier than the dub. Something like DiC Sailor Moon I could understand, as the way they basically turned the whole thing into a Canadian Saturday morning cartoon is bizarrely fascinating, but Pokemon is just a dull kids show.

>Saban keeps translating silly episodic character of the week Time Bokan-esque shows
>Saban actually translates Time Bokan 24
>Bimajo dubbed with Barbara Goodson?

mommy

>4kids adopts an anime
>censor the weapons and violence
>4kids makes their own cartoon
>keep the weapons and violence
What was their deal?

4kids is not a villain, just a toy company with media rights and a hard on for bowdlerizing foreign television. Unless they cheated their investors or something.

I really like the way they animate the swinging nunchucks

Is it true that they almost acquired Naruto or was that just a rumor?

Nobody was paying them to censor their own work.

Ninja Boy Nathan? Just a hoax.

>In another timeline, Naruto was taken by 4kids and One Piece got the better licensing deal.
>Kids ran around the school halls in straw hats swinging their arms around pretending to do Gomu Gomu no Mi.
>One Piece gets banned on Sup Forums from the autism.
>Floods of weird and explicit fanart and fanfiction.
>LuNafags become a powerful force.