Do you prefer anime or manga?

Do you prefer anime or manga?

Neither.

Manga, I don't have time for anime recently.

there are a lot more very good manga than very good anime.

if I had to only choose one form of cartoons to consume I would definitely choose manga because there are far , far more worthwhile stories there.

Audiobooks.

I still watch an anime or two a year, but I'm 99% a manga reader at this point. I'm actively following at least a dozen series at any given time, usually chipping away at some completed ones, and my backlog is even bigger. I find that the lack of colour doesn't usually inhibit my enjoyment much, and being able to move at my own pace is way better than watching something unfold.

I wish we had a manga board. A slow board where threads from less popular series could stay up for some days would be nice.

Manga

There are a metric fuckton of small-time manga that will never get animation adaptations for financial reasons, but they're popular in print form that they have successful / complete runs. Also anime is known for cutting scenes outright, or saving money with QUALITY scenes that aren't very important.

Anime has its place but manga is just too strong. There's a reason manga is completely normal for all walks of life in Japan while anime is children and otaku only.

>read manga
>art is detailed
>panels are well paced
>story is concise
>can read an entire series in a day

>watch the anime adaptation
>art is simplified, animation is bad anyway
>everything is now in garish colour, previously monochrome characters are revealed to have teal hair for some fucking reason
>episodes are 20% establishing shots
>soundtrack is shitty jrock
>poorly written filler episodes added in for good measure
>watching the entire series takes 2 weeks

I have higher highs watching anime, but the general time I have reading manga is more enjoyed.
I can also enjoy many more genres in manga form than anime. any type of killing/survival game manga I can dig and appreciate, but I despise watching that type of anime. same goes for most isekai

Manga obviously. It's made by one person and you get to see the exact imagination and ideas of that person in action. The most meddling you could say it has is some editor giving notes to the author.

With anime it's usually at least 50+ guys to make it, a huge investment from a studio and several voice actors. So much is riding on it that it loses that raw emotion and feelings the author wants to give to the world and more about making your investments back.

Why isn't there an manga board? I would love to post about manga all day instead of reading about all the waifu wars shows people nowadays watch...

Manga

Definitely prefer Manga, but it's still nice to watch an anime or two once in a while.

Are you trying to say that there aren't "waifu wars" manga?

Visual audiobooks.

Manga

Manga

more interesting stories
A manga board would be the /jump/ board, but maybe we can move all the battle shounen threads there.

There's an ecchi board, a cute board and two hentai boards + /u/ & /y/ and a western comics board
but no specific manga board

/lit/ a shit for example

Visual novel >manga > anime

>168039353

Manga. Art is generally better and you don't have to really worry about shitty animation which makes up the majority of anime series. You also don't turn into those people that miss out on a lot of stuff that happens in the story because the anime prematurely ends or is far behind the story of the manga. I don't get the people who require color and voices and would rather put up with all the downsides of anime over just reading the manga.

There's also plenty of good manga that will never get anime adaptations.

manga no contest. i don't even watch anime anymore

panties > visual novel > manga > anime

Anime.

Generally like manga more but waiting for monthly series to update can be a massive pain

Manga > Light Novel > Anime > WN > VN > Game

Next chapter when?

Both

Stop reposting this thread, holy fuck.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - a manga board would be mostly populated by crossboarders from Sup Forums, who mainly watch anime, and just want to talk about the same mainstream series that can already sustain regular threads on Sup Forums (and things with seasonal anime adaptations). Your weird fantasies where somehow waifufags would disappear and people would pop out of the woodwork to discuss obscure stuff would not happen. You would be creating a board that was 90% redundant (and splitting a community mostly composed of the same people) in order to let a small fraction of the threads there survive for a few hours longer than they would here.

Anime is better

>good looking manga with cool story
>anime adaptation is full CGI and looks like garbage while making substantial changes to the manga's story
Every time

Thank you. I thought I was the only one to prefer anime over manga.
Also, it's weird that everytime this question pops up everyone says manga is better, yet the board is over 90% anime discussion.

Because it's 90% people who only watch anime. The manga people just have to settle for what they can get even if they'd rather discuss manga. There's plenty of manga I'd like to discuss but if I make a thread for them they'd get like 5 replies max and then die.

It's just response bias, the people who bother to go into threads like this are usually manga readers.

Manga. I only ever watch original anime. Do any of you fags actually like LNs?

I think a manga board would be nice if people on Sup Forums were actually interested in the niche shit that really shows how creative japs can be. Unfortunately most of the good stuff never makes it to the scanner and I can only say I've read it because I live in Japan.

That just means it would be a slow board, which would be fine and allow manga threads to last. It's a better idea than fucking /bant/ was.

Used to watch a ton of anime but now I only read manga.

Manga. I barely watch anything these days.

That doesn't answer my question. If the board is really 90% people who prefer anime, then why don't the answers to this thread reflect it?
That's possible. Sadly if this is true, then it kills the point of asking the question in the first place.

It depends. In case of adaptions, original is better 90% of the time, and much of anime is manga adaptions. Though I did enjoy Made in Abyss anime more than manga.

Sounds like bullshit, to me desu. /jp/ certainly ended up a very different board, I don't see why manga would fail to create something equally unique.

>If the board is really 90% people who prefer anime, then why don't the answers to this thread reflect it?
They're too engrossed in their fotm seasonal show threads to come into this thread.

Why don't you scan it user?
Do you just browse stores?

I read it but anyone who says it's better than manga or anime is lying.

The problem with a manga board is that most people only really want to discuss a manga after it gets an anime, and forcing a fanbase to divide itself into two boards to discuss the same topic would be an unneeded hassle and pain in the ass. Inevitably you'd have to make concessions and either let anime threads on /man/ or allow anime-related manga threads on Sup Forums and either case would make the separation a waste of time and servers.

Fuck you OP for reminding me about this will-never-end chinese comic. OP is truly a faggot

Manga.
I like how it's more personal to one or two artists and how pubishing laws aren't as strict as TV laws as for what you can show.
I also find that bad or average manga are way more digestible than they are as anime since they don't ask as much investment. Shit like copy/paste isekai and formulaic trope-riddled romcoms only work because is comes out sparsely.

>tfw no LoGH vol 4 audiobook

It wouldn't be a waste of servers.
Slow boards are easy to serve.

I don't read LNs because fuck actual reading (manga doesn't count, it has pictures), but I enjoy plenty of ainme/manga based on LNs.

I've only been to /jp/ a few times and wasn't here before the split, so I can't really answer that, but looking at the manga threads on Sup Forums, I just don't see the kind of community/atmosphere that manga-board advocates seem to think the new board would have.

Please let everything from the /spg/ arguments remain locked away forever. That was some of the worst metaposting I've ever seen.

Manga, no contest. It's just great to discover new obscure stuff and finish it in a single night while appreciating how every single panel is well placed and filled with details.

Even if the anime is a 1 to 1 adaptation of the manga the discussions are still different because of the difference in how far each are. You can see this in the CCS threads where there was no discussion about Clear Card before the anime started and now with it running the anime and manga people are theorizing about different things because they both have different levels of info about what's happening.

With a manga board the threads would be up for longer and so could potentially attract more people than how quickly the same thread would die on Sup Forums. And you wouldn't have half the thread talking about stuff that has already been explained in the manga.

I see. Asked because there's been more than one series I dropped after trying to get into the LNs.

I'm not smart enough to understand what this is trying to tell me, can someone explain?

only thing anime truly has over manga is that the anime is guaranteed to end and be translated (even if the ending is rushed or filler).

several manga you wait for years to be translated and by that time the manga itself is cancelled. Had that shit done to be so many times I'm kinda worn down at manga.

Anime-only people don't click on threads with a manga image in the op. It's as simple as that.

really it's not much light novels so much as web-novels (which is even worse).
only two series I've read to the very end and one of them is Chinese

The communities that form boards rarely exist beforehand. They almost always develop afterward as the board develops its own culture. It doesn't really seem like you've been around for any new boards, or at the very least you've never been a part of that intial push to to help define what the board will be.

It literally just says "Manga discussion is a fraction of discussion on Sup Forums but would be 100% of discussion on a manga board." It's a pointless graph dressed up to look fancy, it was used for shitposting during that "There can be one thread to discuss the rules" bullshit Hiro did a year or so ago.

Visual novel > anime > manga > light novel > west shit

Tier 2/3 mangas can't be discussed on Sup Forums but could be discussed on a manga board.

Why don't you go back?

Anime for action, definitely. It must be some sort of autism, but I can't follow action very well in still images.

I legit think some of them benefit from adaptations since a lot of filler and exposition gets cut off.

>at the very least you've never been a part of that intial push to to help define what the board will be
Guilty as charged, but my impulse is still to think that the overlap in community, and the huge presence of casual manga readers, would make a mostly-redundant board. Maybe you're right, I don't know, but that's just how I see it.

>the anime is guaranteed to end and be translated
Guaranteed, you say?

I prefer Manhua

99% of the time your gookshit is as bad as what China puts out. Absolute garbage.

>one good manhua
Well, at least you didn't say webtoons

I think you'd be surprised, i only come on Sup Forums for certain manga posts and just ignore the rest because it's only about anime. I would post a lot more if there was a manga board.

Manhua is chikshit. Manhwa and webtoons is gookshit and the real cancer.

I feel manga strikes the right balance between being personally driven while having quality control.

some say light novels all look the same because of some corporate mandate but I feel they have more independence then mangaka, they just use that independence to write what's basically fanfiction of their favorite harem series starring themselves.

Ah, my bad, thought it was just a typo

I started with anime but these days I read a lot more manga

What is wrong with Manhwa? Because they just copy whatever theme a manga already did 10 years ago? Their shit is on par with the generic isekai garbage Japan shits out every year.

Light novels are so fucking trash
I can't understand how anyone can read through that shit
It might just be bad translations but holy shit

>Their shit is on par with the generic isekai garbage Japan shits out every year.
Yes, that's the problem.

>not having a higher standard than isekai

though I like some of the chickshit the artwork is always either "actually pretty good" (like your pic) or "complete eyecancer" with no middle ground

about the same quality of trashy isekai but can't even indulge in the wish fulfillment because they constantly try to make it unlikable.

Better than most manga desu.

>no background
>replacing screentones with garbage two-tone coloring and filters out the ass
>instead of clever panelling you get garbage individual images designed to be scrolled past on a phone
>writing is literally bottom of the barrel isekai-tier
Explain to me what is better, exactly.

I can't find Tensei and reset plots in more respectable mediums.

>instead of clever panelling you get garbage individual images designed to be scrolled past on a phone.
Thats a medium difference shithead. Do you also think books are worse than manga for not having drawings?

They're the same medium, comics. Manhwa just happens to be the shittiest subsection of the medium.

See

I hardly watch anime lately, but I'm reading a lot of manga. I prefer watching comfy anime and reading action manga most of the time though since voices are nice for the prior, and animation is almost always bad in the later.

Manga

Manga, most of the time.
However for some SoL (e.g. Natsume Yuujinchou), I have to say that the anime is way superior, mostly because their music can vastly improve your enjoyment level.

Well, i personally hate manwha too but at least they don't pretend life is over after your older than 20 and then your only job in life is to make money for other people. That really irks me about the Japanese.

>i read an incredibly small subsection of a large publishing industry and project its cliches across the whole thing

Not him, but you sound like you don't read much manga.

Overlord LN is pretty good imo. But yeah, other than that, it's just harem shit over and over again.

Don't know whether we actually disagree or not, but I do consider "subsection" characteristics as distinct from quality.

>Incredibly small
I don't think that applies only to isekai user.

You shouldn't. It makes almost all manhwa fucking garbage. They use it as an excuse not to draw backgrounds. I'll note, there were several other critiques in that post that you've ignored. Manhwa fucking sucks.

Why is hiromoot so stubborn about not creating a manga board? I'm not sure if it's just a vocal minority in here, but there seems to be enough demand for one.