Overlord Light Novel

Alright so I usually never read light novels but I like Overlord and found a few Amazon gift cards lying around with some cash on them, should I just cave and buy them or will the anime adaptation be good enough (inb4 "of course retard" sperging)?

so far the season 2 of the anime has been a steaming pile of shit, but the LNs are quite enjoyable

>so far the season 2 of the anime has been a steaming pile of shit
I've heard that said around here alot, but Sup Forums tends to get nit picky about adaptations. Is it just the animation quality or is it the pacing generally that's the issue?

there's too much exposition and world building.It's alright if you are reading the LN, but that doesn't fit the format of a weekly show with 12 episodes, there's no appeal to keep watching the show since nothing interesting happens.

It's fine, don't listen to that fag.

Just read the LN

I'll keep watching but I said fuck it and ordered the first 2 light novels, there are only 6 available on amazon though, where can I get the rest in hard cover format?

On it skelly bro, but where can I get them translated in English past volume 6?

The official translation is only up to 6.

If you look for each volume's 'black edition' pdf you should be able to hunt down the fan translations.

Fuck paying for shit. Rather read it if it's somewhere online. It is isn't it?

I like owning and collecting physical copies of books, it's a hobby.

From what i've watched I've enjoyed it, but it's definitely taking time introducing a lot of other characters. Idk why people hated on the Lizard folk though, I thought they were entertaining as hell. And the albino lizzy is so goddamn cute.

Cool, I might just wait for the hard covers though, tend to hate reading PDF's

I feel like I and maybe Sup Forums as a whole would enjoy the lizard stuff if It they just marathoned through it, maybe just having to wait each week for a new episode added to it coming off as a bit dry.

See maybe that's why i didn't mind it, I binged through all the way to the latest ep

yeah, certainly this season would be more enjoyable if you just dropped it right now and marathoned the whole thing one month from now

Maybe that's why a lot of people can't stand Overlord as an anime adaption, well after I get the light-novels I'll find out for myself.

Maybe, I'm bretty busy anyway, might check back in a month

People really aren't liking it? Really seemed like people had a lot of good to say about it in the threads at least initially. But now that I think about it, I can see how people would get impatient if they wanted more focus on Ainz

I binged the dub, sue me, I really enjoyed the VAs they got.

Didn't check the dub, is it any good or do they just recycle the same va's like usual?

I feel like some are recognizable, but none stick out off the top of my head except the one lizard chieftain is Mr Satan. And Ainz's in-character VA is on fucking point.

>Ainz's in-character VA is on fucking point
Nice, are both his inner monologue voice and Ainz voice good or just Ainz?

whats the series about? looks a lot like devilman or berserk from the picture.

His inner monologue is your typical average joe voice, but it works for him perfectly because he sounds believable. Apparently someone in another thread said the character VA for Ainz used to do stuff here?

Read the text below the title.

The anime loses a lot points OP, you'll see. They're not skipping over much, it's just not very suited for a TV format.
Less than half of the chapters are from Ainz POV, and a lot of the fun comes from people reading the situation wrong because of their expectations. You lose this narrative.
There's also a lot of subtle foreshadowing and world building that comes off wrong too. For example episode 1, they didn't have time to properly do those segments so just went for a weird mix. Everything is "in you face" and really bland.
Also the battle scenes have an animation so lame I think it detracts from the original.

The MC is the head of an elite guild in a game that's about to shutdown. He decides to spend the last hour of the game wandering the halls and reminiscing until the clock strikes 12:00, expecting to get booted. But that doesn't quite happen and his game world becomes real and he's stuck in it, trying to figure out exactly what happened. It has (in my opinion) a great balance of humor, action and violence. Though some people say there's not enough action.

Yeah that sounds about right, he sounds like a normal Jap in the anime too.
>Apparently someone in another thread said the character VA for Ainz used to do stuff here?
Now that is interesting, any clue as to what?

The best LNs are Ainz LNs.

>there's not enough action.
I feel like it makes sense because of how overpowered he is, if he wanted he could probably straight up destroy the world with ease. World building can be really boring but in a show like this you need to have interesting relationships and dialogue to help balance the fact that the MC doesn't really face any serious threats.

>Now that is interesting, any clue as to what?
No idea, you'd have to ask in the main thread, i could be misremembering that tid-bit.

I think what I like about how OP he is in this is that it makes total sense. He's not a Gary Stu for the sake of being one, he's a max level player using years of knowledge and items earned to do everything. It's like he's playing end-game stuff at all times, so it all makes sense.

The best parts (allegedly) come after the Volume 4, 5 and 6 that the anime covers.

Yeah it makes sense to me and at least there is not much self insert bs, closest we get is Albedo but at least she was literally programmed to love him as a gag

And that's something any of us would do despite it being pathetic and cringy, which he openly acknowledges.

Tell me she's going to be okay Sup Forums.
Tell me she's going to live a peaceful life as a protector of the Sorcerous Kingdom Sup Forums.
TELL ME SHE'S GOING TO LIVE Sup Forums!!!

She'd better. If she dies entirely because Ainz is too autistic to see she's into him I'm gonna be depressed as hell.

she ded

She will die for defending Ainz in public, then he'll feel bad about it and rezz her with perks.

I can accept this.
Knowing Maruyama, this is the most likely outcome.

Im only on the 4th LN.

Give me a summary about her without spoiling please, whats so cool about her?

Is she just a moeblob?

She thinks Ainz is awesome. Too bad the autist thinks she hates him because her eyes are always glaring at everyone.

She's pure hearted, but still looks at things practically.
You could say that she'd get along with Sebas rather well.

Why buying because English translation still stuck on vol 6 when you can download the spin into vol 12

Guy larps as a lvl 100 skeleton king in a lvl 20 world.

Pretty sure it will be misunderstanding again
It will be Neia saves the holy kingdom troops from monster hordes with ainz's bow

While remedios start sperging about it

You can do both, and supporting the series/author and all that.

Hopefully she ends up in an important position thanks to Ainz-sama's sasugas.

Sorry but not sorry I won't do that
Cuz I am evil
.......as evil as ainz-sama

Personally I think they're beautiful and bought them to put on my shelf.

Holy shit why is the QUALITY so fucking ridiculous in the newest episode?

It's a slice of life sitcom about a doting mr magoo eldritch abomination and his family of man eating nazis. Also world building.

It's basically just about exploring an unknown world and dealing with being incompetent.

It's not action heavy. There's little danger in every fight because the protag is knowingly OP. It's more about character development, information gathering, and diplomatic relations.

>whats the series about? looks a lot like devilman or berserk from the picture.
The author created this series due missing his D&D pals who he played for years.
It seemingly starts a stressed sales worker from Future Japan who works in one of the soulless black mega-corporations that govern the ultra-polluted planet in his dystopia of a society in a semi-apocalyptic future. He plays a game that uses "nanomachines" and direct-brain connection because there is literally nothing else to do: if you want to go outside, you can't due a. nature is destroyed, b. bands of criminal marauders operating with impunity, c. toxic gases everywhere, d. any other fun or distracting activity costs a lot and/or is the luxury of the ultra-rich. This game is called Yggdrassil and has hundreds of possible races to pick, with a lot liberty to customize your character visually (like, literally coding/designing) and play-wise (you can pick several classes out of thousands). It's also focused on exploration and discovery: it doesn't give you a map or clear instructions, players have to figure out everything by themselves - there are even mysteries and systems that were never discovered - so information becomes a priority and priced element people fight for, trade for and hide when convenient.
It also allows groups of people to create or modify existing places into their own bases/cities, adding traps, monsters loyal to them, etc. They can even create custom NPCs and program their behavior (between certain limits), appearance and add "flavor text" to them that describes who they are.
Yggdrasil is fantasy-themed, taking inspiration mainly in Norse mythology, but a lot of elements from D&D, Christianity, occult sciences and other mythologies were also incorporated.
(Cont).

it does have that old Dr.Strange feel to it; it's not about whether the protagonist is strong enough to deal with what's going on, but rather how he'll figure it out in the first place and try to deal with it.

well, except for one little part I forgot to mention:
unlike Dr.Strange, Ainz has no goddamn clue what he's doing.
So maybe more Inspector Gadget in that way - complete with far more competent relatives living with him.

Is Momon-san actually a bony helter skelter IRL?

if all off ToN went all out against the world would them have by now conquered the world ??

Yes. Author said that if the entire world combined against Nazarick, they'd only manage to put everyone back in the Tomb.

What? No. Momon-san is a real human bean just like you and me. He's just really strong and nice and helpful and hates evil and doesn't afraid of anything.
That's probably how he landed a babe on par with Nabe. Chicks crave strong guys (as you know).

I want to fuck Solution.

I wouldn't recommend it.

That doesn't take into account other players, nazarick would get rekt.

I want her to melt my penis

Thanks for these threads I dropped the anime and started to read all the novels, I'm starting the vol.7, and I'm just enjoying the ride, the pace it feels good.

>I'm starting the vol.7
hoh boy
time for another "ADVENTURES DINDU NUFFIN, AINZ IS AN AUTIST" post in a few hours

nah, by now, I'm not attached to any character or group, I'm just enjoying the ride, but only time will tell.

Im going to screencap this post just in case.

Buy it nigga.

Well, my biggest issues are mostly with tone and character details, which I think Madhouse screws up a lot.

It's almost like the Lizardman and Eight Fingers arcs are so full of world building and development for too many other characters not related to Nazarick that they don't translate well into animated format. Ironically, I prefer the anime Lizardman arc over the novel one, because it FEELS shorter, and to the point, but I think having gone into it already knowing everything from the novel helped.

vol 9 > 6 > 3 > 7 > 11 > 8 > 10 > 12 > 5 > 2 > 4 > 1