Just finished Fate Apocrypha and really enjoyed it. What are some of your thoughts on the show and overall Fate series?

Just finished Fate Apocrypha and really enjoyed it. What are some of your thoughts on the show and overall Fate series?

Other urls found in this thread:

tmdict.com/book/fate-apocrypha-material
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What are some of your thoughts on the show and overall Fate series?

Play Tsukihime, FSN, FHA and Mahoutsukai no Yoru

Read the VNs

Apocrypha isn't terrible but it's probably the weakest Fate/whatever story.
Fate/Strange Fake is doing the "what if there were two sets of Servants summoned by a conspiracy" thing better and it's still pretty convoluted.

I agree, I felt the story was pretty weak. However I really liked the servants this time around.

I watched it, but sped it up whenever Fran or Mordred wasn't on screen. I didn't really care much for the fukkboi and Jeannu turned out to be a dumb bimbo--although somehow not the worst dumb bimbo, that goes to that dumb catgirl who turned evil because SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! Despite communicating in nothing but grunts I think Fran might've been one of the best girls in Apocrypha, and Mordred having fun times with her new dad. He was TOP DAD. What a shame neither of them honestly accomplished dick in the entire series and really mostly fell out of it after the first few episodes to be replaced by Sieg.

Why?

UBW route is peak Fate, right?

"no"

Why, what?

Fate is peak Fate.

The prisma illya movie is a better HF than HF
UBW is just a peek into madness

They all change somewhat in tone but I believe most importantly Emiya and Toesucker develops with each arc. I could go on but I'm tired of typing

Some of them are better than people give them credit for, like I think Jack's concept has a lot of potential regardless of the fapbait design, but between the story being how it is and having the focus split between over 14 pairs I can't help but feel like a lot of potential was wasted.
It's not really a fair comparison but against the 40-50 hour novel that is F/SN, which takes the time to look at a cast half the size from several angles and still doesn't really cover everyone as much as it could, it's hard to get as attached to any of the later casts as a whole.

Mordred was such a badass character, I genuinely wanted her and best dad to win.

>a lot of potential was wasted.

What went wrong with Apocrypha and Zero?

I absolutely agree, Jack's concept was really good in my opinion. I think that Siegfried was such a waste of potential. Same for both berserkers.

dragon dick

>Apocrypha
The author tried to write a story bigger than they could handle, so plot points and character arcs either get cut short or never get off the ground at all. Things feel rushed and awkwardly handled all the way to the end.
>Zero
It's an Urobutcher story. Not much else to be said.
It's difficult to care about characters you know are doomed, even the few that aren't terrible people. And there's a lot of bad people in Zero's cast. It becomes less of a tragedy and more of a bloodbath. Most of the story's strongest developments and characters were already written or outlined by Nasu before Urobuchi ever touched them.
The anime makes changes from the LN both for worse and for better. You don't get the full context for some things, most damningly the history between Artoria and Lancelot. But the stellar visual presentation turns a lot of scenes that were average in writing into spectacles, the best example being the big battle with Caster.

Just finished, too.
And by just finished, I mean stopped watching 2 episodes before the ending because I didn't care about any other characters after that.

Enjoyable characters and some good fights. The main protagonist and Jeanne were uber mary sues and the show would have been better without them.

The flow of discussion in these threads makes me sort of sad sometimes. Its always the same stuff.

This. I seem people usually blame Apoc being shit entirely on Sieg, when Jeanne was just as responsible for it.

Prisma is entirely better than it has any right to be

Waifu baits never gets any criticism, of course Sieg will get shat on when he was a literal self insert homunculus that made Siegfried kill himself for the dumbest reasons

>Apocrypha
>liked
I enjoyed seeing Jeanne's holy tits and when she took out her sword and transformed was pure kino

Chiron and Achilles were my favorite characters, their final fight was pure kino as well.

Dracula as a Servant also kino

Soundtrack was hype kino

And didn't expect to get emotional over Jack the Ripper

>disliked

Shirou, Sieg, and Yggwhatever family was fucking retarded.

Great Grail War concept and rules was also retarded

The sex change of heroes is done to death, to the point of it being a turn off for me

Frankenstein as not only a women, but also a loli? Fucking dumb as fuck. Also why is she considered a hero? Breaking in universe rules.

Mordred story was missed opportunity, also didn't help that they made a nice guy Kiritsugu clone

This post is pure cancer.

An abomination that shouldn't exist

Why is Jeanne dressed up like a slut?

Jeanne is fine. The only slut I see is Mordred

Why did Nasu want Sieg?

>kino
>kino
>kino
>Frankenstein as not only a women, but also a loli? Fucking dumb as fuck
>Breaking in universe rules
Worst post I have seen in many threads

I wanted to fug every girl and girl(male) in Apocrypha. Great character designs.

Fate/Apocrypha was originally an online RPG based on Fate's Holy Grail War Master and Servant system, with details of settings and characters collected in Fate/complete material IV. The online game was eventually canceled (and later revived as a mobile game called Fate/Grand Order, but in November 2011 it was announced that the settings and stories would be released in the form of a light novel series written by Higashide Yuichiro and illustrated by Konoe Ototsugu.

History changes according to whether the Einzberns choose Avenger or Ruler as their Servant. In the former case, the Greater Grail ends up being contaminated, causing a great disaster in the Fourth War and the Holy Grail being destroyed or shut down in the Fifth War, while in the latter case, the Greater Grail isn't contaminated, but in exchange, it is stolen away by Darnic. Oh dear, the Einzberns really are checkmated at all sides.

Any questions? Read this

tmdict.com/book/fate-apocrypha-material

Why do you say that?

She has that on during the end credits?

shirou kotomine did absolutely nothing wrong

Without needing to be introduced, he is the man who appears as the villain in Fate/stay night and Fate/Zero (though his mentality is quite complex). He doesn't appear at all in these novels, but hints of his existence are shown here and there, so he has an entry here.

Kotomine Kirei is living as an extremely respectable priest in Fuyuki even now. The Fourth Holy Grail War didn't occur here, so he didn't shift his focus to his own nature. It might be a different story if he participated in one of the subspecies Holy Grail Wars, but he'll never have such a chance as long as he is in Fuyuki.

In other words, he is still in anguish over the meaning and karma of his existence even now.

He heard about who his older brother Shirou is from his father Risei, but they have rarely interacted with each other. This is not done on Kirei's part, but rather because Shirou consciously avoids him.

This is because Shirou noticed the “distortion” within his stepbrother Kirei. Of course, he would very much like to free Kirei from his anguish, but no matter how he thought about it, it wouldn't end well… Additionally, if the one-in-a-million chance occurred where an event caused him to affirm his own distortion, Shirou was greatly worried that the first person Kirei would target would be him.

It would be like pouring gasoline on a volcano that's on the verge of erupting even now. Thus, Shirou kept his distance from Kirei as much as possible from the beginning to end of their relationship.

I really hope not because ubw is extremely overrated.

But he wasn't, user.

The ending was so happy.

UBW arc of the visual novel is widely considered to be the most “mature” of the three arcs

This or FSN's Last Episode?

Is this worth watching for Jeanne?

Nasu: There's no one who deserves to be
killed.

Takeuchi: That's so whitewashed it's blinding.
I'm tired of listening to your theoretical ideals.

Both, but F/A one was animated first. The other one will be animated never.

I fucking loved it. The lead up to it was a little poor, but I still ended up enjoying it.

Of course!

>UBW arc of the visual novel is widely considered to be the most “mature”
Like hell it is

It's shit.

The last few episodes were superb, starting from the jumbo jets up until the very epilogue.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

The anime was far from perfect but it was still good enough to thrill me.

How much of the novel did it skip?

Well thank you!

Be honest anons, did you really liked Aphocrypha?
I'm a fatefag as hard as it can be, and yet I barely could watch it. It had his moments, but overall I found it very cringe (even for Fate standards).

I have a hard on for the sounds A-1 uses for metal clashing.

I enjoyed it, but I was more into the side characters than the protagonists.

TM Fans

1st Class
>knows japanese
>has READ Tsukihime, FSN, HA and other TM works on japanese
>reads the current TM LNs and manga
>played CCC
>maybe played MB or Extella
>probably has bought merch
>watchs the new anime adaptations
>plays FGO JP

2nd Class
>doesn't know japanese
>has READ Tsukihime, FSN, HA and other TM works using translations
>reads the current translated TM LNs and manga
>played Extra, and CCC using a translation
>maybe played MB or Extella
>probably has bought merch
>watchs the new anime adaptations with subs
>plays FGO JP
>maybe plays NA
>needs to visit Reddit or BL for translations

3rd Class
>doesn't know japanese
>read FSN
>maybe Hollow Ataraxia
>most likely hasn't read Tsukihime
>he hasn't played CCC
>maybe played Extra, Extella or MB
>hasn't read other TM works and doesn't follow the current TM LNs or manga
>despite all that he watched Carnival Phantasm
>watches the current anime adaptations with subs
>may or may not love F/Z
>plays FGO NA only
>likely doesn't own merch
>maybe visits Reddit or BL

4th Class
>doesn't know japanese
>did not read any of the VNs and is not familiar with almost no other TM works
>despite that watched Carnival Phantasm
>understands waifu as "hot anime girl"
>FGO NA is his main source of TM lore
>only watches TM anime adaptations
>LOVES F/Z
>owns merch and maybe buys quartz
>visits fgo reddit (and other subs unironically)

5th Class
>started on TM thanks to one of the side projects like KnK or Tsukihime
>may not like the attention that Fate gets
>may be angry and bitter over it
>maybe plays FGO JP or NA just for the collabs
>probably owns merch

6th Class
>was 1rst or 2nd class but in some of the low activity gaps lost interest in the franchise and just let go of it
>doesn't like FGO or is just not interested

7th class
>was 1rst or 2nd class but his outright hate towards FGO makes him unable to keep up with the new lore
>thinks FGO killed TM but is unable to let go
>mostly browses Sup Forums

The main """"criticisms"""" for this series were because "Sieg stole muh waifu" or "muh unfullfilled power fantasy", or "why no Lion-go MC cuz muh waifu modered".

Sieg didn't steal anything.
Siegfried did what he wanted to do.
Fran did what she wanted to do (no, 100% self-revival was written out from her NP).
The 7v7 fight was just the background for the philosophical themes of the story.
Shishigou and Mordred would never be the MCs of the story because they have little to nothing to add to the theme of the story.

Not really. It's the most shounen-esque of the 3 routes.

The Masters were really boring, terribly so. Half the Black Masters were one-note gimmicks that died off by the halfway point, and the remaining ones were: Fiore, a retread of the same old "be human or be mage" storyline that has happened so many times in TM already, Caules, an accessory for Fiore and mostly pointless himself, and Gordes, who actually has surprisingly good development.

A lot of the spinoff Fate stuff feels like this, where the author cares solely about Servants and just forget that Masters also need proper characterization and development.

Seriously, I couldn't care less about Jeanne or that faggotry. But it was seriously just a ok to bad series.
Sieg was, just a dude. Literally he didn't go further from that and...
>The 7v7 fight was just the background for the philosophical themes of the story.
You are just baiting

Is the shirou vs sieg bgm from the last episode out yet?

Oh? Then prove me wrong.

Not until the second season Blu-Rays.

>What are some of your thoughts on the show
Could have been something good. Sieg ruined fucking everything. The show is garbage.
>and overall Fate series?
It was awesome at first, but most off the creative spark has been beaten out by the evil corporate moneygrubbers who just want to turn it into a waifu factory.

Apocrypha is a cynical, pointless work whose only purpose seems to be squeezing some money out of the lucrative Fate intellectual property. It shits out so many characters that it becomes instantly impossible to care about any of them, does a terrible job of explaining the motivations of anyone or the stakes at hand, and generally just fucks up hard at every stage of the story. Only thing people even remember about it is Jeanne's tits and Mode Red's brain problems.

Explain yourself right now.

>Apocrypha is a cynical, pointless work whose only purpose seems to be squeezing some money out of the lucrative Fate intellectual property

Fate/Apocrypha was originally an online RPG based on Fate's Holy Grail War Master and Servant system, with details of settings and characters collected in Fate/complete material IV. The online game was eventually canceled (and later revived as a mobile game called Fate/Grand Order, but in November 2011 it was announced that the settings and stories would be released in the form of a light novel series written by Higashide Yuichiro and illustrated by Konoe Ototsugu.

Nasu wanted to introduce a homunculus MC into Fate.

How does that prove it isn't a pointless work?

Did Apocrypha need a Shirou clone?

>Shirou clone
That's an insult to Shirou (which is saying something.
Shirou had a personality at least. Granted, it was an autismal and genuinely psychotic personality, but there was a spirit of who 'he' was.
Sieg could literally be replaced by a giant block of tofu and the series would stay exactly the same.

I don't think so and I don't know

Nothing in Fate is pointless for everything is connected.

The plot is utterly forgettable, but it feels like the most action-packed Fate installment yet. It helps that the show was carried by a team of talented young digital animators so the action had a lot of flair.

No one watches Fate for the plot anyways.

>old anime used straight lines for arms
>modern anime draws anatomically accurate arms with clear musculatur

I've never seen a single episode of Fate nor have I read the VNs, I just fucking love how one of my major fetishes is constantly pandered to in almost all anime nowadays.

True, Jack's concept is nice enough.

Too bad it gets absolutely overshadowed by Berserker Jack, which actually plays off the legend's main mystery.

Nasu: There’s basically nothing that I left untouched. Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Blue and Silver are Higashide’s and Sakurai’s own stories, respectively, so anything they do with those is okay, except for setting mistakes. But FGO is a poster game for TYPE-MOON, so Kinoko Nasu has to put in his word into this scenario. I have to harden my heart and supervise this game. Both Higashide and Sakurai have said, “We submitted 100 kb of text to Nasu, then it came back as 180 kb of text.” But that’s not just simply adding 80 kb of text; it’s also revising the original 100 kb so that it becomes more Fate/-like.

>Soundtrack was hype kino

Sue let's play the same fucking violin track every action scene.

>Just finished Fate Apocrypha and really enjoyed it.
You must be at least 18 to use Sup Forums.

>but it feels like the most action-packed Fate installment yet. I

Does it have bigger battles than Fate/Zero? Four battles in four volumes.

>1
Saber vs Lancer vs Archer vs Rider vs Berserker vs Assassin

>2

Kayneth vs Kiritsugu
Kirei vs Irisviel and Maiya
Caster vs Lancer and Saber

>3

Caster vs Lancer, Rider and Saber
Archer vs Berserker
Kariya vs Tokiomi
Saber vs Lancer

>4

Archer vs Rider
Saber vs Berserker
Kiritsugu vs Kirei
Saber vs Archer (final battle, continued in Fate/stay night)

Apo lives and breathes rehashing shit

It's the most action-packed action anime in general since Taboo Tattoo.

I think it was probably the worst anime I've ever seen. I'm not even kidding.

>Most servants were boring
>Obvious set up that red team is "evil"
>Boring as hell masters and half of them were irrelevant
>Whole plot about Sieg didn't make any sense
>Astolfo faggotry
>Asspull fights
>Karna fight
>We have to team up against bigger evil
>Fights are pretty much flashing lights, clang sounds and bass boosted sounds
>Waifu faggotry was more obvious than ever
>Poorly written and executed

It was just so fucking shitty. I have no idea how things like these get created and approved for 25 episodes in the first place. I watched 9 episodes and after that, I had to speed up all the parts that didn't involve the Red team. And the whole Sieg plot, I just fucking can't even comprehend how shitty it was because my eyes were rolling up so hard that I could see inside my skull.

Is Prototype or Strange Fake any good?

>Obvious set up that red team is "evil"
Both sides were evil, the joint of both was "good"

Wait until you watch UBW

>Good Apo servants

Vlad
Chiron
Avicebron
Spartacus
Achilles
Shakespeare
Honourable mention to based Gilles' brief appearance

>Shit Apo servants

Siegfried
Astolfo
Jack
Mordred (come at me fags)
Karna (his ending redeemed him somewhat)
Atalanta
Semiramis (same as Karna)
Frankenstein
Jeanne
Shirou (the bait and switch with his name was good though)

>Strange Fake any good?

Better than Fate/zero

So did he still have Karen in this timeline? Shit happened before the 4th holy war.

Also no reason to leave her for adoption. With no HGW to make their survival uncertain I don't think Kirei could have an argument to convince Rise of letting his grandkid go.

Already did and it was multiple times better than this clusterfuck even with Gil jobbing like a retard.

>Vlad
Supposed to be protecting his historical homeland and be a king for the Black team but has zero character and can only summon stakes.
>Chiron
Boring as fuck but I guess he filled his role of being a chill mentor figure.
>Semiramis
I liked her interactions with other servants but I have to agree that her being an assassin was stupid as hell.

I have to agree with all the others but I think that Jeanne, Astolfo, and Siegfried deserve their own utter trash servants tier.

Literally the only reason Apocrypha is popular is because of a certain girl (male).

>Avicebron
>good
lol no

That's all the information we have on Kotomine in Fate/Apocrypha timeline

Strange Fake is great

Not him but at least he was somewhat interesting. He fucked everyone over and completed his dream and if it was better written his golem would've killed at least one servant.

>but has zero character and can only summon stakes

His character is being kingly and regal, muh pride and all that crap. Nothing really endearing, though I appreciate his general politeness towards the rest of the team compared to King of Jobbers, and without needing to go full Iskandar. A generic king, in short.

What really got me to like him was his sheer and utter butthurt over his own noble phantasm, enough that he'd rather lose than use it. Fucking TATARI messed him up for good.

>but I think that Jeanne, Astolfo, and Siegfried deserve their own utter trash servants tier.

True, true.