Why is this considered good?

My friend is making me watch this show and we're 5 episodes in and I am finding it to be an absolute drag. After the garbage fire of the first episode I was left with a sense of dread in the upcoming 20 plus episodes. Why is this show so well liked? Someone explain this to me please

Value is subjective.

I didn't start liking it until near the end of S1. S2 is actually enjoyable.

At least is better than the garbage written by Nasu.

I feel like being less bad then something even worse doesn't merit the sort of wide spread popularity this who has
So you're telling me its not going to improve for at least 13 episodes? Oh boy

I said near the end of S1. You're at 6, and 11 is where I thought it got better.

>friend

READ FAGGOT READ.

People like it because it shows off what a "proper" Grail war looks like. It doesn't have the same thematic impact (or realistically being beaten over the head with themes like a fucking club because nasu isn't subtle at all) that playing through Fate, UBW, and Heaven's Feel in order will but it's asinine to think an anime will be able to do the same thing that a hundred hour VN will.

I mostly suspect it's because it was a lot of people's first exposure to the franchise and Sup Forums loves calling people secondaries more than Sup Forums likes to say nigger.

It's not set in a fucking highschool which is already enough to be above average.

the world buildimg takes a while and its a bit of a drag but once the actual fights get going it becomes very enjoyable

Totally disagree. The fights are boring as shit.

All of this is right. It might seem to be a drag but it builds up. The show is really good at taking your expectations of certain characters for a ride and making you think about who you like and why; then it uses qualities from each major character to operate as foils in others, making the confrontations and discussions more interesting. If you don't like it after all that then maybe it's not for you.

Skip Episode 10 though. Except for maybe the last five minutes.

Because some people have patrician taste.

Did you watch or read F/SN first?

didnt mean the fights per se, more like how things happened, how kiritsugu deals with everyone, the plamning, .

durong the first part, its all about, hey im doing this and that guy is doing that, until the actual hostilities start and shit hits the fan and you see plans work/fail etc itvis when it gets good

I haven't seen/read any Fate and my friend is trying to use this to get me into the series, I'm just not enjoying any of it so far but when I hit the web I only ever see praise for the show which is why I ask what's so good about it

Your friend is an idiot. Half the shit won't mean anything to you if you don't know the setting.

They said Staynight is bad, watch this one instead

It's not bad, it's just not great, and it's necessary to enjoy Zero and UBW regardless.

Though really you should read the novels, but whatever.

Also you got spoilered for a ton of stuff in F/SN, so be sure to kick your "friend" in the dick.

Novel reading doesn't really lend itself to being a group activity

It's shit, like the rest of the franchise. Don't listen to fatefags, it took them 3 episodes to figure out LE was garbage.

The entire fate series is garbage. It's a sign of terrible shit taste if you know someone who likes it. Though if they say they only like it because of Illya then they might still be saved.

You sound new to anime. Are you?

Its based on a game about sex

Edge, animation, teenage philosophy
instant 10/10 for secondaries

That's because F/Z puts the War in Holy Grail War
Lots of tragic backstories, shit ton of underhandedness and Urobuchi's trademark deconstruction of the characters' beliefs and raisons d'etre all makes Zero seem lot more mature when compared to FSN

Because everyone can't get off butcher's dick

Can I watch Illya without having watched anything else?

The first time I watched it years I thought it was good but I was just getting back into anime after a long break. Doesn't hold up after regaining my perspective. My guess is that people who like it either are fans of Urobuchi or Fate, are new to anime, or just aren't critical viewers. Related to that last o e I can't even begin to tell you how many people I've seen with more than half the shows they've seen rated 8 or better.

Hot girls, Wagner would bust a nut over it.

Because it is good. You just have shit taste, faggot secondary.
Also
>getting into fate in 2018
fuck off my board newshit

Because you have shit taste

Prequels get released after for a reason. I can't assure you you will like it if you watch F:SN or F:UBW, nor that you will like either of those, but it's better if you watch it after. It has a slow start however.

why would I read a sequel before watching what came before it?

Anta baka?

It isn't a sequel, zero is a prequel.

Autism

Pretty much but it is a shame it is filled with yurifag shit.

Thats fine, fate/zero is not for everyone. You don't have to like it, as long as you understand that liking it or not, it is the best the fate franchise has to offer, and that every other fate is objectively worse.

Dont, just dont.
Too much useless fanservice. read HF route from FSN instead.

But I like yurifag shit
I don't mind fanservice, But I'll check out F/sn anyways since everyone says it's the best

>Why is this show so well liked?
It's very pretty

>Can I watch Illya without having watched anything else?
You COULD, but you shouldn't. It's a self-contained story but it's full of call-backs and parallels to the main Fate trilogy and makes smaller references to the rest of the Nasuverse. It's not a pure fanservice thing like Carnival Phantasm and the Emiya Cooking shows, but you'll get a lot more out of it if you're familiar with what it's changed from the source material.
You should definitely at least read F/SN and watch Fate/Zero, and probably read Fate/Hollow Ataraxia too though it's not critical.

You have to read FSN first. Zero is nothing on its own, its a prequel intended to be watched after Stay Night.

>Too much useless fanservice

Kys fate/zero is the best fate

It would be right up your alley then. Magical girl stuff with actual yurifag shit.

Please tell me this is ironic

Official Fate anime ranking:
[Carnival Phantasm >] Oath Under Snow > Prisma Illya > Presage Flower > Zero > UBW > (Emiya Gohan) > DEEN/Stay Night > (Last Encore) > Apocrypha > DEEN UBW

second season is much better when they actually start killing each other but I guess it was necessary to establish the characters first

Watched it a while back and thought it was great
and then I grew up and realised that it's mediocre urobutcher edge at best

>friend is making me watch this
Friends make you less human. Back to MAL normalfag.

Putting Oath Under the Snow and Prillya above Heaven's Feel? The hell user.

Above a watered down version of the first third of Heaven's Feel, yes.
Oath Under Snow itself can be called sort of a compressed alternate Heaven's Feel but it's a strong story on its own even separate from the rest of Prisma, can tell its whole story over its runtime and most importantly it's faithful to the source manga. After the BD cleaned up the visuals I feel it's the strongest adaptation.
As for Prisma itself I'll admit the last two seasons haven't been quite as good as the first two, so maybe it shouldn't be quite that high.

This is how I want to die.

>useless fanservice

Go back to MAL with your friend, normalfag cancer.