How do we fix CGI anime...

How do we fix CGI anime? It's obvious that they will keep using this shit but they never actually plan on making it look good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z6nI0dQ1fSw
youtube.com/watch?v=hVMJxT3O9qA
youtube.com/watch?v=ns7jeST41SM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Watch better shows.

why dont people like meiko?

does she only have 2 good songs or something? I really really liked nostalogic when i first heard it.

I'm fucking disturbed that anyone thinks these look good. At best I can tolerate it for shows with good other content (just like with bad animation).
The worst is that they're starting to use CG for more and more things. First it was cars, then it was any moving non-human, then it was background characters, then it was important characters in certain situations. Toji no Miko is a good example for the latter.
At least cars are starting to look decent.

youtube.com/watch?v=z6nI0dQ1fSw

Somehow try to headhunt all the talented CG animators who are currently working in the games industry.

The peak of CGI already came, which was Etotama.

The peak would be some western movie with 100 times the budget of your regular anime.

Spend as much effort as GGXrd did. The problem for that in one cour TV series is that producing such consistent animation takes too much money and time. In a fighting game it works because the animation can be recycled so easiliy in the gameplay (ie. once you animate the character's moveset, you're good to go for years), but outside OP/ED and transformation scenes there aren't really any good excuses for TV animation to recycle footage and even those can be considered lack of effort from the studio (or at least that's what I thought back when Star Driver did it).

This, I don't mind CGI long as it's bearable though.

Etotama CGI was perfect though.

I meant in the context of anime

>I'm fucking disturbed that anyone thinks these look good
Houseki no Kuni and Juuni Taisen had impressive CGI though.

You need to watch more shows.

I predict the next step will be neural network based animation, prototypes will appear soon. It is even cheaper, and everything will look like kimi no na wa.

Houseki no Kuni does look good. OP's screenshot looks good too, but I don't know how it looks in motion. And it seems to be from a game.

>At least cars are starting to look decent.
I think the mistake with cars is trying to make them look hand-drawn, when they'd look better if they tried to match the backgrounds more and had lights and shadow and reflections applied to them. After the Rain for example is a very detailed and polished production, and the cars look ok but they still fall short of what they could and should have been.

The best car I have ever seen is in the OP to Clannad After Story (0:22). They applied reflection mapping to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=hVMJxT3O9qA

It's from the project diva arcade, it came out like 2010 and looks really dated.

youtube.com/watch?v=ns7jeST41SM

you can't, playstation graphics are here to stay.... enjoy your xenosaga

Needs to be more stylized, for example pic related. There's no reason anime can't use styles like this, and it could be great.

Kado was bad but had some great CGI

Show By Rock!! had really cute and nice cg for its live sequences, and I wish there were at least one short episode or so where everyone was just moving around as cute CG myumons doing cute CG myumon things.

Get ASW to teach them how to do proper cellshading or whatever it is they do with guilty gear and dbfz

That looks great.

Anime producers should just give up on using CG to simulate 2D.

Do not worry, citizen. The Anime Industry has decided that it will focus on improving cg technology for use by its domestic animation industry, so that Japan can finally catch up to West and be part of the 21st century.
The Anime Japan 2018 expo will have its production panel focus and show the progress and the upcoming technology projects that the industry has made on that field.

But Love Live Sunshine episode 12's performance shows that CG can come very close to emulating 2D. I don't know why anime cg is usually so trashy.

It looked fucking shit, kill yourself.

It depends on what kind of CG is, and with tight schedules and production happening all over the place (instead of under one roof) it's hard to get it to look good.

Eh, that is very simple. Not enough time, not enough experience, not enough care. The good cg artists in Japan are all in the video game industry, not slaving away for ramen cup noodles in the anime industry.

Never.

>How do we fix CGI anime
Stop being paranoid about it, that's how.

Yeah good CG is for special or repeated scenes. They can usually allocate a fair amount of time to them so they get the chance to look good - EG: An ED animation won't change at the last minute and is repeated all season, so they can dump the CG art intern and a mocap mangler in a corner for a couple of weeks and get something that'd otherwise take 5-10 animators the same amount of time to do, is more technically clean, as well as providing assets that can be used in other situations.
Little girls idol shows love CG performances because they just roll out the same one every week with a different dress.

The problem is when they try and do CG on a drawing timeline. CG requires setup time, whereas drawing can change instantly.

3D animators on average earn a million yen more per year than 2D animators.

Simple. More budget, more effort + cel shading and more traditional shading.

Alternatively, developing better and more useful applications that the 2d animators can now learn and use to replace their outdated craft.

Why did the guy kill himself if his daughter defeated the endboss anyways?

There's nothing outdated about hand-drawn animation.

The anime industry said it's shit. Don't ever bother them ever again.

Almost every show is hand-drawn.

Everything that is old is 20th century shit. 21st century stuff must now be CG. It's [current year] after all.

Burn it.

Who are you trying to strawman here?

Japan could use Disney movie-tier CG one day and you fags would still whine about how it looks like shit and it's killing the industry and that CG is bad.

Don't worry about the autism of some one lonely guy who wasted his entire life being an unsuccessful 2D animator.

Disney moving from 2D to 3D is the greatest failure of human race.

Houseki no Kuni has to be the best example of CGI in anime.

It owns that uncanny valley effect because the characters are meant to look like an imitation of humans. And all the elaborate effects are beautifully done, couldn't be done with typical animation.

That would be the lineage that spawned you

Thank god it doesn't. Fuck modern western 3D animation garbage.

My dad is a Disney 3D animator

>implying i wouldn't drop anime if that happens

Sup Forums will embrace the future.
Anime Expo 2015 predicted that streaming would become important for the industry. And it nowadays does.

Anime Expo 2018 says that CG is the future. Expect CG to be more prevalent by 2020, amounting for at least 25% of all works coming out then.

Japan is like 30 years behind Disney and Pixar. Fucking Toy Story looks better than any 3D anime ever made.

I don't see how that's going to work. You can't make 3D anime like 2D anime where the work is divided among many studios and freelancers, and there are some economic reasons why 2D anime is done like that. 3D animators are also paid more money.

Japan isn't 30 years behind, Toy Story doesn't look better, and making 3D animation is about more than the technology anyway.

As a first step, know what you're talking about. All anime is CGI nowadays. The term doens't mean what you think it means.

CGI has always been used to mean computer-generated effects, and in the context of anime it means mostly 3D animation. As opposed to the hand-drawn animation, which isn't generated by computers.

>Celfag elitist arrives
Thanks. Now the thread is finally complete.

Quite simple. Train the upcoming generation of animators into using 3D animation, instead of wasting their time on being inbetweeners.
Inbetweening shit can be outsourced to worthless SEA countries. And once the inbetweening algorithms are good enough, even the outsourcing can finally be dropped. No need to ever deal with the worthless SEA countries ever again.

Cars still look like back when Initial D 1st Stage aired in most shows.
Juuni Taisen had some subtle 3D at first but later overused it, the rabbit thing at the end looked like total garbage, the show was bad anyway though

In-betweening is a training phase for key animators, and in-betweening is something that can be done poorly or well. And this doesn't explain why having so many 3D anime productions would work.

Everyone knows what he's referring to you aspie child

Fuck off faggot

One of the big problems of cg anime productions is that there's tons of models being made for shows that are only 12 to 24 episodes, and some of those models are only used for one or two specific scenes then anyway, which means lots of wasted resources.
Perhaps studios ought to start sharing the models they have made, put it into some huge national databank from which they can all use the best ones available. Recycle some art.
Reuse the cg car from that one other show in a new show, with a slightly different texture.

Then everything will look like cookie cutter garbage, instead of distinct garbage. The problem is overreliance on the tech and not enough people with skill in the trade, look at berserk, no amount of money or advances in technology can hide a clear lack of anyone who has a fucking clue what they're doing

Eh, it's just shitty cars. Just use them, like everyone in the west uses the wilhelm scream.

But i hate the wilhelm scream

when these 32 cores and 64 threads become 300USD.

because a lot of NRS rendering require a lot more horsepower and animating time, which can be easily cut down by more powerful computers giving it more time to polish it

maybe they could do it like the new dbz game

The cutscenes in the DBZ game and guilty gear look like shit, the actual animations during gameplay are fine.

do they? I remember sign essentially being a VN with 3D models with a small background at the center which looked fucking dumb but revelator was pretty much a movie from what I recall. haven't played dbfz's story mode yet.

This looks actually kinda good. Not sure if it would work for a full anime but the characters look good enough.