4/4 series
2/2 movie
4/4 TV
4/4 Movie
1/1 Shorts
3/3 TV
3/3 OVA
3/3 Movies

To start some discussion, what would you say the best show this season is? My vote would go to After The Rain. It has the best direction I've seen in quite awhile.

I just realized that THREE (3) of the manga on my 3x3 is currently being adapted.
And all three of the adaptations are pretty good.

4/5 -Penguindrum
4/5 -Millennium Actress

3/3 TV
4/4 Movie

2/3 FUCK that Imaishi short. That was pure, undistilled garbage.
1/1 TV
2/2 OVA
3/3 Movies

2/2
>what would you say the best show this season is?
Yuru Camp, not much of a surprise.

TV 2/2
movies 4/4
TV 3/3
movies 5/5
2/2
1/1
2/2

Cardcaptor Sakura
>FUCK that Imaishi short
It's a great callback to the line animation and slapstick comedy of early Fleischer and Disney shorts, and a fantastic example of Imaishi's strength for exaggerated characterization and linework. What didn't you like about it?

>What didn't you like about it?
Because it was nothing but sex jokes, and the same one at that, for like 5 minutes.
Not that I hate sex jokes, but I literally mean it consisted of nothing but the same sex joke.

It's not just one joke, though. It's mostly visual gags, and there are lots of them.

Kill yourself, mouth-breather.

Honestly its hard to pick just one seasonal show that is my favorite right now, but if I absolutely have to I'd say it'd either be Yuru Camp or CCS.

Perhaps you're right, as I don't care for visual gags, or "visual"-centric anime at that (see my dislike of Millennium Actress).
All I remember is that it felt like the biggest waste of 5 minutes in my life.

I see Tsumiki no Ie get mentioned so much, and I just don't care for it. The artstyle is quite nice, but the storytelling is cliche and overly-sentimental. I had the same issue with Furiko.

What's the Short Films' top right and how old is it ?
I'm 99% sure I've seen it, but like, a decade ago, maybe even more.

3.5/8 (i am really picky on monogatari, if it isnt bat, snek or snail its usually shit)
4/6
4/8
6/8
ova: 5.5/8 ++boxer, hospital, ae
mov: 3.5/6 ++loveuso, rose
tv: 5/9 ++demonhunter, guymelef, rakugo (--urusei, usy)
less than 2 more months until robot carnival blueray release. i wish theyd fix the lackluster acoustic detailing but i highly doubt it. well, at least its gonna look even better than it already does. good enough for me i supposed.

>what would you say the best show this season is?
yuru camp for the first 3eps but ever since they introduced the other character ive been unable to genuinely enjoy it. so probably sora yori or unironically beatless, i dont even know why
3.5/8 (+1 if this shit is for tamako and only tamako, not her shitty show)

Sora Yori is trash.

i wouldnt go that far.

It's just very lackluster overall. A couple scenes of interesting animation and visuals I guess. I hate the designs though, and the art overall is not very good. I'm also not a fan of either the writer or director in general.
I can't see how it could be anyone's favorite anime this season when so many great shows are airing.

so what are the great shows, since i have a hard time labeling a single one as such. i mean, my guess is that youll now mention ccs but dont bother with that, i already disliked the original. so what else is there?

Well, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni and 3gatsu no Lion are both really great. I'm also enjoying Mahoutsukai no Yome and Yuru Camp as well.

Darling in the FranXX, Devilman Crybaby, and Violet Evergarden, you contrarian faggot.

I'm watching like 9 shows and I'm loving all of them. Probably not done picking up airing shows as I really want to catch up on Vanishing Line and Killing Bites seems enjoyably trashy.

i kinda have koi on hold, so ill probably watch it at some point. 3gatsu isnt for me unless the second season is vastly different to the first. the overall way shaft structues the storyboards is incredibly annoying. they constantly try to shove reis circumstances into your face
>oh look another metaphor of him on piece of drift wood, the poor child was so unfortunate
they are really overdoing it in my book. had mahoutsukai on hold since e4(?) i think, when that dragon/tree/or whatever it was (i cant remember its been too long) died of old age. yea well, and yuru camp dunno. fuck the addition of the side characters. nadeshiko grew on me but i wanna shoot myself every time aoi and chiaki are on screen.
>Darling in the FranXX
all right listen no. ranta and miku dont get enough screentime and the mech designs are retarded and dont fit the surroundings. whoever came up with that shows color palette needs to be hung.
>Violet Evergarden
stop with the bait.
i am watching 13 and dont particularly like any. then again, i am also watching stil-frame shows like mitsuboshi colors so i guess thats on me

I prefer the second season of 3gatsu, but I also really liked the first. Rei has moved out of his depression at this point in the show, and it's focused on other things.

>i am watching 13 and dont particularly like any
That's interesting, I'm watching 13, and really enjoying every single one.

>muh acoustic detailing

well its the reason why robot carnival doesnt have borderline flawless production values. the severe lack of sound effects really hurts some of the shorts. a lot of actions feel incredibly weightless because of it. i mean, the music is nice and all, but lack of detailing devalues shorts like nightmare or starlight angel. its a pity, really.

Sound isn't required to add weight to motion.

past a certain points its required to convincingly sell it, though. then again, forget what ive just said. i cant be bothered to engage into a fruitless debate with a deaf person or someone who uses $10 wallmart headphones.

It's not. Well executed animation is able to convey weight without any aid from sound effects. Nice baseless ad hominem, btw.

>Well executed animation is able to convey weight without any aid from sound effects
so why do well animated feature films still have sound-effects?

>Nice baseless ad hominem
you initiate a conversation with a greentext meme. nothing baseless about me calling you deaf or too incompetent to grasp the importance of audio direction and acoustic detailing.

Those effects CAN enhance animation. They can also hinder it. There are also other reasons a director may choose to minimize the amount of effects utilized. I'm fully aware of the importance of audio direction, I have no idea why you're claiming otherwise.

>Those effects CAN enhance animation
wait then why are they present in every single, properly financed production if its optional?

>They can also hinder it.
if properly executed no (which should be the goal), they cant.

>minimize amount of effects
whats the relevance? the topic were two shorts that lack sound effects entirely.

Here you go, end of thread.

>those hands
what happened

>wait then why are they present in every single, properly financed production if its optional?
There are lots of examples of animated films using only musical scores or having stretches of silence. Are you serious?
>if properly executed
No shit, Sherlock. It's often not the case though, and distracting, superfluous, or ill-fitting sound effects are abundant in anime.

>Are you serious?
i wouldnt consider a short to be a "properly financed" production. the post you responded to prior to that also specifically refered to feature films. care to name some of those properly financed feature films that make exclusive use of background music?
>and distracting, [...] or ill-fitting sound effects are abundant in anime
if anything you can find a severe lack of effects in older shows. overbearing acoustics are fairly scarce and usually limited to ill fitting insert songs that have their volume cranked up to the max. what would be some examples of works that have distracting sound effects? shouldnt be hard for you to name very specific sequences considering how common they apparently?!

also why suddenly drop the works in question? the two that lack sound effect entirely?

>care to name some of those properly financed feature films that make exclusive use of background music?
Fantasia
>what would be some examples of works that have distracting sound effects? shouldnt be hard for you to name very specific sequences considering how common they apparently?!
Well, off the top of my head, the constant shock effects and mood music in Monster which bordered on self-parodying in their melodramatic indulgence at some point. The poorly mixed water and bird effects in the first season of Aria, which sound like a bedside noise maker from Kmart. Lots of the clanging metal noises and explosions used in Super Robot anime from the 80s specifically we're often timed in weird places that don't coincide with action. Things like that.

5/5 for OVAs and Movies
3/3 for Anime
5/5 for Manga

>Fantasia
i mean, on one hand id admit that you got me here, but on the other i think that this is a pretty poor example because the music in fantasia specifically stops and adds effects that can be considered sound effects. the drumming for example isnt really part of the composition. example of what i mean (timestamp in tact) youtu.be/Rrm8usaH0sM?t=189
thats not anime though
>The poorly mixed water and bird effects in the first season of Aria, which sound like a bedside noise maker from Kmart
ill actually have a look at that when i find the time, thanks.

This is egregious. Fuck off.

pretty sure you can find equally detailed hands in some modern productions. just need to try. wouldnt be surprised if shinkais movies look like that. or what is it youre referring to?

If it were a Shinkai flick they'd be feet.

Series 4/9, Movies 5/9
Series 4/9, Movies 7/9
Shorts 7/9, TV 6/9, OVA 6/8, Movies 7/9
really nice
4/8
6/9
I'd say Mitsuboshi Colors
Anime 4/9, Manga 4/7
Anime 5/9, Manga 4/9
2/9

I can't fathom how anyone could prefer Cagliostro to Mamo.

Why do people make these complicated “fav short films, fav movies, fav anime” shut the fuck up and post 9 anime you stupid cunts

>why is a miyazaki movie more popular than a non miyazaki movie
lets be real, the only lupin movie most people have watched is cagliostro