Is he a hack?

Is he a hack?

Other urls found in this thread:

screenrant.com/john-lasseter-pixar-return-allegations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends, do you like him?

why do you think that? because he criticised your girly cartoons?

It makes me laugh when Sup Forums got triggered when he said Tom & Jerry is his favorite western anime.

>girly cartoons
Nope. He has made girly cartoons himself. I don't think you understand his complaints.

You think he wouldn't put so many panty shots and butt closeups in his films. Even Tomino complained about this.

He's a curmudgeonly old king that refuses to move from his throne, but he's anything but a hack. He doesn't prey on the nearest opportunity to make a quick buck, nor does he go back on his stance for the sake of exposure. Miyazaki, if anything, is THE point of not being a hack because he's so stubborn in putting his vision and the lessons he wishes to impart forward to his staff (Who, I will admit, do have a right to be frustrated at being employed by him--the man is fucking strict) and anyone wishing to make their mark in the industry to put the hours in rather than just picking up a cel and a brush to draw cute girls under the age of 16 flashing their butts. I mean, dude, one of his complaints--or observations, can't tell which is which--is that he thinks studios and animators don't know the first thing about what life is about and putting it to their artform.

This is a guy who sends his staff out on the streets to just draw people walking around and living their lives. I probably wouldn't survive as his disciple for more than 48 hours, but I'd definitely treasure the experience.

>He's a curmudgeonly old king that refuses to move from his throne, but
Didn't he retire several years ago?

yes

no, he's a very skilled director (even though his movies are kind of samey)
he's also more or less right about otaku pandering and tropefest writing being the cancer of this medium (too bad he won't show this in his work)

I meant that by he refuses to budge from a stance he believes is the right one by a country mile. His criticism of anime being lifeless and "unresonant" with life does hold some value to this. It's a wonder that the Yakuza-held anime studios haven't roughed him up to start spouting their like instead of their dislike.

He's the opposite of a hack. The thing is, I don't care about anime as art. I only care about anime as entertainment.

Yeah...that. He's part of that postwar generation in Japan who believed in working 20 hour days relentlessly until dropping of exhaustion. Japanese Millenials rebelled against this mentality entirely and prefer to be slackers who want to quickly and lazily draw 12 year old girls doing /u/shit.

Multiple times. Ever since Yoshifumi Kondo, the director of Whisper of the Heart, died from a heart aneurysm caused by being overworked. This was over twenty years ago, and this caused Miyazaki to "retire" for the first of many times to come.

And even though he's retired from major projects, he still does small ones to keep himself busy.

>he's retired from major projects
Not anymore! He's doing one more final feature-length movie.

I don't expect you to believe me on this, but I have a friend in Korea whose animation mentor was a trainee/staff/animator under Miyazaki. Miyazaki isn't just old school. According to my friend's mentor(and this is just second hand knowledge), Miyazaki doesn't just want to see good art, either. He wants to see people IMPROVE. Miyazaki's been over hundred if not thousands of portfolios, yeah, but he's not entirely cruel to dismiss everyone as trash ... but he will jump no your ASS if he doesn't see any significant or acceptable levels of improvement in your time working under him. I don't know how his mentor feels about this, but from what I can gather, it really feels like going to school all over again.

Don't know how much people think this is applicable, though. Just thought I'd share it.

>Japanese Millenials rebelled against this mentality entirely and prefer to be slackers who want to quickly and lazily draw 12 year old girls doing /u/shit

Oh well, still better than the old git's pretentious feminist/environmentalist propaganda movies.

Miyazaki is good. Until you get to the politics, and then it's unwatchable.

I don't quite believe it, but only because it sounds surprisingly reasonable and much less like what I'd expect.

Perhaps you heard how in the 70s, he was working on a Pippi Longstocking film but kept getting into arguments with Astrid Lindgren for making Pippi too cutesy for her taste.

Takahata and Miyazaki did another anime about a redhaired girl eventually.

The guy is kind of an old hippie and his politics are very much of the 60s-70s.

That was Anno

>This autist.

No.

All of his movies are extremely popular and in my opinion pretty good.

He is a master of his craft. He might be a little pretentious or contrarian at times but there is always a layer of truth in what he says.

Keep that plebbitspacing going, Mr. Anime. I'm genuinely interested in your review.

As I said, that postwar generation believed in working to the point of collapse. Even when they had the Fukishima earthquake, quite a few elderly people turned out to help with the cleanup since they believed they needed to help as much as they were still physically able to and since they were old anyway, they didn't care if they got exposed to radiation. It's a very different mentality from the Western world.

That's it.
The spacing seemed appropriate in the little square I get to type in but I always forget to take into account that even though it looks like a block of text in the square and that spacing might make the content easier to read, once posted it might end up being a single line.

>This is a guy who sends his staff out on the streets to just draw people walking around and living their lives.
This is good. In fact, it is great.

He's also obsessed with the idea that little girl characters should actually sound like a little girl and not a 40 year old chain smoking woman trying to sound like one and is willing to try out like 50 different voice actors until getting one that he thinks sounds correct.

What an absurd man! Next he'll want his employees to have hobbies and live a real life so that they better understand how to reflect that in their work.

But I mean, he's not wrong when he says all art has to come from life and that art dies when it becomes inbred. Like say a metal band that only listens to other metal records instead of a wide variety of genres and incorporating bits and pieces of them into their sound.

Didn't Shigeru Miyamoto force them to redo all the water levels in Super Mario Sunshine because he wasn't satisfied with how the water looked? I seem to remember reading that.

I mean if it's within the budget and they will make deadlines then this is a completely reasonable request.

Yeah but his aren't sexualized - if you see them that way then you have some issues most likely.

I guess Tomino had issues then. :^)

>War is bad yo

>Make a film glorifying the designer of the Zero Fighter

What did he mean by this?

Wasn't the core of that movie that the dude had greater aspirations and was really passionate about planes but that reality had him create them as killing machines instead?

Something like that?

The film is still about war being bad. It's like Einstein and the nuclear bomb.

Think of it like this, "This just in, Big Anime Legand 'Hayao Miyazaki' found beaten and bruised in an alleyway last night in Ohsaka Japan."

The news would go NUTS.

>mfw I'm a strong independent woman who don't need no land travel

I thought Japan didn't like him? Or, at least, I gather from 2ch, they think he should have been dead a long time ago. Seems like they'd ruffle the guy to get him out of the way or bend him to their standards ... but maybe I'm missing something obvious here.

Big Name = Bad Target?

>I thought Japan didn't like him? Or, at least, I gather from 2ch
How autistic can one man be?

Hey, I'm just asking a question. I already clarified that I don't kind of get the it because I'm probably not able to properly adjudge the situation, but from what I understand, if he went missing, the industry wouldn't give a shit about him and would be all the gladder for it. So I'm actually asking what's stopping them from strong-arming him into being their spokesperson or if not, into submission? Happens frequently enough the rest of the world.

>2chan speaks for all of Japan.

There's your problem. 2chan doesn't really speak for everyone living there no more than what /jp/ does here.

>Big name=Bad target?

Absolutely, think of it like this; you are Mafia leader and you own a sizable animation Company at the same time as Walt Disney is alive; Disney says something insulting or harsh on the majority of Cartoons around the time. Do you:

A) Risk the possibility of exposing yourself as a Mafia leader by going after him?

or

B) Keep your business safe by staying out of the limelight of the situation and just leave it be keeping your reputation AND business safe?

He's right, you'll feel better when you accept it

Ah, right. I'm an idiot on that, then. I don't get much of what people in Japan really think about him. I always thought they looked at him as this "old guy that needs to go" sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

No problem.

Imagine being his worthless son for a moment

>An hour into Tales from Earthsea, Miyazaki bolted from the theater to have a cigarette, saying, “It feels like I was sitting there for about three hours.”
>Miyazaki returned and watched the rest of the film. When it finished, he was asked for what he thought. He replied, “I saw my own child. He hasn’t become an adult. That’s all.” He paused and then said, “It’s good that he made one movie. With that, he should stop [making movies].”
Nothing but trash, you fucking manbabies

Definitely not a hack, his work stands on its own
Probably overrated though.

I really don't get the Miyazaki hate.
I understand not liking his movies. Like if you're not into anime. But people who frequent this board are probably into anime.
Going from there I don't get how you could dislike him. His movies at their worse are still above average.

The guy is a huge SJW who thinks Japan should own up for their actions during WWII which as you can imagine has gotten him onto the enemies list of right-wing groups.

I don't think anyone is claiming Astrid Lindgren was a pedophile because her stories commonly had child nudity in them.

>Crime scene was first witnessed and shot on camera by famous USA youtuber Logan Paul which sparked additional controversy

Man, that is so disappointing. I can't even think about raising a child and having them be such failure. How his son turned out to be so poor at filmmaking/media is unbelievable. Maybe I'm being too harsh or critical, but it seems hard to comprehend that level of disinterest.

Accept the new star of timeless anime kino and forgot that ancient plane nerd

For someone complaining so much he sure makes the same old shit over and over again. Either way his movies are for people below my strikezone so I don't really know anything about them.

His adaptation of Howls Moving Castle was dumb and ruined by ham fisted anti war message forced in as a response to the Iraq War.

>no true scotsman
>using the word 'hate' to describe an adjective not close to 'hating'
I hate people like you though.

The only thematic similarities in his movies is the aesthetic of the beautiful countryside and the occasional slowing of the pace to slice-of-life levels. All his movies are pretty different thematically and character-wise.

Porco Rosso; Totoro; Kiki's; Laputa; to name but a few. The movies couldn't be more different. You have a flying pig trying to forgive himself and accept his humanity again, a slice of life tale about living in the country side; a story about growing up and the pains that come with it set to the analog of being a witch ... and a fantasy adventure tale that intermixes certain nuances. How are they "the same old shit over and over again"?

They have the same feel, the same trademark, but they're all different movies as a whole.

From what I understand his heart was a lot more into archetictual design rather than filmmaking but his father absolutely would not leave him alone about it.
Didn't he design Ghibli Studio museum? Not useless. Just not THAT interested in animation and got major shit from his dad because of it.

He has a point with new animators only being influenced by the anime they've consumed rather than the things they've experienced in life.

It's the difference between someone like David Lynch and Quentin Tarantino.

dude young girls. dude environment. due flying.

>Like say a metal band that only listens to other metal records instead of a wide variety of genres and incorporating bits and pieces of them into their sound.
But then its not metal, user.

wtf I love Miyazaki now.

Reminder he is best buddies with this guy, and we know what happened there...

screenrant.com/john-lasseter-pixar-return-allegations/
TL:DR Hayo Miyazaki's friend destroyed Pixar by being grabby with female staff

Nope. Pixar is still going fine, retard. You're dumb if you believe these obviously fabricated allegations anyway. Never trust women, Hollywood, or the media.

I don't trust women, Disney over-reacted from Weinstein.

Just wait until all the stuff Lasseter worked on is out of the pipeline and then we'll see who the retard really is

Indeed.

>women who very consensually slept with HW to get acting roles now have a collective chimpout and decide to milk it for all the money can can

You're the expert at mainstream children's movies, I rather do more challenging things with my life.

Like posting on mongolian basket weaving forums

He claim TV anime are terrible when he only worked in one episode of 1976 Heidi

Acceptance isn't free

Personally, I think little girl characters should sound like little girls trying to sound like 40 year old chain smokers.

>As I said, that postwar generation believed in working to the point of collapse.

You can write this about every post-war generation of American, Europe and Africa, the fact in 1950-2000 you need millions of human hands for fix everything, but today with robots, AIs and universal incomes, societies dont know of "working to the point of collapse"; look we have cashier-free stores may only need six human employees and autonomous vehicles.

There are literal slaves today and i say shit like that.
I deserve money for having to read that kinda shit.

I think you shouldn't criticize anyone if you can't even understand the first intention of a movie.

>being this retarded
even here in Sup Forums we have standards.

go watch the movie again.

Absolutely not. The fact that you're asking is embarrassing.

Even Miyazaki had a waifu

Anime was a mistake.

>He was about to turn 18 at this time
>No GF, loves a cartoon instead

Disgraceful loser.

>Girlfriend
>In 50s Japan

Sure, get into a casual relationship with a girl your age. See how gossip spreads around. It was the ring or bust and socializing was a big no-no. Sadly, it's like that even now ...
only it's enforced by the kids themselves.
Grades and sports and your alma mater and then maybe a girlfriend.