How bad is Fairy Tail's writing

I know I could just find a youtube video or something that explains it, but hearing it from you guys would be the most fun.

It's the most bland shounen you can find, blander than Bleach and One Piece.
The characters are all stereotypes of stereotypes. Their evolutions are also the most stereotypical thing ever.
It would take too long to actually make a really fleshed out explanation why every character and story arc are bland.
Just tell yourself that it's the Brand X of shonen manga. No taste, no originality, no flavor.
In 1-2 years, everyone will have forgottent about its existence.

If you pick a random grade schooler he probably would write something more original.

Every tough enemy is beaten by nakama-power

It's not really bad per se.
Just a generic shonen that actually embraced the fanservice.

Guilty pleasure for some people.

It's like if someone drunk wrote a script, but then next week the script is wrote by another drunk who didn't read the previous one.
The guy will set up subplots and threats, go and tell WOW THIS GUY IS SO STRONG EVERYONE IS DONE FOR but then next week all the drama is dropped and the guy just jobs pathetically.
Like, you've got this new character who wants revenge on an established character. She's supposed to be really strong and threatening, but what she does first is throw up when she actually see the guy she wants to kill. 20 chapters later she actually fights Erza and actually wrecks her, the chapter ends with her unsheathing her sword for the first time to go for the dramatic kill. Next chapter? Just kidding, Erza blocked the blade even though she was getting destroyed by the sheathe. Then Erza one shots the character.

The old guildmaster with dozens of deathflags? He "dies" in every arc but survives. That's how it goes with every FT death, I can think of 5 or 6 examples.

Speaking of Erza, she gets destroyed by an opponent who then robs her of her senses. All 5. Next page? Wounded blind deaf Erza just beats the shit out of the opponent. No swords, she just punches her while the spectators go "How did she do it? I guess because she's Erza :^)"

The first third of the story is okay though.

Fairy Tail's writing is not bad per-se.

It is just the single most boring, bland, predictable thing I have ever read. There is not one single surprise in the entire length of its narrative.

The only thing it has going for it is that Mashima's art is actually very good, and moreover his girls are fucking 10/10 all around. If Fairy Tail were an H-Manga instead of a Battle Shonen, it would honest-to-God be one of the greatest things ever.

As someone with over 200 episodes (and counting) under my belt: the story is predictable and unoffensive.
Early on, the main group goes somewhere -> bad guy are up to REALLY BAD stuff -> they try to stop it but the bad guys are REALLY STRONG -> loljk time to get serious and win
Later, the same thing happens but the bad guys come to their guild or event so the same thing can happen.
The girls are extremely fappable, Happy and Wendy have great voices (in moon) or Wendy's dub is the best if you prefer English. I've watched the first 150 episodes both subbed and dubbed, either is fine.

>Fairy Tail's writing is not bad per-se.
>It is just the single most boring, bland, predictable thing I have ever read
That means pretty fucking bad in my bood

Well, you're not wrong. I just meant that, on a technical level, it's perfectly proficient.

About the only problem I have with the overall story in terms of structure and pacing would be the couple of timeskips. They seemed intended to shake up the status-quo, but neither really did much to that end, and it was business as usual shortly after both.

Manga is over, what is the point of talking about this?

that show had writing?

Hentai is the only good thing that came out of it in the end.
Hell, Mashima even abandonned nakama power becuas ehis characters just fucking win no matter the odds.

Fairy Tail is babby's first mediocre shonen. It gets a lot of shit because kids had only read 2 or 3 good shonen before reading FT. People say DBZ and the 'Big 3' were in the right place in the right time to be popular in the West. Fairy Tail was in a bad place in a bad time.

The plot tends to bend over for the sake of fanservice and the author clearly has no qualms introducing one-time random power ups out of nowhere to conclude fights even if it really isn't necessary. When I say it isn't necessary I mean that the power levels are inconsistent throughout the series and one's unique magic abilities or skills are completely irrelevant, it doesn't matter if one can control gravity, the good guy just punches him and win, it doesn't matter if one has control over time-space magic, the good guy punches him and win, or cuts him with his sword, or beats him with a random ice attack, abilities don't matter.
The story itself is fairly convoluted, with bits of time-travel, prophecies, and new elements introduced out of nowhere, for exemple the enemy nation that constitutes the final enemy of the series is introduced during the final arc with no previous mentions. There are also a few dropped plots here and there, for exemple the Raven Tail plotline went nowhere, the author seemed to have planted a seed at the beginning by having Gajeel spy on them as a double agent, but in the end it didn't contribute anything to the story and the author clearly had no idea where he was going with this. One major problem I have with Fairy Tail is that there are never any consequences for the main characters and they never really learn anything throughout their adventures, they are never faced with any real dilemna and that doesn't make for a particularly compelling reading experience.
And one last nitpick I have even though it isn't story related, is that outside drawing sexy girls, his art isn't that great, this is really apparent during fights where even if an attack is supposedly very powerful it will look the exact same as a weaker attack, there are no visual differences between the characters' attacks at the beginning of the series and at the end.

It's not bad, the art is one of the greatest in shonen manga, but it's full of great ideas not develloped and great characters not develloped eitheir, instead we get a shiotload of new uninteresting one.

I saw Mashima at a convention and I think he just wanted to make a generic shonen manga, he said what his thoughts were about shonen manga and it was basically "we fight then we turn friends", guess that's why he never took any risk.

SHUT UP AND POST LUCY'S FEET ALREADY

Still the sexiest

>that pic
Welp, time to fap.

>series full to titty monsters
>best girl is a loli (old woman)

Guilty pleasure series.
Even Black Clover is more original.
Not that cliches are bad.
Not even that FT's writing is bad.
FT just abuses cliches.

As you can see in your own picture that you posted, the writing is a masterpiece.

>he would watch or read this for the story.

it's worth reading for fanservice, waifus are top tier

20 episodes in, when does it get bad?

Depending on your standards, possibly not until they go to the alternate universe

>Both sub and dub
user what are you doing

I'm pretty sure FT was generic as hell for the sake of it. He just wanted to draw sexy af ladies and flashy fights while having the most generic and stereotypical shonen ever.
After this I'm guessing he'll probably fully realize some of the ideas he made during FT and make a proper story. FT seems like a giant idea vat for something he actually cares to do that he got paid to do

When your brain notices they've been looping the same arc since episode 5

Nobody read this shit for the story. The only reason people read it was for the girls.

>Hentai is the only good thing that came out of it in the end.
Not really, hentai artists really can't grasp the sexiness of the characters, I don't think I've ever seen a great hentai from Fairy Tail or One Piece, all because they can't imitate Mashima or Oda's characters proportions.

It shall always be known as the shounen hit manga desperately wanting to be a hentai deep down. It was basically One Piece for Perverts.