Promised Neverland interview with Jump editor:

Promised Neverland interview with Jump editor:

>The story is, at its core, the tale of children fighting bravely against adversity for the sake of staying alive.
>Shirai went with his really long story draft for Jump a few years ago. Certain editor really liked it and decided to help him turn it into a weekly series and find an artist for him. That process took around 3 years.
>The core concepts and the main characters from the original draft remained the same. The editor decided to keep them that way to not kill the appeal. The dark setting or the fact that the main character was a girl despite it being a shonen series were interesting because they were unusual.
>Editor was happy Shirai and Posaku hit up almost immediatly
>Around six months were spent on the character designs. The demons in particular were very important to design. They needed to look scary but also cool.
>The main genre of the manga is SUSPENSE so the story has a lot of cliffhangers and mysteries.
>There are many dark manga in other magazines or in net manga that rely on violence or erotic content for appeal. That wouldn't have flied in Jump. Thankfully, Shirai and Posuka decided to focus on the bravery of the children confronting seemingly impossible situation.
>The serialization is getting to the turning point of the story. From here on, many mysteries will be revealed and many dramatic developments are going to happen.
>During this year and the next, the editorial department of Jump is going to work hard to delivery the excitement and appeal of Neverland ways other than manga. Please look forward to it.

mantan-web.jp/article/20180203dog00m200015000c.html

>>During this year and the next, the editorial department of Jump is going to work hard to delivery the excitement and appeal of Neverland ways other than manga.
Oh god no, not again. Don’t put your setting-crucial information on freaking websites or anything again

It probably means anime or live-action adpatation.

>(...) that process took around 3 years
>around six months were spent on the character designs
Damn

How would a videogame work?

They should be happy it turned out to be a hit. Imagine it getting cancelled after all that hard work.

I keep hearing people say from this interview that the story is 50% done and the other half saying it just reached a turning point, so which is it? Because the story ending in 70ish chapters and ending in the mid 100 chapters as opposed to the early-mid 200 chapters seems so rushed for the amount of world building potential there is

>live action adaption
>predominantly white cast with names like Emma, Norman and Gilda will be played by japanese actors
Please no, Ray is literally the only one who can pass as Japanese

Turning point is the exact translation.

They should adapt it as a Netflix original produced by Del Toro.

What is meant by turning point though? Is it just a way to say things are really shaping up storywise or is turning point often used to describe 50% or halfway done in manga series? Because i'm not sure how so many people got that from "turning point"

In literary criticism, turning point could mean halfway through or a big change in the story.

Lets hope it's the latter then

I think Neverland will run around 20-25 volumes, anyway.

Hopefully, 15-16 volumes is just not enough to do the remainder of the story and upcoming plotlines justice

To be fair, even if it was halfway through it would end at 18 volumes. Neverland already has enough chapters for 9 volumes with chapter 73.

>>Editor was happy Shirai and Posaku hit up almost immediatly
thanks jump super push

Turning point would also describe the escape from gracefield - so it could be anything from "we finally find out whether norman is actually dead", to "they rescue phil and the other gracefield house kids" to "we find out what the final win condition or goal for the kids is, beyond the vagueness of them just escaping to the human world"

it could also be that they escape to the human world and have to survive on the run from both demon and human authorities

but this happens with almost every series. why do you think horikoshi became depressed and thought about giving up being a mangaka after bulge be canceled with 16 chapters?

plus: six months for the monsters, right? the main characters are very whatever visually.

Yeah but considering the amount of plotlines we have remaining there's no way that should all be done in 73 chapters, I mean in the current 73 chapters we have took 38 just to escape gracefield, 12 to reach B06-32, 10 chapters just to leave for Goldy Pond, we've spent 4 chapters travelling to and 8 chapters in Goldy Pond and the arc isn't even over yet. In the future we're looking to cover
>ending the Goldy Pond arc
>Lucas and noname reunion
>the mysterious girl who saved Lucas all those years ago
>getting back to the shelter
>preparing for the liberation and rescue of the kids at Gracefield in two years time
>modern demon world societies
>lambda 7214 plantation
>Norman reunion
>7 walls
>the Tifari and the demon god with the unpronounceable name
>breaking the Promise
>all out war
>Peter confrontation
We need 100-150 in the least and Jump would be idiots to not slow down a cash cow like Neverland which started selling big bucks only a few volumes ago.

Wait, I can't remember, how old are the oldest kids?
I was thinking Minerva looks an awful lot like Norman, and they've specified that shit went down 2031 while it's now 2046.
That's 15 years.

Could Norman be Minerva's son that was sent to the plantation after the betrayal or something?

That recent infodump that Emma got really bugs me though, this is poised to turn into Demon-Human political drama and I don’t think I can sit through multiple arcs of that, especially when I have no reason to care for the demons or the humans factions

How demon society works and looks like is actually what I want to see the most

It is perfectly possible, since the story is an infodumpfest. Just have a volume with them explaining everything and voilá.

Shouldn't you be waiting for the toc thread to shitpost about this again?

>>Editor was happy Shirai and Posaku hit up almost immediatly
Their marriage is being engineered and cheered on by the universe itself.

Well it's not like that's the only thing they did. Usually they have many proposals and see which one is good enough.

maybe a point and click with art made by posuka?

>this much time
Hacks, Kubo can chug out a dozen designs and plotlines in 1 month.

>Wait, I can't remember, how old are the oldest kids?
In Grace Field, they're specifically 11, cause they get shipped as soon as they turn 12. So Norman can't simply be James' biological son unless James had him a few years after escaping the murder attempt on him and going into hiding, but why would he smuggle him into a farm? If Norman is related to James, he has to be a biological clone rather than a son.

I don't know how to describe it, but a game that plays through the regular storyline and similar in playstyle to those pixel sprite games like corpse party, Ib, Misao, the crooked man etc.

jRPG

Agreed. Some sort of puzzle RPG like Witch's House or Ib would be pretty fitting.

what?! horikoshi is psouka's husband

Horikoshi died of Japanese cold while drawing the yakuza compound arc.

posuka resurrected him with a kiss

the main character should be a lesbian

Shipperfags would sudoku en-masse if Emma doesn't end up with Norman

Manga is serious business.

Now you know why authors who get their series canned in 3 months go suicidal.

Do they actually?

I don't know about suicide, but Shirai was going to quit manga if Neverland didn't work.

It was actually being an author that Shirai attempted but got rejected loads of times, I think Neverland was his first ever shot at manga along with the Poppy's wish oneshot he did with Posuka and that other oneshot he did solo.

>but Shirai was going to quit manga if Neverland didn't work.
Kishimoto, Horikoshi and ONE too. Not having a successful job is something very shameful for the japanese culture.

See the hikikomori*