Does his 'muh dream' ever gets explained?

Griffith's 'dream' is literally the core of his characterization and the cause for a huge chunk of the series, yet it's random, generic and is never explained. So he was this poor kid and one day just decided to conquer the kingdom? Like, that's it? That's the epitome of manga? I get that he later has regrets and feels blame, has an inner battle of goal vs comrade's lives, feelings towards Guts etc., but if the goal itself is unconvincing, then all of the later things don't really work either. Funfags need not reply.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xKonEeILEwY?t=10087
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Griffith is just a tool created by the idea of evil.

Did Griffith plan to use the Eclipse to reach his dream from the beginning? Or did he only use it because of his year of torture, losing the king's egg and that it was offered to him?

How is it uncovincing? Some people have ambition to rule others and work hard to achieve it, it happens in real life all the time.

he is the manifestation of the idea of evil.

No.
He fucked his own dream up because Guts defeated him and in order to "prove himself" to himself he went and took the princess before he was in a position to do so.
He blamed Guts for his own failings, and when the opportunity presented its self for him to un-cripple himself he took it. Even though it cost the lives of everyone who followed him he simply wrote them off as sacrifices to his ambition.
Tl;dr Griffith did everything wrong.

Does Griffith get development after Golden Age?
Do the God Hand appear again?
It feels like Berserk is fizzling out

He was a tool planned by the Idea of Evil over centuries by messing with eugenics and causality. He was basically a "messiah" engineered by humanity's dark subconscious, and his fate was kind of sealed from the start.

He was a peasant with no real future who saw how beautiful the castle was compared to the shitty streets he lived in. He wanted to be able to live in a place like that. Becoming a mercenary and gaining influence was really the only feasible way to do so.

There are plenty of instances in human history of ambitious people seizing power when and where they could, simply because they wanted it. Griffith was no different. All his men, barring Guts, were just a means to an end for him. He wanted to do right by them, but they ultimately played second fiddle to his desires.

Yeah it's a shame Miura didn't care about that. My head-canon is he was the oppressed and wishes to bring great change. That would've been more interesting at least.

Honestly the medieval world-building itself is pretty simplistic, the Golden Age was mostly means to an end. It only really picks up around Julius' assassination

Yes
He also gets bitch slapped
Berserk isnt fizzling out its just that all the adaptations only cover the golden age
Berserk really hits its peak around the lost children or when guts gets the armor

I think Griffith's dream has changed over time.
At first he wanted to rule a kingdom with a plan on how to do it. Now that he is a God, he has broadened his goal into ruling the whole world. He has his own kingdom in Falconia and it does not seem like he will be stopping anytime soon.

He still wants Guts

oh come one, his dream is to rule a kingdom one day
if that's not easy to understand, I don't get it

What is this new meme
Do you need to be some Trotsky tier revolutionary LARPer to have a reasonable excuse for ambition?
Plenty of people in history simply wanted to get to the top, and just like Griffith almost all of them were selfish faggots

>Did Griffith plan to use the Eclipse to reach his dream from the beginning? Or did he only use it because of his year of torture, losing the king's egg and that it was offered to him?
Griffith had no idea what the Eclipse was. Nor did he really know what the Behelit was. You can't really plan for it, either. You generally get picked out by causality/the Godhand and have the choice sprung on you in a time of extreme despair. When the time came after he fucked himself over by doing the princess and getting locked up/tortured, because he literally had no other choice but to either die or live life as a physical wreck/cripple, he chose to throw away his attachments completely and go for his dream again.
>Does Griffith get development after Golden Age?
Kind of. We really don't get to see much about what he's thinking. We know he's not as unemotional as he would like, but we don't really get a feel for what his next move is or what he's thinking. His attitude towards Guts and Casca (and Rickert) seems to be pretty complex.
>Do the God Hand appear again?
Yes, several times.
>It feels like Berserk is fizzling out
The number of times it's gone on hiatus have really hurt it.

Griffith is a servant if the idea of evil he doesnt have ambitions anymore
Why do Griffithfags always say this?
What part of literally selling his soul to the devil did you miss?

Yes, some people have such 'impulse' or even 'need', but there is always a reason for it; or at least rationalization. Power is addictive, so of course people will want more and more of it over time. But it has to start somewhere, like being compelled by a controlling figure in childhood or the need for safety, or some inner insecurity, or some justified feeling of superiority or righteousness. Something. Idk.

Thanks

>He still wants Guts
Honestly, this. He's had multiple chances to kill Guts, including during the Eclipse and after, and he lets him go every time. He probably realized that he could achieve his dream without dropping his obsession with the guy.

Not a Griffithfag, but the Idea of Evil quite literally tells him to just do whatever he wants. In fact, much of the God Hand seems to have quite a deal of free reign.

It'd be more accurate to say that Griffith's ambitions, which he still has, were molded by the IoE's influence in his original birth and fate.

So has Griffith led a life of crime to bring him where he is? I mean how else is he going to motivate others to follow him if there's no riches and no broader ambition?

>Answer: [pic related]

He blew his chance to kill Guts during the eclipse by fucking Casca and giving Skull Knight enough time to interrupt them. On the hill of swords he was too disturbed by his unconscious saving of Casca from the rocks to fight. And the only time I'd say he could have is when the count summoned the godhand.

It tells him the god hand have "free will" because whatever he does will be the will of the idea of evil

hmm yessss
>no

Strange why aren't his soldiers saying "keep going you'll make us filthy rich!"

Not sure I get what you're asking. Griffith is beautiful and charismatic, which drew people towards him. He was good at winning and a good leader, which made them loyal. Being a solid mercenary band brings in money. So does fucking old nobles.

He was about as criminal as any mercenary leader could be, I suppose. He wasn't opposed to letting his men attempt to kill and rob a previous enemy. But he seemed to be against things like rape, as seen with Casca.

No, you should go back and reread.

He very deliberately chose to not attack Skull Knight, Guts, and Casca while they were escaping, staring at Guts all the while. He showed no real hostile intent on the hill of swords, or when he encountered them with the Count. Zodd defended him on the former, and he just stood there on the latter. He also stared right at Guts after he helped Zodd beat Ganishka, and was apparently fine with Zodd letting him go.

Beauty and charisma convinced dozens of men to risk their lives for... beauty? Pic shows OG Griffith isn't a lowlife thief.

I'm pretty certain Griffith knew it was Guts when Corkus asked if he could rob him. Corkus says something like, "that's the guy who killed Bazuso instead of me!" I think Griffith was possibly testing him, but honestly I'm not sure. But when he speaks with Guts later about why he likes him, he gives examples from the Bazuso scene.

>hahaha my heart can't get swayed
>heart gets swayed right after
for a guy that supposedly doesn't care about guts, he sure does love to stare at him dramatically from long distances.

Masses follow the beautiful due their "halo effect".

Well what else is there to stare at, a snowy mountain? Griffith has basically lost all his empathy at this point, he's a robot now

>muh band of the hawk
Dead and buried at this point.

>Beauty and charisma convinced dozens of men to risk their lives for... beauty? Pic shows OG Griffith isn't a lowlife thief.
Those things drew them towards him. His leadership and ability to win is what made them loyal and willing to risk their lives. Mercenaries want to get paid and not die. Griffith gave them a better chance at those things than most other leaders would.

It's very possible he was testing Guts. But yeah, in general, he seems to have kept the Band of the Hawk on a short leash in terms of their behavior.

I was mostly talking about when he first gets his new body and when he sees Guts at Vritannis.

You're right but I think Griffith chose not to kill him because he doesn't view Guts as someone worth his opposition anymore. He's beyond him now.

I think it’s kept pretty ambiguous, and I kind of prefer it that way. It’s certainly true that he views himself and feels above and detached from Guts.

I think it’s more like that he isn’t in love with or obsessed with or whatever about Guts anymore, but is still interested in him to a degree. Specifically, he still finds how Guts hopelessly struggles against fate interesting/exciting.

We see him react a bit when Guts rips off his arm, when he fights Zodd, etc... the friendship and whatever that was there is gone, but what made him take an interest in Guts in the first place is there. So he’s content to let Guts do his own thing and not expend the effort of killing him, while also pursuing his own dream.

Yeah. Right after he looks to his hand, which either is in awe of his power or seeing the theoretical blood that's there. I think we can guess which one

wasn't that because he felt his body move on his own when saving casca because his new body is technically the cursed baby's?

How would poor Griffith intend to pay them at the start? They'd have to start as Corkus did, by thieving. Griffith may be smart, but back then he'd have no real experience and people would likely doubt him to lead a task bigger than that.

However, if he had relatable ambitions that would also affect their lives...

>Kind of. We really don't get to see much about what he's thinking.
The only time we ever see what Femto Griffith is thinking is during the Guts vs Zodd fight, where he starts feeling a bit hot and bothered despite the fact that his heart should be frozen solid. He blames it on the fetus child being part of his reincarnated body.

Never revealing what a character is thinking is a good way to show how alien they are.

It wasn't his new body yet, this happens immediately after Femto decides not to kill them as they escape. He just turns his attention to his hand

I still think his intent there was pretty hard to figure out.
>force crushes a mob of Apostles after Skull Knight dodges
>stares at his hand like “oh shit this is awesome”
>Skull Knight nabs Guts and Casca and takes off
>Griffith reaches out to demon magic them to death, but stops and stares at Guts and hesitates, finally deciding not to
Whether it’s due to some lingering interest, a decision that he’s not worth it, or some other reason is totally up in the air. The only thing that’s certain is that he hesitated because of Guts.

oh i was talking about at the hill of swords. my bad.

I’m sure they did their fair share of banditry. That said, it’s established that he secured funding early on via selling his body.

But he looks at Guts, then to his hand. If he was sympathizing for Guts and wanting to save a chance to meet up with him later, why did he literally just haterape Casca right infront of him? I think it makes the most sense he just doesn't even care about him anymore. He sees Guts' death an inevitable (as he also noted after in the manga) and is more interested in this new power

And then he stares at his hand again afterwards. Whether he was still in awe of himself or thinking about what had happened is debatable.

If you mean Casca's flashback, that was already decently into his conquest, he already had a following. That's not something anyone can just get

dreaming of power is a completely normal average dream
doesnt need an explanation

You severely underestimate charisma.

>tfw the manga is such shit that we still only talk about the villain that hasn't appeared in years.

Why has the series declined so much since the conviction arc guys?

I think sympathizing is a strong word. Still interested or somehow invested in is more likely. If he truly didn’t care, or even hated them both enough, he would of just killed them as it would have taken zero effort.

I’d argue that the haterape is actually an indicator that he still cares a great deal, just not in a positive way. He isn’t completely emotionally detached - he wanted to hurt them both physically and emotionally, and yet he deliberately chose to not kill them.

He’s complex and his feelings even more so, and we frankly just don’t know his intentions well yet.

Does anyone think that Berserk is going to get better after they leave Elf Hell?
I'm not a muh golden age fag but the last 2 arcs have been the only boring parts of Berserk for me.

But look at him when Guts leaves, he clearly wasn't connecting on a (((deeper))) level with most of his band.

For me the pirates were mostly boring. I haven't read the newer stuff yet, but the pics I'm seeing honestly look autistic af

Shout "phallic imagery" as much as you want

The only thing that worries me is about how it’s mentioned time on the island passes differently. I’ll be a bit frustrated if we get a time skip.

Well, i doubt it'll be faster on the island, there wouldn't be much point plot-wise.

It would speed up Rickert's situation

Griffith's charisma and intelligence make him seem as if he's really walked right out of a story about a Romantic hero. A detailed backstory in the Golden Age would have nullified the mystery and glory surrounding his existence, which we as the readers were supposed to share with everyone who followed him in the manga.

Griffith is supposed to seem otherworldly because of his mysterious past and his ambitions, but more than that, why do you need that explained? As said, history is filled with people who strive for power simply when they can get it. Griffith's opportunism is all you need; when he saw a chance to elevate himself, he took it every time without failure. I think a commoner seeking to rise above the class he was born into is sufficient anyway, because while most people who grew up the same as Griffith were content with or defeated by the cards they were dealt, Griffith possessed the natural talent, perseverance, and work ethic to actually try and succeed. Some people are just born that way. It happens.
The last thing Miura wanted to do was make Griffith appear more mundane and human than he was in GA; his grandiose persona only begins to fall apart after Guts' departure, at which point the persona has served its purpose and it's time for Griffith's character to evolve. If he seems fantastical to you because of this, that's because he's supposed to be, despite being only human. This meant Miura had to tread a very fine line when writing Griffith, and I think he did well.

Phalic imagery was one of the best parts unironically.
I think its genius.
Berserk hasnt dropped in quality.
People are just impatient

Fuck, posts like these really prove that there is indeed something great about Berserk, too bad I didn't get it and couldn't enjoy it.

you still can just rewatch

>watch

Anime pleb

buttfucked by a granny lmao

>lmao

>Berserk hasnt dropped in quality

The thing is, Griffith wasn’t just born like that. His eventual birth and the circumstances he was brought up under were pretty much all planned out by the Idea of Evil. Everything throughout his life to the Eclipse was all according to causality. His talent, charisma, and appearance were all planned out for his role as a messiah type figure.

He was otherworldly and perfect to all the people who followed him or that he encountered at court, and was ambitious and focused to an inhuman level. Somehow, Guts dragged him down to a more human level in a way that no other person could, and that was his downfall. When you act at a level that requires perfection and stutter due to an emotional weakness, which he did, it all falls apart.

Since becoming Femto he has become even more inhuman, and has supposedly shrugged off all the attachments and exceptions such as whatever it was he felt about Guts. I hope we get a better look at what’s going on in his head soon.

it's just the readers quality that dropped

"Dropped" by scrounging up what they can?

This is his dream

If Guts gave him a good dicking, would the Band of Hawks still be alive and well?

Do they live happily everafter with all the children??

Or better...
Pretend to be a female, marry king, convince him to experiment, dick him to death, Kingdom complete. Really, Griff wasn't that smart was he?

>or the need for safety, or some inner insecurity
That's literally his reason. He's a control freak that couldn't control what was happening around him as a child, so he was trying to as an adult.

phallic monsters have been around since forever

Yeah, but they didn't look like a parody of the concept

Non weeb faggot here. What are some animes similar to the first season of Berserk? I've already watched ninja scroll and that shit was tight, if a bit too short. It had way better animation as well, but that's not very important.

i guess miura wanted to stay generic since those arent real apostles but just manifestation of fear
i agree they arent much good, but hey it was a few panels, nothing you can get over

The penis monster symbolism was the most uninventive and stupid thing I've seen in Berserk.

Gone but not forgotten

Similar in what way? First season as in OG 1997? Another good character-driven medieval anime is Spice & Wolf, but not focused on action

Add in every MC has been molested, one in particular molested a dozen times or more

Akira, Bastard!!, old school anime basically

honestly, what did you expect to see? she was broken by dick

Something more along the lines of "rule of cool"

Nope. Somehow the Eclipse still would of happened.

Griffith would’ve proabably if raped Guts instead during it though.

Fuck off retard

They’re nightmare monsters inside the mind of a crazy retard. They’re not exactly meant to be taken seriously, and are overdone for a reason.

Be honest, Sup Forums. If you were Guts, would you have given Griffith the dick?

...Yeah

Then is Guts retarded too for seeing himself as a tail-swinging doggo? Or did Casca read the manga too and also see him as a doggo?

dont give what you can't take is what I live by

I appreciate your answer, but I'm probably locking for the opposite of wolfgirls. I guess my question wasn't that precise. I don't really know how to explain it, but something with the tone of the 1997 anime. I've watched the 3d seasons an while being fugly they've also lost the tone of the first season with kawaii elves and that kid. I felt that ninja scroll was a pretty close match with the original Berserk though.

I liked Akira! Did this type of anime get out of style after a while?

I will, sooner or later. If you've got any advice regarding shows similar to Berserk I'd appreciate it.

Guts doesn’t see himself as shit. They’re in Casca’s mind you dingus.

The idea of evil engineered him to be the ultimate boipucci, so yes

>because whatever he does will be the will of the idea of evil
Which in turn is the subconscious will of all

Close enough, I'm a fa/tg/uy.

>Or did Casca read the manga too and also see him as a doggo?

>wolfgirls
Don't be so plain user, I'm not some furry

I would assume she has functioning eyes and has seen how his berserker armor looks.