Ashita no Joe or Hajime no Ippo, which one is better?

Ashita no Joe or Hajime no Ippo, which one is better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hJ5KjrjfD40
youtube.com/watch?v=-j8sX95vkfc
hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2014/04/many-thoughts-on-good-manga-10.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

pic related is

Joe easy

How is this even a close contest? One is a classic with a broad readership while the other is a run-of-the-mill shonen that got milked for too long with little direction.

>Joe: 20 volumes with a great ending
>Ippo: has been published since the beginning of time and has no clue what to do anymore with Ippo himself losing to some random boxer

This.

>manga doesn't overstay its welcome
>titular character isn't a bitch
>supporting cast all compliment the main story rather than distract from it
>less cartoony and over the top fights (Harimau is the only silly one)
>set new standards and defined tropes for both anime and manga in the following decades

Joe is legit one of the greatest comics ever made.
Ippo is just ok, though The Fighting anime is one hell of a series.

Joe is a better story overall, however if you are into boxing I think you'll love Ippo more. To be honest comparing Joe and Ippo is kinda dumb, booth have different focus and use boxing as a different tool.

I should re-read Joe sometime soon, kinda sad no publisher has licensed the manga yet in english.

This is such a shitty comparison. Joe is clearly better and it's not even a close call. We're talking about a beautiful work of fiction that not only shaped the entire industry, but the whole fucking nation. Ippo is basically just a never ending battle shounen about a tard who's taken too much brain damage.

Tomorrow's Joe is the greatest manga ever made

>I should re-read Joe sometime soon, kinda sad no publisher has licensed the manga yet in english.
Seriously? It's getting a reprint in my country and the final issue comes out in a couple weeks. I'm not ready, even though I already know how it goes.

>however if you are into boxing I think you'll love Ippo more

There's two types of boxing fans. The ones who'd wax poetic about the ring generalship of guys like Willie Pep and Nicolino Locche and truly appreciate the ferocity of warriors like Marvin Hagler or Joe Frazier.

Then you have the boxing fans who watch Tyson KO highlights on YouTube and will call Muhammad Ali the GOAT without having seen a single one of his fights. The former would appreciate Joe whilst the latter would enjoy Ippo.

>kinda sad no publisher has licensed the manga yet in english

Kodansha have flat-out said they're not gonna publish it in English because 20 volumes is too long and sports series don't do well. I wonder how much it would cost to buy the license from them? I've got some capital and the rest is as simple as making a Kickstarter.

You must be italian right?, It's kinda sad, I want to read it in physical format. Kinda sad, I'm from Spain and the manga is not licensed here, when is licensed in Italy and France.

The one with the good music.

youtube.com/watch?v=hJ5KjrjfD40

20 volumes is not that long, also they could release easily 1.5 volume size and cut the series in 12 or 13 volumes like they've done in france and italy. Seven Seas has been licensing some classics maybe they'll try with Joe and some point.

Yes, and that really sucks to hear, I'm sorry. The current reprint is actually the kanzenban version with bigger-sized pages and beefed up page count (so they're only 13 volumes). How's the general manga situation in Spain? I'm lucky enough to get all sorts of series and hearing stuff like this >Kodansha have flat-out said they're not gonna publish it in English because 20 volumes is too long and sports series don't do well
sounds pretty alien to me, even stupid because how much would a manga need to sell to be profitable as long as you print the correct amount of copies?

>One died achieving nothing
>One took the chance to avoid brain damage like a non retarded human being

Ippo

Shit taste.

One died smiling and doing what he loved.
The other's a literal retard and can't do what he loves anymore.

Ippo's probably more realistic to be honest.

>Joe let his body and soul burn up until only white ashes remained and died finally feeling his existence was worth something
>Ippo retired full of regret and brain damage without accomplishing almost any of his goals

>How's the general manga situation in Spain

In general we are in a good shape, we have a lot of great works, for example I think we have almost all the works from Junji Ito, we also have Jojo that began publishing some months ago and is selling really well.
Sadly there is kind of a division here, not many classic manga are being released and when they do realase classics (for example they're going to release a Tezuka anthology soon) they do it with absurd prices, basically if you want to read some good classics you have to pay a lot more, it doesn't help that most of those classics are edited in hardcover deluxe edition. So, because of that companies tend to release the classics at a slower pace, that's kinda frustrating to be honest.
Also (this is personal) but I feel our market is being overfilled with BL/LGBT manga, it's kinda sad that nowadays almost all of the companies selling manga here have now a BL title, worst park is that is the shit that is selling a lot.
To be honest I would love to undestand italian, volumes there are way cheaper here for a single manga volume they can charge more or less 8 euros...if it is a classic you can espect to pay from 11 to 13 euros.

I would love to see your opinion about your country manga industry.

So do we know if this is actually some sort of sequel to Joe or not?
youtube.com/watch?v=-j8sX95vkfc

There's a chick who looks exactly like Yoko in there

>achieving nothing
I know you're meming but he won the pacific title or some shit if I remember right

>So do we know if this is actually some sort of sequel to Joe or not?
It's just a non canon tribute. Originally was against the idea of having gimmicky robot arm things, but now I think it'll add a cyberpunk element to the series. The fact it's not directly connect is what makes me feel okay with it. Has a lot of potential and could possibly be the best anime of next season. Really wish Joe was a character in it though...

>To be honest I would love to undestand italian, volumes there are way cheaper here for a single manga volume they can charge more or less 8 euros...if it is a classic you can espect to pay from 11 to 13 euros.
Dang, Joe is 8€ here but it's bigger-sized and each volume is 352 pages long, regular series regardless of them being new or reprints of old ones are around 4€, unless they're kanzenbans like Joe, which there are a lot of. Ranma is also getting reprinted in the same format for instance, even Dragon Ball and that one's in full color.

You can generally expect pretty much every series that's not completely unknown in Japan to get published pretty quickly, there are even translations of the most famous light novel series. Then there's completely off-the-wall stuff such as the Korean web manhwa Killing Stalking getting its first print run in the world in Italy (pic related was his message).

>Also (this is personal) but I feel our market is being overfilled with BL/LGBT manga, it's kinda sad that nowadays almost all of the companies selling manga here have now a BL title, worst park is that is the shit that is selling a lot.
On the other hand, I feel like we could have more yaoi and yuri. There are some, but it doesn't feel like all or even most of the popular ones come over, unlike other genres.

>pic related was his message
Meant the author's.

Anybody have a genuine interest in boxing here? Not just watching or reading about it, I mean you have some training and regularly hit the bag.

Some japanese friends of mine said that the author of Joe drew a picture of Joe and Yoko after the match. Anyone maybe have that, I've been wanting to see it.

>I mean you have some training and regularly hit the bag.
What kind of idiot would do that when they can lay down and watch a show about a guy training/hitting a bag while eating chips.

STAND UP JOE!

Visual style in this is pretty nice, hope the animation level holds up

I like how you guys give everything a chance, here companies try to play safer to milk more money of the buyers, there are some of then that are good, however they alone can't change the main problems.

This is the image on Chiba Tetsuya's website that your friends are probably referring to. For more information on the alternate ending to the manga and how the actual ending came to be, read the English scanlator's post on it: hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2014/04/many-thoughts-on-good-manga-10.html

I don't have a picture. But that was the original ending written by the author, Ikki Kajiwara. The artist, Tetsuya Chiba, asked to change it cause he felt it could be better and the author let him do it. Unfortunately, Chiba couldn't figure out a satisfactory ending and the deadline was approaching. So instead he just ended it with the iconic final page we have now. Personally, I think it's a perfect ending and I'm glad events played out the way they did to allow it to happen.

Nigga, Joe wanted to burn until he was just white ashes. He died with a smile in his face.

The OVA was adapted by non other than Osamu Dezaki.

>We're talking about a beautiful work of fiction that not only shaped the entire industry, but the whole fucking nation.
This guy gets it.

Reading about the ending, I am kinda glad that the Megalo Box anime isn't an actual sequel now since it may mess with the effect AnJ's ending had for a lot of people

Yeah, even the famous writer Mishima was a big fan of Joe.

I remember you forever.

hey hey hey blues

Joe is one of the best stories told in any Japanese medium, Ippo is another battle shounen. How is it even close?

>achieving nothing
You baited me. Joe was the OPBF champion and burned his life to basically retire the World Champion, aging that fucker like 30 years in the process.

How does this even work. How does one's hair turn white in 1 round.

THE FIRE OF A MAN'S SOUL

>Ashita no Joe or Hajime no Ippo, which one is better?

It's sad that Sup Forums has become such a shithole that we can only have sports manga threads that are prefaced with either/or Sup Forums shitposting. That brainlets are doing this shit with Ashita no Joe is fucking blasphemous, since it comes infers we can only discuss Joe by shitting on HnI.

Based on this thread I'd like to experience Ashita no Joe. Should I watch the anime or read the manga?

both

Hnl is shit though.

This unironically.

first manga then anime
both are fucking good

The one that ended.

anyone miss when manga used to end?
publishers need mangaka on tighter leashes

>achieving nothing
retard

>It's sad that Sup Forums has become such a shithole that we can only have sports manga threads that are prefaced with either/or Sup Forums shitposting. That brainlets are doing this shit with Ashita no Joe is fucking blasphemous, since it comes infers we can only discuss Joe by shitting on HnI.

The fuck do you expect? There's only shitposters, secondaries and underage hipsters on this board anymore. Regardless of Ippo's shit quality; mindlessly comparing Ashita no Joe to Ippo has always been entry level shitposting in Ippo threads, even before it got a second anime, much less fell off a fucking cliff as quality goes.

Hajime no Ippo will always be the GOAT when it comes to comedy.

so i fell for the meme and watched Joe but the ending did nothing for me, not even a slight choke and definitely not a single tear and i cried when rosario vampire ended, so fuck Joe and also fuck Ippo, i aint falling for another boxing anime meme

Well user, I'm sorry you couldn't appreciate an universally acclaimed classic that influenced tons of authors and became a cultural icon

>>Ippo retired full of regret
Well, that's just incorrect

Literally the only good part of Ippo is where Takamura fights the bear.

ippo is sucks cause he won't go down

Ippo is better if you just want the fights, I think despite generally following similar structure the individual segments can be really creative cause the author knows a whole lot about box and as it goes on he gets a bit better at drawing impact.

Ashita no Joe is superb if you actually want the story. Joe himself is one the greatest characters I've come across and his journey captivated me from beginning to end. The characters actually advance beyond getting stronger and the dialogue can be pretty sharp with meaningful arguments on both sides. I'm really glad I decided to read it a while back.

Ultra Oxygen Yamato Damashi Ippo destroys Joe.

One is a clear story with a beginning, a middle and a great ending.
The other is a a cliché ridden shonen who won't end as long as it sells copies

Ippo is a mediocre boxing shounen. Joe is much more than just the sports anime. The complexity of Joe's character is art and the original drawings should be placed in a museum.

Joe, no question about it.

I WILL REMEMBER YOU FOREVER JOE

Carlos :(

He is our tomorrow.

What was this guys name again?

god damn the anime looks so nice