Seriously, wtf did I just watch? I thought it was just gonna be another kaiju mecha show. Were the creators on drugs?

Seriously, wtf did I just watch? I thought it was just gonna be another kaiju mecha show. Were the creators on drugs?

No.

>20+ years on and people still don't get Eva
It's not even that hard to understand.
The last two episodes aren't exactly subtle about what the show is trying to say.

You just have to think about it for a while.

Have you heard of our Lady and Savior Rei Ayanami? It is said that when the end of days comes, Her and her Holy Host will descend upon the earth to judge both the living and the dead, and bring salvation to every soul.

Anno wasn't on enough drugs.

>Were the creators on drugs?
Please grow up.

>expecting anyone to sit through 40 minutes of pretentious 2deep4u PowerPoint presentations

They even retell a bunch of stuff the watchers already (supposedly) knew about the characters.

>2deep4u
How can it be when it spells out exactly what it's trying to say? The message is unironically "just be yourself".

>The message is unironically "just be yourself".
That's wrong though.

>I hate myself, but maybe I could love myself
It's saying that people who close themselves off from mankind do so because of trust issues and the only way to overcome these trust issues is to stop worrying about it and just take life as it comes.

Yes but it also means recognizing your faults and improve. If you are a shitty person you are just being an asshole with this whole "be yourself" attitude.

You watched the money run out.

That goes without saying. I feel sorry for people who interpret "just be yourself" as "continue to be a piece of shit".

what if deep down I'm just a piece of shit?

Then you can become the you that you want to be,user
Also, no one is just a piece of shit

Are the rebuild movies good? Is it just a retelling? Or is it a proper sequel?

Overrated crap, the tv adaption was objectively shit especially the ending, you need to watch the movies.

The first movie is a straight up remake of the first half of the tv series minus the filler episode. The second movie is mostly the same, but things start to get a little funky towards the end. The third movie comes off the rails compeltely from the show.

this tbqh, the movies focus on what matters, the tv adaptation is just weird and slow and boring.

>Also, no one is just a piece of shit
Lies. 90% of the population is worthless trash.

It is a proper sequel, that's how the story was meant to be right from the start

The rebuilds are shit, don't bother.

>Were the creators on drugs?
No, worse.

How are they shit? Is it the animation? Story? Script?

The main issues are the story, not at first since 1.11 does not diverge that much from the first 6 eps but especially starting 3.33 ; and the characters, which have been butchered, are not developped enough (rebuild is supposed to be a jumping point for new viewers, but if you haven't seen NGE you probably wouldn't give a shit about any of them), or reduced to an empty one dimensional shell of their NGE counterparts.

Animation is a hit or miss, the fight scenes are really good, but the overall use of (a lot of) CGI makes them paradoxically less engaging than the few you see in NGE because you really don't have the seem feel of weight of the EVA units and the angels.
And the digital colors are hideous compared to the watercoloring of NGE, especially the backgrounds, but maybe that's just me.

They are shit but you should watch them anyway so you can shitpost about them and form your own opinions, also to join the wait for the last movie

Anno had the perfect setup. He analyzed and dissected everything wrong with modern Japan and modern society. A city at the end of history, in which everyone is a bureaucrat, scientist or soldier. A city that can absolutely protect its inhabitants from nature (the angels), but which also isolates and imprisons them. The cost of this protection being that every contact with others is a potential threat, and every day is a struggle to survive and prevent the social and technological structure from falling apart.
Even Instrumentality can be seen as a literal melting pot where everything is turned into one and no further action or struggle is possible (or needed).
It could have been the perfect cyberpunk story. But they had to ruin it with the self-help bullshit in the end. Instead of staying subversive to the end, the story does a 180 and turns into a personal message, carefully avoiding to show anything that could be interpreted or misinterpreted as social criticism.

I like isolated frames like this one. Each member of NERV could just as well be on a desert island.

I actually don't think the "self help" stuff detracted from the social commentary

There is literally nothing to get about Eva.
Mindless talk is excellent at dissimulating depth.

Maybe you're right, I don't know. But as someone who used to be obsessed with NGE, a lot of my disillusionment comes from the fact that Anno got to a turning point where he could either wrap it up as a story about modernity and human nature, or as a story about virtual girlfriends and being an otaku. He made a safe choice instead of going in for the kill.

He did both, which is why EVA is so timeless and resonant. This is especially true of EoE in which the scope is applied to mankind as a whole. You’re also forgetting that the struggles of characters like Misato and Rei have a lot to do with social disconnection, and wouldn’t be relatable to the average otaku.

>wouldn’t be relatable to the average otaku.
I'm convinced that the need to make every plot and protagonist relatable to some sort of target is what weights town chink cartoons and makes them a sort of a second-rate medium compared to film or television.

Eva is better than 99% of films and television though.

>makes them a sort of a second-rate medium compared to film or television
Not even remotely true, nigger. Watch better anime.

You can be happy. Today people can say that it's shit, but when it was relased and for many years it was considered a cult, a messiah, the masterpiece etc... etc... finally people can laught at this pretentious garbage because in general the attitudine to japan productions its changed.

why do we have to have this thread every day?

I'm about to jump into rebuild 3.33, what am I in for?

Stupidness... Mari needs to eat a fucking bullet.

2.22 was kinda meh honestly. It felt like if you cut out some of the lewdness you could show it to a normie, it felt very sterile, it felt like it's edge, grittiness and balls were gone. Everything felt spacious, which is the complete opposite of the show.

until you like it

I haven't seen three yet but the other two were kinda meh.

The crushing realization that it will never end

For us to have multiple weekly threads about this show nearly two decades after its original release, gotta hand it to Anno for making something that has turned out to be timeless.

This, after 3+1 there will be a rebuild of the rebuild or whatever.

Well written characters are always timeless.
This is what you get when you manage to have an entire cast of these.

Honestly, I think one of the main weaknesses of those last episodes is that they largely exist to hammer in the same message that's been shown and not told throughout the entire show already. It's like Anno is repeating it more slowly and deliberately for the retards who think one of the girls is gonna leap into Shinji's arms and profess their love for him any moment now.

It weakens them a bit for people that have actually kept up to a decent extent.

EoE is, first and foremost, a film which depicts the absolute self-destruction of human society as a whole. And it's all our fault. The Angels contribute nothing to it. Gendo is perhaps the pinnacle of this, being destroyed by his own creation (Rei) and spending his final moments lamenting that even he, perhaps the most powerful man on Earth for a time, was scared of human society and interaction because of how painful it is. All in all, it seems to criticise society heavily to me, and weighing down the other side of the see-saw by telling Otaku that they can't therefore just blame society entirely and retreat into their shells is just a small part of that imo.

Also I am very, VERY sceptical of any argument which claims that Anno is just railing on Otaku throughout EoE. Especially that utter shit about the hospital scene that everyone just accepts and regurgitates without even thinking about what is going on in that scene. That's gotta be one of the most complex, interesting scenes I've ever seen in an anime and people devolve it to "lel Anno hates his fans" because god forbid they think for themselves for a bit.

I just see it as being from shinji's POV because his character just still doesn't understand yet.