Houseki no Kuni

Can we have a thread for this? I finally got around to reading the manga and I need a bit of discussion. I only watched the anime and then ditched the threads until I got around to the manga.
So, what exactly does sensei do with the "praying"? The translation says he's a "terribly powerful machine of destruction" and that he can split the human spirit from the body. What does that have to do with letting the spirits pass? The moon people talk as if he purifies them but don't explain how. Is that explanation mistranslated or is it just left as a mystery that phos just doesn't question?

It could mean that sensei kills humans, releasing the spirit from the body

Shouldn't there be a new chapter next week?

But Aechmea said sensei was created as a praying machine, to automate the passing of the spirits. There was also what he said about probably keeping the last human company, so I don't think he has ever killed a human, or anything really.

I'd hope so, I need more after reading through the manga so quickly.

who is this and can I fuck him/her?
for some reason my boner is off the chart

Only the cutest gem, Phos
Which I also made this thread for more pics of her.

>Only the cutest gem, Phos
Nice try Phos but we all know who the real cutest gem is.

Reminder that they DO have cunnies.

New chapter so soon. I can almost smell it.

To add to this I kind of just think the moonies don't actually know shit about sensei aside from that he was made by humans. Maybe he hasn't actually ever made those prayers they want, and instead have been clinging to the false hope of a heaven since they can't actually remember that far back.

They're just a more bortz-like Antarc, who is way cuter

Euclase is cute!

>Antarc
>cuter than Craig
Not with that dumb haircut

How would you think the religious symbolism would be like if it's based on Christian imagery instead of Buddhist?

Changing to Christianity wouldn't change their uniforms, what they wear now isn't exactly Buddhist. I imagine Phos wouldn't become a Frankenstein monster though.

I feel like the series as a whole wouldn't be as interesting with that sort of change, even though I wouldn't know what'd change aside from things like the moonies' designs. And I bet sensei would be more of a hard-ass, which would be funny to see.

bort is very cute

I want to see Red Diamond interact with the other gems!

I just took it literally. He's saying his prayers for their soul, purging them of all the baggage that prevents them from entering Nirvana.

>Can we have a thread for this?
no
fuck off gemnigger

spoilers...

A cute dork.

I wonder what's Yellow DIamond end goal, just to suffer?, maybe he will have a little arc of redemption.

I don't think Yellow has an end goal anymore.

>tfw idolize your brother
>tfw your older brother hates your guts
>tfw he will probably try to kill you if you meet again

Does Bort really hate Dia?

Dia doesn't hate Bort. It's just that Dia feels inferior or inadequate when around him, they actually care very much for each other shown for example in the aftermath of the Shiro fight.
But Dia and Bort are probably going to fight next time they meet.

He will made the prettiest moon dust.

Stop fucking grinding them into dust, Aechmea.

Where do you guys even read manga now?[/ spoiler]

MangaDex, PAS, tumblr

Yandere gems incoming, hoping for a TL but won't count on it since these threads are dead.

What's a TL?
And the threads aren't quite dead, just monthly to preserve the quality.

he purified big doggo and later on the game pieces

The Lunarians want him to do just that to them, but for some reason he refuses to do so, even though they're the very last spirits residing on this plane, or so the Prince tells Phos. Sensei is being frustratingly mum about this whole matter after Phos began prodding closer and closer to the truth.

Moon people would have wings, maybe?

TL = translation

I mean the TL anons are all dead, they were mostly active while the anime was airing.

I think it was implied that Shiro and the game pieces moved on by themselves since they only really wanted to meet Sensei again
Whatever is holding the lunarians back is probably more complex

Yeahs sensei didn't do anything in their cases, it all boils down to whether he can't pray or won't pray.

Thanks for explaining and posting. It's a shame they all went yes.

Sensei probably doesn't want to pass on the lunarians because of would endanger the gems in the process

The concept of antarcts body falling apart would work better in a 3d glass enclosure where all the different bits are separate from the body.

Gorgeous figure but it looks like that neck part would snap at the slightest tap.

How's the quality of the official EN translation? I was thinking of picking up the first 3 volumes of the manga.

About as good as you would expect, there's some questionable parts here and there but on the whole it's fine.

when will the second quest be up? i think it should start at chapter 3

dia hates bort not the other way around. dia is older

Chapter 3 of OO quest will be on Friday I believe.

Thanks, I'll place an order today.

there was no information about a date in the last thread. does that mean it was just randomly stated somewhere in a houseki thread?

I can't really see Dia genuinely hating anyone. I thought the only reason she went to the moon was because her relationship with Bort is kinda fucked and she doesn't know how to change it so she'd rather run away.

25th

It seems more like a case of "can't live with them, can't live without them" than actual hate. Maybe Dia is just looking for affirmation that Bort needs her just as much as Dia needs Bort.

No, it was stated when the next chapter was to take place in the quest thread itself, and I asked for the date last thread on here so that's how I know.

Also this:
the 25th of februari.

go back to your containment threads retard

we are led to believe that he prays for them and they pass on but there's tiny amounts of foreshadowing here and there that shows that the truth might be something else, just keep reading and join the discussion when chapter is out, we don't want to make generals so better have the thread when we need it

Based

Red should take over as the new protagonist honestly. Phos is such a bitch.

Can you really blame it on Phos if there's hardly anything left of her?

How would that work?

Red is a cutie.

Yes, we can Always blame Phos.

I wonder if the lunarian outfit hiding the old parts of Phos (except the back, I guess) but showing off all the new parts was a deliberate design choice

With the attention too detail Ichikawa has shown until now, no chance it was not deliberate.

Soon, there won't be anything of original Phos at all

What will we even call him then, NotPhos, FauxPhos and NuPhos have been thrown around before, but those don't sounds as good as LaPhos did to be honest.
Maybe we should abbreviate it, T.O.F.K.A.P (The one formerly known as Phosphophyllite). That sounds even worse.

But seriously, I don't think she will lose all of her original parts since crystal is one of the nine sacred treasures of Buddhism.

why not skip the middleman and simply refer to them as lapis?

Because she's not Lapis user.
Lapis is gone forever. Even if they un-dus her, her head will still be on the torso of the abomination formerly known as Phos.

It could be everything but a teeny-tiny part, then. There's nothing to say that Phos could lose something and then get it back later, too, which might be one way that our expectations about the seven treasures thing gets subverted, as I'm sure Ichikawa knows that readers have picked up on that theme.

Phos head plus Lapis' body for extra fuckery

Doesn't it just simply mean he's both strong enough to kill the human body and then also the soul?

It seems there's something more spiritual going on in this case. If it was just sheer destructive power needed, the lunarians wouldn't keep reforming on the moon.

There is a comic about that, but I don't have it on hand at the moment.

Shit I just realized, what if Red is the last ‘treasure’ to be part of Phos’s body, representing carnelian?

Since people have assumed that the red gem is either Padparadscha or Cinnabar, that would be an interesting alternative route, although that would mean that the lunarians actually manage to reassemble Red or at least part of her. Maybe Red would know something about the situation that Phos wouldn't get told by anyone else.

That is possible, but not really a better alternative too Pad to be honest. I want all the gems to live damn it.

I'm sorry, but I always think Sensei's sleeve in this image is a big black horsecock from the thumbnail.

Very lewd user, nice meme though. Hadn't seen that one yet.

rude

Would be nice, but Pads is more likely.

>I want all the gems to live damn it.
It would be pretty weird from a story perspective for anyone that was around since the start of the series and "died" to come back whilst the story is still going. I kind of want to see it happen, but I suspect that Antarc and the rest are gone for good, and the lunarians are just stringing along Phos until this becomes apparent.

O, don't misunderstand me, I think so too. Antarc would probably be even less then dust, she would be vapor, just like the the prince his promises and the hopes and dreams of the gems and Sensei. It has already been well discussed that even if the Lunarians set aside the time and technology to gather all the dust and begin gluing them back together, there are multiple gems of the same composition both real and fake in the mountains of dust and that is assuming that all the dust is still there. It is possible that some of it just floated up into space along with the Antarc vapor, never to be seen again.
I am of course not 100% certain of any of this, maybe the dust particles are still big enough that they can be distinguished from each other, maybe the Lunarians actually like something to do for a change, maybe the dust of the real gems isn't even that which is spread onto the surface of the moon but contained in some special boxes under Achmea's bed.
It's just that I'm hoping that they can be reassembled, but that is probably not how it's going to go and like you said, Achmea is just stringing LaPhos along for his own purposes.

What is this pic? Are these illustrations from art book?

Some volumes of the manga have a cover depending on which language you get them in (not the English versions), those illustrations are from the insides of the cover if I remember right.

Sensei is an asshole and he needs to be destroyed.

I like the idea of Phos' head being on some shelf in a lunarian warehouse, just in case they needed it.
This all depends on whether Aechmea has been telling the truth or has been lying like crazy, and so far nothing he has said has been directly contradicted even by Sensei, so there might still be a chance.

i completely agree we must subvert the remaining gems and destroy sensei

They're the actual hard covers under the colored dust jackets (and are also in the art book).

If he has been telling the truth the whole time that means all the gems they capured are dust on the moon, wouldn't that mean there is no chance anymore?

Pic related.

>I like the idea of Phos' head being on some shelf in a lunarian warehouse, just in case they needed it.
There is no such case.

>wouldn't that mean there is no chance anymore?
The lunarians might not know whether it's possible either, they've not had a reason to try it before now. It's not like they have anything better to do at the moment.

The perks of being an immortal degenerate.

>two extra swords & hands

I hope Ichikawa releases a full spread one day.

>and the lunarians are just stringing along Phos until this becomes apparent.
Even if they were serious about it right now, it's not going to happen. Either Phos' plan shakes Sensei up and he finally sends their souls to Nirvana, in which case they'll obviously not be piecing them back together.
Or it does not work, in which case the Lunarians will just try to go back to plan "make the moon sparkle".

Considering the textless version is in the art book and doesn't include anything more about those hands, I think it's likely there is no full spread. It'd be cool if she drew one though.

Can't they just warm up all of the dust a bit and antarc will just drip out? Problem solved for him.

>Antarc would probably be even less then dust, she would be vapor
Space is pretty damn cold though, they'll likely still be dust.

And I still believe that seeing all the dusted gems back together is still a possibility, if only because I don't believe the moonies will get what they want in any way.

How strong would antarc have been on the moon at night

Well, I don't know what the temperature on the moon is. I based my statement on the fact the bismuth structures of the moonies were melting sometimes.
And I never said that it wasn't possible to restore the gems, just that I agree with that other guy that It's probably not going to happen for whatever reason. I hope the gems will all get a happy ending, but I don't know if it will.