What do you think about the artstyle in Utena? I like the vibrant color choices, fashion, and architecture...

What do you think about the artstyle in Utena? I like the vibrant color choices, fashion, and architecture, but the characters look QUALITY mode for 99% of the time. Also the backgrounds look lazy/static a lot because of the minimal watercolor approach.

It's styling itself over old school shoujo like Rose of Versailles.

and background is obviously based on glass mosaics

Oh I fucking love it. It's one of the most gorgeous shows, in terms of design, around imo. The background works are incredible.

Especially since it's so focused on taking apart different aspects of shoujo and "princess" tropes, I think its character/art design style really works - having a hyper-stylized shoujo romance look, coupled with a really dream-like/surreal and sometimes fairy-tale esque vibe. Its great.

Wannabe Dezaki

I love it. It's meant to follow the artstyle of then-contemporary shoujo manga, so it looks off from other anime. Hence why people who don't into shoujo think like when it was commonplace
The lines are so crisp, a fact aided by the large lensed camera they recorded Utena on.

I love the Wakaba fight.
I cannot remember who animated it, but it and Juri's were the absolute best

You're a very silly man if you don't think Utena takes cards from Dezaki's playbook.

I loved it.

It's a great looking show. I just wish there wasn't so much reused animation and the second arc seems kind of unneeded.

I cannot really argue against you, so I guess your right.
Dezaki has had plenty of influence on anime, even if one could disqualify some of his more apparent influences on Utena

>the characters look QUALITY mode for 99% of the time. Also the backgrounds look lazy/static a lot because of the minimal watercolor approach
Neither of these are true.

I find it wears on me only if I binge watch it. Watching one episode every few days is pretty optimal

watercolour backgrounds are fucking gorgeous
I wonder why so many of the greatest series ever made use it

It isn't Dezaki unless it has his trademark lighting effects and funny double takes.

thankfully they also passed on dated postcard memories

A lot of 90's kids shows did it. Utena aired at kid times, by the way.

T. Rebecca Sugar

Ikuhara is my favourite children's television show creator

Naturally

where the nopan at

Akemi Hayashi most likely

thank you to whoever made this.

Post that QUALITY that appears whenever she walks up the stairs

I love it.

>reused animation
I loved the stair climbing scene every single episode. It never got old and filled me with joy every time. Those lyrics were so bizarre.

>got DESIGNATED
>chad
nope