Fansubs are dead. Let's reminisce.

Good riddance. This is free market at work

>memesubs are dead
And nothing of value was lost.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Literally nothing wrong with communism there

Those are all equally awful

Some things just don't translate well.

It's not like you can do TL notes in anime without it looking bad either.

>drama mid-season and show gets dropped
>subs that read like a game of telephone with a group of drunks
>tl. note: if you were a real anime fan you wouldn't need this translated
>show never gets picked up at all

The only people who are clamoring for fansubs back are shonenfags who only watched The One Big Show that was guaranteed to get subbed.

There are still plenty of sub groups, they're just slow as fuck and rarely notable enough to gather a following.

Fansubs are still around, they're usually subbing older shows that no one has done before. And just like back in the heyday of fansubbing, they still work at a snail's pace.

That's fine, Rolling Shit was El Shito anyway.

Joshiraku would never have gotten subbed if it wasn't for fansubs.
At least not decently.

Commiesubs are always the best. This is just one more example of that.

Yes you can. Sure as hell looks better than some terrible attempt at a rewrite.

Ah, yes, the arguments over which Japanese words were special and couldn't be translated.

Commie unironically has the best line.

What's the most manga GTO fansub?

We're in the best timeline

Noukome was a treat

Subs for Seitokai Yakuindomo are full of TL notes because of all the adult jokes and puns, looked okay. Better than the translators' rushed attempts at humor anyway.

>It's not like you can do TL notes in anime without it looking bad either.
Pretty much every pun like this can be solved by putting a one word note directly above the text containing the pun in a smaller font.

Do the japs replace phone numbers with X's just in case some autists try calling it and it happens to be someone's actual number?

> baiku re--su
God, this language is terrible.

Good riddance.

I'm willing to bet most of those who posted "Good riddance" in this thread don't speak Japanese and simply jumped on the bandwagon.

Do you really think there's phone numbers that start with 555, user?

Commie was my favorite RIP In Peace. I have all their Bake - monogatari works. Wish we could turn back time. To the good dope days.

This is what peak perfect translation looks like.

All I want are literal translations with the occasional TL note to cover untranslatable complexities. If I hear a proper noun at the start of a sentence I don't want showing up 5 seconds later. Don't drop the fucking honorifics. Everyone already knows what onii-chan means you don't have to translate it or change it to the subjects actual name for whatever the fuck reason. All of this shit ruins immersion every time.
>Just learn nip
fuck you
>It's not like you can do TL notes in anime without it looking bad either.
Just read faster.

No idea, is there?

> If I hear a proper noun at the start of a sentence I don't want showing up 5 seconds later.
The word order in nip is different. They also call one another by their surnames in formal situations, instead of "you".

There's a reason no decent translator does what you demand, and that's because it leads to an unnatural mess that sounds like a machine translation. I get that anime is different from manga because you can hear the original audio too, but if it bothers you that much just learn the fucking language instead of whining about it, it's not hard.

>The word order in nip is different.
That's not how English works. You can change around the order of pretty much everything in a sentence while having it still make complete sense.

I actually like commie subs for some shows significantly more than other groups. I come for the memes and stay for the memes.

English word order isn't as free as Japanese. If you move stuff around too much you get something that sounds like something someone that doesn't speak English would say. There are examples of translations being retarded but Japanese is different enough that a direct translation would look bad.

> You can change around the order of pretty much everything in a sentence while having it still make complete sense.
Bullshit. It only works in languages like Russian, and changing the word order still slightly alters the meaning, usually by making the sentence more rude.
> Посмотри на меня
> Look at me. (I want to show you something)
> На меня посмотри.
> Look at me. (You're looking at something else and it irritates me.)

In English, with its poor grammar, changing the word order in most cases changes the meaning completely.
> The bear killed the rabbit.
> The rabbit killed the bear.
In Russian
> Медведь убил кролика.
> The bear killed the rabbit.
> Кролика убил медведь.
> It was the bear who killed the rabbit, not someone else.

To be specific, it works in languages with abundant morphology

I don't agree with the other user, but English can do this too, it's called a hyperbaton. In that case it would be "Killed the rabbit, the bear". It makes sense, but sounds unnatural, which is why literal translations do not a good fansub make.

fansubs really only make sense for unsubbed shows or well encoded BD's, 90% of people will just download the first one available regardless of subquality

>in english we just say certain words with a different intonation and it completely changes the meaning of the sentence.
Man, English must be a bitch to learn. People say the tones in Chinese are complicated but this is an entirely different thing.

>The BEAR killed the rabbit. (It was the bear and not someone else)
>The bear KILLED the rabbit. (The bear killed the rabbit, it did not do something else to the rabbit)
>THE bear killed the rabbit. (It was a special bear)
>The bear killed the RABBIT. (It was the rabbit that was killed, not something else)

We're talking about the word order, not intonation.

Russian has something similar like that other user said. The stuff at the end of a sentence is the stuff that gets the focus. I'm pretty sure plenty of other languages differing intonations like that too. Japanese even has a little bit of it I think. More with drawing words out than what happens in English.

Word order in English serves the function that cases or particles do in other languages. Japanese has grammatical markers with particles like ha, ga, etc. Russian and a lot of other languages have various means of marking cases like nominative, accusative, dative, etc and so they can move words around more without completely changing the meaning, though there are some changes that still happen with changing word order like the other user pointed out.

Heavenrend

But emphasizing different words happens in every language, anonymous.

No, it's a fake area code for fictional numbers.

Thank you based CR and Netflix for saving us from amateur subs like those.

I always liked the commie one, I dont get why it triggered everyone

Whatever happened to Hadena and their incorporated rancors?

The Noucome subs were awesome.

This was the one show where over the top weeabooism and shitty jokes masquerading as translations were a perfect fit.

If you need subs to watch Joshiraku you are not the target demographic and won't get most of the jokes anyways.

Good fucking riddance. Dropped fansubs when someone translated manga as comics. I think it was in ika musume by vivid or another group

Can you explain to a pleb what is funny about taking a simple word and writing each syllable as an intimidatingly complex Chinese character and what does it have to do with thugs?

You can do that with English too. Maybe not as easily with rudimentary sentences like your examples, but any line long enough to need to split the subtitle lines (which is what that user is referring to) will most likely have plenty of room to move things around. You can pretty much move a clause to any point in the sentence and it'll be grammatically correct if you use commas and conjunctions well.

Bye, Felicia

The whole point of fansubs were to bring Japanimation into English since the shows weren't available overseas. Not to pirate.

The honorable groups disbanded since shows are picked up regularly.

Ai like Hibiki.

>Japanimation
How fucking old?

They need to move to translating manga since there's a criminally high amount of manga that is never translated.

Why does she dress as a lady of the night?

I unironically like Commie subs

Stay mad, weebtrash.

It's unexplainable.
If it has to be explained, then it's not funny any more.

It's basically:
>Nip: How many layers of puns are you at
>Eng: Uhh dunno maybe 2?
>Nip: You're but a baby [kanji double entendres]

kys retard

Oh right

>The rabbit was killed by the bear

>inb4 muh active voice
No fuck off that's a stupid rule and it's idiotic to stick to it religiously

What are you trying to say?

A literal translation wouldn't have any of those extraneous words like the, was, or by.

I'm saying that in order to mess with English word order, all you need is different articles or sometimes different inflection

:v

Well duh. Are you sure you understand what that post is about?

Do you even know Japanese?

A "literal" translation is going to be illegible regardless of the flexibility of the language
熊が兎を殺した is untranslatable to English "literally" because English doesn't have subject and object markers

All the post is really saying is that English is a relatively uninflected language compared to Russian and Japanese, word order is irrelevant

Thank God. Fuck Commie.

Wrong. I said that changing the word order alters the meaning of a sentence EVEN in a language with a rich morphology like Russian. I didn't say that there was no way to change the structure of the sentence in such a way that the words in question switch places without changing the meaning.
You can do that, but that won't be the same sentence anymore. "The bear killed the rabbit", I don't see any "was" or "by" here.

there was no free market you idiot
it was corporatism

Commie's line is actually good.

Much like North Korea is a Democracy, cartels and corporate oligopolies call themselves "the free market". Using misleading terms, corrupting other terms and projecting everything else they do unto their opponents has been a staple of marketing and politics for thousands of years.

That can be hard even for simple translations like French/English. A vast amount of meaning is based on the context, intonation and references of words which may have multiple meanings apiece - and not all the same ones in different languages. Worse yet sometimes one language has a single word describing a specific thing, and there's no adequate description shorter than a whole damn paragraph in the other language.

Some of the most important parts of doing proper translation are getting the intent and spirit of the words to their intended audience where these may be all but impossible to communicate across the language barrier.

I have no idea what you're talking about my nakama

yes but to different effect sometimes.
there's also the issue of articles and pronouns which can't always match up perfectly:

>On l'a bien fourré
Now in english you gotta choose: First which definition of "fourré" are you going to use? Better have context, as it could be any number of things! And then there's the issue of "l'a", which is basically neutral.
Did you con a mark? Did you two-team a prostitute? Did you screw over a politician or an entire party? Did you fuck a program up?

The least likely translation here would be the direct word for word one that just autoassumes the neutral pronoun meant it was an object:
>We stuffed it well.

>arkard (his name is NOT alucard)

The fuck.

Japanese R/L gets you fucked up sometimes I guess

He’s actually called Aakaado instead of Arukaado for some reason.

>You can change around the order of pretty much everything in a sentence while having it still make complete sense.

That's one of the easy ways to tell the difference between a native speaker and someone who learned later. Get certain nuances wrong and it just sounds completely wrong to a native.

>all of the anons ITT that are happy that good translations, exceptional typesetting, and great encoding are disappearing
All of these were more a decade ahead in the fansubbing world, and you're happy they're going away? Fuck off, seriously.
More often than not, fansubbers do a better job than the people whose actual job is subbing and typesetting the crap. Honestly, Commie are doing a great job with the Monogatari Series, and THIS is the kind of quality paying customers should be getting - not something that just subs speech and leaves (oftentimes important) written text onscreen unsubbed.

Why don't my textbooks say anything about this?

Because it's not nearly as set in stone or universal as the image claims

>tfw always adhered to this without noticing or giving it any thought