Violet Evergarden and sloppy worldbuilding

>Violet's mechanical arms are a technological marvel
>They somehow still use 19th century weaponry
>Trains, trolleys and cars look mid-20th century

>Drossel right next to enemy alliance
>They're somehow fine while Enciel, capital of a country much deeper into the south, was practically destroyed as seen in episode 1

>Violet is famous enough to write for princesses now
>But she still gets run of the mill jobs like copying books

>It takes 1 day to travel from Enciel to Leiden in normal circumstances
>Yet it also takes a day (or at the very least half a day) to travel from Leiden to Kazalli

>Their language is pretty much just English with a made up alphabet

>Yakisoba, itadakimasu, honorifics, bowing

I don't usually watch fantasy stuff like this, but how normal are these sort of fuckups in anime? I'm only watching Evergarden because it's Kyoani, its genre and setting is something I don't usually touch at all, the show so far it's fine but these things are really annoying to me.

She looks ugly.

But Saber is always beautiful.

>ugly
user she is a cartoon character and no she doesn't. But have you looked in the mirror recently?

These sorts of fuckups are normal in any media, I have no idea why you're asking about anime specifically.

Because this is an anime board.

Why does that island look like my obscure country

It's only fitting for a show with so much shitposting.

Huh, yea it looks like Australia as well.

When does punished Gilbert will show up?

I don't watch this but that sounds like Steampunk.

Isn't steampunk just a victorian looking setting with advanced technology using steam? The only advanced tech in Violet are the robot arms and the typewriter siris, and they don't seem to be running on steam, everything else from weaponry to transportation looks from either the 1800s or 1900s

I didn't realize he had the eyepatch there. Huh.

Welcome to the world of light novels. No, they aren't well-written.

/thread

This is something Kyoani easily could have fixed in the adaptation

Heres a (You)

Kyoani are actually the ones adding this stuff up

>itadakimasu, honorifics, bowing
ADD meme is real

What does this even mean? Do you have an argument or are just shitposting?

>Princess
She's the top of her class
She's had at least 1 year experience

>itadakimasu, honorifics, bowing
Curtsy was a common thing
This is a japanese production written by japanese people, of course they will have honorrifics

I think you didn't read the OP

>But she still gets run of the mill jobs like copying books

The issue is with Violet doing a job that it's below her apparent skills and reputation. They should be sending Iris for that kind of job not her.

>This is a japanese production written by japanese people, of course they will have honorrifics
Is this even an argument? The world they're in clearly isn't Japanese.

Shonenshit has more coherent worlds. VEG is especially bad and on the level of Disney Star Wars.

If it was just violet for the Observatory library job then I understand, they had to take all of the Dolls from their town in order to get that job done, Violet is no exception.
>Is this even an argument? The world they're in clearly isn't Japanese.
Go watch it dubbed or something then. They have it in 6 other languages which can quickly resolve the honorrifics complaint

"The world they're in" is a fictional one, smartass. Ask why the courier dude is wearing stilettos. That's not how it was in early XX century europe! For fuck's sake. Have you seen sora no woto? Have you seen more than ~50 titles?

The doll profession is thriving, I don't think Leiden has only 80 dolls to spare, and even if that were the case, where is Iris and Erica?

As I said, I don't watch fantasy shows or shows 'set in an alternate universe', so I don't know if this kind of lazy world building is the norm, that doesn't make it right though.

It doesn't matter, if the client has enough money to pay for her Doll service she goes there, no questions asked.

Looks awfully similar to Tamriel from TES.
>turn the map upside down
>remove some water and rivers
>change minor details

>anime about character development
>timeskips every other episode and characters explicitly describes how much mc has grown
How the fuck did this garbage get the green light?

>where is Iris and Erica?
They're probably still working in Leiden because they're still receiving work. When you you have a big important job as this you send your flagship, Violet, who can handle a large volume job.

It's not a big important job, a big important job was episode 5, this particular job from episode 6 just needs someone who can type fast, and dolls are trained to do that regardless, you don't need the famous Violet Evergarden or Cattleya Baudelaire who just secured a marriage between to former enemy nations

OK nerd, I dare you to build a better world. If you were too bother by those, then I suggest that watch another anime.

I like anime, but I don't watch all anime.

Here is another (you). Many of us enjoy her smile

Violet is the only one who can match speed of the speaker. Even Leon was taken aback by her speed. Did you even watch the latest episode or are you just making assumptions from the threads?

All fantasy maps either look like Yurop or are designed to fit neatly inside a rectangle.

More like it looks like Australia and New Zealand.

>I need to be spoonfed every little detail
I'm not really sure what you are going for here. There could be many reasons why Violet was sent instead of the other dolls.

The novel's reason was that Cattleya was busy with other work. Erica and Iris doesn't exist in the novel so Violet went. The anime didn't explicitly offer up a reason but it's reasonable to assume that Violet is the only doll they had available for the job.

Yet the other dolls did just fine

In the novel, Violet was not yet famous and the princess job didn't happen.

Real world map fits inside a rectangle too. But making it a single blob continent is lazy as fuck, yes.

Don't expect anything from a trash medium like LN

You could probably go to /tg/ right now and ask someone there for theirs and it would be better, all those guys do is worldbuild since they never actually run any games

And? What does that change? If a doll is busy with another work, another doll has to take over. Especially a travel intensive work like a doll, Ddo you think they can just recall Cattleya or Erica or Iris from travel just so they can keep Violet in house in case a special job happened to be requested?

My point is that you don't send a famous, and probably more expensive doll to do a job some trainee could do. They're clearly not short on dolls in this world since the teacher in episode 2 said that profession is thriving. If neither Iris nor Erica were available I'm sure there are other companies out there with plenty of junior dolls that could fill that void. Sending Violet feels too convenient. I wouldn't have any issues if this episode aired before the princess one.

>Every other doll is busy
>Violet is the only one available
>Well fuck that job. Violet is too famous for that!
That would be very smart for a fledgling company to do wouldn't it huh?

>every doll in the country is busy
I'm sure this isn't the case.

>C.H. postal is the whole country
user, I'm sorry to say, but you are clinically retarded. I should've never even responded to such a shitty bait in the first place. Have fun pretending to be a critic by nitpicking the most minute details of a show. At this point, you might as well ask why they are speaking japanese in a "european" setting.

When will they go to the eastern island country?

Are you being this obtuse on purpose? The observatory is hiring dolls from all over the country, not just CH postal, if CH postal has no available dolls then they could just hire dolls from other companies.

>Their language is pretty much just English with a made up alphabet

Did you expect them all to speak a made-up language with Japanese subtitles?

>if CH postal has no available dolls then they could just hire dolls from other companies.
They did have one available. That was Violet.

Overqualified. Do you seriously not see the overly convenient setup here?

>cartoon character
>no mention of anime as referral

Of course not, I expected them to make a more believable fake language with their own words and grammatical rules. Tolkien did it

Why the fuck does that look like Australia upside down and with a random southern NZ sunken with only the North portion still around somehow closer to Aus.

>>Drossel right next to enemy alliance
>>They're somehow fine while Enciel, capital of a country much deeper into the south, was practically destroyed as seen in episode 1
You mean like how in WW2 Strassbourg was virtually unharmed while Paris, much further inland, actually saw a lot of heavy fighting? I agree that a lot of the worldbuilding has inconsistencies, but this one can actually be adequately explained by some circumstances like certain parts of the border being much heavier guarded to the point of making a frontal assault pointless.

I'll try and help you to work this out one more time since you seem to be too stupid to do it yourself.
1) A fledgling company, gets a job offer. This Company is CH Postal.
2) They don't have very many dolls
3) When they got the job offer, Violet was the only doll available. Everybody else was busy.
Now, do you think a company whose primary goal is to make money to stay afloat would

A) Refuse the offer because their only available doll wrote for royalty once?

or

B) Accept the job to further their reputation, keeping in mind that the Shahar corporation is quite a big company?

Choose wisely user.

You're still conveniently forgetting the pedigree both Cattleya and Violet have at this point, they should be getting jobs from the best bidders. Yes, you could send Violet but what if an urgent and more profitable job gets requested? Sorry she's doing some book copying. Ironically in the novel Cattleya wasn't available, she never is because she's so famous, so Violet gets the lower end jobs, like this one.

>B-But she is famous
Answer the question. Do you accept or refuse the job? And no, you can't say they should've kept Violet in house "in case" a more profitable job comes along. They aren't psychics.

Looks like Bellyopolis

Wasn't my answer implied already? I refuse or I charge them more since I'm sending one of my best dolls. You're losing money by sending Violet, assuming the pay is equal for all dolls requested by the Observatory.

>Yakisoba, itadakimasu, honorifics, bowing
This shit happens all the time. Even in anime set in the real world like LWA, the allegedly European characters will bow down and emote as if they were japs.

1. Only one timeskip
2. It was kind of irrelevant because she only improved her writing skills, not emotional perception

>b-but this is fantasy! it doesn't have to make sense!

What's the point of adding anime original CH employees if they're not utilizing them?

You clearly did not watch episode 6, speed watcher. At the end of the first day, they mention she finished 3 days of work and giving her the highlight.

Meant for this guy, sorry
Read this speed watcher.

>ITT waifufaggots defending this obvious plot holes and shit writing because they fap to Violet
Pathetic.

>fapping to violet

Then you have your answer. They paid more for Violet.

Wut

Global Rule 2

>All these people saying Violet is a saber clone
She's clearly an Aegis clone.

I honestly can't tell if you're shitposting at this point. The other dolls did fine, they did their job as expected, some even did 2 days worth of work. Violet doing 3 was an anomaly and not expected by the people managing them.

That's an assumption not an answer, an assumption that wouldn't work with a bit of common sense. Dolls are everywhere, why pay more for Violet if you can hire a junior for such a menial job?

Violet looks like saber but acts like Rei. Truly the ultimate waifu.

Pretty sad that she only has those "mechanical arms" just to look good and to be noticed as some eye candy thing, unlike ED who had a decent non-war generic explanation of him sacrificing his arm and leg to save his brother from disappearing.Also Ed actually puts his automail to good use in which his other normal body parts can't do, unlike Violet where she uses her mechanical arm in the most boring and uninspired way imaginable. Overall FMA did it better.

1. There have been several timeskips.
2. She appears more humane after each one. (shows more expressions etc.)

>That's an assumption not an answer.
>That's not an answer that fit in with my nitpicking
>That's unacceptable
They never explicitly stated the reason why Violet was there, so all your are going to get are assumptions on why Violet was sent there. So good luck trying to find the answer that fits in with your bias.

You're all fucking idiots going by the assumption that writing for royalty immediately makes her company disregard non-royalty requests that pay up enough.
Don't ever start a business you useless faggots.

She has shown emotions from episode 1. The only thing she doesn't know is understanding them.

It's not nitpicking, it's common sense, my god you're fucking retarded man

Only 1 timeskip at episode 5. If you can prove otherwise then do it, otherwise shut up.
That's called character growth, watch more anime.

Common sense like a fledgling company not accepting a job they not good enough for Violet? I guess in retardland that would be common sense huh?

they deem not good enough*

My opinion is that they sent her because she was acting all depressed and out of it from her encounter from the end of episode five. There was no way she could be empathic after that and they sent her off for an easy dictation job in the mean time. Or she could be the one to request it herself since she knows she's emotionally compromised and didn't want to have it affect her job.

(you)

That's what I thought, now shut the fuck up and go shit up some other thread.

>I can't prove there was a timeskip other than episode 5 so I'll post a meme response

Copying books is not utilizing a doll's full set of skills, Iris does nothing but type in addresses all day and she's still a junior. The actual job of a doll is to ghostwrite. Violet has pretty much reached the peak of her profession by ghostwriting for a fucking princess.

Common sense like not sending one of your bests dolls to do such a menial task when a better job could be requested at any time. Cattleya is always busy with higher end jobs.

It doesn't fucking matter if it makes use of a Doll's full skill, if the client paid the fee the work begins. Period.
This is such a simple concept to have as a smaller company like C.H. that I honestly think your IQ is below 80.

While veg is undeniably bad in a writing perspective, the level of effort and work that must have gone into creating the animated time-lapses and some of the really complicated and NOT 3D rendered (as far as I could tell) scenes in this first episode really blew everyone away.
The animation looked better than most animated movies and that’s saying a lot for something that’s intended to be a series.
So in conclusion if kyoani could someone get the rights of FMA, they could probably it better than bones.

*somehow

Why would the client pay a higher fee just for Violet when there are dolls everywhere? It feels like I'm arguing with a wall here.

>a menial task when a better job could be requested at any time
Oh man, look at him grasp at straws. Also, nice assumption that this is a low paying job. Anything to make your nitpick work I guess.

Why wouldn't it be a low paying job? They're just copying books. The only one grasping at straws here is you for defending this stupidity.

their real goal is to marry some random rich snob.

It's not just books, it's rare historical one-of-a-kind books that's about to disintegrate. The government had probably supplied a huge grant to ensure those books get a proper copy.

Shahar is a prominent company in the setting. A doll is also rented. You don't know how they are charged. You don't know the model C.H. postal uses to charge their customers.

Is it per day? Per page? Is it per hour? Is it per word? Per sentence? Per letter? You don't know how much they paid for Violet. But, I suppose it doesn't matter when you are trying so hard to nitpick right?

Honest question, do you have a job?