With 3D right around the corner, will Evangelion eternally remain the peak of 2D animation?

With 3D right around the corner, will Evangelion eternally remain the peak of 2D animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PcXGgjyV4WA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how does a rushed under-budgeted show ran by a depressed failed-NEET manage to remain on top for 20 years

Good direction

No.

It's aged like milk outside a few select scenes.

I don't understand the obsession with Eva
It's not even in my top 20

Where does the love for this show come from?

From people who are not normal.

post your top 20.

I mean I'm pretty abnormal myself but I can't even bring myself to watch eva a second time

It's literally monster of the week until the last couple of episodes
It's not even deep on a philosophical level either
It's basic shit

I've found original gundam 100 times better than fucking eva

>I mean I'm pretty abnormal myself
t. 9-5 working girlfriend-having guy with a large social circle, 2 living parents who love him, etc

Here
Crucify me
I'm ready

1. Nhk
2. Steins Gate
3. Kaiji
4. Berserk
5. Original FMA
6. Monster
7. Geass
8. Hunter x Hunter
9. Yu-yu Hakasho
10. Mobile Suit Gundam
11. Bebop
12. Gintama
13. champloo
14. Ping Pong
15. JoJo all parts
16. Ashita no joe
17. Ippo
18. Bakuman
19. Hikaru no go
20. Akagi

You have the top 20 of someone who has seen maybe 200 anime tops, though you're right about Eva being overrated shit.

>200 tops
One day you'll realise how ridiculous that sounds.

No I wont. Why does it sound ridiculous?

>Eva is overrated!

The single most hipster-signaling comment a person can humanly make

Why?
I watched tons of trash and I know what I like
I also take a shit ton of time to watch a particular show because I tend to draw my favorite frame in the episode

But please post your top 5 my patrician friend

>I tend to draw my favorite frame in the episode
That's pretty cool. Can you post some?

Not a single one of those is better than Eva, you have shit taste

The only anime on your list that is on NGE's league is Joe and 0079. I also hope that's in not in order.

Gundam is trash. It's not a list of most influential anime, it's a favourites list.
If you like Mobile Suit Gundam your taste is on some level shit.

Anno confirmed to have shit taste therefore his works must be shit too.

>It's aged perfectly fine outside of a few select scenes

FTFY

Explain why you think eva is better than anything I posted?

Like it boggles my mind
I genuinely do not know why people love this series so much

this.

The characters are incredibly well-written. You're autistic if you disagree. You can dislike Eva, sure, but you can't contest that fact.

It boggles my mind how people continue to have Stein's Gate and fucking Code Geass anywhere near their top 20, but this is okay, it just means we're all different.

>he's serious

It boggles my mind how he can have taste so good, yet all of his works are out right shit. Especially Eva.

THAT'S NOT A FUCKING ANSWER

>they're well written
Can mean a shit load of things

In what way are they well written
That shinji overcomes a fucking change and grows to face his responsibilities to face the challenge?
Hikaru no go does that 100 times better
In fact a lot of shows do it a lot better

The peak of 2D animation was Akira. NGE literally ran out of budget.

>It's basic shit
That's simply false, and if you can't see why it was unironically too deep for you.

It did a lot of things that were new for the time, that other shows have since ripped off making everything seem less dramatic at this point.

I admire your courage and honesty.

>It did a lot of things that were new for the time
Name one.

that's like the kind of list people hand over to newcommers to make them think that Anime is serious or art, a surprise that lain isn't there.

It really makes you think. Also, it's usually a show that "awakens" the individual to watching anime at a standard higher than regular contemporary seasonalshit.
I think the post-Eva effect is real, people end up seeking for something actually worthwhile in the medium.

I think it was a combination of memorable characters, good animation where it counted and a genuinely shitty ending that left everybody wanting more.
Then they made a movie that gave them a taste of good quality before plunging again in the shitty ending that left you without a sence of closure and then making a series of movies that do exacly the same thing again.
Having that feeling of wanting closure and buying things expecting to get it is why the franchise has endured for so long. If they had pulled a compeling ending from the begining Eva wouldn´t be as popular as it is today.

Monster is pretty fuggin bad though, it feels exactly like they adapted a 160 chapter manga into 70 fucking episodes.

Overall shit taste as well thanks for posting.

>kaiji on 3rd
You're okay

At least this is how I can vouch for my interest in anime that had/has significant influence over those like Eva, Utena etc. I would've never gotten into Dezaki if it weren't for NGE/Anno, this I know to be true.

EOE's ending was pretty good.

Yeah see those are all fine picks but they're mostly post-Eva. Go watch a bunch of shows from 90-94 and a bunch of shows from 96-99 and you can see the change that Eva inspired. I could type out a fucking essay explaining how influential it was but what's the point, it's been done a million times before, just watch a lot more anime and you'll figure it out for yourself. Evangelion is not an entry-level show.

>Where does the love for this show come from?
Eva is good at fleshing out it's characters, You know what they're thinking about and why, Usually the "why" parts are tied to the history of the setting.
As a result the characters and the overall world is fleshed out. Every character has this trait and culminates to a detailed setting/characters and is easier to emphasize with.
Misato's tragic past reveals both important world-building events and why she has a vendetta against the angles(/father-related problems/Kaji).

It's sadly rare that the animators give any effort into the story and writing of shows. Animators are not interested in writing but animating.

No, people like it because its good.

>post eva
Fuck off
Legend of Galatic Hero's changed the philosophy of anime more than fucking eva

>Oh look at me paraphrase Schopenhauer, Fichte, and Hegel and claim to be so fucking deep

Not him, but there definitely was a post-eva effect, at least in terms of mecha anime. Just look at Gasaraki, Infinite Ryvius, Fafner, Neo Ranga etc.

I respect you for being a misatofag, but you're wrong. Evangelion is liked because it caters to beta shutins who endlessly parrot the same 'SHINJI IS MUH REALISTIC ANIME MC' drivel.

>a post-eva effect
an immediate post-eva effect* I mean. In the long term, I'm not so sure, of course there's still influence but it's not at direct. Even Fafner has drifted far from the original "eva-clone" it was.

They are well written in the sense that each event happening in universe has an effect on the characters' psyche.
A shit ton of anime (almost all of them really) have their characters do incredible or mundane shit without ever acknowledging that it should have an impact on their way of thinking or general attitude, or psychology, whatever you want to call it.
Or, most of the time, have this impact completely forgotten after 5 episodes, or made the central point of an arc, then being completely discarded in the next.
You feel almost every character in NGE acting and thinking like real humans, not like stereotypes, cardboards dumbfucks, imaginary heroes or based on the plot's needs. For all its faults, Anno wrote these characters as actual functioning humans who never act out of character and always have a good psychological justification for their actions.

It boggles my fucking mind that 20 years after its release, Evangelion is still almost the only anime with the expressed intention of writing realistic characters. Not a single one other anime has ever used "realistic" or at least coherent character writing as a selling point or even as an artistic ambition.

Evangelion is realistic though. People have feelings and insecurities and trauma, they aren't plot devices built by a focus group.

Actually I just liked the Shinji/Asuka relationship and the lesson on how external circumstances and our own flaws can prove to be obstacles that get in the way of genuine attraction desu

I'd rather have realistic characters in an unrealistic setting, than unrealistic characters in a realistic setting, which unfortunately is the majority of anime

>beta shutins

You mean the anime audience?

"People who dislike Evangelion are people who are too normal to understand it" keeps getting more true every year.

I feel like I'm the only one on here who has actually watched Evangelion recently

What the fuck are you talking about?

The majority of fucking episodes are them doing trivial shit until an angel appears and than everything fucking resets like a god damn episode of the simpsons

Are you fucking serious?

>caters to beta shutins
oh boy.

>4. Berserk
Why? I'm guessing you read the manga, which is obviously much better. But why is the anime up so high?

I have no desire to watch the Rebuilds, EoE was the perfect ending

You do realize that, among many other things, the show was made to make "beta shut-ins" socialize and connect with other human beings and that it relentlessly and mercilessly attacks the otaku lifestyle?

I think the most interesting think about Eva is it's psychological introspection. The only reason it was so heavily psychological is because Anno was clinically depressed. NGE is merely the vehicle for that mental state.
It's quite interesting to see how each of his projects during that era reflect him. >Nadia, which brought the trauma.
>NGE, which confronted the problem and brought success.
>Kare Kano, which ultimately is the showcase of his happiness due to the success from NGE.

It's pretty interesting, I think for those reasons it makes it much more realistic than a lot of anime. Because it is a creation of his own and his true problems.

I watched the 1997 anime when I was 12 and it was the first time I saw something that had a deep emotional impact on me

It boggles my mind how people don't have the exact same taste I do. Like how can they like stuff I don't like. Don't they see how wrong that is?

Peak of story telling in 2D.

Akira takes the 2D animation trophy probably.

If you do not understand why NGE is widely considered a masterpiece, you're simply just too dumb to appreciate something that is extremely original and one of the deepest, layered, subtle and powerful works of the medium.

Once again, Sup Forums proves how new they are.

>The majority of fucking episodes are them doing trivial shit
>character arcs, development, and conveying themes is trivial shit now

You're a waifushit and a literal, irl cuckold. How disgusting.

That's Asuka's best look

Ah yes that grand old development of where Asuka and Shinji played DDR for an entire episode to go kill the monster of the week only for it to not matter at all that they got closely connected because she still fucking despised him

Open it up and go re-watch the series
Do it

I rewatched it three weeks ago shithead.
> dude trivial shit lmao
Someone didn't give a fuck about the dialogues when watching.
Yes I am fucking serious, are you ? Were you completely oblivious to what happens to the characters during the entire run ? Are you that fucking autistic ?
> than everything fucking resets like a god damn episode of the simpsons
The fucking state of you. Keep your fucking eyes on the screen when watching something for Christ's sake.

>Legend of Galatic Hero's changed the philosophy of anime
Except it didn't. It was very niche and didn't inspire anything. Which doesn't mean it's not fantastic but how does that take anything away from Eva? Eva jumpstarted the entire TV anime industry at a time when it was stagnant. Japan was in an economic crisis, the anime industry was hit particularly hard, and only boring safe bets made it onto TV. Eva was influential because it blended arthouse & adult elements into a mainstream mecha TV show and it wasn't based on an existing IP. It's strange that you mention LOGH because it's an OVA and based on a successful series of novels. It's not even in the same realm as Eva. Eva was about bringing ORIGINAL anime back to TV, not to be relegated to OVAs and movies forever.

Dance Like You Want To Win is a lighthearted and kind of useless episode, and yet it can still carry some meaning in the shape of enriching the setting and giving more information about the characters (Rei and Shinji can coordinate very well without effort... I wonder why? You also get to see Asuka and Shinji interact with each other, and their relationship is vital to the show's ending).

And even if that ONE episode was completely void of meaning, that doesn't mean the entire series is completely void of character development, you utter retard.

Maybe because their relationship is a bit more complex that a single training montage won't completely change everything? And you're also leaving out 95% of the rest of the show to focus on a single thing and pretending none of the show matters.

Also stop assuming that you have a higher understanding of the show and everyone else doesn't get it as much as you do because their memory betrays them. I watch the show yearly, I know the show. You just come across as obtuse and arrogant.

>and their relationship is vital to the show's ending
Asuka is directly responsible for Shinji destroying the world, correct.

>implying that Asuka straight-up fucking spoils that she wants Shinji to break through her walls and talk to her with the Wall of Jericho sequence
>implying that Asuka isn't fucking crushed that he doesn't do anything
>implying that she despises him, rather than despise herself even more for not even being able to hate the person that has hurt her the most in her life on par with her mother

>doesn't straight-up

Whoops, typo.

Oh right
Yeah ok that one episode
Alright
Hmm

Hey remember that episode where all the power turns off for no reason and than the entire episode the team crawl through the air ducts while asuka goes "I'MA DA BOSS"
And than they go and defeat the big bad guy
And everything resets back to the way it was

What was the deep impact there?
WHAT WAS THE LASTING IMPRESSION THERE?

Forget about Eva and go watch something else.

SEELE made the power go out and checked out how NERV's base was on the inside, and set up everything in order to invade and conquer it during EoE.

This is specifically addressed by NERV employees right before SEELE storms NERV HQ.

Once again, you are an utter retard.

>RAAARGH SHINJI DON'T COME THROUGH THIS DOOR
>Shinji doesn't come through the door
>RAAARGH SHINJI WHY DIDN'T YOU COME THROUGH THE DOOR

You're right. Shinji should've broken through the wall to beat the shit out of her and drag her desiccated corpse though the streets.

>while asuka goes "I'MA DA BOSS"
You mean where Asuka fucks up and Rei has to fix her shit? That's every episode, friend.

> strawmanning an episode
We're reaching the definitive abyss of debate.
What is supposed to be lasting in this episode exactly for you to consider it good ? Why should it have a more lasting impact when it's literally between two other heavy character development episodes ?
And how are two episodes where the character progression is slowed down suppoosed to arrgue that Evangelion has no character development when you leave out the 20 episodes (not counting 14 and 13) where character development happens or is sped up ?
Why are you so fucking stupid ?

Same reason Final Fantasy 7 is still regarded so highly.

>RAARGH I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE FACT THAT ASUKA'S DEFENSE MECHANISM IS INHERENTLY FLAWED DUE TO YEARS OF BETRAYAL BY HER PEERS, LEADING TO AN ESCAPIST MENTALITY WHERE SHE WANTS TO BE COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT WITH NO FEAR OF BETRAYAL, BUT STILL KNOWS ON THE INSIDE THAT SHE'S DESPERATELY LONELY AND IN NEED OF COMFORT AND HELP BY SOMEONE WHO CAN UNDERSTAND HER, LEADING TO MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS ON HER PART AT BREAKING THE CYCLE THAT COMPLETELY FAIL AND ONLY REINFORCE HER MENTALITY

Lucky Star seems more up your alley buddy

> hi do you want to have sex ?
Said no one ever

>Defense mechanism
From what? A loser shit 14 year old boy?

Literally everything that happens to asuka she brought on herself, and she deserves it all and worse, you fucking cuckold.

>Defense mechanism
>From what? A loser shit 14 year old boy?

> proceeds to use a literal defense mechanism against butthurt inflicted by an anonymous comment on the internet
kek pottery

Right
So it's 4 now

My point is that most of the episodes don't have a lasting impact on anything

Remember that time Misato saved the world and almost died by stopping the rouge mech and it didn't matter by the next episode?

>Translation: Unable to actually refute anything said, I won't address the argument made, because I can't

see Unless you think literal crayon drawings and long stretches of no animation (not even lip movements) are the pinnacle of great animation, that is.

What have you said again ?
> Literally everything that happens to asuka she brought on herself, and she deserves it all and worse, you fucking cuckold.
Kek, stay mad but where's the argument in the first place ?

>Literally everything that happens to asuka she brought on herself, and she deserves it all and worse
It's right there, faggot. Dispute it.

Oh wait, you can't.

youtube.com/watch?v=PcXGgjyV4WA
>Break my wall of jericho, baka-shinji~

what boring predictable taste you have

>specifically state that defense mechanism was formed due to years of betrayal by her peers
>you're still unable to understand said defense mechanism was against people in general

Asuka gets close to people. They hurt her deeply. She eventually gets the idea that getting close to people is a bad idea, because every time without fail they end up hurting her, which at least partly explains her fierce nature, because it helps push them away.

Unfortunately, this also makes sure Asuka has nobody around that she can truly get close to. She has nobody that she can connect with or be vulnerable around or feel comfortable sharing her thoughts with. This causes her to become incredibly lonely, which then causes her to want to get close to someone.

Asuka realizes this (and this is a major reason why she hates herself) and attempts to break free of the no-win scenario (get hurt by someone or stay hurt by being alone?) by showing Shinji that she's interested in him without losing her independent attitude/looking like the needy, pathetic thing she fears she is deep down, which she was good at because anyone with even the slightest social competence could have seen that she was into him, but not good enough because it's Shinji and he's got the social skills of a rock.

Asuka perceives his retardation as him rejecting her, which hurts her deeply. Someone in her scenario has every right to have difficulties in trying to get close to someone, you fucking moron.

>TLDR I don't know what the Hedgehog's Dilemma is

Why would I even need to dispute it ? You provided nothing to support it.
I won't do all the work, if you have something retarded like this to say, better find some justificiations and examples to support it, otherwise fuck off.

>2D

>Break my wall of jericho, baka-shinji
Does Asuka not know that breaking the wall of Jericho resulted in the utter slaying of the goyim, down to the last babe, and the utter destruction of their riches, and metal-as-fuck Old Testament God straight up killing his own guys who didn't destroy everything?

I mean, if Asuka wants Shinji to butcher her body and burn her remains, I'm down for that.

I don't think the metaphor goes that far

I know exactly what the hedgehog's bullshit is, faggot. I also know that it's bullshit, unlike you, you fucking coward.

So what you are saying is that you are 32 and browse Sup Forums.

Cherrypicking the last two episodes doesn't make the rest go away.
And strangely yeah, even the crayon drawings are more esthetically pleasing than pretty much anything coming out these days with either shit drawing, oversaturated digital colors or piss poor physics ; or rather the three combined most of the time. Great direction and great esthetics come before having good animation : that way even if you run out of budget it's still memorable and pleasing to watch.

I'm 21 user

Why would you assume I watched the 1997 one IN 1997