Rakudai vs Asterisk

I know I'm late to this debate since this was 2 years ago.
But I'm watching Asterisk right now (after listening to the internet and dropping it) and it's a better fucking anime all around.
The only thing Rakudai is good at is Stella. Everything else is Mahouka Magika DxD.
Asterisk is a slower start but it has better fights, better music, less OP protagonist, better proportioned women, etc.

I don't know about less OP protag, but the rest I agree with.

Both of them were completely boring and bland to me so I just watched the one that looked the most visually appealing of the two. Which was Rakudai

Stella a best. A BEST.
Shut up.

I know both of them are haremtrash and I'm not denying it. What I'm saying is that Asterisk was actually the better show among the two. Rakudai just starts faster.

Stella is nice, but I prefer Asterisk for Claudia, and its OP/ED music.

I only watched Rakudai and thought it was kind of good for a battle harem.
Dropped Asterisk after the first episode and later my favourite e-celeb told me that it is indeed shit so I probably won't pick it up again.

It's just an observation.

Most of those are debatable, but less OP protag? Come on, that's just not true.

Both are shit. I dropped both around 6 episodes in.

Adaptation-wise: Asterisk > Rakudai > Taimadou
Harem: Asterisk > Taimadou > Rakudai
MC: Taimadou > Rakudai > Asterisk
Main Girls: Julis > Ouka > Stella
Best Girls: Mari > Kirin > Shizuku
Plot: Taimadou > Rakudai > Asterisk
OP: Asterisk = Taimadou > Rakudai
ED: WAITING FOR THE RAIN > Taimadou ED > Ali Project
OST: Taimadou > Rakudai > Asterisk
Animation: Asterisk > Rakudai > Taimadou
Battles: Rakudai >= Asterisk > Taimadou
Fanbase: Taimadou > Asterisk > Rakudai

>Fanbase
are you telling me that any of them have a following big enough to be considered a fanbase?

>pink houki
>above Ouka and Stella

nice joke

>Plot: Taimadou > Rakudai > Asterisk
I have issues with this. Taimadou is not better than Asterisk imo in terms of plot, even if it was a bit more emotional. For one, Asterisk's harem members actually have other things to do besides orbit around the MC all the time, which leads to different plot threads that don't exactly center on the MC solving it. Without the MC in Taimadou, none of the harem members would even talk to each other, and I've read the LN (except the last volume).

You're kidding, right? Stella is the worst thing about Rakudai. She's also an awful neo tsundere and was the worst harem main heroine of her year. Imouto was best girl by far with the best fight.

Fuck off. Stella was the best harem main heroine of 2015.

Antimagic's plot is definitely better. It has an compelling magic vs anti-magic war plot that affects the world and we get to perspective from both sides of the war. Having an overarching story from finish to end that make you care about the main cast's struggle and journey is better than the loosely connected strings of smaller plots the other two have.

Nope. I see you're still here, retarded Stellafag.

Yep. The only main heroine that can compete is Ouka. Nobody else comes close.

Said no one ever.

>implying Ouka wouldn't shit all over Stella
Thanks for the laugh, delusional Stellafag.

Agreed with everything except for...
>Harem: Asterisk > Taimadou > Rakudai
Taimadou has the best harem.
>Best Girls: Mari > Kirin > Shizuku
Switch Kirin and Shizuku around.

This

To me the war was retarded in the first place because kids were running it. I always have issues when kids get to dictate how a war goes instead of being pawns for more experienced, if less powerful for the sake of story, adults.
But you have a point about the overarching theme.

Agreed. I like in Asterisk how most of the heroines have an actual goal outside of wanting to suck MC's dick. If anything its the MC that doesn't really have a goal. Most of the time he's just tagging along.

You've been into anime and manga for how long? You should be used to youths being at the center of the story by now. At least Antimagic handled it better than most, especially in the way adults are actually useful, important, and influenced the the main characters' actions, as well as the direction of the story on various levels. After all, the older characters were the ones who set the stage and one of the themes of the overall story is to break free from their wills/schemes to control their own fate/destiny.

>neo tsundere
I fucking hate this shit. She was never a tsundere to begin with.

Ayato is literally worse than Ichika.

t.butthurt Claudiafag who likes worst slut.

>You've been into anime and manga for how long?
Probably way before you user. You wouldn't catch me watching harem if you talked to me 5 years ago.

Don't get me wrong. I liked Taimadou and it had some very emotional segments like the bunny boobs and the scientist.

Listen up you faggots.

Monogatari is NOT a harem. Arararagi walked Hitagi home gently.
Sword Art Online is NOT a harem. Kirito is dating Asuna and had sex with her. TWO YEARS WORTH OF GLOP.
Mahouka is NOT a harem. Onii-sama is asexual, and can only have feelings for Miyuki.
Nisekoi is NOT a harem. Ichijou is in love with Onodera, and as the title suggest, his love for Chitoge is FAKE.
Toradora is NOT a harem. Taiga fucking won.
Yahari is NOT a harem. 8man has been shown to have no romantic interest in any of them, just sexual attraction.
Danmachi is NOT a harem. Bell is clearly shown to only have interest in Ais.
Index is NOT a harem. Touma punches every girl he meets. That's not love.
Log Horizon is NOT a harem. Shirou is not a pedo, and the only other valid contender is Akatsuki.
Cross Ange is NOT a harem. Ange is straight and has no feelings for Hilda. Plus She and Tusk had SEX.
Absolute Duo is NOT a harem. Why do you think it's called Absolute DUO and not Absolute HAREM?
The World God Only Knows is NOT a harem. Keima confessed his love to Chihiro!
Dog Days is NOT a harem. Cinque and Millhiore declared their love for each other. Rebecca has no chance.
OreShura is NOT a harem. Eita is dating Silver. They even kissed in front of everyone.
Love Hina is NOT a harem. Keitaro and Naru got married and they love each other very much.
Saekano is NOT a harem. It's about how to raise _A_ boring girlfriend.
Rakudai is NOT a harem. Ikki proposes to Stella in vol 3!

I repeat: Rakudai is NOT A HAREM.

You know what's a harem? Asterisk. Asterisk is a shitty generic battle harem, unlike Rakudai, which is sophisticated and has a well though out romance.

Nice pasta.

But to clear it up, even if one girl wins at the end something can absolutely be a harem.

>You wouldn't catch me watching harem if you talked to me 5 years ago.
You're still quite new, mate. Add 17 to your 5 and that's how long I've been into this entire industry.
>Don't get me wrong
I get that, but, you know, it's not like Asterisk and Rakudai don't have kids being a the center of major conspiracies and country-changing plot by being involved in battles and conflicts either.

being at*

Both are pretty shit but we all know that.

Personally I felt Rakudai was better because we actually got romance between Stella and MC.
Also the anime felt more complete as a narrative.
Rakudai made the setting clear and all the protagonists. Got to the tournament without much ado and had the final fight set up nicely. Mc gets the girl and everyone is happy more or less. Its more standalone imo.

Asteriks just drags out everything for too long and leaves us with tons of open questions after two seasons of battle-harem shenanigans.

>implying 5 years ago was when I got into anime
I don't understand your dick measuring. Are you trying to say your taste is better or something? Our tastes are both shit user.

What I like about Asterisk is that the MC isn't the center of the plot. Rakudai and Taimadou are. And again, I'm not saying it's bad, just a preference. What makes Asterisk equal to Taimadou imo is that for whatever it lacks in the originality department, it makes up for it in diverging plot points which doesn't explicitly need the MC's intervention.

>haremtrash

Rakudai isn’t a harem anime.

You make it sound like Asterisk is Infinite Stratos.

>implying it isn't

Who cares? If girls are cute enough to warrant watching it then watch it.

It's harem the same way Nisekoi and TWGOK are. Just because MC gets with one girl at the end doesn't erase the harem elements.

So far it isn't. It's more compelling than IS. I've yet to read the LN though after 2 seasons so maybe it gets worse like you're implying.

Infinite Stratos had better girls by a long shot. And interaction with the girls make these shows worthwhile or not.

Asteriks had what? Main girl, big titted prez(fine bae I admit) and maybe the sister?
Ohh yeah and the girl with the ear-splitting voice that we were told to care about in season 2.

Taste and culture are things one acquire and refine through the passage of time as one's understanding grows. So... I'm making point as to why you are bothered by kids being in a war. You aren't used to it, among other things.

Rakudai and Asterisk's respective MCs drive the story from their PoV majority of the time though. One can say that they are at the center, even if other characters have their own little side plot. It's not too different from Antimagic, albeit Takeru is the center in which all the girls revolve around and is the reason they are all together. Anyways, agree to disagree if nothing else.

>Infinite Stratos had better girls by a long shot.
Bye.

> So... I'm making point as to why you are bothered by kids being in a war. You aren't used to it, among other things.
Bro I live in a place where kid soldiers are the norm. Don't make rash judgements like that.
All I'm saying is that I dislike it when kids run the show like adults weren't around. If they had something to justify it then fine. Antimagic didn't have any.

Not talking about point of view. Talking about character motivations. Asterisk girls had their own outside of the MC. Taimadou had none. Again, I keep repeating myself, it's not a bad thing, it's just a preference.

iirc the reason there's teenagers in the war in antimagic is cause the last war brought the human population so down they had to use kids. Similar to muv luv if you want an example.

>implying Asteriks had a good harem
Jesus Christ please kill yourself already.
They where totally forgettable. At least you can clearly assign the IF girls with certain characteristics like where they are from.

>Taste and culture are things one acquire and refine through the passage of time as one's understanding grows.
Also I disagree with this. There's lots of people out there who are older than us but don't refine their taste or however you call it. It's not a catch all.

I also remember that reason but it was no excuse for higher ups to not be adults running the show. It was kids who were making hideouts in different dimensions, kids who were making artificial soldiers, etc. There's the aftereffects of war where you had to replace numbers with schoolchildren, and then there's what antimagic did.

This isn't even good bait. Bye.

>tfw the anime ended right before best girls' arc

They were all three so bad that the entire magic battle academy harem genre crashed shortly after the season when they aired. The only exception was Rokudenashi, which wasn't enough to save the genre. There's a reason it's currently winter season, when the trashiest anime traditionally air, but there's not a single anime in this genre currently airing.

That said, I'm partial to Taimadou for having the best waifu and the least cringeworthy plot development. The last few episodes of Rakudai were really difficult to force myself to watch, and I didn't even bother watching the second season of Asterisk.

>better proportioned women
Fucking kill yourself, you and your kin.

>and it's a better fucking anime all around
this

the adults were running the show tho. Sougetsu was literally the leader of the Inquistion and knew what the main cast was doing, Orochi/Mother Goose as leaders of the magic side, and you got Nagaru as leader of the 3rd side but she's not completely human, wasn't always in charge of the 3rd side. True tho for a 17 year old she looks like a kid but she's damn competent.

Rakudai had sharkteeth and a based as fuck OP. Stella was the worst part of the show and it would have been exponentially better if her romance didn't exist or if she was the antagonist the MC would eventually hook up wih after a hotblooded bout.

They might as well have been figureheads imo. Only MC's group's actions mattered somehow and by the last book they were just chasing the MC's sister.

You can see how little of an effect Taimadou has on me despite me reading the novels except the last book. I usually remember these things too. Maybe you're right and I just need to reread it.
OSO best novel there though.

>1st ED by Sakamoto Maaya
>2nd ED by Haruka Chisuga
That's all I need to know that Asterisk is better.

Asterisk had such a Godlike OST and Animation. It didn't deserve such a good adaption it really fucking didn't. It got a 2nd season too like Goddamn, I would watch a season 3 just for the music and action.

Pretty much this.

I wish the delinquent was the MC's bro at the start instead of the red haired whore.

That's why I said it was a better anime. It's a top notch popcorn flick.

Nah man most of the events of the LN were caused by adults. Takeru's contract with lapis was due to sougetsu, Kiseki going crazy in vol 5 was due to sougetsu putting kyouya near her, kiseki going crazy later on was due to haunted and sougetsu took advantage. Sure the main group's actions mattered but so did the adults.

>ISfag
People like this still exist?

I liked Rakudai for the spectacle more desu. Though I am a sucker for muh honor and muh chivalry shit when it comes to duels. Barely remember anything about Asterisk except maybe Kirin's fight and the glorious ED.

Well Sougetsu was the villain so obviously he'd matter a lot in the story lol. But you have a point.

Speaking of battle harem anime, you guys know one where the first episode opening had a dragon attacking a castle? Pretty sure it also had magic and the setting is like medieval futuristic but I can't remember anything else for the life of me and it's been bugging me ever since.

I believe Aniplex were expecting Asterisk to be a big hit like SAO which is why it had so much advertising and merchandise.

Well that backfired after looking at it 2 years after season 2 aired.

Seikoku no Dragonar?

Asterisk > Rakudai. Fact.

We all agree that Antimagic is the king of the trio right?

On the western side, it doesn't help that a certain infamous youtuber that has quite a big following comepletly shat on Asterisk which then spread around.

No, that's not it sorry. I pretty certain the dragon never talked or change shape.

It was at the very first, before the OP even started.

One day there will come a time when people will realize these hacks opinions are no valid as ours.

To be fair this might have been a big hit had IS not been the premier example of sci fi magic battle harem.

Too bad that SAO just had to usher in the isekai deluge even if it wasn't isekai itself.

>no valid
*no more valid

>2 years ago
pls tell me you are joking

>this was 2 years ago.
Seriously? I'm getting fucking old

Yes. No contest.

Asterisk was objectively better.

Asterisk has much better girls and setting but MC is garbage.

They really need to animate the all-girl spinoff.

>This thread
Amerifat shit taste in everything is all I can see.

You forgot to mention that Asterisk didn't have Stella.

Seriously the most insecure fucking fags itt
>WOW this is such fucking trash ha.ha
>But I still watch it, read the light novels and discuss it, B-BUT I HATE THIS GARBAGE.

Just admit it, you like this type of shit, you're a fan, you have bad taste, it's okay stop pretending like you dread over moment, you like light novel garbage embrace, no ones going to bully you, it's the internet holy shit.

Stop prefrencing shit with anything along the lines of
>"it's shit...BUT"

You like it, just admit it and enjoy you anime.

Kill yourself, rakutard

Series like Asterisk honestly make me angry because they have potential to be good but it's all ruined by being generic haremshit with terrible lead.

But Stella is better than any girl in Asterisk.

Why did the animation team spend so much time and budget animating the robot genius only for her to be completely pointless?

Only angsty amerifat teens liked Asterisk, it was a pile of pure shit compared with Rakudai.

These series have zero potential to actually be good, it's inherently trashy, and you like it, you like trashy light novel battle harem anime, that's okay, it appeals to you, that's your taste.
Quit trying to distance yourself from it, or pretend like it's uncool.

You're a fan, except it.

This crap had crazy animation in general. If only entire show was like that Kirin/Saya episode.

Fuck off. You can like the girls while hating the dude and haremshit part. It was barely watchable.

>I-it was barely watchable!!
>I nearly died while torrenting this absolute trash onto my computer
>I procceeded to sit down and enjoy the show!
>IT WAS SO PAINFUL SELF INSERTING AND HAVING MY OWN HAREM
>I nearly had an anerism the next day when I discussed the episode on Sup Forums
>Wow this show is so bad, let me watch the next episode
>I-I'm totally hating this

You like it, you like the show, it appeals to you, you have bad taste, that's okay, just admit it, quit with all the buts.

>Taste and culture are things one acquire and refine through the passage of time as one's understanding grows.

>tfw you will never be as much of a faggot as the user who typed this shit

I'd watch the hell out of a spin-off with these two hanging out together.

It's not exactly wrong. After all, Sup Forums hates newfags and normalfags for good reasons.

Yeah but I'm not going to write an essay on how deep the plot for color-coded harem anime is

Rakudai was bad but I like it. I remember Taimadou and Rakudai being at least enjoyable to watch but Asterisk was absolute trash

I'm rather amazed at those who have the stomach to watch asterisk till the last episode. I dropped that show at around 5 minute mark in the first episode back when it was airing.

It was a after a year that I tried to watch asterisk again only to drop it again after finishing episode 1.

Last month I tried to watch it again because my friends kept insisting that it had some really good fight scenes. I had to lower my standards to somehow watch up to episode 3 BUT I FUCKING DROPPED IT FOR GOOD AT EPISODE 4!!

Shows like Asterisk shouldn't be allowed to exist at all. I seriously wonder why it even got a second season. The only good thing at it is the opening song.

>I seriously wonder why it even got a second season.
Because it was always planned to have 24 episodes. Aniplex just spilt it and gave it a 1 cour break.

Asterisk was shit, but the girls were cute.