So anons that have been to Japan. How did it change your anime viewing experience...

So anons that have been to Japan. How did it change your anime viewing experience? I went a few years back and I keep going there yearly and honestly it's been kind of incredible. Suddenly I understood a lot of jokes, references, how things worked. What food people where eating, what parodies the signs in anime were and so on... it felt like a whole world opened before me.

Did anyone else have this kind of experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/r/anime/TNOiZ
jpmanual.com/en/bamboo-forest
youtube.com/watch?v=Jqxa0z6wpVA
youtube.com/watch?v=SOAiK6H9ubU
youtube.com/watch?v=l7xRXIWexHY
youtube.com/watch?v=gZzE10gvAjU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nice try, we all know Japan isn’t an actual real place dumbass. What do you think we are, 5?

>t. japanigger
I see past your ruse. You're just trying to keep all the Japan for yourself.

But muh anime locations.

I recognise some landmarks but aside from that not really.

I fucking love those anime-real life pictures. I hope one day I can visit some of my favourite anime locations.

No I mean in general.

Like waking into one of these for the fist time when I arrived in Japan I was blown away by the things I knew yet never tried.

And then when I later watched anime I noticed a ton of things I tried in Japan and were familiar.

Just buying Onigiri and seeing how many interesting flavors they had, trying Japanese Mayo, seeing all the food they had from Yakisoba Pan, Korokke Pan, Ramens, All the Instant Ramen, Soy Sauce, Pudding, Sweets.

I traveled quite a bit in the "western" world so Europe East-West and US/Canada. And while local foods exist sure you will always find shit like Milka, Lays Chips, Nutella and so on... From Russia to Portugal the "supermarket" food and supermarket styles are more or less the same. Same goes for US/Canada.

But when I went to Hong Kong and Japan I was blow away by the number of local stuff they had that I never seen or tried in my life. It's like Globalism didn't exist they pretty much only had like Coca Cola Pepsi and such. Yet even these came in flavors I never saw.

Melon Cream Fanta was something I never even imagined existed let alone tasted awesome.

A few years back I lived for a month near Ueno Park.
Watching Mitsuboshi Colors I was like waaait a second I know this, and this and this. They kept using these realistic or near realistic shots all the time. It's such a blast watching it I'd go online and look for the shots on google maps since I remember where they are.

I live in New York City. When I visited Japan, it's basically NY City but cleaner. So everything looked the same. Next time I go I'm gonna head right to the bullet train from the airport and see some other parts of the country. Also nip girls are for the most part ugly, unfortunately.

>Also girls are for the most part ugly, unfortunately.
FTFY

Yuru Camp is getting NEETs to go camping

It felt a little weird at first after I got back home but now I don't really feel anything unless something happens in a show that triggers an embarrassing memory.

Check this out user.
imgur.com/r/anime/TNOiZ

This was one of the most interesting scenes.

So hes going to send them 30 minutes away from Ueno to a place where a lot of people with 3DSs Streep Pass and then they show this scene.

And I'm like they're totally going to Akihabara.

Then they get to this advertisement pole with the metal seats and I'm like I know exactly where this is.

I'm a little backwards in that I only started watching anime after going to Japan. It's a cool place, I hope to go back some time soon.

Really?

I don't remember ever seeing the yellow lines for blind people that are everywhere in Tokyo in New York thats the first thing that made it feel different. Then it was all the cars they were all very much different the little trucks and keicars, obviously the metro was like a fucking space ship compared to New York.

But yeah I'd highly recommend Kyoto or Nara if you want the "Japan exprience"

Especially going like early morning to Ninen-zaka and Sannen-zaka when it's empty.

I was there for about half a day. Only left the airport briefly. All I really noticed was a lot of people wearing surgical masks. The people were pretty short, too.

Didn't change it at all.

the train station in Akihabara is pretty well recreated in Steins Gate

Yeah this pretty much just says to me that nips are lazy tracers

You don't remember any of these?

Like I had no idea before what they sold, what it was, what type of things they had.

The lines are there but they are covered in literal shit, garbage, and gum. I've noticed this about metro lines outside the US, though. People tend to take care of their metros, even be proud of them. But New Yorkers shit all over theirs

why do you hate japan?

Nice and peaceful place. Girls all looked like they got hit in the face with shovels though, yuck.

Konbinis are fucking great. They alone made me think that Japan is probably one of the most advanced nations on earth. They're like a miracle.
Just look at that you got warm water for making instant ramen or tea or coffee, you got disposable chopsticks dispenser, friend food, cooked food, whatever food, the cashier doesn't need to do jackshit the computer spits out the change automatically leading to 0 misunderstandings, she will copy and scan anything you need and send it to your email address, she will make you some coffee or a shake type drink. You can pay in cash or use contactless cards you use to pay your trains and vending machines outside. Some have ATMs that don't charge extra at all on any card some have photoprinters and other shit, the amount of drinks, alcohol and snacks they have is incredible. They're literally the best thing about Japan.

I haven't seen the anime, but shouldn't those children be in school?

Why are they doing those shenanigans on the street? Don't they have homework to do?

Thats the thing about Tokyo and Osaka at least.

When I was in Moscow, Berlin, New York, London and Paris I felt a sense of chaos, something you'd expect in cities of that size.

Traffic was shit, people would road rage, metros were dirty and disgusting, people often talked on them. Fucking niggers arguing on their iPhones with their girlfriends and shit.

Meanwhile in Japan.

People don't road rage, theres hardly any cars on the streets, metros and train lines run with 0 delay. People line up to let others exist first and then enter in the most efficient manner. The Train tells you ever other minute to shut your phone off and shut the fuck up you're in this train with other people. Nobody talks it's quite and enjoyable. Everything is clean as fuck, a lady thanked me for using a toilet in Ueno. A toilet thats has an electronic seat, ample toilet paper and automatically cleans your butt.

If you didn't have to work 10 hours a day. I'd probably move to Tokyo this instant.

Japan is comfy as fuck. Would go there again one day.

> tfw the school girls actually go "EHHHHH?!" like in anime

They look preschool or they have school break.

Also their parents work in the Ameyoko so that real close so they explore the surroundings.

You know how the japs are always portrayed as having no kids. I saw a shitload. Probably because of the Zoo in Ueno but you had the kids with the obvious "I'm on a school trip" hats going all around the place.

>Walls of gift cards are a Japanese thing

I went to Japan a decade ago. Ended up scammed by some japs and the police refused to help me because I'm a white foreigner, so I were homeless for a day and had to sleep under a stage next to the lake in ueno park while other homeless japs stared at me like I were some kinda freak. I hate Japan and the japanese. But it's fun seeing familiar colours in that show.

I'm gonna be studying abroad for the upcoming spring semester in Kyoto, any cool tips/places to share?

not a weeb anymore cant deny i were one tho.

No actually they are. Very few people actually use credit cards or debit cards in Japan to pay anything online.

The vast majority of the population uses these prepaid cards for everything.

Line Points. Amazon Credit. Steam Credit. Mobile Game points etc...

These aren't so much gift cards as something regularly buy.

Like Mobage 3000 cards were sold out almost the same day they got them in the local konbini I was at.

t.mutt

Norwegian, so actually whiter than you. But thanks.

I'm just saying user, we've got very similar walls of cards for basically everything like that in Australian stores and I'd imagine most places too.

I don't know about you man, but that sounds kind of terrifying. Sure it's nice to have quiet moments and such, but that sounds like a fuckton of internal repression going on there.

It was unironically like a spiritual experience. I don't think I've ever been happier.

After seeing about half the country, riding the fastest hokuriku shinkansen (330km/h dammit, it's mindblowing), doing more than 50km on foot inside of kyoto, being in that VR thing in shibuya and watching some futuristic robot show-
There is no greater miracle than konbinis. You want delicious crap food? they have it. Feeling like something proper? healthy fresh cooked chicken breast always available, and onigiri are rice with fish, what could be healthier. Snacks? check. Alcohol? check. Forgot a shaving knife? no problem. laundry detergent? right there, in neat little packages for literally pennies. ATM? fax? email? emergency phone? umbrellas for sudden rains? small last minute gifts? EVERYTHING.

One of my best nights in tokyo was having a guesthouse cup ramen party with 2 japanese dudes, 4 people from other places, and the cutie clerk from familymart which we invited when buying everything.
Truly an achievement indicating the most evolved form of civilization. Rest of the world, step up your fucking game.

Wait, you don't have those in your cunts?

How'd you end up getting scammed retard-kun?

>never worry about being lost because train stations are everywhere and as long as you got a phone the schedules are easy
>konbinis everywhere
>vending machines everywhere

Japan is the most convenient place on Earth. Every day I wonder why I'm not back there.

You can get "the Japan experience" even in Tokyo, just go to one of the wards like Sumida.

Kyoto is fucking big let me tell you that first.

That being said the obvious tourist traps I loved where

>Kiyomizu-dera
It's big, it looks fantastic, the nature in autumn and spring looks 10 out 10
There you also have a whole district thats totally preserved in old Japan style. Higashiyama District. Some interesting stuff there.

>Fushimi Inari

Climp the top it's was one of the most impressive sights I had in Kyoto. The gates are fun. While walking down try to find the Gasprom donated by Putin gate. I also found this Pharaoh thing on one of the graves. No idea what up with that. I wanna go check it out this year see if it's still there.

> Nijo Castle and Imperial Palace
I like these old castles.

>Various shrines around the city google em

Theres tons of these. If you like Vermilion colored buildings that look real asian they're a blast.

>Bamboo Forest
Go outside of Kyoto with a train to somewhere like Muko they have a great bamboo forest there. jpmanual.com/en/bamboo-forest

>Kifune Shrine
Also a fun walk/trek outside of the city.

It feels so different compared to a normal forest.

As for Tips. Get a local IC card. So Pitapa or a Icoca. You can use this for all the trains, buses, metros and vending machines. Most konbinis even take them. It's way easier then going around with 50 1 Yen Coints in your wallet/pocket.

For food I'd recommend the Ramen street in Kyoto stations they have like 10 different ramen stores there.

If theses a festival and there will be one in Kyoto go there and eat tons of local food.

I usually don't trust all the tripadvisor bullshit but Okonomiyaki Katsu was a fantastic resturant for Okonomiyaki.

I'll go more indepth if you want.

>go into a bar
>order bottle of sake
>they give you sake in a champagne bottle
>then claim you ordered it, and it costs 80k yen while strong huge guys surrounds you
>cops literally say whites aren't protected by laws so they won't do shit
But you'll defend Japanese no matter what because your weeb vision only see a perfect society.

There is and thats exactly how it should be. You don't want niggers chimping out on trains or worse. I've seen so many New York Subway youtube and liveleak videos that I don't want to go near it.

To me it's very close to an ideal society. Because I'm the type of man that enjoys this kind of order and quiet.

>go into a shady bar
Did the alcohol rot out not only your liver, but also your brain? You don't do that in any fucking country.

Scandinavians really are as naive as children.

This so much this. I feel like I'd get in shape and slim down a fuckload if I were to live in Japan.

Portions are calorically perfect the foods always fresh and tasty.

2 people I know that live in Japan today that were westerns lot a good 10~20 kg by living there and I'm not surprised.

I could walk down the street and see almost the same exact thing including many of the same kinds of drinks here in the US

Nobody has them.

The closes thing to a Tokyo Konbini I saw was in Korea.

Not the Chinks not the Gooks nobody.

I've seen 7-11 in Australia and American they're fucking jokes compared to Japan.

Thing is, I asked the hotel staff if they knew any decent bars and they pointed me to that one. It's pretty clear to me that every single Japanese HATES white people behind their cowardly mannerisms and fake politeness. You'll see the day you save up enough welfare money.

Where was this bar?

>internal repression
>>>/leftypol/

Konbini in Taiwan are a lot like the ones in Japan.

Asakusa, near the shrine

But I've been to Japan and had a fantastic experience.
Or perhaps, as a Russian, I'm a non-white mongolian mutt? Is that what you're getting at?

Well, this is were we differ. That sounds more dystopic to me than perfect.
Sure I bloody hate niggers chimping out or the usual shit you encounter on a big city, and I do consider myself someone who prefer calm and order; and yet just being on a place that is just emotionless and dead terrifies me

Sumida and Taito do have a few spots that feel very rustic and old. Especially Asakusa and Mukojima.
But look at the map South of Skytree you have obvious American zoning squares.
Kyoto and suroudning villages like Muko, Kameoka, Otsu, Uji, Nagaokakyo give you the real Japan feel. Not the modern Japan you get from Tokyo.

But you are? Like finns being mongolians

So I got a week in japan coming up, don't have anything in particular planned, other than stopping by Akihabara. Any advice or suggestions?

What's the difference between them and the 7-11 on the good old US?

Japan isn't emotionless and dead. If you understand Japanese, then on the street you'll hear people being lively and friendly with each other like anyone. They're just more civilized about it than most.

I thought I would enjoy my visit to Akihabara..

...but I hated the crowds of people not giving me any personal space.

...but I hated the constant bombardment of advertisements around every corner.

...but I hated the nightmarish consumerist hellhole that had nothing to offer but product worship.

...but worst of all, I feel like I’ve lost my love for anime and video games, which now leaves me an empty shell of a person.

>2018
>norwegian
>white

And Hawaii. We also have some Japanese bakeries.

That's because you're not autistic. Only genuine autists enjoy "order" and emotionally dead places

so you hate cities?

Yeah, everyone took the time machine back to the 80s to rape my mother. Silly me, how could I forget.

You seriously prefer the left?

Tokyo:
youtube.com/watch?v=Jqxa0z6wpVA

New York:
youtube.com/watch?v=SOAiK6H9ubU

Listen the difference in sounds.

>Going to a bar in the first place
You deserved it.

The only drinks you'll see that are similar are Pepsi and Cola. And they're going to be in different bottles too. But obviously you've never been in a konbini before.

You're right, I should just sit in my room screaming REEEEE at random people the entire vacation

What types of tips or suggestions do you need user kun?

What shocked me the most was how I could buy used figures that I'd pay 50$ ez here in Europe. I could buy for under 10$. It's really scary considering I still have figures from 10 years ago. I feel Japs change them a lot.

Write a list of stuff from anime that you want to see. Mogra (even if you go on a slow day you can probably have fun with the djs), temples and often featured places. Get some crepes in Shinjuku, go drinking in Shibuya, check with Sup Forums to see what they're up to.

Your love must have been a shallow one if you lost it just from visiting one commercial district. Maybe stick to less commercialized hobbies like hiking or crafting?

Japan is a strict conformist society where one is expected to express differently than they feel, where one who is not Japanese is a lower caste of human being, and where individualism is shunned to the extent that innovation can be viewed easily as arrogance or vanity. Japanese people present different 'faces' relative to who they are speaking to, and you will struggle to make genuine Japanese friends. It is a horrendously expensive and competitive society as well. You are in a better position than Japanese people by being able to easily download the pleasant parts about their nation for free without having to be a part of their constrictive concrete ant mound. A country only worth visiting for relaxation, not exploration or socialization.

Also, make sure to try Chunithm in an arcade.

I can get genmaicha, asahi, monster, red bull, or calpico just fine down the street. And yes, I have been to Japan before. You are sperging out about a convenience store. They have those in most of the first world.

Make a trip to Mandarake and Traders, they're absolute goldmines.

The lazy bum is there too!

youtube.com/watch?v=l7xRXIWexHY

youtube.com/watch?v=gZzE10gvAjU

It's like a fast food shop, copy place, ATM, SuperMarket, Starbucks and other stuff combined into one. It's very hard to describe if you haven't been there.

They simply have everything for silly cheap and it's quality that far superior to the west in terms of food.

Like if you buy instant noodles say or some other food they'll warm it up or prepare it for you and you can it right there.
If you want tea or coffee they'll brew you some.
If you want a meal that has been cooked a few hours ago and wraped it's right there for like 5$

Theres a lot of them so they compete and they all have like different sales and stuff. 7-11 Selling EVA themed stuff while Family Markt has an Attack on Titan week and Sunkus has a Youkai Watch thing and Lawson has like One Piece etc...

>I hated the nightmarish consumerist hellhole that had nothing to offer but product worship
What a weakling. That was the part I loved the most about Akiba.
It's a glorious consumerist paradise.

Unironically, I wouldn't mind either of them. Seriously, Tokyo one seems like perfect after a long tiresome day, but not everyday forever.

I never went to Taiwan so I can't say.

This is depressing

Fuck yeah, subway ride with a free show

Watching Uchouten Kazoku brought back a lot of fond memories of Kyoto. Pretty cool place to visit

>JAPAN
>FIRST WORLD

KYS WEEB

I just returned a few weeks ago from a trip to Japan, and I definitely recognized a number of things and places.

Went to Tokyo for comiket last year
10/10 experience, will go again this year

You can see nothing at the top of fushimi inari though, it’s a small shrine surrounded by trees. The best view is just before the long stretch of shrines on the way up.

Either you are the biggest idiot on earth, acted like a huge jerk in a way that made everyone dislike you to a great extent, did not explain yourself properly, or flat-out lying.
I spent a full month there this summer, anywhere from the most central places in Tokyo, to some shady places in the corners of ginza, to out in the boonies in nagano and aomori.
Had trouble with people only once, and even that was solved swiftly. When i lost my JR pass in Okayama station and was already on the train to Osaka, they literally sent 2 people especially to search for my fucking ticket instead of having me do it myself and charging me for the trips.
Do you have any idea how big that station is and how many people pass there? i'm still in disbelief they managed to find it.
Only bad experience? some flip bimbo in heavy harajuku style makeup thought it would be funny to yell "chikan" on the train and accuse me of being a groper.
Station officer asked for my story, requested one of the other people present to give his opinion, misunderstanding cleared up in 3 minutes.
He then advised me to stay near the middle of the car where i can be seen properly, to avoid any possible trouble.
How the heck you managed to get yourself in so much trouble, i have no idea. Met some awesome people there, still in contact, going to visit them in march.

Comiket was definitely the highlight of my trip. A shame it only occurs in the two worst possible times of year.

It was more the other way around, I saw something and was like "huh, I remember this from anime". But yeah some of those Konbini meals were actually pretty good

Neverf Forget the mexicANOn that started a wildfire.