ITT: Industry changing moments

Other urls found in this thread:

sakugabooru.com/post/show/22970
youtube.com/watch?v=Hsui04ioF2U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation#Techniques
youtube.com/watch?v=kgMIwuUsOME
youtube.com/watch?v=gC7JcHh9ixQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the fuck did that change about the industry?

SS never looked that badass again.

When cowboy bebop first aired.

>CONGRATULATIONS
And anime never had a satisfying conclusion ever again.

>eclipse.png
Nothing surprised me anymore

overly hyperbolic

Omedetou is satisfying though.

Hah, no

what changed eveything

Actually it was this.
The scouter and radditz showing up.

Also, Gohan's rage moment against Radditx beat Goku to the punch by a ton.

no no no

The Super Saiyan transformation introduced an emotional climax that had most if not all Shonen protagonists have a breaking point where they overcame their enemy with brute force and had a sudden change in appearance, speed, and power.

the scouter introduced power levels but the SSJ transformation created the "breaking point" in fighting anime

Horus frame manipulation.

sakugabooru.com/post/show/22970

The first Itano Circus and Obari pose

the mother of anime

Please explain

Instead of animating on 1s or 2s, they started used 3s for slower movement, and to add weight, while using 2s and 1s for slower movement when it came to the fish. This directly influenced the way anime is drawn. This was ACTUALLY instustry-changing.

when Alice in Wonderland broadcasted on Japanese tv, the entire country oof'd

But that only affected the shounen manga industry.

>the scouter introduced power levels but
Not really. If you wanna get really nitpicky,Tao and daimao did.

ooof

>The Super Saiyan transformation introduced an emotional climax that had most if not all Shonen protagonists have a breaking point where they overcame their enemy with brute force and had a sudden change in appearance, speed, and power.
Yeah, fucking gohan beat Goku to the punch by a fuckton.

His rage moment was kind of the epoch of the RAGE = ERREYBODY GON GET RAPED
Yeas SSJ created a kind of shorthand for it that changed the game forever. But it was displayed with gohan many many years before SSJ was a thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hsui04ioF2U

As for the scouter, it made powerlevels a thing and this changed the game far more.
Because super forms as a thing that is something that is a visual shorthand for an emotional change.
That has been a thing forever.
But what it signifiies and it being a thing that comes from within and not externally is the really important part.

The series fell on it's sword when the only people who could transform in that way ended up being saiyajins and EVERY SAIYAJIN could do it no matter what and it being an easy change that any saiyajin can fucking learn no matter what.

speak to me like I'm retarded, what does any of that mean

It's been 80 years and Anime still hasn't even come close

They didn't introduce it in raw numbers

>there will never be a woman this perfect in real life
Why even live?

Anime is run on 24FPS (TV native is a bit off I think) so in one second, you have 24 frames availible to draw on.

To keep things smooth, having a new drawing every frame (1s) or every other frame (2s) is optimal for the persistance of vision. When you have a new drawing every 3 frames or every 4 frames, you can clearly see each individual frame (this is 3s and 4s).

it's animation basics, and I think it's essential that anyone that consumes anime learns about this, lest you dont really understand the medium you're enjoying so much.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation#Techniques

Which is the main centerpiece of the industry you fuckhead. Also when DBZ aired on the West it sparked a huge anime craze worldwide for a while which the Anime industry will never replicate.

It was displayed with Goku in DB way before that.
You Gohanfags need to be gassed

Thanks for spoonfeeding me user
of course i understand how it works, just that when i saw
>Instead of animating on 1s or 2s, they started used 3s
my brain just sort of short circuited

>sparked a huge anime craze worldwide

dbz is literally babby's first animu, I really feel sick being lumped in to the western anime culture because of this shit

when Beth removed stats from TES

>dbz is literally babby's first animu,

Yes.
And?
Let me let you in on something. You would have no one to feel superior too, no fans to talk too, or no more DEEP INTELLIGENT BRILLIANT or whatever adjective you want to describe your animu choices to watch.

Babby's first = 100% good shit.
Also, want to know why stuff that was considerd industry defining and world changing feels boring and trash when you finally get around to watching it?
Because you've already seen the important parts and industry changing bits played out hundreds, maybe even thousands of times before. You've even seen them lampooned a lot oft times as well.

I agree with these 100%.

I don't know, I feel like heroic berserker rages had already been done plenty of times before the Gohan moment, in other anime. I might be wrong about it, and I'll concede it was game changing if I am wrong. However Goku's transformation was far, far emotionally gripping and aesthetically satisfying. No other anime rage moment before it could quite compare. The entire Freiza battle was just one hope being dashed right after the other, over and over and over again. The sheer helplessness I felt as a child when Kaioken x20 could only match half of Frieza's power despite literally destroying Goku's body, and then the power of a star system and its planets in spirit bomb form, Goku's final ace and desperation move, did nothing but piss Frieza off, and then watching Frieza just casually pick off the survivors with nothing to stop him, due to Goku being so utterly destroyed that he couldn't have thrown himself in front of Gohan even if he tried, and knowing that even if he could buy a moment of time for his friends, they still had no hope of escaping...

Jesus Christ it was intense. In my head canon, when Goku turned super Saiyan, he was still working with a nearly exhausted power reserve and brutalized body --- yet the manifestation of his overwhelming GRIEF was enough to compensate for all of that and deliver an immensely satisfying dose of poetic justice. I don't think turning Super Saiyan healed him, either.

Shit man. I'm sorry if I'm rambling here, but I don't think a single scene from any animation has ever captivated so many youths, so deeply, as Goku's transformation did. From Japanese to Americans to Europeans to the whole world. It is still an unsurpassed moment in animation history. Even things that compare or surpass that scene in emotional impact all still fail to measure up to the sheer quantity of people captivated and influenced well into adulthood, of that scene.

Nobody cares about your opinion you big baby
The fact is Dragon Ball Z is the most famous anime ever made. Deal with it.

>Babby's first = 100% good shit.
Not always. DBZ is good(at least up until Freeza) but something like Love Hina is genuine trash.

wow, spics pissed off big time

sorry about tainting you glorious perfect japanese cartoon.

oh, and by the way, my first viewed anime ever is astro boy 1980's version.

have fun debating that :)

and no one gives a shit about your opinion too

dragon ball z is overated as shit, just like ff7 is everyones first jrpg but there exists better games than that.

deal with the fact that alot of people don't agree or give a shit what you think

Guys we're talking about the industry and its societal impact on a macro level, not on your personal level. I thought the ending of Eva was extremely unsatisfying and vapid and pretentious, but its impact and the debates it sparked simply cannot be ignored. Even if it was relatively shallow as a work of art and writing, it was still a tremendous gateway for countless children and teens into the concept of narrative and artistic depth. Very few shows meant for teenagers will actually compel them to think deeply and critically, even if that's the very intent of the show itself.

Furthermore the aesthetic and musical impact of the show basically set the bar for and influenced countless anime to come. It was the key turning point of a generation, comparable to say the Osamu works that came before it.

>The fact is Dragon Ball Z
That's pokemon.

Does the use of animation drawn frame by frame during EoE and Eva's 16th episode count as an innovation it brought about? Had anything else done it before?

>drawn frame by frame

user, do you know what youre talking about, since it does not sound like you do. Straight ahead animation is something entirely different to what Iso does (full limited).

>drawn frame by frame
what did he mean by this

>my first viewed anime ever is astro boy 1980's version
Not that user, but how does that change anything at all? DBZ is still the main reason there's such a big culture for manga and anime outside of Japan.

Only kinda. But do go on.

>That's pokemon.
>Implying people care about the Pokemon anime

I honestly don't know of Eva was anything special on a technical level. I think its visual value was mainly its aesthetics; cosmic horrors and shallow symbolism included.

Also it just seemed to nail the harem and action genres in just the right combination. It surpassed Ranma in that department, for example.

totally changed how we see jumps

Not that it's hard to surpass Ranma on those things, since it's main value comes more from the absurd comedy.

Is this 99? I gotta admit Kurapika was pretty ballin' here. It reminds me vaguely of the Bebop movie's fluid fight choreography.

are you kidding, it was very satisfying

way better than EoE

EoE only had good fight scenes

Agreed, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Did Tenchi or Outlaw Star exist before Eva? Outlaw Star was probably closely after, I guess. But if it were up to me I would have rather had Outlaw Star be the breakthrough anime to spawn countless theories and games and remakes, than Eva. I just get so bored with Eva. Like the lore is much better than the series itself.

youtube.com/watch?v=kgMIwuUsOME

Also Cowboy Bebop is undeniable in its impact on western audiences. Dragon Ball got little kid Americans to explode with hype, but for teenagers, Cowboy Bebop was something that spoke to us on a deeply emotional level that Eva could only hope to compare to (for Western audiences anyway. The situation would be reversed for Japan)

Anyway it's a damn shame that Japan is so myopic with its media. So much potential is lost due to the overwhelmingly shit taste of the average Japanese anime consumer.

Hell yeah motherfucker. Between Gundam and the original Dragon Ball, Lupin was the only classic style series I liked as a kid without needing peripheral/sequel series to make it interesting.

I wouldn't have given a shit about Dragon Ball without Z, and Gundam without Wing and G. Sorry but that's just how most kids thought. You can't expect little kids to be patrician. It's unrealistic and deprives them of the joys meant for their age.

maybe im a bit older than the average of Sup Forums bust most kids liked lupin at the time

No it was not.
Not ever.
That rage super power thing was a fucking Gohan exclusive thing up until the namek saga.

You're right. Him becoming super saiyajin was a big deal.
However, Gohan's temper was kind of what laid the groundwork for it.

Evangelion's most revolutionary feature was its OP.

unironically this scene

This is exactly when casual nudity in every anime ended

>i really feel sick
autistic as fuck
grow up

nation changing moments

Without any sarcasm, I'd say you're pretty close to the truth.

Like how Rock the Dragon was probably the catalyst for Americans even giving Dragon Ball a chance. Little kids thought that intro was sick. We stayed for the fights, obviously, but if you only caught the first 2 minutes of a Dragon Ball episode, you might have thought it was boring without that sick intro promising badass action cartoons the likes of which no American child had ever imagined. It was hype and set the mood.

Even though now I totally prefer Head Cha La. (I still unironically prefer Faulconer tracks in general. The gay circus music he used for comedic scenes were fucking lame though)

Gohanfags are honestly beyond conversation

If y'all wanna see Goku's SSJ transformation through fresh eyes
youtube.com/watch?v=gC7JcHh9ixQ

This really is the most beautiful and well done story related to the sports genre in all of manga and anime.To this day, nothing even remotely compares to the aura that resonates off of Joe Yabuki and his tragic life

not for the better tho

a millon bullshit transformations in battle shonen

why did they make her so slutty?

is Disney a pedo?

true
however
still iconic as fuck

Were you seething when "Toki wa michite" happened?

no because i'm not autistic like you lol

yes

>lol

Back to your containment thread

So it changed the industry for the better then? Awesome.

Literally fucking not. You'd have to be 12 or ignorant to think this had any impact on the industry in any way.

This.

you're the one calling children slutty

are you retarded?????

Have K-ON and SAO changed the industry?
One started the whole moeshit while the other popularised isekai

Still waiting for the first anime to parody the servaruface, it's bound to happen.

>K-On
>started anything
Lurk more, uncultured newfag.

>anime elitism
How much of a fucking dork do you have to be to feel this way?

This doesn't count unfortunately because nobody really did anything else like it.

What anime was that?

K-ON is the nirvana of moe anime

>Have K-ON and SAO changed the industry?
Yes.

For the worse, but they did.

FLCL