Mangaka jailed in Belarus

Daichi Yoshida, a manga artist, was unjustly jailed for 4.5 years. I'm not sure if this post is allowed, but I feel that more pepple need to know about it.
rferl.org/a/vintage-rifle-parts-japanese-artist-belarusian-prison/28998284.html

Other urls found in this thread:

rferl.org/a/belarus-japanese-artist-supreme-court-upholds-arms-smuggling-conviction/29050410.html
sb.by/articles/yaponets-pytalsya-provezti-oruzhie-iz-ukrainy-cherez-belarus-no-v-itoge-otpravilsya-v-koloniyu.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Bennett_Cup_(ballooning)
belsat.eu/en/news/u-menskim-aeraportse-zatrymali-yapontsa-z-arsenalam-zbroi/
interfax.by/news/belarus/1213065
kenyalaw.org/treaties/treaties/63/Convention-on-International-Civil-Aviation-Chicag
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A lot of people are unjustly imprisoned in Belarus.

Everything wrong with Belarus.

what has he worked on? he doesn't have a mangaupdates page

Sucks. That's why you don't go to these kind of countries.

Man, poor guy. Shit like this is why I'm terrified of going to places like China.

old news, this happened 2 years ago.

well his appeal got rejected very recently

rferl.org/a/belarus-japanese-artist-supreme-court-upholds-arms-smuggling-conviction/29050410.html

Wait if this is the case why didn’t Japan call for his extradition?

No, it happened a few months ago.

They are trying to do everything they can but Belarus is stubborn.

There are proof of him violating the law and his only defense is "well he didn't mean to do that". There's not much the Japs can do.

R u russian? :^)

While I don't feel it is his fault for going, I would venture to say that it was a foolish decision none the less.

Hope he gets out and there's some justice done. Kind of bullshit that the Japanese government is "doing all they can". I was worried when i brought back Nunchakus back from Okinawa and made sure I had my Black Belt in the bag with them so they could see why I had them. Pretty dumb to fly to a small country in eastern europe that area and buy weapon parts in person. Doesn't make what happened to him any less shitty.

Reminds me of the people who go to Iran for anything at all and then are surprised when they get locked up unfairly.

It happened in august 2016

I was going to ask him the same. Couldn't be any more russian if he tried but I still agree with him.

The guy was retarded thinking that the security guys of another country that he is LEAVING would know what the fuck the security is going to do in the country that he's entering. Going with the new EU laws on deactivated weapons he would've been fined and maybe even gotten a jail time of 3 years if he went to germany with those parts or france and the others.

His lawer disagrees. Basically, the parts he bought were antiques, not modern weapons. He didn't cross into Belarus, he was in transit. Transit is considered international territory. He was jailed unjustly.

Some european countries do not differentiate between antique or modern weapons. A flintlock could land you in jail.

A Nagant rifle is still basically a modern weapon.

We barbaric Russians don't care about the law, but progressive civilized Westerners should follow it and don't cry about injustice when they break the laws in another country. :^)

It's funny that the lawyer and the news are trying to spin this story into this.

If he buys nagant bolts and barrels that's considered an illegal item in most countries to import.

They're purposefully hiding what actual type it is. It COULD be a super old one but most common mosin types would still be cartridge fed 'modern' rifles. He definetaly didn't buy black powder parts.

This is 100% same shit as people smuggling drugs from australia to south east asia or something and getting caught pretending that they didnt know it was illegal and maybe even get them executed or life in jail.

BUT for this guy it's probably really just being retarded naive japanese and not him having any weird intentions.

If he's a collector of anything military related and especially weapons if the articles are to be believed he should've made sure the items he is carrying with him are legal BEFORE transiting other countries. Saying 'But the guys in the other country said it was fine' is not an excuse.

Some (or most) euro countries are retarded. ok sure.
The guy got arrested over some locks and barrels, they weren't even full guns. at least according to the link in Like if it was a full gun I'd give the local law some credit here, since you could, technically, shoot someone with that. But some components?

>But some components?
Ever heard of artisanal guns? With some components you can home brew a fucking gun, a shitty one but it still can kill.

My Great Uncle was shot down over Belarus during a Hot Air Balloon competition.

I miss him...

>Before departing Kyiv's Zhulyany Airport, Yoshida asked airport security personnel whether it was OK to travel with the rifle parts, his lawyer explains.
>Yoshida contends that airport security photographed each item and scanned his passport before telling him about 30 minutes later that all was fine.
Servers him right, he trusted hohols.

I'm not going to be an asshole here so I'm just going to assume you are either (a) american perceiving euro gun laws differently or (b) somebody who in general has nothing to do with guns and their parts

Both is fine, I just want to explain why what he did is a crime.

Let me explain it like this: I'm from Germany and I own both real shooting guns and deactivated antiques from ww2 and some deac modern rifles.

In germany unless you're a collector you're not allowed to own full auto guns.

Now, up until recently you were allowed to own deac weapons in germany that had their bolt cut off at a 45° angle and the barrel plugged up both in the back and front and 6 holes drilled through. Meaning that the trigger group and all of the components making it a fully automatic gun are still intact.

Now in the US, the parts that you need a license for and that you are not allowed to just put together into a functioning gun without a lot of paper work etc. are actually not the barrel or the bolt that you would find destroyed on a german deac but rather the trigger mechanisms that make the gun full auto would be what make the thing illegal.

SO, the item I have here in germany, is actually illegal to ship/import to the US.

For me it would be illegal to go to ukraine and buy those barrels and bolts. See what I'm getting at? If that was legal I could just fly to some other country with different or lax laws and get the parts that are illegal in my country, fly back home and build me a fully automatic rifle. All I'd need personally is a new barrel and bolt, I already have everything else.

That's why this guy is in jail.

Shit dude. Just looked it up, was it the 1995 one? That's fucked up

The collector excuse isn't cutting it anymore in Europe. Organized crime has been using the loophole pretty blatantly.

he was an idiot for not informing himself before getting there, he deserves it for his stupidity alone

Europe is retarded. No fucking wonder it's being invaded by muslims.

Same thing would happen in the US if you came from Europe with parts that were illegal in the states.

Yeah, my grandfather and his buddy got shot down during some Gordon Benett Hot Air Balloon competition over Belarus, too.
Was around 90'.
Man, time sure flies.
Belarus just straight up kills.

He shouldn't have fucked with Russians. Curious what sort of manga he will make after he gets out.

That means we are either related, or my Great Uncle and your Grandfather were friends lol. Was your Grandfather's name Alan or John?

Small world, eh?

He probably just assumed that because it's fine in Japan ( since they were broken in a way to stop them from functioning ) that it should be okay on the way to Japan.

Poor dumb bastard.

>a shitty one
I'll build a good one.

It seems to be a theme with japanese and also how japanese act when they fuck up in foreign countries.

'I just didn't know it was a crime'

Well, the same barrier which makes people have no idea what Japan and Japanese are like is the barrier preventing them from properly acting when abroad.

sb.by/articles/yaponets-pytalsya-provezti-oruzhie-iz-ukrainy-cherez-belarus-no-v-itoge-otpravilsya-v-koloniyu.html
Belarus report

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Bennett_Cup_(ballooning)

Well shit. No kidding. Sorry you guys

Looks luke a pro-Lukashenko propaganda shitsite.

Sankei say かばんの中から自動小銃カラシニコフや拳銃に使う弾倉、実弾、光学照準器などが見つかったという。

Inform the pepple

I'm surprised Japan has an embassy in Belarus. I guess they have one in North Korea too.

Belarus? Isn't that Russia's wang?

Someone explain what the fuck these small countries gain by doing this? Are the brass literally retarded and can't make judgement calls or is there a a genius political reason for jailing civilians who've done nothing wrong?

19th century gun parts only

I assume this is image of what they found, if that is the same incident? Although I am not sure if it is actually the same incident or just another unrelated incident that occurs at a similar timeframe
belsat.eu/en/news/u-menskim-aeraportse-zatrymali-yapontsa-z-arsenalam-zbroi/

They are just retards that jail anybody and don't give a shit because its their country and technically the dude did commit a crime. Poor bastard, suffering for being naive

The more irrelevant the country the hsrsher they are to foreigners doing crimes in their soil.

The police and detectives try to catch and sometimes even frame as many people as possible in order to move up the career ladder. Shitty police and justice system and corruption.

The country gains nothing. Understand these countries generally operate like mafias. The bureaucrats and cops gain bribes. He's not in jail because of any laws, he's in jail because he didn't bribe the right people.

It's ex-USSR, mate.
People who go shopping in Ukraine leave their cars at the border since any decent car would get taken by the police on no grounds whatsoever.
There's stories of idiots who didn't heed this advice, got stopped, told to take an alcohol test by blowing through rolled up newspaper and since the test was "positive", their car had been confiscated. Had to go home by bus and never saw the car again.

interfax.by/news/belarus/1213065

I mean it sucks for him, but let's be real here, going to another country to buy weapon components is pretty damn dumb, even if said compenents do not work anymore, people can still suspect it can repurposed to something else.

He got invited to an Anime festival in Ukraine because he's a mangaka. There he decided to buy some antique weapon parts to bring home because he's interested in history.

gtfo with your logic and common sense, this is not your place.

>>>/reddit/

Belarus might be a weird place, but this guy is clearly an idiot for trying to move weapon parts through CIS countries without every fucking safety net document he can get. That was a really stupid move.

>was thinking of buying a figure from someone from Belarus

Should I? What if the guy sends someone to kill me?

this

Like who? A combine operator armed with a sack of potatoes?

>belsat.eu/en/news/u-menskim-aeraportse-zatrymali-yapontsa-z-arsenalam-zbroi/

LOL anybody saying that stuff is antique is a fucking retard.

He bought both bolts and receivers for mosin nagants ww2 rifles.

Thats already a fucking gun you can kill people with, albeit a very unsafe one.

The Ak47 mags, grips and gas tubes are ok to import into most countries in the EU, but the receivers and bolts are items that need to be registered. Bolts more so than the receivers. Also lol at the amount and the fucking deac bullets. This guy was asking so hard for a prison sentence.

I had never heard about Belarus until now.

>amerimutts

bet half your families ancestry hails from that shithole

Maybe you know it as white russia?

Shoudl've just ordered from amazon t b h.

Per OP's reports, they should have been deactivated?

cont.

The BEST part about this is that most if not all the items he purchased in the ukraine are ILLEGAL to import into Japan in the first place

That's also why the japanese government is saying 'yeah we're doing all we can ; )'

wew, what a dingus.

Stuff on the photos, at least the bolts are clearly not deactivated. The white russian text only speaks of the bullets he got being deactivated.

He broke their countries law and is in jail for it. (and actually he broke the laws of his own as well, because you're not even allowed to bring ANY even deactivated parts to japan)

But then the letter attached to the report from the mangaka have specifically told readers to look at Chicago treaty chapter 17 article 4

>His mother says her son rarely understood what was going on around him.

He might just be literally retarded.

did he not realize he was supposed to pay off the judge?

There's no article 4 in chapter 17 of Chicago treaty.

That would get him an even bigger sentence.

there is no such thing

>kenyalaw.org/treaties/treaties/63/Convention-on-International-Civil-Aviation-Chicag

I think he misunderstood something or doesnt actually know what he's talking about

kakaezaia belorysnia degenerati, prosto pizdec.

That's awful. He was stupid to try to do that and really should've known better, but jail generally sucks so I can only imagine how much it does in ex-USSR

belorussia didn't even exist when that was signed, the USSR didn't sign it and it generally has nothing to do with his case

I think this guy might just be a nut job

He could kill time in jail by watching some Bob Ross, that landscape is messy.

In some ways it might be better than the US. At the very least, pressuring an inmate without him doing something dumb and especially when he doesn't know the rules is generally against the Soviet inmate culture.

But thats Polan

is this thread about how he did nothing wrong because he's japanese, despite violating the law?

That's not how international law works. Belarus is a part of this treaty by now.

Did anyone find his comic? Any Japs can search the japnet for it?

I just think a fine would have been enough in this case.

proofs?

I think at this point we can agree it's about how he's a fucking retard thinking he can smuggle guns through several countries and into japan.

It specified 1944 07 12 so it must be that treaty, but then the way it specify subparts are confusing, does the treaty even have subparts?

B

Remember when Lukashenko made fun of Westerwelle for being a fag?
I think Belarus just doesn't give a fuck.

Why is he writing in English and not Japanese?

good post

>proofs?

He probably want to caught attention from (((international community))). I don't think it is even reported in Japan other than the initial arrest without personal details that lead people into believing maybe the guy being arrested was actually North Korean or Islamic Jihadist with fake Japanese passport

thank you

No, he's not. He used a Japanese/Russian interpreter during court. They also contacted his mother in Japan and took interview. It's all in the article, no need to make shit up.

That's during the court ruling. I am talking about why he would wrote the letter in English. The letter have nothing to do with juridical process

Ok, so the new report say he exited Ukraine mid-August in 2016, but the reason he went to Ukraine was for an art festival in an ocean side city of Ukraine that took place in June of the year? So that would mean he stated in Ukraine for at least 1.5 months?

You were Belarused

wew