Why is punpun drawn as some bird stickman? I never understand what the author is trying to say here

Why is punpun drawn as some bird stickman? I never understand what the author is trying to say here.

Punpun is Tumblr tier manga trash

Punpun is the only part the credited author draws. Everything else is outsourced to South Korea.

is it really that bad? I shouldn't waste my time reading this?

Read "Understanding comics" by whatshisname. You should know this by now but in case you don't: The simpler the drawing the easier is for readers to self insert because they have to fill the void with their own mental images. Todorov, a literature theorist, talks about this act of "filling the voids" but I'm too drunk to remember it.
The thing is that PunPun is not even the best Inio Asano work and you should read What a wonderful world, I believe it's his magnum opus.
Bye.

>todorov
Talk about a nobody. Try Barthes for literary theory that matters

>Please tell me what to like!
Jesus Christ I fucking hate people like you

>that matters
>barthes
O I am lauffin
Read Blanchot, de Man, and etc for literary theorists who aren’t trash

Sorry that means nothing to me just like your opinions. Barthes spans the whole of modern literary thought

I like you though. Don't care if you hate me.

No, its not that bad. It's a powerful, depressing ride, that for me wasn't worth it. To see characters act like shit when I can see that outside my windows? Nothing goes right and the bitterness it leaves is one that I can get plenty of outside of my media.

He doesn’t and hasn’t said anything insightful that Blanchot or Bataille haven’t said in their early works
Get better taste

>modern
Kek, keep living in the past, gramps. Should I care about russian formalists too?

Ok so it's worth reading if I don't just use manga for escapism.

Contemporary then, don’t get autistic over terms now. And don’t even suggest Barthes did not summarise contemporary capitalist reality perfectly. I am a semiotician and hence am employed and also more well read

>I am a semiotician and hence am employed and also more well read
*tips ivory tower fedora*
Kill yourself, brainlet

>ivory tower
I am a marketing man except I know how shit actually works due to pragmatic systems of logic. Sorry if you don’t get it but Adidas loved my presentations of how they are overshooting their brand values. Semiotics is the future of marketing and branding

You’re 5 years too late, bub. It’s already been common practice, but we’ll let a brainlet like you feel haughty for once in your life

Thanks for the insightful commentary user, you made my day.

IMO Punpun is so immature that he never really developed or found a dream for himself. Fluttering about idly, weak resolutions for everything. He's like a bird because he's innocent and simple.

Punpun made me feel nothing and I dropped it out of boredom after a couple volumes, but I read all of Fire Punch in one sitting and it left me in a sick-to-my-stomach malaise for 3 straight days.

What does this say about me?

For easier animation.

the same reason game protags aren't usually so face-focused. it makes it more natural to empathize/sympathize when half your interpretation of their mood and behavior comes from projection
secondly, it's supposed to be a dissonance between how innocent and child-friendly punpun looks and how dark and depressing it really is.
thirdly, it's a beautiful visual, as we are litereally shown how punpun changes as a person over time.
also dark humor

A lot of people praised Punpun so I read it to the end. It's too depressive and kind of cynical for me but I can see why its liked.

I interpreted it as him feeling different from others. How he doesn't fit in and feeling like he doesn't belong. It's not just him that's a bird, but his family as well.

>tfw that describes my flaws as well

FUCK

This is pretty funny because Inio stated in an interview that the caricature of punpun was mainly to meet deadlines because of how dense the panels were with traced backgrounds already. Another fun fact is he uses 3D modelling software to model his settings and trace over them accordingly

Wow you must be really unique and not the lowest common denominator for this piece of shit manga

I always thought its because punpun feel pretty alienated amongst other people an because of that might not even see himself as a fully developed and complete man.
Kinda a thing that doesnt fit with anyone or anything.

projection probably

It's good though there is one plotline that is almost completely unnecessary (most of the cult shit ). If you don't like super depressing stuff you don't like it. It's not for everyone but calling it "tumblr tier trash" is just edgy contrarianism.

I would unironically give Punpun a 10/10 if it wasn't for the cult sub-plot.

That you have shit taste.

I would sincerely tell you to drop it

Actually this
I think the author tried too hard to turn this mundane story into Epiphanic Revelation: the manga.

It's edgy shit aimed at teenagers suffering from life.

>I think the author tried too hard to turn this mundane story into Epiphanic Revelation: the manga.
What? This statement applies way better to fire punch than to punpun.

I haven't read Fire Punch, so I can't tell that.
Not the most flattering comparision, but when reading Punpun I felt the same as I feel when watching VEG, like some jap thinks he can picture generic life stories in extremely detailed and dramatic fashion and impress me with nothing. I don't dislike realism, but I hate obvious emotional manipulation and lack of actual substance in what's supposed to be a "realistic and profound story about life".

How does Solanin compare to Punpun?

Solanin is more a "realistic" SOL of young adult life than PunPun, a shorter, less rambling work--
Dedededemon Destruction or whatever Asano's best existentialist work yet in my opinion.

The song is top tier.

The fact that somebody would even need to ask this is depressing.

The author isn't trying to "say something" necessarily, it's just a device to make the reader receive his character in a different way, which gives you a view of his personality directly, or lets you fill in the gaps, depending on what the author wants at the time.

It's also obviously a stylistic decision - the OP pic is a good example as you can devote more detail to the backgrounds and side characters, then make your focal character a blunt, simply drawn bird thing. It makes for some good contrast.

>I never understand what the author is trying to say here.

never listen to the people here. try things for yourself and if you didn't like something complain later here

Dumbass