What are you watching?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!6V1RBBYR!7VTtGdRLebxo8Hao70m6MIXmDcoi1sVMrvOEhKmAyHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zUYcZ3ZQoOg
youtube.com/watch?v=sRrdP9GJPqo
youtu.be/I3vNcFFYx78?t=2m3s
youtube.com/watch?v=C4f9qlTylKk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Will a back-to-back pre-2000s thread last?

I've been looking at my "Plan to watch" list and I got Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä, that movie is from Winter 1984 so I guess I'm going to watch that soon.
Another old anime I put there is Mirai Shounen Conan from Spring 1978. Anyone seen this?

>Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä
Good for a Ghibli movie. Mediocre movie in general. Really shitty cheap ending.
>Mirai Shounen Conan
One of the best shows from the 80's

Damn, you haven't seen Nausicaa? It's pretty good. Everyone says the manga is better than the movie, but the movie is fantastic for what it is despite not telling the entire story or whatever.

70's* I mean. Misclicked

>Damn, you haven't seen Nausicaa?
No, I haven't seen it despite it being one of the more popular Ghibli films apparently.
Studio Ghibli films I watched are:
>Gake no Ue no Ponyo
>Hotaru no Haka
>Howl no Ugoku Shiro
>Kurenai no Buta
>Mononoke Hime
>Neko no Ongaeshi
>Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
>Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
>Tonari no Totoro
I think Princess Mononoke is still my favorite anime movie.

Right now just Turn A Gundam and Slam Dunk. Hoping to get a few more older things in before Summer.

I'm about to get to THAT part in Nadia.
Im not sure what to do with that.

Watched Ninja Scroll for the second time the other night. I don't know whether it was because of the blu-ray allowing to bask in based Kawajiri's animation more, but I greatly enjoyed it this go round. Most of the fights weren't as fluid as I hoped they would be (the scene where Jubei slices a bunch of ninja fodder being particularly cheap), but that just made the final fight a lot more intense and visceral. Like most Kawajiri films it was pure schlocky fun with excellent animation and directing, and that's what's truly important. Kawajiri's one of my favorite directors and I hope he directs another anime eventually.

The dub was also GOAT and holds up surprisingly well for a 90's dub

Remember to discard any retards shilling Ideon.

The filler is a bit better than its reputation. It starts by exploring some nice ideas, before devolving into stupid and a bit frustrating, but not boring, comedy, sprinkled with some plot relevant stuff. The most hateworthy part is only two episodes, and it wraps up with a fun and unique episode completely different from everything else and worth it.

I'm reading Trigun Maximum right now.

Is it just me or is Urusei Yatsura shitty compared to Ranma 1/2?

It's an original series, there is no filler technically

>using the weeb names instead of the English titles
Why do people who aren't Japanese do this? The fuck is Kurenai no Buta? Just say Porco Rosso.

Initial D second stage
More of the same when compared to first stage but I'm still having a blast
Though I don't like how everybody looks glossy now and for some reason they changed Ryosukes hair color, now he looks extacly the same as Takumi

And Patlabor
Comfy cop show with mechs
I love Noa

in this specific case I was too lazy to type it out so I just copied it from the studio Ghibli list
I got used to some Japanese names though

The filmography of Rintaro
Gun-buster
Aim for Ace
Macross

It's just you because generally people say Urusei Yatsura is the far superior series. Most of it wasn't tainted by DEEN shit which you can't say the same for Takahashi's other works.

I don't get the hype behind it Urusei Yatsura isn't half as funny as Ranma

Watching Hokuto no Ken. Will probably watch either Nadia, Takarajima or Mirai Shounen Conan along with it.

What is THAT part? Right now i'm like 24 episodes in and the kids are trapped on an island which is pretty fucking boring. Can't believe i'm only halfway through. This shit needs to wrap itself up. Also what is Nadia's fucking problem?
>REEEEEEEEEEE I can't believe you people would eat poor animals
>REEEEEEEEEEE I can't believe you shot the man who was pointing a gun at me you murderer
>REEEEEEEEEEE Don't tell me to do something that will obviously protect me
fucking kill yourself.

Old anime is objectively shit.

>Urusei Yatsura isn't half as funny as Ranma
That's where opinions come in.

>Really shitty cheap ending
How so? pretty sure the manga is more complex and all but for a 2 hours movie it was well done in a simple way

Best pirate anime

How does it compare to the novel? I finished reading it last month but I didn't expect to enjoy it so much figuring Long John Silver will have been ruined by too many bad pop culture parodies.

>The filmography of Rintaro
Which ones user? Which ones!

You need to look at it in the context of what happened before the island, that makes it easier to understand Nadia. I found the first island to be interesting, only at the second island did things start to get bad

I have a hard time finding this. Someone should upload it to youtube or some shit.

All of it including the ones that get shit on by anime fans like Harmagedeon and that weird Final Fantasy anime
Dagger of Kumui was actually really good

I uploaded it to mega a while ago and posted it in one of these threads. I'm a big fan of Rintaro, hope you enjoy it.
Here you go: mega.nz/#!6V1RBBYR!7VTtGdRLebxo8Hao70m6MIXmDcoi1sVMrvOEhKmAyHQ

It's dope.

Nausicca is on par with Totoro, Mononoke and Sen to Chihiro for me.

Posted this in the last thread. It's been updated to include a couple more works and fix some errors.

Darker, less saturated background and brighter words would work better.

>Nausicca is on par with Totoro
so basically you're saying it's shit since Totoro is hot garbage and dull as fuck.

Only Cute Honey and Devilman pre Crybaby are any good. Mazinger and Getter is mechashit while Violence Jack is just too edge.

Does Blue Gender have any prominent female characters that are not "sexy"?

>Totoro is hot garbage and dull as fuck.
it must've sucked to have such a sad childhood.

>mechashit

Your opinion is hot garbage, gaylord.

Tomino is a master of human emotion

>Directed by post-Genocyber Ohata
take a wild guess

>it must've sucked to have such a sad childhood.
watch it as an adult and maybe you won't have shitty bias opinions.
Great argument.

Now you know where Ritsuko comes from

That didn't tell me much, but MAL lists female characters, at least, and looks like there's a good chance they aren't "sexy".

Was about to start the anime earlier today but realized I wouldn't enjoy it if it didn't have female characters

I can't believe Anno worshiping idiots shill this garbage.

Tomino truly understands the female mind.

Decent list for newcomers, but what the fuck are those colors? Just use black and white.

>shitting on mecha
>edge
Head on back to Sup Forums anytime.

The TV series has some issues, but Be Invoked is a masterpiece.

No

Watching this right now it's pretty good I feel VA and sound mixing is off.

Thank you so much.

>liking mecha
How precious

>Cutey Honey
>good
The OP is just about the only good thing about the show. No plot to speak of, shitty characters, awful humour, and dull, poorly animated fights.

Nausicca is kinda like a leas good Mononoke. It's got a lot of similar themes about man and nature but it's not as ethically complex.

>What is THAT part?
The island where Nadia acts super out of character and then a brief part after that that might be even worse.

Be Invoked is still a hot mess like the show. If it weren't for the ending and the fact that Anno likes it (hell that's why I watched it) I don't think it would be remembered so fondly.

It's a Yoshiyuki Tomino work - of course it is going to be popular due to the fact that it is of extremely high quality (I don't see why you would think it is a mess when it is so well paced, animated, and directed) and people tend to check out his works when they want to watch old mecha anime because they know of Gundam. It has nothing to do with Anno. Most die-hard Eva fans don't care enough about mecha anime to go check out some old series that influenced Eva.You still have half the american fandom who think that Eva is a critique and "deconstruction" of mecha, and say things like " The only mecha anime I like is Eva and Gurren Lagan". They have no idea that Eva is first and foremost a homage to all the cool Tomino and Nagai works that Anno grew up with. Likewise, people who are big into mecha are rarely Eva fans, and Be Invoked is universally acclaimed among those groups.

I'm trying to decide between starting Dougram or starting Lupin Part 4 tonight.

Obsessed

>but Be Invoked is a masterpiece.
No it isn't, idiot.

Retards like you just watch it, notice the epic soundtrack and the everybody dies ending and immediately throw the masterpiece label on. Your tiny brain isn't actually able to critically analyze the film to see just how big of a clusterfuck it is.

>I don't see why you would think it is a mess when it is so well paced, animated, and directed
It sure is easy to spurt out rubbish like this, not so easy to back it up, eh?
>and Be Invoked is universally acclaimed among those groups.
Right so because a movie is "universally acclaimed" among some groups you mentioned, we're supposed to believe it's a masterpiece?
Fuck me there have been a lot of dumbasses like you in these threads lately.

youtube.com/watch?v=zUYcZ3ZQoOg

Demonstrate what is actually wrong with it.

>It sure is easy to spurt out rubbish like this, not so easy to back it up, eh?

How have you backed up your claim that it is bad? I at least gave some reasons why it is good. You have given nothing so far.

>Right so because a movie is "universally acclaimed" among some groups you mentioned, we're supposed to believe it's a masterpiece?

Improve your reading comprehension. The fact that mecha fans love it - and the fact that mecha fans generally aren't big Eva fans, shows that people aren't generally into it just because Anno cited it as an influence for Eva.

Is Dunbine worth checking out?

I'm watching episode 16 right now. I was pretty bored and a little confused up to this point, but it's just starting to get good

Yes. But probably only for people who really like Tomino's directing style - it really feels like the prototype for Zeta Gundam.

>Demonstrate what is actually wrong with it.
You're the idiot calling it a masterpiece here. Why don't YOU back that up with more than just "uhh great this, great that"

Let's find out!

Nausicaa's ending did feel sort of abrupt, even as a viewer with no knowledge of the manga at the time, but it's a solid watch for sure.

>How have you backed up your claim that it is bad?
I'm not the user who claimed it was bad, I'm just saying I don't care for dumbasses like you.
>I at least gave some reasons why it is good
No you didn't, fuckbrain.

I thought it was hilarious how much slapping there was in Brain Powerd, but now I see how only barely I scratched the surface of true TomiKino.

t. pedro

Tomikino is Turn A. Few Tomino standard peculiarities there.

Reposting from last threads discussion on cells:
>There's some early 2000's stuff that I can't quite tell if it's cells or not. Anyone have a retard's guide? Is it listed anywhere?
>Obvious shit like grain and dust when panning scenes is obvious in older HQ shows.
>Is Ayashi No Ceres cells or digital? Is Yugioh cells or digital?
For the dude who agreed with me and also had trouble, I found some cell auctions for Ayashi. That seems like a decent way, I think. Japanese name of show + セル (cell). I think that works?

I prefer pre-2000's show aesthetically, but I'm not sure how much of that is... just aesthetic of the time vs cell or digital method.

That use of color though.

I finished watching GE999 last year and I really want to watch it again already... Probably going to check out the movie or Harlock instead though

Dumb question but if Leiji Matsumoto has any good artbooks I'd love recs. I'm really in love with his style

Yeah, the colouring is fantastic. Pity I don't like much of what's coloured though. Honey's designs are good, but I hate everyone else except the Fedora Goons. Backgrounds are neat when they're mostly abstract, but are poor when they actually try to depict a place.

>No actual points
>Just insults

I guess this is just trolling, or are you two just miserable people?

Anyways we can get into it: Be Invoked's animation is particularly strong in the way that Itano utilized dynamic perspective changes and shifts with the mecha, lasers, and missiles through multiple locations across different dimensions within shots so to create an immersive sense of three dimensional space during the battles. He managed to make the battles feel chaotic and yet grounded due how much spontaneous and individuated movements the different actors in the battle engage in. This creates a sense of individual pilots all making individual choices and having to account for their own particular situation within the battles, ramping up the immersion even more. Combining his mastery of perspective and the highly detailed and controlled chaos of his choices of how to have multiple different actors move in unique ways in the battles,you get battle scenes that are particularly exciting and realistic, while ultimately being a product of imagination without real references in reality. This kind of animation requires a massive amount of abstraction of how physics and optics works, so to account for things like thrust and momentum in space, and how moving representations shift across lines of vision, without having good real life examples to copy from. It makes something ultimately fantastical feel immersive and realistic, which is an incredibly difficult feat.

Having him on board doing animation is pretty much a guarantee to get the best space combat possible, and Be Invoked is up there with his best works in this regard - though maybe not quite at the level of DYRL.

Objectively good and objectively bad don't exist because good and bad are inherently entrenching in subjectivity.

You literally had no points to begin with, idiot.

>Anyways we can get into it: Be Invoked's animation is particularly strong in the way that Itano utilized dynamic perspective changes and shifts with the mecha, lasers, and missiles through multiple locations across different dimensions within shots so to create an immersive sense of three dimensional space during the battles. He managed to make the battles feel chaotic and yet grounded due how much spontaneous and individuated movements the different actors in the battle engage in. This creates a sense of individual pilots all making individual choices and having to account for their own particular situation within the battles, ramping up the immersion even more. Combining his mastery of perspective and the highly detailed and controlled chaos of his choices of how to have multiple different actors move in unique ways in the battles,you get battle scenes that are particularly exciting and realistic, while ultimately being a product of imagination without real references in reality. This kind of animation requires a massive amount of abstraction of how physics and optics works, so to account for things like thrust and momentum in space, and how moving representations shift across lines of vision, without having good real life examples to copy from. It makes something ultimately fantastical feel immersive and realistic, which is an incredibly difficult feat.
and now you rely on a pasta. Embarrassing.

I just wrote that, stop deflecting from the fact that you have no points and actually engage in this conversation honestly.

Are you a 14 year old going through an emo phase?

Cel, not Cell. Although Cell was originally drawn on cels. And the different isn't just cel vs digital, it's all the shitty CG tools and effects they use now. I've seen some beautiful digital stuff, but CGshit is doing to anime what it did to live action and western animation.

>I just wrote that
No you didn't, retard. If you did, you would've had something more to say in the first place instead of "I don't see why you would think it is a mess when it is so well paced, animated, and directed".

Besides, even that pasta is full of shit. That movie was your average Tomino clusterfuck with weird, inhuman characters doing weird, over the top things the whole time. It's difficult to get invested in any character because the focus shifts too frequently. Again, retards like you just mindlessly label it a masterpiece because of the soundtrack and the robot emitting sparkles (so deep, so thought provoking!).

Not him, but that's just a bunch of random insults with no examples. Great argument.

>Not him
Easy to say that when your back's against the wall, eh?

By all means, go ahead and point out exactly where the film matches your hilariously delusional pasta:

youtube.com/watch?v=sRrdP9GJPqo

Still not the same person. Also, I just bothered to search that post. It isn't pasta. Learn how to use Google.

can't believe i put off watching this for so long

>No you didn't, retard. If you did, you would've had something more to say in the first place instead of "I don't see why you would think it is a mess when it is so well paced, animated, and directed".

There is no logical connection between those two things.

>Besides, even that pasta is full of shit.
>The paragraph is about the quality of the animation
>Goes on to say absolutely nothing about the animation at all in order to try to refute it

Holy shit dude, please learn some critical reasoning skills and come back. Or just graduate high school or something.

>That movie was your average Tomino clusterfuck with weird, inhuman characters doing weird, over the top things the whole time.

"Clusterfuck" is just an empty derogative term - it has no subtance. Calling a character "weird" is a generic subjective evaluation that can be equally applied to any character without having anything to do with what the character is actually behaving. Give examples of what you are talking about.

>It's difficult to get invested in any character because the focus shifts too frequently.

You not being able to keep up with multiple character arcs at once enough to personally feel invested is not a knock against the show.
The decentralization is an important part of the narrative because it emphasizes that the story is about humanity as a whole and their demons, paranoia and the desperate condition they find themselves as they engage in futile warfare. Too much focus on one character would entirely miss the point of the narrative and its themes. You are mistaking how Tomino uses the structural elements of his works to emphasize their thematic core as a flaw when it is actually just a very subtle and well conceived directorial flourish that he takes on as a signature part of his style.

I wish I could watch this again for the first time. The dialogue is god-tier.

Here, 480p is not fun to look at.
youtu.be/I3vNcFFYx78?t=2m3s
The scenes featured in this panel are all good examples of what I explained when it comes to Itano's animation.

>You not being able to keep up with multiple character arcs at once enough to personally feel invested is not a knock against the show.
Oh ok, it's not the fault of the writer/director for trying and failing to keep the viewer engaged in 10+ different ridiculous characters, it's the viewer's fault. Typical argument from a moronic fanboy.

The rest of your post is shitspewing and use of words you don't understand. Story about humanity as whole? Yeah, heard that explanation about a million times.
>Too much focus on one character would entirely miss the point of the narrative and its themes
What? Please elaborate on this.
>You are mistaking how Tomino uses the structural elements of his works to emphasize their thematic core as a flaw when it is actually just a very subtle and well conceived directorial flourish that he takes on as a signature part of his style
Big words from a tiny brain. I can't question your mindless worship of an anime director of all things. That said, I could say that about Glasslip and it would mean just as little.

Sweetheat, missile spam and sparkles isn't masterful animation.

This is masterful animation:

youtube.com/watch?v=C4f9qlTylKk

>Reddit Rose

>it's not the fault of the writer/director for trying and failing to keep the viewer engaged in 10+ different ridiculous characters
I was engaged.
>The rest of your post is shitspewing and use of words you don't understand
Baseless insult, not an argument.
>Please elaborate on this.
He just did. Can't you read?

Stupid nigger, fuck off with that shit.

>Asshurt Evafags: the thread