There should be a new Fruits Basket adaptation

There should be a new Fruits Basket adaptation.

There shouldn't.

There is the sequel, but I see no point in a new adaptation. I doubt there is a demand for FB as CCS or SM.

But it's the best contemporary shoujo manga and the original anime never adapted the whole thing!

>the early anime fandom salt when the Akito reveal happened
As a young lad it was probably my first encounter with how fucking terrible fujoshits are.

I'm glad I never interacted with the community at that time, I hear there were fujos who hated Tohru and wanted her to be killed off.

Did she manage to get that martial arts teacher?

Yup. There were a bunch of large age gap relationships with teachers and students. That stuff would never fly in the US.

>sequel
Never realized there was one. The Sohmas are so well-adjusted in this. I guess that's the power of Tohru.

Correct.

If it were to be done, who should do it?

I'd prefer ovas, the first adaption was fine.

*adaptation
How is the sequel by the way?

Dunno. The original anime had some good episodes they just ended it early. I don't follow current anime, maybe JC Staff?

I just finished reading everything that's been scanned and it's okay. Main girl lives with an n-mom and has horrible self-esteem issues, gets roped into the Sohmas' business almost immediately. All the Sohmas introduced thus far are overwhelmingly nice and loving to the point of blending into one another in terms of personality. There's a couple nods to the original series like Hanajima's little brother being one of the professors and the Sohma fanclub living on even to this day.

It's kind of like being expected to be wrapped in a cozy blanket by someone you love but then the person starts strangling you with the blanket and telling you how cozy you are.

Sort of the flipside of next generation sequels that make the original ending seeming pointless by having the characters be shitty parents or their children have too many problems. If they don't have some sort of character conflicts and sorrows, especially for a series like Fruits Basket, it can seem a bit odd. But you don't want to make the original work seem pointless either by piling too much shit on. Usually the best solution should just be don't do sequels, at least not ones just one generation after the original. But if you really want to, you need to thread a need there between giving the kids enough to work with and making their lives a satisfactory ever after for the original cast.

So....Who won?
Cat or Mouse?

You don't know after this long? Cat. It felt like Yuki was going to win halfway through the series until Takaya changed her mind, though that may have been just misdirection on her part. There was romantic tension between them that wasn't really resolved.

I think this is just a case where a sequel shouldn't have been made because there's only so much Takaya can work with, having resolved the problems of the original cast. There's also a major problem with the pacing. In the original, the characters were added in at a reasonable pace and you got time to know them all fairly well before more were added and characters that originally got skimmed over or were side props like Arisa and Hanajima got time in the spotlight later on to make up for it. In this, she just keeps piling on Sohmas as fast as possible and barely spending any time with any particular individual beside the MC. Between that and their aforementioned universal overwhelming lovingness, all the Sohmas so far are extremely shallow and more or less interchangeable.

Cat. Yuki got out of the Tohru Bowl real early.

I never got the impression Yuki was a serious contender after the first couple volumes, especially after Tohru saw and accepted Kyo's monster form. I did think the replacement love interest was pretty shoehorned in.

I actually liked the replacement love interest a lot, I think Machi was her name? She had an interesting backstory. I was referring to the time Yuki kissed Tohru on the beach, but you're right, the bad boy almost always beats the pretty boy in romance manga.

It was obvious Kyou was the winner from day one. I wish she didn't retcon Yuki's feelings for Tohru, though.

With romance, it's almost always first boy/girl wins, regardless of their archetype. Fruits Basket is interesting in that it didn't work out that way.

Machi was great.

Yeah, Takaya turned them into maternal feelings for Tohru instead. That's the part I was a little confused about, but she probably had it all planned out. I thought Hiro developing romantic feelings for Tohru at the end there was a little weird too.

I never realized that but you're right.

Machi was funny, I liked the whole destruction sub-plot.

By volume 7 or so it was obvious Kyou was going to win.
And the whole mother twist was hinted really early, there were never any romantic tension between Yuki and Tohru except when he actually tried to force one (which he even mentions in his confession, most specifically the scene when they go to his brother's shop)

>I was referring to the time Yuki kissed Tohru on the beach
I always saw that scene as some sort of farewell, the text even says so since it says:
the lips that pressed so dearly, were the marks of an end, and a beginning.

The way it immediately switch to Izusu that had the same kind of feelings for Tohru than Yuki is pretty telling too.

If you just read Fruits Basket ignoring all shipping wars etc..., it's actually very competently told with a lot of foreshadowing early on