Is it just me, or does 99% of "sad anime" feel overly contrived and artificial (ie. Angel Beats!)

Is it just me, or does 99% of "sad anime" feel overly contrived and artificial (ie. Angel Beats!).

Clannad AS and Grave of the Fireflies are the only two anime which were 'sad', probably because they did such a good job making the worlds, characters and their lives feel so realistic.

>literal fucking magic in a non-fantasy setting
>realistic

Y-yeah. Dem dragon balls gave the best route a great happy ending... ;_;

I don't think Casshern Sins was contrived or artificial.

>just kidding it was all a dream
Still mad

>Angel beats
Enough with this meme show.
There was nothing sad about it. I was so impressed by Clannad AS that I picked this Angel shits. Kept waiting for the sad part and the season was already over.
First I expected it to be a show about music as the name was Angel beats but no fucking way it literally had tenshi beating the people.
Fuck this show.

Japs barely understand emotion, it's a country of literal autists.

That's my only issue with the Clannad anime adaption. The orbs of light were explained so much better in the VN and left the ending of AS feeling like an asspull until I went and played the VN. It all made sense then. Still a masterpiece though

Why do people ignore the giant plothole at the end? How did Tenshi get into limbo before the MC if his heart was transferred into her and she was waiting there to thank him, so she obviously died first. I didn't cry at that show at all, though I did at Clannad AS and even fucking Plastic Memories

Wait, seriously? Is that actually why it's called Angel Beats? I've never seen this shit, is this a joke?

How many genuinely sad films have you seen? Very few for me. Film in general struggles with this.

It's called Angel Beats because the character named Angel/Tenshi was waiting in Limbo to thank the MC for donating his heart to keep him alive, that was her unsatisfied wish. So HEARTbeats

change him alive to HER alive

It doesn't take a lot to make me cry. I can see a commercial for an upcoming episode of a tv show I've never watched that implies something tragic happens and cry. So all those things you guys play off as usually get a response out of me. Varied responses though. Sometimes a couple of tears and sometimes outright bawling.

Watch SukaSuka. It's a fantasy setting that has decent world building, believeable characters and relationships.

>the only two anime
Wrong

Nippon residents lack english skills. They meant to write something different like attack of angel or something.
But in the end the title ended up being Angel Beats which makes sense as tenshi= angel and she beats people.

You sound like a crybaby

It wasn't a dream. Play the VN.

Never forget.

The problem is when the whole draw is DUH FEELZ! They get into the sad before we have time to give a damn about the characters and it never goes away. There are a lot of anime with sad moments that are very believable because the show doesn't revolve around it.

I have had that song stuck in my head for so long.
The anime blinded me.

I'm just the same. I cry at the drop of a hat. I remember crying during this show because a tree died.

The exception for me seems to be anything that Mari Okada touches, though. Her characters just act to weird and always have too little charisma imo. I can't bring myself to give a shit about them even when they go flying off the handle over minor conflicts.

blindsided*

Kobato was great. How was the anime?

My memory is pretty foggy since I watched it in 2009. I remember it being enjoyable but not amazing. I never read the manga, but if you enjoyed it then you might as well give it a watch.

Also, why don't real girls dress like Kobato?

Watch Haruhi endless eight that made me cry, in fact it made me want to rip my eyeballs out and bash my head against a brick wall.

Weird thing about Trigun is that the anime actually feels more subdued with it's sadness and more realistic. Whereas the manga tries too hard to get a rise out of you and ends up just seeming silly. Just compare Wolfwood's death in both, as well as Vash shooting Legato.

>Also, why don't real girls dress like Kobato?
Tell me about it.
My best guess is what's on TV, trending, etc.
Kinda sad.

I guess I am. Ryo wouldn't love me though.

I remember those bawl threads I used to lurk. They would post those fucking comics of the people that got caught in that some earthquake that had happened in China I think. Those hit me pretty hard.

The first thing that comes to mind when people make sad Sup Forums threads is Hampnie Hambert. Shigatsu got me bad too. That one episode of 18if. I think it was the third one with the sick girl.

things that are just a downer are inevitably just going to try harder and harder to up their ante for edginess' sake while other shows will go out of their way to avoid being sad at all because their audience doesn't want to be reminded that living is pain.

Why do some people get so worked up about time not matching up between the living world and the magical afterlife?
It's a crap show, but that isn't one if its problems.

>their audience doesn't want to be reminded that living is pain.
reminds me of the whole yoshino yousuke arc in AS.