War is bad

>War is bad
>Humans are evil
How did Go Nagai come up with such deep themes? Devilman is a masterpiece.

Other urls found in this thread:

ufile.io/hl8db
twitter.com/mazingerzjp/status/959371629967978499
youtube.com/watch?v=hkSRomEkrjg
youtu.be/NgGLFozNM2o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who says it's deep?

Not knowing the manga or anything shit caught me off guard, which was amazing.

The soundtrack and atmosphere was amazing.

No masterpiece, but for being entertaining af it's sometimes enough

Every page of Devilman made me laugh, it's all so silly and childish. Maybe I would've liked it better as a kid.

>deep themes?
themes themselves are incapable of being deep moron.

the depth comes from how said themes are explored.

Devilman can be as deep as the ocean or as shallow as a glass of water.

Case in point, they're not in Devilman

Is there anywhere where I can download the entire original devilman manga translated? Not seeing anything for it on nyaa

How is the manga compared to Crybaby?
They look so fucking weird.

>They look so fucking weird.
That's what they've looked like for 40 years. I felt like the anime and the manga had almost completely different atmospheres. The manga has much less sex, more named demons, Miki and Ryou have different personalities, the prelude to Akira becoming a Devilman is longer, the rappers are delinquents, no Miko, no running theme, etc.

Here's what the 80's OVA characters looked like

>Ore Kame

>tfw someone accepts mommy Satan into their heart

So cute

And that's good. if Devilman went too deep in its themes, we might be there for another 10 volumes. Crybaby respects that length with a clear beginning, climax and ending. That's what makes it such a rollercoaster. People would get bored otherwise. Devilman Lady is 17 volumes long, and frankly, it was too fucking much. It should have been 10 to make it a much better manga.

In fact, a lot of manga I read by guys like Tezuka and Ishinomori are like 2-5 volumes long.

ufile.io/hl8db for the unofficial complete edition. (Except without the redraws)

Dynamic Pro Scanlations for the original edition.

As I said, I feel that Crybaby's length was appropriate. I don't agree at all with the criticism that it needed more episodes.

People can watch the show in 2 sittings, but if it was 13 episodes for example, I bet your ass that many wouldn't complete it and the impact would lessen over more episodes. When people see that the show is only 10 episodes, they're encouraged to watch it.

Ok, so I just saw the last episode.

>Ryou is a sociopath so his childhood friendship with Akira feels empty
>why are you fighting me Akira
>fucking baton touch at least four times in a row
>UNDERSTANDING
>Psychogenie dies like a little bitch
>instead of the awesome apocalyptic fight we didn't get until years later in the manga, we get lots of fireworks and pew pew
>Akira saving Miko from those scientists and gathering the Devilmen is replaced wtih muh hugs and Miko gets this tiny cameo in the last episode
>the pacing is all over the place, somehow worse than Nagai's initial lack of planning

I wish I hadn't read the manga first, I would have probably been able to appreciate it more. Now I'm just disappointed, vaguely bored and annoyed at CB Ryou.

I can't believe you missed the point, it was all about fear and acceptance, humans turning into demons because of fear explicitly should have told you that.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, the spastic humour and fast pace of Crybaby was really true to the manga, I don't get why those are the things manga fans take the most issue with.

There's nothing childish about the pages especially in the last volumes, unless you're autistic. Devilman captured the horrors of the witch hunt very well. Nagai is underrated as an artist.

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

and in the case of Ishinomori manga, the ones that go on too long are the overrated ones like Cyborg 009 who get as much autism attached to their fanbase as you get on tumblr with Devilman.

I have no problem with the 10 episode length or the spastic humour. The problem with Crybaby is there were some scenes that were unnecessary. Take Koda for example. His arc ended up going nowhere and I would have cut him out of the show for a longer apocalypse.

Why is that other Go Nagai manga don't seam to be a stylish/artsy as Devilman.I also noticed that he used less screen tones in his older works.

Cyborg 009 is pretty good for the first 10 volumes, but you're right, it went on forfucking forever and Ishinomori couldn't even end it afterwards. He shouldn't have listened to fan backlash and continue the series past volume 10.

I didn't read the manga and I had similar problems with the show. It felt like half the stuff just happened to force the narrative and didn't really feel natural. Also Ryo was unlikable as all heck, which didn't help either.

I recently read the first Maou Dante and it's similarly artsy. Too bad the storyline is a mess.

He didn't get the appreciation he deserved for Devilman at the time so he decided to fuck it and just went for less artsy shit.

Devilman's critical success was built over time as many artists now claim to be influenced by it.

I like the story in that one but I bet Christfags would not.

The Ryu trilogy seems to get the themes the later 009 manga tried to do better. There's also Blue Zone which Shonen Sunday canceled at chapter 30, which seems like he recycled into that god's war idea.
It's proof less is more.

I liked the beginning in particular, when Ryou was in denial about him becoming a demon. I found his sorrow and despair quite touching.

Do you think they'd mind their god is a horse?

Go nagi,junji ito and Robert krumb are by far some of the best ink artists I have ever seen.

Go nagi has been a big influence on my own work.

>go nagi
never heard of him

>He didn't get the appreciation he deserved for Devilman at the time
It made him an instant legend and established him as a respected horror/sci-fi mangaka rather than just a successful gag mangaka.

Nagai,sorry I was too busy doing drugs to re read my post.

Mazinger Z eclipsed Devilman by far. I'd say in Japan they still prefer Mazinger. Just look at the enthusiasm for the latest animation movie.

twitter.com/mazingerzjp/status/959371629967978499

More deep than Eva pleb

>Inb4 some autist gets mad about a reaction image frog that's posted everywhere on this site

M-muh deep overanalyzed c-characters

Smart frog poster

It feels so wrong when I see crybaby/newer fans making images that compare it to eva,like they are saying devilman stole from eva.

But some scenes in crybaby did feel like they were taken from eva,feels dirty.

What did nagai mean by this

What if all those anime/manga names from that one image were actually titles influenced by Devilman, so Crybaby referenced them too?

Thiz fren

His design in this just looks wrong

Yeah, nice boobs, Satan, but your human form looks like a thirty-year old version of volume one Ryo.

You have something against 30 year olds?

Miki. ;_;

It's supposed to be a twist ending.Akira our hero saves a man from a demon that some day will kill millions of people.

Shin devilman also has some really great panels in it.

Rare Akira, Ryo and Miki.

youtube.com/watch?v=hkSRomEkrjg

I think he's talking about him looking like vol 1 Ryo,not about his age.

Bottom right will always be the best.

>the shit I put up with

The difference between modern cliches and Devilman is that Devilman's opposition to war comes directly as a result of the horrors of WWII which caused that generation of Japanese to turn away from militarism. The modern Japanese of course are fags for a different reason.

Why does Ryo never button up his shirt? It comes off like he wants to sleep shirtless but he's too much of a pussy.

Also it's extremely 70s in the fact they talk about the "over pollution crisis".
youtu.be/NgGLFozNM2o

>Ryou is a sociopath so his childhood friendship with Akira feels empty
This was a change for the better.

>>fucking baton touch at least four times in a row
This was KINO.

>UNDERSTANDING
This was what the original manga was about.

>>instead of the awesome apocalyptic fight
Shounenfags, everyone.

I see nothing wrong.

I read shin devilman twice and I swear to god it's supposed to be a shounen ai.

Akira and Ryo are shirtless most the time,theres no miki kinda,lots of scenes of them just playing together and having fun,it's the book that confrim's that Ryo is gay,Ryo kills one of Amons girlfriends and it contains this page!

He was a contrast to Miko. Use your brain.

>More deep

Dragon

Must have been hard to draw that one-handed.

>How is the manga compared to Crybaby?

Much better.

The only thing Crybaby has over the manga is the OST, for obvious reasons.

I like it. It gives him the proper school shooter vibe he has in the manga.

>He was a contrast to Miko
In what way? Because Koda was gay and Miko a lesbo?

The biggest difference in Crybaby is that the main theme of the story is empathy.

Devilman is more about paranoia driving people mad and meaningless revenge.Akira is not the Jesus figure he is in crybaby.Satan killed him humans in a act of revenge,Akira could of saved the earth and the devilmen if he didn't seek revenge for Miki's death.

Will we get -affordable- figures for this? The buyfag in me is raging right now.

what was the deal with Sirene?

As funny as Ryo's faces are in that story, I can't help but feel bad for him. He has no chance. Also, how come Miki and Akira are kissing and stuff in those new stories, while in the original manga they were obviously not a thing?

Wasn't uncle Go still a virgin when he first wrote Devilman?He had some dumb idea that if you stayed a virgin you'd get super good at art.
When in reality having sex or a girlfriend leads to a better understanding of complex relationships.

Tezuka and Ishinomori's Doctors?

Sorry I mean to say "I think he had".

she was worst girl

>i-it's not like I can't get laid! It's just for the sake of my work!
Kek

>satan will never be your mommy

The story is that Go Nagai's assistants and editors conspired to keep him a virgin for as long as possible so that he could keep making popular ero-comedy manga because they thought his virginity was the source of his mangaka perv powers. IIRC they formed a committee called something like the Go Nagai Virginity Protection Club or something silly like that.

But humans are evil and war is bad, you tremendous brainlet.

Read Susanoo

>Mazinger Z eclipsed Devilman by far
To be fair Devilman is hard to sell. It was a miracle they let him pull all the shit he did at that time.
Manga like Devilman is still more in Seinen territory even by today's standards.

>horrors of the witch hunt
Wish more people wrote about this. These days people just embrace the witch hunt and proudly take up the pitchforks.

It's apples vs organes. Devilman is a popular manga, it's definitely sold more than the Mazinger Z manga in addition to its critical acclaim. But Mazinger Z was a series that really pushed lots of toy merchandise and had a much bigger TV presence especially with kids.

O
MY
RUBBER
GOD

That is the most insane thing I've ever heard,but it was 1970's so I'll believe it.

damn I'm reading this for the first time and it's fucking gold

Reminds me of "caterpillar" (which I regret reading even more than devilman).

I came to Sup Forums some few months ago, looking for something different. After sampling some "classics"... holy shit just autistic are you fuckers?

Miko was hetero.
Koda joined demons, Mikos sided with humanity.

The Manga was amazing, Nagai himself can't even top it so I wouldn't expect crybaby to come close. I enjoyed crybaby for what it was.

Mommy lilith
Mommy mommy mommy mommy
Put me back in the womb mommy

>be Hideaki Anno
>gain fame and fortune just by copying Devilman all your life
That's how good Devilman is.

Anno made it gayer to get more fujobux

>be Kentaro Miura
>gain fame and fortune just by copying Devilman all your life

>be Suda51
>gain fame and fortune just by copying Violence Jack all your life
That’s how good Violence Jack is.

>be CLAMP
>gain fame and fortune just by copying Devilman

>you will never read about the adventures of Nagai's assistants trying to cockblock him in any way they could
I demand a manga about that. Anime if possible, as well.