Anime considered "bad" or "so bad it's good" that are actually unironically above average or great

-Kakugo no Susume/Apocalypse Zero

Funny (intentionally so), badass, surreal and very creative. OVA is underrated, manga is on a whole other level thanks to the Takayuki Yamaguchi artwork.

Other urls found in this thread:

sakugabooru.com/data/e7085a2d5e0e8900feb918e3437f4949.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=iPnUuuQdhJw#t=39m30s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mad Bull 34

MD Geist.
That's a great example too though, OP.

FUCK! I forgot to write "anime AND MANGA". You can list manga too, even just a manga with no anime.

OVA has some pretty good animation sakugabooru.com/data/e7085a2d5e0e8900feb918e3437f4949.webm

Manga looks great all the time.

Didn't like MD Geist 1 enough to watch Death Force, to be honest. I enjoy watching the AMVs with the Kageyama songs that just put together all the cool bits, but watching the whole thing from start to finish disappointed me. Aside from the protag being a total psycho there just wasn't much to set it apart in terms of setting and action and the art & animation felt outright poorly thought out (final battle with black mechs on a black background, what the fuck are you doing)

BUT I'm kind of amazed at how much better Genocyber from the same director looks. The color in particular in that one is amazing and the general art and animation are also a massive improvement.

I mean holy shit look at this: youtube.com/watch?v=iPnUuuQdhJw#t=39m30s

I actually liked Death Force more since it felt like Geist actually had things worthy of fighting.

I've checked out 3 different Kazuo Koike OVAs and Mad Bull 34 is the best by far. I could forgive people for taking the Wounded Man and Crying Freeman OVAs seriously because they remove a lot of the comedy and miss the point of the manga versions, but I suspect those who truly think Mad Bull 34 is meant to be a serious realistic American crime drama have crippling autism. The final episode was the closest thing to a serious story and even that one was wacky as hell.

OVA series is definitely above average but the manga for Mad Bull is straight up one of my favorite manga ever and the scanlation isn't even done yet. 3x3 mosaic material just based on what I COULD read. Fantastic comedy, kickass action, likable characters, amazing artwork full of hyper detailed ass kicking and super-varied comedy art that makes for perfect reaction face material.

The comedy moments are so expressive, it's a fucking goldmine.

Koike seems to pick really great artists he works with, and then brings out the best of them.

Hanappe Bazooka is the same with Go Nagai; I love the huge amount of completely silent moments where it's just the art telling the story. Some people who only do writing feel they gotta justify their writer credit by having text all the time, but Koike really understands the medium.

Also demon girl yuri.

Actually the OVA for Hanappe Bazooka might be better since it does treat the manga like a comedy (how can you not), maybe, but it's also one of those adaptations that packs multiple manga volumes (maybe even the whole thing?) into a single OVA so it could be a clusterfuck too. I'll have to watch it.

The manga is good by the way.

The Baoh OVA is good in terms of weird story and kickass well animated action but lacks characterization

Meanwhile the manga is glorious

It's about twice as long as the OVA and while it's still mostly action and weird shit it does enough to get you to care for the characters. The character designs are also better, some of Araki's best and most varied.

Most of manga by Yamaguchi outside Shiguri probably fall into the "so bad it's good " category.

Something intentionally funny, well drawn and extremely creative that you're laughing WITH (as opposed to AT) isn't "bad" just because it's low brow.

also Shigurui is full of silly shit too and it would've been very easy to force a meme that it's legendarily bad and only enjoyable ironically if you came in at the right place, at the right time

It's good if you're really into animation at least.

Mirai Nikki

This.

master of martial hearts

the only show I've considered dropping half way through the final episode
but i'm so glad I didn't

That post reads like ironic garbage, I'm talking about shit you legitimately like.

Most underrated anime I've seen period

>not posting literally the best thing ever animated

the Crying Freeman manga past the first arc

everyone says it gets bad. they're wrong

fuck it I'm storytiming Mad Bull for a bit

I love this ova unironically

fun times