Leads to a bunch of long boring infodumps

>leads to a bunch of long boring infodumps
Are complex ability systems really a good thing?

hxh requires 150 iq minimum

150? what is this? Bleach?

Are there viz rips anywhere? manga stream is unreadable.

simple systems aren't bad, but hunterxhunter set up a complex system from the start. why would you expect it to change now?

It isn't bad, but the way HxH does is the one that's bad. Togashi forgot "show, don't tell". Should have taken an example from JoJo's author.

On the plus side, if this ever gets adapted in to an anime again, all the wordswordswords mean that there won't be a need for filler.

>nen
>complex

O

It is a manga for children but don't rate it THAT low

Yeah, yeah they are.

By me.

>"show, don't tell"
Jesus fuck, WHEN will brainlets stop misusing this term? It doesn't mean 'use visuals to the exclusion of words as much as possible', it's almost *exclusively* applied to the written word. It barely applies to manga since the majority of the text is dialogue rather than descriptions, there are always images to show the settings, characters, emotions etc.

If you don't like exposition or text heavy series just say that, stop repeating phrases you don't understand just because it sounds like a legit critique.

if he doesn't explain stuff you would say it is an asspull, so just read if you actually care

>but hunterxhunter set up a complex system from the start.
it didn't really, at first it was just random abilities with regular "i can lift a ton and punch a guy into orbit because i was trained in the mountains" type, then it introduced nen, and the only complicated thing was that there were 6 different types, which quickly became meaningless because of bending the rules to make them be effective.
But then came the chimera arc and it suddenly became "let me explain for 20 pages why i was able to attack 0.6 seconds faster than my opponent"

I enjoyed reading that.

Bunch of fuckers, there will be always people to criticize everything, go hung yourself and stop shitting here.

>buttblasted HxHfag

We already know how nen works, why are thes chapters recapping it

Is hxhfags the rick and morty fans of manga?

To be fair you have to have a very high IQ to understand hxh.

Mangaka who has to resort to walls of text in a visual medium isn't doing his job right. Whether it's because he doesn't know how to present certain things with minimum explanation or if he has just written himself into a corner without any other way to proceed, huge chunks of text are a sign of a bad mangaka. Togashi is just an extreme example of this.
HxH wouldn't have ended up like this if Togashi's ideas had to be confronted with someone else. His assistant wife probably doesn't want to hurt his feelings with criticism and his editor just doesn't care about quality becase the series is selling on meme status alone.

Not an argument.

Go back to your containment DBS thread.

>Are complex ability systems really a good thing?
Why wouldn't they be a good thing? Are you a 12 year old kid or something.

Where the hell did you get that strawman from? Is that the go-to knee jerk reaction of HxHfags now? I haven't visited the threads in a while.

Wrong

Manga isn't just a visual medium. Text is fine too.
>His assistant wife
His wife isn't one of his assistants.

It depends on how much is pre-planned, how willing you are to stick to the rules and if you have someone like an editor to give frequent constructive criticism. I dont think HxH touches on most of those points with the nebulous "emotional" factor attributed to nen and lack of oversight due to sales

Not by itself no.

Having it as an addition to further ground the mechanics that serves the overall plot, theme or characters, sure. It help grounds the crazy stuff going on, and having set rules and restrictions on the powerset is a great tool for the author to keep battles and such consistent, and relatively asspull free. But if the complex ability system ends up being the main focus of your manga, you're doing something very, very wrong. At least in my opinion.

it's the shounen, "tell, dont show" writing style that's the problem
they assume all the readers are kids or brainlets who cant understand anything unless it gets hammered in their face

>it's almost *exclusively* applied to the written word.
Retard.

Text is fine as long as it doesn't take so much space. We're not talking about just any text, but huge walls of it. Things have gotten out of hand with HxH and it's somewhere between manga and LN at this point. Any other artist would be asked to rework the story, but Togashi gets a free pass since he submits new chapters so rarely.
And it's obvious his wife being a mangaka as well helps Togashi at least in some way.

When will authors get that consistency > muh complex rules?

His wife quit helping him ages ago because the work was too much for her.

Well, it shows.

what a couple

If space is the concern, maybe you should consider that moonspeak takes up less space than mediocre English translations.

And Togashi gets away with it because the audience knows from experience he will deliver. If it takes lengthy, dry set up to make sure the mechanics are known to the reader, that’s fine as long as it helps build up to the climax. Manga series are long but quick to read, and don’t need to make perfect use of every single page. It’s not like a poem where every syllable counts, he can afford to sacrifice some chapters to infodumps to make the overall story better.

>the audience knows from experience he will deliver
I wouldn't count on this. He's not getting any younger, still cannot maintain a regular schedule and just keeps adding stuff to current arc.
Meme status it is. If volumes didn't release only once a year with a lot of hype about 'the old master returning' or whatever spin the media give it, the sales would flatline and WSJ is aware of this.

ah, walls of text

my favorite thing in an visual medium

I had to stop reading HxH because of the text walls and how retarded nen got. I made it to the world tree, and that was honestly not worth it. Such a shitty manga. The art looks like chicken-scratch half the time, too.

If they have slowly been layered up in complexity, sure. World Trigger comes to mind. It never does horrible dumps of boring, shit text like Hunter x Hunter and instead explains itself over time in bits and pieces, revealing the complexity in a very understandable manner.

to fair Togashi's spine is made of playdoh which is why the art takes nosedives

He's right though. It originally refers to allowing the reader to discern information without having to use too many adjectives.

It doesn't apply to a visual medium because there is almost no reason to ever use adjectives to describe a situation in the first place

'show, dont tell' is for literature

>Based on his behavior, he should be right-handed
Huh?

they way he move his hand while talking or something

Yes, always. I've read loads of fantasy books too and they're just as bad there. Just have some consistency and a couple big restrictions and it'll be fine.

>didn't read volume version
You can only blame yourself really.

at least the characters are charismatic. the promised neverland, on the other hand, is insufferable

If more than 20% of any given page is covered with text, the author is garbage and you're reading a shit manga.

Unfortunately, this is the only good thing WT has to offer.

buy it nigger

Posuka really did kill your cat.

No.

>No.
Yes, "No". No tension. No characterization. No progression.

that's what you thought, but actually emma saved the cat minutes before

>He doesn´t want to read.

the only good thing that happened since then was the hisoka vs chrollo fight

I have a "I can't read any decent book" esl starter vocab and doing fine with both mangabloatstream and viz. Get good (you)-fisher.

I wouldn't mind the infodumps as much if he included some pics. Like the infodump about enhancers and transmuters having a stronger Ten around the body part they use the most, why couldn't he draw an example? Not that the pic would make it better, but these infodumps feel like a way to avoid drawing.

He's more or less right. In literature, for example, you should avoid things like "X is really pissed right now at Y because what Y did", instead showing through X's actions or dialogue that he's mad at Y. Though it's partially applicable to manga, manga still needs text to show the character's thoughts since that can't be avoided. If we had a scene of the guy's ten reeking from his left hand, and a reaction shot from Kurapika, I don't know if we could understand that the guy is left-handed and probably enhancer/transmuter without any text. I think it could have been done with more pics and a little less text, if only because otherwise it's a waste of the medium's advantage of relying on both text and images.

You're right that moon runes take less space than English, specially badly translations, but still there's an awful lot of space without any pics and lots of text. What I mean is that even in the original all that space is devoted to text.

Still better than bleach that just left a lot of white space.

Read the story of gekiga. "Show don't tell" is totally applicable in comic books. The problem is that Togashi tends to explain things too much. He lacks subtlety. He needs to understand that the reader doesnt give a shit about the tiny little details, the reader wants the excitement. The text should be a natural complement and not the focus.

>He lacks subtlety.
For example how Greed Island game works is all left to the reader's comprehension. Pic related is also. Gon's transformation and Pika's skills. It's shounen, man please think about those underdeveloped 12 year olds

I love this page. Words can be most effective.

>It's shounen, man please think about those underdeveloped 12 year olds
But that's the point. You're making a manga for kids and teens. You should not underestimate them, of course, but you also should not treat them like students in a preparatory school. Holy shit, some chapters are like essays.