Why was it so succesful?

Why was it so succesful?

Miyazaki wannabe movie, that's why. It doesn't even come close to movies like princess mononoke.

Nice animations and a well made generic story that most people can relate to in some way.

Miyazakis movies are garbage tier. I've never understood why people praise Ghibli so fucking much.

True love is a fool's hope.

becuase it managed to make 60year old japanese people cry in public.

It's nothing like a Miyazaki film though, Makoto's style is completely different.

Please shut the fuck up. If you want to be contrarian go be somewhere else.

I'm not contrarian. I just think his movies are boring.

Because it had likable characters (I assume, never watched it)
That's literally the only factor in financial success. 5cm/s was cocksucked as a masterpiece by roneryfags too but it was low budget shit that never aired in cinemas so obviously it couldn't have any notable success or mainstream recognition.

Love doesn't actually exist.

Anyone else want a spinoff about the girl's two friends who got married? A nice cozy SOL about them would be nice.

Neither do you. You're all just figments in my dreamscape.

It's because this is exactly what most people want to see.
They don't care if the story is stupid.
They just want to see some likable characters and a story about love that they can relate to.

This is the exact opposite of something like Madoka Magica Rebellion, which most people simply won't understand.

>brainlet and normalfag friendly
>pretty visuals
>structure very simple to follow, there are even the radwimps "MVs" to kick in the turning points of the story to the audience
>the less you think about it, the better it is, this relates to the audience reached
Your name is the kind of story that is good when you don't think about it, but once your ceticism kicks in, things fall apart really fast. Since most normalfags tend to treat entertainment media as fast food, these kind of movies/anime/books/whatever more often than not get a pass and achieve popularity status.

everyone can enjoy it. i went to watch it 4 times during airing to show my support and quite a lot of parents brought their kids to watch it thinking maybe its disney

top visuals
top soundtrack
conventional but relateable characters
fairly conventional story with a nice twistaroo
some keit-ai meme magic.
I dunno why it blew up in particular but it is chock full of asian culture/folklore imagery, lots of stuff you would only pick up a second or third time watching.
Only thing I didn't like was the part of the plot to blow up the power transformer which would convince everyone to evacuate from a forest fire? I know they are just teenagers (and they mention this in the novel) but it still sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of it.

Because it did the Lake House right.

>things fall apart really fast.
the story is indeed very simple but even you don't get it
kinda of borrows the twist in a way but the lake house is also a remake of II mare a korean movie

How did they manage to not look at a fucking calendar or map at any point during their body swaps.

This is a major plothole to be honest, especially considering that they regularly used each other's phones, and well, phones display the current date and time on the homescreen.

t. brainlet

Shinkai

Beats me, I actually slept halfway through both times I tried to watch this.

Maybe because it was good

non-controversial, barebones yet relatable characters that pandered hard to both sexes (rough tokyo boy gets qt Yamato Nadeshiko from countryside, meek average girl from the countryside gets to experience Tokyo and meet a supportive man)
simple story with obvious emotional cues.
Good art
Music from a popular Japanese band
Played on the grief and fear of recent natural disasters in Japan
An absolute insane amount of marketting bux

It was a meh as fuck movie overall but it hit all the normalfag spots pretty well.

Why would you want to relate to characters so retarded they don't notice the date?

>An absolute insane amount of marketting bux
not true

that the movie was good was kind of a surprise to me. if i had to say why it was good, it would be because of good pacing, an interesting but simple story, nice music and more or less perfect execution.

>hired a bunch of expensive freelancers
>merchandise of literally everything in the movie
>getting RADWIMPS to do an original OST just for the movie
>huge amount of screenings all across Japan and China
It was obvious they put a ton of money into the project before it even became a hit. Honestly, the marketing team behind the movie deserves more credit for its success than Shinkai. The actual film was less ambitious than his other works.

It's extremely emotionally manipulative and audiences don't like to think. It's a decent popcorn movie but the praise it gets is a little sickening.

>The actual film was less ambitious than his other works.
Actually, I take that back. It was less ambitious from a literary standpoint, but from a visual standpoint you could argue it was his most ambitious.

all those things are common and they only expanded the screenings because of word of mouth
also why it stayed in theatres for 11 months

>It's extremely emotionally manipulative
>raise it gets is a little sickening
whats your top5 ghibli films. i just want to see if a certain one makes the list after reading this.

Visually amazing with a godlike OST but the story is okay at best.

Normiebait

It was planned to air in ~92 countries before it was even released.

>Normie

It was like the Titanic of anime. A visceral self-insert romance story glued to a tragedy. It hits all the right directional notes to emotionally manipulate you, and the characters are no-depth, blank slate young people that basically anyone can empathize with.

It's basically scientifically engineered to produce feels in a broad audience.

Funny because Titanic was one of the few movies that did better in Japan than Kimi no Na ha

Agreed.

trips checked. ghibli is confirmed as boring

Dubs confirmed

Gorgeous visuals, great soundtrack and most of all,it had a happy ending. The actual plot was nonsense though. But this movie runs on feels which is why it's popular with women.

It should have gone with the original troll ending, where it looked like it was going to pull a 5cm/s ending

7/10 at best.

>The actual plot was nonsense though.
made sense to me.

The only thing Shinkai's movies are good at is animation. This whole movie is just reused garbage from his earlier movies lol. This can't hold a candle to Mononoke Hime.